Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

I don't know what the hell:

That looks like Jae Lee, a comic book artist who did stuff for the Dark Tower comic adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chris Knight posted:

Is that Transor Z?

No, that's the Rozen Zulu from Gundam Unicorn. Tranzor Z is the American name of Mazinger Z.

To be on topic, here's a poster for the most recent Mazinger Z anime, Shin Mazinger Z Impact!

and the inspiration for Batman v Superman, Mazinger Z vs. Devilman

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 26, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo they're doing a new Mazinger Z movie next year!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this! posted:

That looks like Jae Lee, a comic book artist who did stuff for the Dark Tower comic adaptations.

Jae Lee is also getting paid doing promo material for Inhumans (which looks like poo poo but good for him).

hamsystem posted:

God drat those new Jaeger designs are boring.

If you squint it looks like they're doing a One Must Fall 2097 movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I used to like Jae Lee, but once I noticed his style is to dump a gallon of black sharpie on the page I got really tired of him. It's more noticable in comic interiors than covers.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't get excited for a Pacific Rim without Del Toro. :smith:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you squint it looks like they're doing a One Must Fall 2097 movie.
If you squint they all look like mish-mashes of Gipsy and Striker that have had their height and weight sliders adjusted ever so slightly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well that makes sense, base your new models on the most successful old ones.

This is why you guys aren't in charge of the jaeger budget.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Aphrodite posted:

Well that makes sense, base your new models on the most successful old ones.

This is why you guys aren't in charge of the jaeger budget.

Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon would have been okay if Charlie didn't Charlie it up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GrandpaPants posted:

Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon would have been okay if Charlie didn't Charlie it up.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious that Otachi and Leatherback had been custom-designed to gently caress up Cherno, Typhoon, and Striker because of Charlie's drift and Charlie knew that those three were active-duty while Gypsy was retired after Mako's incident.

Still, Cherno and Typhoon were the only really interesting-looking mechs in the movie. Didn't even get to see the colossal flamethrowers Cherno was supposedly armed with or its electrified fists.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Nah, there were plenty of other cool mechs (that had a collective screen time of ten or so seconds in a flashback).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, that's the Rozen Zulu from Gundam Unicorn. Tranzor Z is the American name of Mazinger Z.

It was a Tranz -> Trans gag, but I am hype on that new Mazinger Z poster.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

Holy poo poo they're doing a new Mazinger Z movie next year!

:shittypop:

Between this and the Netflix Devilman series that's supposed to be coming out, it's been a good loving year for Go Nagai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOWPSc9Vv8

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I used to like Jae Lee, but once I noticed his style is to dump a gallon of black sharpie on the page I got really tired of him. It's more noticable in comic interiors than covers.

I got given one of those Dark Tower comics and it's just annoying to what lengths they go not to draw any eyes. A character can be standing upright in daylight and still their face is a bunch of pinched, squinting shadows.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has he ever drawn backgrounds? Ever?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has he ever drawn backgrounds? Ever?
Not really, it's part of his aesthetic.

His art is really good but not really suited for widespread use.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pacific Rim made me weary of other movies and TV shows that needlessly sacrifice interesting characters at an altar for a much blander hero.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kind of a generic poster that doesn't really tell me much.

However, having seen the trailer I'm legit looking forward to seeing it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That poster for the Vault looks bizarre if you've seen the trailer. Trailer looks like a horror movie, poster looks like a Robert Rodriguez action flick.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

A goon's brother directed this, right?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yep.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lmfao at what's got to be at this point the 5th or 6th reboot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I think they've told Dracula's origin story less.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm strangely drawn to this poster actually.
Shame about the quotes, but that's understandable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lmfao at what's got to be at this point the 5th or 6th reboot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I think they've told Dracula's origin story less.

This one's directed by the Inside guys, iirc, and the trailer actually looked kinda dope. They might have it this time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'll likely see it but I have no clue what it is about Texas Chainsaw Massacre that screams prequel. At this point most of the TCM sequels are reboots or prequels, it's bizarre.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'll likely see it but I have no clue what it is about Texas Chainsaw Massacre that screams prequel. At this point most of the TCM sequels are reboots or prequels, it's bizarre.

Don't forget that the movie series have multiple continuities.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I feel like most of it is that, all the things you can do with an established, already-murdery Leatherface have been done. '74 basically closed the book on serious takes on that concept, and then 2 closed the book on goofy comedic ones. The only remaining interesting question is "how the gently caress does someone go from a presumably-normal baby to Leatherface?"

e: The franchise is also kinda let down by the rest of the Sawyer family being uninteresting at best. Chop Top is the only one who even has character traits besides "redneck" and "cannibal," Bill Moseley's too old to play him nowadays, and if you tried recasting Chop Top horror fans might actually form a lynch mob against you.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Do they really need to explain why Leatherface is a nut? His family is batshit and he doesn't really have the mental capacity to resist the way he was brought up. What more is there? Are they going to make him an orphan or something that the family got a hold of and made evil? It's dumb. And the poster is awful.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Let's reboot hellraiser. I need a 2 hour retrospective on pinhead's childhood to find out why he murders people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

An Elm Street prequel about Freddy's child molestation days.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'm giving Leatherface a shot because the guys who made Inside directed it. But yeah, it seems rather pointless.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This one's directed by the Inside guys, iirc, and the trailer actually looked kinda dope. They might have it this time.

It's been on the shelf for a while (it was filmed two years ago) and is premiering first on DirecTV rather than getting a significant theatrical release, so I wouldn't be too optimistic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective Thompson posted:

Do they really need to explain why Leatherface is a nut? His family is batshit and he doesn't really have the mental capacity to resist the way he was brought up. What more is there? Are they going to make him an orphan or something that the family got a hold of and made evil? It's dumb. And the poster is awful.

But what does "the way he was brought up" even look like? I feel like there's interesting material for a horror movie in that.

FoneBone posted:

It's been on the shelf for a while (it was filmed two years ago) and is premiering first on DirecTV rather than getting a significant theatrical release, so I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Counterpoint: it's by the Inside dudes, so this might be less because it's bad and more because it's utterly disgusting. :v: Inside went DTV here largely because the R-rated version had to be butchered until it was unrecognizable.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 29, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well if the director and writers of A Serbian Film can make a new movie for an American studio...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Well if the director and writers of A Serbian Film can make a new movie for an American studio...

Wait what in the gently caress, really?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait what in the gently caress, really?

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/news/874907-a-serbian-film-director-to-helm-whereout

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The MSJ posted:

No no no no no

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

What's wrong with her faaaace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I have a weird feeling that's not gonna hit theaters either. Seems like Magnet or IFC Midnight material.