Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I have a new toy to try out... Time to begin my adventures in smoking!

Needs some love and care, but for £80? not gonna argue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome! It doesn't need to be pretty to work well. Check out how to modify cross flow smokers to be reverse flow, it'll make cooking a little easier for you in the long run.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 14, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Olpainless posted:

I have a new toy to try out... Time to begin my adventures in smoking!

Needs some love and care, but for £80? not gonna argue.

Where did you find it? That’s same as ours and like 1/20th of the price lol. gently caress

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Someone me and wife know getting rid of it. Had no idea of the value of it til it arrived.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I want to try my hand at brisket again, but all Costco had were flats. Should I overpay at the local grocery for a whole packer brisket, or is the flat good enough? Last time I tried one it was just the point, and it didn't turn out great so I don't want to repeat that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Enos Cabell posted:

I want to try my hand at brisket again, but all Costco had were flats. Should I overpay at the local grocery for a whole packer brisket, or is the flat good enough? Last time I tried one it was just the point, and it didn't turn out great so I don't want to repeat that.

I say just wait out prices for a full packer. I enjoy a mix of some fatty/moist meat to some drier/leaner meat.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just the flat is fine imo, just be sure not to trim too much fat and you'll be good.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So i used to make sausage for a living, but that was 10 years ago. Its amazing what you forget when you stop doing it. I want to do a smoked jalpeno cheddar.

5# pork butt
1 Tbl kosher salt
1 tsp prague powder
8 oz chopped jalepeno
1 # sharp cheddar cubed
1 Tbl Garlic powder
Maybe some dried paresley for color

Stuff sausage and let dry until tacky. Then smoke at 200 until done?

Is 200 too high? Ill get a cold smoker attachment if it is.

Im lookin to smoke the whole batch and freeze what doesnt get eaten that day.

Any input would be appreciated. I just cant remember temps and the recipes i see out there seem too high of temp.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

The UltraQ showed up today. Hoooooly poo poo it is so much nicer than the cyber Q, which was also nice but this is next level.

Now I have to find meat to smoke this weekend.

Fall Dog posted:

Do you mind giving a thorough review of the UltraQ once you've got yourself familiar with it?

bump, curious about this too

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

bump, curious about this too

I’ve used it once. For Ribs. Nothing long or crazy.

It seems to work really really well, but uses the same back end ShareMyCook.com as the Cyber Q.

The app is nice, but I think it updated itself and the firmware twice during my cook, so it didn’t record and lost my settings each time.

The new magnetic mount is awesome. The new probes are great.

The ring and cycling display is really really nice and easy to use. Better than having some small LCD you have to go read, its nice and large for looking at a glance, and then you have the app for anything further than that anyways.

One thing they didn’t advertise were the different modes and presets. Preset 2 is for the Weber Summit Charcoal (and a few other things) and is better suited for lid open, recovery times, overshoot rates, etc, and apparently it learns as you go (algorithm adapts over time). I don’t have the other presets memorized but the user manual is all online and they are buried in there. I think its good that they ship with calibrations for common smokers.

There was something beautiful about the simplicity of the OG BBQ Guru Competitor, but the Ultra Q really feels like a worthy device. Three pit probes is really nice!

The whole unit feels a lot better suited to life outside as well, like it could get a little mist or rain and not just die.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Random Question: How evenly does a PBC cook whole turkies, spatchcocked or otherwise?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DaveSauce posted:

That said, there is a small local hardware store that shares a parking lot with the butcher I usually go to, maybe I'll swing by when I pick up my meat. Been in there a couple times, and as I recall the grill section there takes up a considerable amount of their limited floor space, so I'm sure they'll have something. If nothing else, I'll have the hickory chips to work with so no biggie.

Heh, in my town we have two butchers who share a lot with with hardware stores. Must be a thing.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey, so more questions about the Weber kettle.

I was trying to figure out running my temp probes, and I was initially planning to just run them through the top vent. The more I think about this, I already hate how annoying it's going to be. I'm also against just closing the lid on the cables, since I know I'll end up accidentally slamming the lid at some point. I don't want to run it up through the intake either, since I'll have to duck and weave the cables around grates/etc.

Googling around, it seems a common solution is to just drill a hole through the side of the bowl somewhere (right between the grates and the lip). Seems like the best solution, considering it'll result in a direct path to the food.

My main question: is this going to screw up temp control by increasing airflow? I see all this stuff about making sure the lid seals (to the extent of using binder clips to hold it tight), so it seems like blasting a relatively huge hole in the side negates all of that. I've also seen people cut a notch in the lip, but this bothers me a bit more since the roll in the lip helps stiffen it. Not that it'll fall apart, but it seems like it'd be more prone to warping.

I have no hesitation in doing this other than concerns about airflow. It'll take me 10 minutes to do once I figure out what size to make it. I see people using pipe nipples as a way to protect the probe cables from abrasion, but I figure I can just punch a big enough hole for the short term then make it pretty later if it bothers me.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two things. If you want to drill a hole, you're going to compromise the paint, leading to rust issues down the road. Absolutely make sure to follow up with ceramic paint..

The second thing is to just buy some grommets to stop airflow but allow the probes through.

I've never done this and just put the lid on top of my wires. Thermocouples are wear items and need to occasionally be replaced anyways.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just close the lid on my cables. I used to run them through the top vent, but, as you noted, it is insanely annoying and I stopped doing that real quickly.

The cables aren't gonna get hurt unless you really make an effort to smash them with the lid, for real.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah just close the lid on them. They'll be fine.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Welp. I guess this seems like a much bigger deal than it is.

Cool to know about those grommets, though, thanks! I'll probably order them and install them whenever. Still don't trust myself not to crush the probe cables, but a few times won't hurt I'm sure. I use temperature probes often in my job, I know how tiny the wires are and how easy they are to break...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The ones for something like the Thermoworks smoke aren't really tiny fragile cables, they're nice braided sleeved wires with a decent gauge. They'll easily survive setting the lid down on em.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Made Ribs on my WSM for the first time.

Used 321, they were good as hell.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’ve used it once. For Ribs. Nothing long or crazy.

It seems to work really really well, but uses the same back end ShareMyCook.com as the Cyber Q.

The app is nice, but I think it updated itself and the firmware twice during my cook, so it didn’t record and lost my settings each time.

The new magnetic mount is awesome. The new probes are great.

The ring and cycling display is really really nice and easy to use. Better than having some small LCD you have to go read, its nice and large for looking at a glance, and then you have the app for anything further than that anyways.

One thing they didn’t advertise were the different modes and presets. Preset 2 is for the Weber Summit Charcoal (and a few other things) and is better suited for lid open, recovery times, overshoot rates, etc, and apparently it learns as you go (algorithm adapts over time). I don’t have the other presets memorized but the user manual is all online and they are buried in there. I think its good that they ship with calibrations for common smokers.

There was something beautiful about the simplicity of the OG BBQ Guru Competitor, but the Ultra Q really feels like a worthy device. Three pit probes is really nice!

The whole unit feels a lot better suited to life outside as well, like it could get a little mist or rain and not just die.

thanks for the review, i'm kinda considering moving from my circa 200-something BBQGuru Competitor but it seems to work well enough for now

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

thanks for the review, i'm kinda considering moving from my circa 200-something BBQGuru Competitor but it seems to work well enough for now

The Ultra Q is worthy. The first thing since the OG BBQ Guru Competitor imo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

I say just wait out prices for a full packer. I enjoy a mix of some fatty/moist meat to some drier/leaner meat.

Gwaihir posted:

Just the flat is fine imo, just be sure not to trim too much fat and you'll be good.

Decided I'd go ahead and pick up one of the flats at Costco, and they actually had prime packer @ 3.49/lb. Snagged a 10lber and will give it a shot on Saturday. Can't wait!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How many are you feeding? That's a ton of pork.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

um excuse me posted:

I dunno about a ton, that looks like around 30-40 pounds tops.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I did six 8-lb butts in my WSM 22. I left the water pan empty because with that much meat you don't really need another heatsink.

I kept three for myself and sold the other three at cost + 10 bucks to cover the charcoal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

2 for me, two for a friend

his wife signed up for one of those meat delivery services and they always have too much on hand

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
report: just salted my butt and it is now dry brining in the fridge.

Took the fat cap off. Good god it was at least 1/2" thick, more in some spots. I've oven roasted butts before and never had a fat cap that thick... was a ~5lb butt, probably took at least 1/2 to 3/4 lb off. The good news is though that my butcher carries a boatload of smoking chips, so I got some Apple like I originally wanted.

Still contemplating rubs. Now that I've salted it, it kinda limits my options. Got Barbecue of the Americas per a recommendation here, but that has salt in it. Thoughts? I was planning on doing the Joy of Cooking Southern BBQ rub (sans salt). I've had good luck with it in the past for oven roasting. I haven't looked at Meathead's "memphis dust" at all yet, I've seen mixed reviews. Spice cabinet is pretty well stocked, so there isn't much I can't do.

As an aside, I measured out 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb (per Meathead's recommendation), but I ended up using only about half of it. I don't normally measure the salt out when I dry brine, so by the time I got it to the point where I normally eyeball it I had a bunch left. I understand it's way thicker than steaks/etc., but I decided to cut it short rather than risk over-salting it. Point being using a rub with salt in it might not be the end of the world.

Also gently caress y'all, I drilled a hole in my kettle for probes. Thought I was going to get those grommets yesterday, but shipping was delayed. Could see them today, but now that I'm T-minus 23 hours I'm not going to screw with it. Hole is 1/2" currently (also ordered a step bit which was ALSO delayed), so that'll be good enough for now with some foil to block air flow. Didn't paint it yet, but who cares If it rusts because I'm just going to drill it out more later.

edit:

also, inclement weather plan? There's a very low chance of rain tomorrow, but around here this time of year that means pop-ups randomly in the afternoon/evening. I can get my electronics in a bag or something, but I'm more worried about the grill. Do I need to try to prop up an umbrealla, or just keep the vent away from the meat to avoid drips? I'm partially worried about my meat taking a bath, but also not sure if the rain is going to suck all the heat out of the grill or not.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 17, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

DaveSauce posted:

report: just salted my butt and it is now dry brining in the fridge.

Took the fat cap off. Good god it was at least 1/2" thick, more in some spots. I've oven roasted butts before and never had a fat cap that thick... was a ~5lb butt, probably took at least 1/2 to 3/4 lb off. The good news is though that my butcher carries a boatload of smoking chips, so I got some Apple like I originally wanted.

Still contemplating rubs. Now that I've salted it, it kinda limits my options. Got Barbecue of the Americas per a recommendation here, but that has salt in it. Thoughts? I was planning on doing the Joy of Cooking Southern BBQ rub (sans salt). I've had good luck with it in the past for oven roasting. I haven't looked at Meathead's "memphis dust" at all yet, I've seen mixed reviews. Spice cabinet is pretty well stocked, so there isn't much I can't do.

As an aside, I measured out 1/2 tsp kosher salt per lb (per Meathead's recommendation), but I ended up using only about half of it. I don't normally measure the salt out when I dry brine, so by the time I got it to the point where I normally eyeball it I had a bunch left. I understand it's way thicker than steaks/etc., but I decided to cut it short rather than risk over-salting it. Point being using a rub with salt in it might not be the end of the world.

Also gently caress y'all, I drilled a hole in my kettle for probes. Thought I was going to get those grommets yesterday, but shipping was delayed. Could see them today, but now that I'm T-minus 23 hours I'm not going to screw with it. Hole is 1/2" currently (also ordered a step bit which was ALSO delayed), so that'll be good enough for now with some foil to block air flow. Didn't paint it yet, but who cares If it rusts because I'm just going to drill it out more later.

edit:

also, inclement weather plan? There's a very low chance of rain tomorrow, but around here this time of year that means pop-ups randomly in the afternoon/evening. I can get my electronics in a bag or something, but I'm more worried about the grill. Do I need to try to prop up an umbrealla, or just keep the vent away from the meat to avoid drips? I'm partially worried about my meat taking a bath, but also not sure if the rain is going to suck all the heat out of the grill or not.

I’ve seen people smoke under those blue tarp/tent things. Never had any rain during any of my smokes, but I imagine it could lower the temp of the smoker or mess with your wood/charcoal if it gets inside.

On that note... just tossed my pork shoulder in the fridge as well for a dry brine. 8.5 pounds before trim. This is probably going to be a long smoke. Looks like we’re pork buddies tomorrow :hfive:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
does dry brining do anything for pulled pork? I always just add some rub w/salt after pulling it anyways.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I dunno, why not just salt your steak after you cook it?

Brining pulls the salt a tad further in to the meat, and it denatures some of the proteins which (apparently) helps the meat retain moisture.

For seared meats, this combined with time in the fridge helps dry the surface, but if you're reverse searing (or not searing) this doesn't do much.

I try to dry brine all the meat I cook, regardless of how. I feel like it's one of those low-effort things that adds a lot of value. Probably won't be a day/night difference, but it helps and doesn't take much to do so why not?

edit:

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’ve seen people smoke under those blue tarp/tent things. Never had any rain during any of my smokes, but I imagine it could lower the temp of the smoker or mess with your wood/charcoal if it gets inside.

I keep thinking one of those would be useful to have around, but I haven't got around to buying one yet.

Worst case I have a cheap patio umbrella I could rig up somehow... honestly I'm more worried about the sun jacking up the temp. Deck is south facing with no shade... the dome thermometer read 160F the other day after I took the cover off. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 17, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Canuckistan posted:

does dry brining do anything for pulled pork? I always just add some rub w/salt after pulling it anyways.

I remember looking into it a while ago and deciding that ultimately it can’t hurt.

I know dry brining the turkey before Thanksgiving seemed to bring some good flavor and color. My reverse seared steaks come out really nice after a dry brine too. A good chunk of bbq guys seem to think it works well on a pork shoulder, so that’s good enough for me. It’s an insanely low-effort task that at the very least makes the meat look nicer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm so lazy and I just unwrap, prep and rub right at the grill and start smoking immediately

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Dry brine everything all the time.

Except sous vide I think.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

report: just salted my butt and it is now dry .

Mods? I know the last change wasn't that long ago, but this really, really needs to be up there.

E: botulism Mary hasn't been back after the smackdown, right?

MrUnderbridge fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 17, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

dy. posted:

Dry brine everything all the time.

Except sous vide I think.

This ice cream fuckin sucks now, thanks dumbass

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bluedeanie posted:

Obviously you're supposed to sous vide ice cream :rolleyes:

edit:

poo poo this was supposed to be a joke, but thinking about it a custard-based ice cream might actually benefit from sous vide...

edit again:

double poo poo, google has confirmed that this is actually a thing. So not only is that not a joke, but I can't even take credit for having a good idea :mad:

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 17, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bluedeanie posted:

Nah man you're just ahead of the curve.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

My first brisket and overnight cook was uneventful and turned out much better than I expected!

Last night I shredded the remaining flat I had left to put in some potatoes with peppers and onions. Potatoes in foil was my favorite meal my grandma used to make when we went camping with them.

Slice the potatoes thin or use a mandolin if you don’t value your finger tips. Throw some peppers, onions, garlic, fresh parsley, whatever you want really. I used Hungarian hot peppers and green peppers, both were good. Salt/pepper. Wrap that up with some shredded brisket and some butter in foil packets. Double wrap and spray the foil with a little Pam first so it doesn’t stick. Throw it over some coals on a fire until everything is nice and soft.

E: I’m sure throwing a chunk of fat trimming in would be even better but I made the rookie mistake of throwing all the fat I trimmed off away.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Pecan owns it’s my favorite wood.
I am with you. If I had to pick an all in one flavor, it would absolutely be pecan.