Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did my first smoke of the season.. a nice pork shoulder.. hosed up and messed with the temp and brought it down because I thought it was going too fast.. took ~15hrs to complete because I lowered the temp.

The thermostat on my smoker is usually wrong, I love my igrill, and always hang 1 probe near the rack to make sure I've adjusted for actual temp not the thermostat at the top of the smoker (why are probes 1/4 of the cost of a new thermometer BTW?) I'd really like to get my charcoal smoker going again but electric is just so convenient, I had lots of running around to do, just need to pop in occasionally to add chips.

Anyways here's my tasty, Did mesquite for 2 hours, then about 5-6 hours of apple and pecan mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Char broil is garbage, it's made to be cheap as possible, and it's quality reflects that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Based on the reviews it looked like the exact same thing just rebranded for across the pond, I assume it's the same factory using paper thin metal, screws made from slag and painted paint stirers for "wood".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have the 30 inch electric masterbuilt and it's super easy to set and forget the only work you need to do to it is clean it, and I usually toss chips in every hour or two so for the first little while of the smoke, don't know if you can get a Hopper for it that will auto feed.

I do still recommend a good thermometer, the thermostat does tend to be inaccurate, so once you figure out if yours runs hot or cold and how much you'll be able to set it and be done with it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Worked from home, tossed 2 roaster chickens with thyme, and sage in their chicken hole in the smoker.. kids enjoyed the one.. going to take the second one for dinner tomorrow.. hope it's tasty.

That is all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trastion posted:

Like Larrymer said there is no clear answer. You have to weigh all kinds of things. I like the MES because it is set and forget and relatively cheap but it has flaws (doesn't get super hot, etc) so you have to do a lot of good vs bad deciding.

Or you can get something now and start smoking, then use that to figure out what you really want and buy something different later. I have a 40" MES which I love but will eventually get something to compliment it when I want more hands on smoking with higher temps. I won't get rid of the MES when I do though. Last night I threw some salmon in it while I worked out for a couple hours and when I was done so was it.

I love my mes for easy smoking, worked from home yesterday, went to the store on lunch and got 2 fresh chickens and poultry herbs, and then tossed them in the smoker and had dinner for 2 days all set up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tomorrow is smoking day for a pork butt.
I'm off and gf has to be at work at 7 so that means smoker time.

I usually set my smoker at around 225 and it seems to take for friggin ever to do it. Like 2hrs a pound where everything I read says 1.25-1.5hr a pound.

I have no issue taking 12 hours to smoke the fucker but wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Masterbuilt black box electric smoker, temp is usually off by about 10° so I make sure I set at 235.

Any tips

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My pulled pork didn't come out super amazing as it has in the past, I didn't use enough rub I don't think.

:(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shoulder cut, fat on top took it to 193, just didn't induce the mouth orgasm that my past 2 shoulders have caused.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Agreed...sometimes you do end up with a tough pig from the start.

It's been so long since I did pulled pork so.i dug around online and most places said 190-200, it was getting late so I just pulled it out when I checked the temp and it read over 190.

It was tender the bone pulled right out and cleanly.. just didn't taste amazing maybe I should have used the hickory longer before switching to cherry, maybe it wasn't a good cut.. was still yummy, just not orgasm inducing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Brisket is the worst for timing, it generally takes for friggin ever and a day.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

what's the recommendation for pulled porks?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd argue there is.. mesquite def has a much smokier flavor than cherry or Apple.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Putting on a shoulder today, excited because I haven't cracked open the smoker in like 6 months. What a crime.

I just finished my shoulder last night :) 225 for a LOT of hours (11.5LBS)
will be rewarming it with some BBQ sauce for daytona 500 party tomorrow.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

veiled boner fuel posted:

For me pork butt is super simple and brisket is pretty simple but ribs aren't always that easy.

My brisket always takes forever.. Probably because I don't foil.. I need to try again and foil.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

pork butt is a long smoke but they're kind of hard to gently caress up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stringent posted:

*autistic screeching intensifies*

RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edit:

Internet Explorer posted:

But we gotta make sure we cook this mystery meat first. Can't buy the proper cut before we use this one!

the best is pork but is stupid cheap.. where I live I bought an 10-11lb butt for pulled pork and poo poo was like 10bucks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

They're cheap and consistent, I prefer them for things like burgers in my small grill.

This, at my GF's apartment we've got a small grill to do burgers an chicken n poo poo in teh summer. I use briquettes because they are cheap (usually buy the 40lbs for cheap at lowes) and easy to use to do a quick grill in the evening after work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thermometer chat
I've got the Webber igrill and if it's raining I stick it in a Ziploc bag and put it on the magnetic base which holds the bag to it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Oh good, you're still alive. I assumed you started to use your pink salt as a normal table/kosher salt substitute and killed yourself and your whole family.

Good luck with the bacon.

why is this bad? asking for a friend/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay pink curing salt and Himalayan are different I assumed my ex was trying to kill my kids post haste kuz she uses that poo poo on the regular (Himalayan)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Have you ever considered not being a giant snarky rear end in a top hat bitch?

No because they asked a valid question. In nearly anything you'll read you'll find that they say like 1-3 chunks.. not half a bag.

Same with charcoal and vents, did you read anything on how much to use in your egg on a smoking forum or egg forum or did you just go "hmm half a bag sounds good" while I try and set my gasket or smoke something

Maybe an electronic smoker is more your speed. It's cheaper and easier to control and has a lower learning curve, then you can work out how to smoke stuff and what temps and cures and rubs and stuff works well then you can graduate to the green egg.

This isn't a pile on post..

Go read for hours online of people who successfully smoked and ask questions go buy a book there are probably 20 "how to use the big green egg" e-books.

You've got a very limited skill level on the basics of how to smoke with your nice smoker.. so grow those skills with knowledge

Edit: double post so shoot me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've never done a while chicken successfully but I only tried once super Early on. Legs and thighs are super loving quick and easy..

Know what else is hard to gently caress up and cheap as all getout.... Pork shoulder.. but it's a decently long smoke. (90min/lb)

Also snark in my dead gay cuck of a forum... I'd never.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ this..

I buy like 3 big packs of "not chicken breasts" and smoke them when I'm having a party and don't want to smoke stuff forever. I have yet to gently caress up chicken bits.

Note: if for some reason your store sells skinless chicken bits don't buy those they'll be terrible, I feel like this caveat needs to be stated.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Smoked a spiral ham was tasty but some parts were dry.. I didn't do the glaze because that poo poo is full of diabetes. 7.5/10 would so again, maybe next time I'll do a glaze / pour apple juice on/ foil wrap to make it not dry.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The glaze I had had hfcs in it. I'm sure I could have found one that didn't but wasn't planning on using it because they are all sugar heavy.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Brisket is like a woman.. usually never ready on time and the wait is painful.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Befoere I used a lovely old cell phone pointed at my thermometer and a webcam app on that phone that was account based so I could see the temp from anywhere

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

RE: Pulled chicken

I'll throw this out there as a tip. If you have a stand mixer, shredding chicken is stupid easy. Throw the meat in there (meat only, no bones obv) with the paddle attachment and let it spin a minute or two at a low speed. Everything shreds up pretty nicely and is easier than loving about with a pair of forks or your hands.

I've also used a hand mixer :)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I thought butts were 195ish and a short rest for pulled pork.. but if it was tasty it was tasty

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My area is no bigger than 1lb on balcony or use electric grill/smoker. You can store 20lb tanks on the Lower or by building but must be 10ft away when grilling over open flame. No charcoal because people are retards and don't know when they are actually fully 'off'.

When I was at a less strict place (that doesn't nab coal grills from you or call you and say move it or get fined) I'd grill 10 feet out. Finish and keep in place, close all dampers, keep closed for 3 hours.. pull off top and blow onto the coals and feel for heat then move on to attached patio after also dousing with a watering can just in case. Probably overkill but I didn't want to be the guy that burned down a complex with my charcoal grill.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CoolHandMat posted:

i got an electric Dyna-Glo 30 in. Analog Electric Smoker this christmas, and have sinced used it a half dozen times - pork shoulders and ribs. Everything eventually turned out awesome, but for some reason (probably due to outside temp under 30 F) i wasnt able to get the electric smoker much higher than 200 degrees, so everything took a few extra hours or i finished it off in the oven.

Is this common with electric smokers - heating issues? or should I credit the outside temp?

And lastly, should i be scrubbing out the liquid and woodchip tins? they are getting pretty gummed up.

Not sure on the dynaglow, but if you get the 40" Masterbulit electric smoker (MES)you get a better electric "burner" with it.
I've not had an issue but haven't used my MES in super cold, you can try and wrap it up a little in an old blanket or something (Just keep a hole open for the vent.) I did this with my crappy old brinkman charcoal smoker when it was middle of winter. (Although there was also enough snow that I actually built a bunker around it. Get a goodwill blanket and insulate.

Yeah I usually try and scrub my liquid one every time.. the wood chip I just dump and rinse quickly.. but the liquid one can have lots of gross fat and crap in it so I try and get her clean.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 5, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was just shocked that a traeger would be OK, but not a Weber.

But I get your point.

i'd be surprised if it was allowed, depending on location. Most apartment fire code /or complex rules are no charcoal, Wood pellet is just a technicality and they may get pissy since you've still got wood on fire.

edit: Why the gently caress can't you grill in your backyard.. loving HOA's are terrible. What harm are you doing cooking with a gas grill/ charcoal / smoker.. making people hungry.
I understand apartment rules for charcoal / big propane tanks.. having them on a balcony if they leak / catch fire would be devastating to the building. Likewise having a moron who finishes grilling and moves their grill to the patio again and catches the plastic siding on fire because it's still hot. With propane when you turn it off it's not going to smolder for hours.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

drat I feel bad for some of y'all. I live in a real dense neighborhood and my landlord couldn't care less that I have a Weber SM on my patio. Hell, our upstairs neighbors have a 22 inch Weber on their balcony facing the street and no one's complained. We're probably only a few years out from Los Angeles banning charcoal tho.

are you in a house or a complex.. generally complexes have different fire rules depending on number of units etc.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

in my MES I use my water pan most of the time.. It also is a nice way to catch the drippins and clean instead of the bottom tray which is harder to clean off in my sink.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How does the amazin pellet thing work.. do you light the pellets on your own? Does it just use regular pellets? I've got an mes and don't usually cold smoke or do anything low but if it holds enough for a long smoke I'd love to have my smoker be even more set it and forget it.

Also meh.com has the 2 probe older Webber igrill for $25+5shipping right now. I wish I knew what happened to my old one I got for free (got lost in a recent move) so I grabbed one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pretty much. You looking at the tube or the maze? A tube will last 4 hours. The maze has more flexibility on what you are dumping in and how much but then have to worry about the fire taking the turn.

Probably the maze. Although really is there any point to having smoke for more than 4 hours into most meats?

Can you toss regular pellets in or do you need amazn™©® brand pellets?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

These are what I have available in western NY. They're about 10" or 12" square before the smoke. Finding a decent brisket is even harder. Our costco doesn't carry packers either.

Sup wny buddy.. where's you get those ribs?
Pretty sure tops has packers in the back but they are like 6.99 a pound though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

Rubinos in Irondequoit, north of Rochester is a good source for prime beef ribs, which is where I got those. Walmart is usually the most reliable source for packers at 3ish a pound around Rochester. I've never seen packers at Tops though, do you happen to know the quality?

No I don't usually need a full 10ish lb brisket because it's 2 of us usually. So I rarely need that much brisket it's 2 of us. I usually grab from Wegmans since they have smaller cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Murgos posted:

I have the first gen of this: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7204-i...d4BL&ref=plSrch

It’s fine. Maybe a second or two slower than my thermapen but plenty accurate.

Just got an older one of these the other day for like 30bux from meh... My old one is missing after a move.