Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

I wanted to upload the code to codeplex at some point, but Github works too. I'm more familiar with subversion, but after reading some tutorials, I'm sad I waited so late to learn.

Anyway: Awful on GitHub

I've only uploaded version 1.x so far; 2.x is soon to follow. You wont be able to compile without the Telerik libraries, and sharing them seems to venture into :filez: territory. If anyone wants to pitch in, toss me an email or send me a PM.

Looking at this makes me really want to throw out all the models I was making for my Windows 8 project. Yours are much more logical than the inane bloated crap I'm using for mine, that's for sure.

For version 2, are you still going to use those Telerik libraries?

Also, sending a PM about helping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Edward IV posted:

Well, the Windows 8 app is using the grenade icon albeit partially truncated.
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/awful-forums-reader/996e798f-f73b-4b52-b86a-b28e64ec9324

That is unless drasticactions didn't get the memo or consult a mod or admin about it.

I never got a memo, but I knew about the logo issues before using it. No mod nor admin, including Lowtax, has complained about it though. I sent the app to Lowtax and he never told me to change it anyway. I mean, it's a silhouette of a grenade, not the official SA one.

If anyone wants it changed, we can totally do so.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Anyway I can get added to the beta as well?

Email = t_miller at outlook .com

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

Sure, I'll add you this afternoon. What phone are you using?

Lumia 920

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm not sure when your last release was, but verification times for Windows Phone and Windows 8 are a lot faster than they were. It's a day, usually less, to get a release out.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 25, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Thanks for adding me to the beta list! I hit a few (obscure and not worth fixing at this moment) bugs and have a little bit of feedback

Well, I saw it. ;)

If you go to a thread, and click on a link in that thread that goes to a different thread, the app correctly redirects you to that thread. However if you then press back, it takes you to the forum/bookmarks page. If you click the original thread you went into again, you get this screen. Likewise, if you click on a malformed thread or post URL, the thread will hang trying to load it. It won't crash though.

I tried to post in Japanese. 失敗しました。:( Encoding is the worst part of working on these apps and I also hate doing it.

In a locked thread, links to edit, quote, or reply are removed. However, in forums like in Comedy Goldmind, even though you can't post in threre, not all the threads are marked as locked (like how in the other forums thread views, the thread table row has a "locked" css class). As a result, the buttons still appear. If you click on them, it throws up that error. I get why it's that specific error, since you're not expecting this sort of thing to happen, but just so you know it is there.

I'm confused by the bookmarks long list selector. The order seems really out of place. The first thread matches the same order as the forums, but after that it goes random. Also since it does not show how many unread messages there are, I don't know which ones have new posts in them.

Also, I'm sure this has come up before and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm lost on why does it not take to you the last unread post in a thread. I mean, it does not have to scroll to the post, it could take you to the page itself. For example in my bookmarks, I have a thread I know I've opened before, that has unread messages. I click on it for the first time in your app, and it takes me to the first page, which I don't want. Now, if you go to the last page, leave the thread, and come back, it goes to the last thread. Am I doing something wrong?

These are small issues, and I mostly checked for them because I've been fixing them for my app, so I wanted to see how other apps handled the errors. I love the thread template and header, and I love the Imgur support. I also wish I had my front page article viewer actually running at some point (which the idea for I stole from you). Now that I've actually had experience making a few Windows Phone apps, I might be able to contribute back to you so if and when you open up this code, I'll be sure to fork it and actually try and help out this time :).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

On the bookmarks tab it shows unread posts as a number on the little picture on the right hand side.

I don't see it :shrug:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

• Threads with the lowest unread post count
  • Threads with the highest post count
  • Unread threads (which shouldn't be in your bookmarks, honestly)
  • Threads with no new posts

This is how I consume my bookmark list on SA, so I imposed it on everyone else :v: It takes some getting used to, but I haven't had any complaints about it so far.

Ahh, okay. My program has it so the highest unread counts are at the top. After those it goes back to the forums layout. I assumed everyone used it my way :v:.

Turning on the color for unread thread posts in CP fixed the bookmarks for me, but I'm not sure why it's needed at all. Assuming your parsing logic is the same as before, you are going through each row to create the thread entity. You would check for the div "lastseen" and if it's there, you can parse it. Otherwise, you would ignore it. I get why you would check for "seen" in the thread row too, since then you really do know the thread was last seen, but the very presence of the "lastseen" div should be prove enough that the thread was read before.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

Long story short, the new look and feel is due to stripping off the third party tools I used to make the app. All libraries are open source, so anyone can grab the code and work on it. All the cool stuff in the previous one will be back, it'll just take some time to reimplement it again.

Speaking of which, where is that source drop? I've been trying to get back into Windows Phone full time (for both actually using my apps and because I want to) and I really want to see if I can fix/add new features, and not break existing stuff in the process :frogbon:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any word on the app not loading on some mobile connections? My lunch times in work are not Awful, they're just awful.

Did you try loading the actual forums in IE to see if it worked? I have not seen his code yet, but I can not fathom why it would matter.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Front Page part works, it's all the other parts in the app that don't load on a mobile connection. Every other app works fine on mobile. I have also recently reset my phone, and it's made no difference.

So if you go to forums.somethingawful.com in IE on your phone, it works?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

code:
if (user == "WattsvilleBlues") { allowMobile = true; }

You see, then he could just change his Username and it would work. You would check for his user ID instead, that won't change :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

For developers -- the code is hosted on github:

http://github.com/bootlegrobot/awfuldotnet

If you guys find any bugs or have a feature request, post them here (in this thread) as usual and I'll add them to the issue tracker.

I forked it a few days ago. For some reason I can't deploy it to my phone though; it kept getting

"Deployment optimization failed with error 'An item with the same key has already been added.'. "Please rebuild the project and try again.""

I have no idea what that means, and Google did not help. Once I figure that out though, I wanted to try and add in Similies and a preview option to the reply view. We'll see what happens I guess :shrug:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

bootleg robot posted:

Yeah, never heard of that error. The build did succeed though, right? I want to make sure I set up the solution correctly. NuGet should take care of any missing libraries...

Yeah, I could run it on the simulator, but not deploy it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't understand, we already have the best forum reader?

Nah, it's being ported right now :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

You don't seriously expect me to use something that's been tainted with Apple germs do you?

Apple? :crossarms:
This is a universal app based on my Windows 8 code.

Likewise:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

(though I'm not sure why we need two competing readers, surely it would be more effective to collaborate?)

Not really. We have different approaches on how to handle issues (Note: Bootleg's handles um' better than me), and what features we want to add. I also want to try on my own to find better solutions and programming approaches. I think with each program I make my code gets better and better (or at least more logical and less insane) as I find better ways to do things. I don't want to screw up his program with my lovely code basically.

It's not really competing anyway. With more Awful apps comes more developers and users bringing new features to the table. We all influence each other and get us thinking about how to make our apps better. For example, I totally took the idea for the front page functions from his app and added it to mine.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

edit: Also which HTML parser are you using?

HtmlAgilityPack, the same one I use in my app.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Sounds like an epedemic, or maybe :choco: changed something that broke everything.

It would break more apps if that were the case. As far as I can tell mine still works... or at least, no one as told me yet.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Yeah this isn't strictly necessary in order to get the functionality (in general). Let me know if you need a hand, bootleg robot, and I can double-check how Awful.app does it.

I do it based on the "pti" number, which is included on the query string when you load a thread that's been viewed. I get that number and scroll to the post after the web view is loaded.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I am 99% sure it has to do with the new grenade icons, if you go to the desktop, next to the names of users that have platinum (mine should say AwfulPoster after I post this; edit: Yep). It did this when Ralp had his custom moperator icon too, a lumpy star that changed from gray to yellow.

Yeah, that's exactly it. He's searching for the type of user (Administrator, Mod, Author) and then getting the title from that. Where as mine works by happenstance, because I just get the Author div and don't check for the status of the user. I'm going to push up a fix for it to support plat users.

EDIT: And I just put in a pull request.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 16, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

What is the title of the app? Searching for Something Awful brings up some unrelated stuff and a slenderman book.

Awful Forums Reader. It's a WinRT app, so it only works on Windows Phone 8.1.

I'm looking at the source code right now for Awful. and I have some ideas on how to improve it with the stuff I've done that should be simple enough to add. I'm also interested in backporting the Windows 8 version back to Windows Phone 8.1. I'm not sure if he's doing anything with it, since it's been untouched for a few months.

We'll see.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Speaking of which, drastic, how close are you to being done with that rewrite of your app/adding in that sample data (because I'm a lazy butt that doesn't like compiling things)? Mostly I really want to fix that bug where it jumps down the page when you hit next, refreshes the bookmarks every time you head back, and muck with the CSS and XAML.

The sample data has been there for quite some time. It should just appear in the designer. The refresh bookmarks issue is because I reload the entire view model when you go back to that view, rather than refresh that thread.

But Honestly, I'm thinking of just adding features and enhancing Awful. And drop my program. His core project is a lot cleaner then mine and is a true Plc. I'm going to look more into it tomorrow and see how hard it would be.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

I just noticed that Bootleg made a winRT version of his app as well... It's really good, I particularly like the way it keeps bookmarks open in a panel on one side. I'm using it on my desktop, and It actually looks better than the forums in a regular browser. Having a panel on one side keeps the text in an easily readable column, unlike Awful forums reader which spreads it right across the screen.

My biggest problems with his Windows 8 app was the post view was a very very simple flyout. I changed that earlier today to match mine

If I have time I'll keep working on it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Are you sure this is actually the cause? That sounds really weird to me considering the forums html basically didn't change. It was pretty much just a CSS change to add those icons.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Windows phone and have never actually used the app, but I do contribute to the iOS Awful app so I'm at least somewhat familiar with scraping the forums.

This directly broke it. He was checking for very specific CSS classes so he could identify each user (Normal user, Admin, Mod, and so on). This was a new type that he did not have, so it took it as an error, did not bother parsing the name and set it to a default.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

I try to guess which parts of the markup are least likely to change or stop working, then I still gently caress it up anyway.

Hey Drastic Actions, I think you're the only one here right now with the skills and interest to fix up Awful.xap. Maybe if you patch it up and send a submittable binary to bootleg robot, something they can just sign and submit, y'all can get a fix going.

I did send a patch. He never accepted it. Also he's the only one that can make a submittable package; he has the cert keys. I could always upload my own version to the store with the fix though. :shrug:

EDIT: But as more people go from Windows Phone 8 to 8.1, they are going to see other issues. The silverlight webview in 8.1 is foobar-ed, as it were, and scrolls like poo poo. My app is fully WinRT and works fine, and has quite a few more features than his, but his is more stable at the moment.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Right. I was thinking the next step: present bootleg robot with a package that's submittable with as little work as possible on his part. For example, if it was an iOS app, I would send a compiled .iap that just needed to be resigned and submitted.

You can't. As far as I know, he has to build the whole thing himself, with his keys. I can either build it for the store, or build one not for the store. You can't add the certs after the fact.

As far as I know.

• Locked thread