Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Palpek posted:

I like the DVD covers for a recent Polish re-release of a few Charlie Chaplin classics:

I dislike every single on of these.

I dislike them because they don't suit the films at all, it's just minimalist art for the sake of it, and on top of that it's not even well done minimalist art.

In my opinion, just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This poster for The Woman in Black is one of my favorite posters in a long while. If the movie is any good, I might just have to buy one for my wall.

I don't see what's good about this poster. It looks like a bad Photoshop job, granted, it's not the usual bad Photoshop job, but it's still bad. Filter upon filter with no sense of layout.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I don't understand why it matters how long ago the first/last Spider-Man film came out.

If it's a good film then you've got another good Spider-man film, and if it's not then you just shrug your shoulders and move on. The original films still exist.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I likes this when it was called Misfits

Stop the presses everyone, Bobkatt just discovered genres.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

veonenergee posted:

New Mondo poster for Drive is pretty much yum:

The hot pink colour works well in the film because the garish font and colour contrast the rich blues and yellows of the opening scenes. It tips the hand of the films off centre style and calls back to its European sensibilities.

It does not work when its splashed all over the place like a defining element or when its placed against such a mundane look second colour as golden/beige.

Also the font used on this poster looks like it belongs to some other movie, maybe the movie the trailer advertised, but certainly not the one everyone fell in love with.

Also, the freeway never features in the film so its inclusion in the trailer is baffling. Why isn't he on a film set? Why aren't the elements of the poster separated by something that actually features in the film? Maybe the scorpion, the Los Angeles skyline, something.

And... finally, I just don't think that style fits the film at all. The two tone look, the abundance of lines used to make Gosling look almost vectorised from a still.

It's a gorgeous looking poster, but its not a good poster for the film Drive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rare Collectable posted:

Perhaps because its depicting women as holes/legs for men to emotionlessly use? The way the man is staring into the camera doesn't make it look like he's very engaged with the woman he's "loving".

That's the entire point though. It's not condone the imagery just because it uses it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Shame's had some pretty fun adverts: apart from this and the ladies back, I saw one which was just a sheet of reflective foil, with all the details, including the title, in white ink.

I've not seen this one, and I don't know what its meant to be given your description. Can you link it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

I love this one:

This looks like a cover for a young adult vampire book. The title is nearly unreadable and it's layout is incredibly confused and boring. The white space everywhere is horrific.

The other two you posted are much better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

The trailer for this looks amazing, there's a huge 60's and 70's vibe:

It's meant to be awful. I've heard nothing but bad words about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I have that movie... because I sort of just turn off any rational thought when it comes to Milla Jovovich and buy anything she's in.

You must've bought so many unrelated films that we're giving it away for free then.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

How is it not evident that those are fake?

Studio's simply don't have multiple logos/looks etc for their films.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Noxville posted:

That poster does not suit that film ... in the slightest.

Fixed to summarize Mondo in its entirety.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

penismightier posted:

Me too, and I also assumed that the guys in the back are standing sideways. Y'all are just sniping on this one.

They did stretch the image halfway down though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

You mean the movie that has trailers that have the Inception Horn :wom: (or Reaper Farts for those exposed to ME3). Also, I'm fairly certain the exploding ships occurs in the trailer, so it's not that much of a spoiler.

I think you mean the sound effect used in the Alien and Aliens trailers when they were first released.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't like any of them :(

Except the Ghostbusters one, which is absolutely gorgeous but I'd never have guessed what movie it was supposed to be without the title.

Agreed. The Jurassic Park one is awful, and the clock on the Back to the Future one would annoy me to no end.

Also, all of these films had pretty good official posters, so there's no need to buy these.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Mondo doing ET.

Looks amazing!

I'd like it more if the spaceship looked as well done as the woods surrounding it.

Right now it looks like some quick shape tool layers and only has a basic resemblance to the ship in the film.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 8, 2012

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Based on everything else I've seen of this film that's probably a shot of Dredd stood in front of the Mega-City One skyline.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

A whole bunch of posters for Total Recall came out yesterday.

Well, at least they put effort into this one. The rest of them look like stock photos.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cacator posted:

Out of all the possible pseudo-philosophical lines from the movie that could be on there, he picks one that isn't even about the Matrix itself?

I'm guessing he wanted a line that fit the aesthetic he designs towards, not one that would summarise the film itself.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"Listen to me carefully, Kim. Your mother is going to be taken."

:laffo::laffo:

I burst out laughing at the line, it's delivered so wonderfully sincere.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Slasherfan posted:

Here is the UK poster for Chernobyl Diaries.

I think I prefer the US poster but the UK one isn't to bad.

I notice this when I go the cinema. I don't think it's a coincidence that it looks almost exactly like the 28 Days Later poster.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Can someone with better photoshop skills replace the light gray with the dark gray? I have this theory that if they were all one color it would look way better. And not, I don't know, accentuate the cod pieces.

Don't you design posters for a living dude? Who would have better Photoshop skills than you?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Not Another Teen Movie was surprisingly decent as a spoof of a comedy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DKWildz posted:

More (maybe the last set?) Universal Monsters mondo prints for this thursday. All by Jay Shaw

The Mummy

Creature From the Black Lagoon

The Wolf Man

Wow, they certainly saved the best worst till last.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Is there really a need to be so hyperbolic? Clearly an awful lot of people like his art style and think the posters he creates are very good but apparently they're absolute garbage and I should throw mine in the trash.

You're taking this very personally. Some people just don't like his style, I think it looks awful personally, overly-busy and clearly traced, but hey, if you like it and own one then good on you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

Tyler Stout is the Mark Rothko of posters.

Look at this loving mess. That's just god awful in every way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Same thing with the trees in Vader's mask.

I feel like, while this one is visually cool, it feels a little strained.

It's the only one where two iconic shapes aren't coming together - it's just one shape made from something else.

It's also the one one where the foreground is used as part of the larger image.

I feel like, maybe it would've been better if the ATST layer had been brought forward and the tree layer pushed back one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

To be fair ROTJ has the least iconic imagery of the three films. And Vader's mask is hard to make recognizable in an outline while also making the composition good. I think he did the best that could be done with those constraints and the colors are pretty at least. :shobon:

Yeah, I couldn't of done any better.

Hey, kiimo, I've always meant to ask how someone would get into your line of work - I've done design work in the past, for the local council, some national companies, and it's been well regarded, but never really thought about moving into poster and film logo design...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Saturniid19 posted:

You might be thinking of these:

Well at least no one is missing out by not being able to buy those.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

New Olly Moss posters being released by Mondo tomorrow:

I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and own a number of Olly Moss' posters, but this one is really putting me to sleep.

The entire middle of that poster is taken up with something I don't recognize at all. What's that 'W' shape meant to be?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Ken Taylor Jurassic Park posters.

I don't understand why he's drawn the T-Rex to look nothing like the one in the film and a burn victim.

I mean, it's a nice drawing of a Dinosaur, but it's not Jurassic Park.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Those are all from Mondo, all in 2012.

You know what annoys me about this poster?

The size of the iconic gates and the T-Rex is loving tiny. Despite being in the foreground Alan looks big enough to stand equal to them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

rodbeard posted:

My mind went to the masturbation scene before the whole cutting off his arm thing.

I was just wondering why they were referencing Manos. Oops.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

casa de mi padre posted:

"Hey look, it's the girl I know from those Disney shows my daughter watches! She has a nice set of tits! I'm definitely going to see this!" - Things nobody is saying.

Sadly I'm fairly sure a lot of people are saying this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hewlett posted:

It's the fact that it's the SAME layout (even down to the font) for the Thor character posters that gets me.

I know I'm being a massive sperg but they aren't the same font, just very similar.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Ok, I really need to get around to seeing Rubber, because between that and the Sherrif monologue I saw on YouTube, it looks fantastic.

It isn't. The Sherrif monologue was really the stand out part for me. The film has some interesting ideas, but in the end its hurt by awful pacing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Aside from the lovely font selection that's perfect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

These ones? Not awful. The rest? Awful.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Is it 3 that has the amazing visual joke with the Sheriff's hat? I don't know why that always cracks me the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Not Another Teen Movie is another great parody film that gets lumped in with the others a lot. It's loving hilarious, imminently quotable, and there's a lot of great details that most people miss on the first viewing.

Yeah, I really like that film, and it's one of the last good parodies. I also like Sex Drive, though I can't tell you one good reason I do.