Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spiffster posted:

Yup. They want you to actively save yourself this time around. or you could, you know, grab the broken Shotgun before entering in the first place :shrug:
Pffft, solving the puzzle properly is for plebs when you can get Barry to fix the problem. I'm just shocked and appalled that they expected me to actually press buttons this time around.

Spiffster posted:

Decided to play Chris' campaign in Remake before going to Revelations trying to see if I can actually unlock that drat Launcher for once. Don't know if I will make it but this is still going to be the fastest I've ever played as Chris. Plus I've gotten really good at juking these zombies and made it through most of the 1st mansion encounter with dropping maybe 3 or 4 zombies overall? Nice to have ammo for when the hunters actually arrive.
I'm often the first to have flashbacks and suffer breakdowns when it comes to Hunters throughout the franchise, but even I think they're pushovers in REmake (and not least because even when things go wrong you can just stuff a grenade in their gob and *pop*). This is most likely due to REmake having actual working collision detection that isn't poo poo and almost no invincibility frames on monsters though, especially compared to that original 1996 outing where the scaly green shitlords would just leap and swing around without giving a single gently caress about when, where and how you shoot at them a lot of the time. As for the Infinite Launcher, as long as you manage to complete the game in under five hours you'll get the Infinite Handgun, which in turn makes completing it again in under three hours a laughably easy task. But maybe you're not in the mood to replay it again so soon :v:

Speaking of dropping zombies, does anyone here actually bother burning the corpses anymore? Some are practically mandatory burns (such as in the lab area unless you want to risk the fuel exploding in your hands) but in more than a few cases you can just splat a zombie in a frequently visited area and leave them to mutate, because as long as you don't go stamping your feet around too closely they'll just stay dormant and some even fail to mutate in time before you leave for the Guardhouse/Residence (and then they end up replaced by Hunters when you return anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Speaking of dropping zombies, does anyone here actually bother burning the corpses anymore? Some are practically mandatory burns (such as in the lab area unless you want to risk the fuel exploding in your hands) but in more than a few cases you can just splat a zombie in a frequently visited area and leave them to mutate, because as long as you don't go stamping your feet around too closely they'll just stay dormant and some even fail to mutate in time before you leave for the Guardhouse/Residence (and then they end up replaced by Hunters when you return anyway).

Edit Oh you mentioned those areas. Yeah It's best to let lying corpses lie in areas you don't cross often. Learn the map layout and see when you will be back If there is a chance, burn, if it's a one and done, don't worry about it.

Edit 2: Came in just over 4 hours on Chris's Playthrough. Got The Samurai edge but man I thought I was blazing. Cutting off another hour to get the launcher is going to suck :sigh:

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 28, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spiffster posted:

Came in just over 4 hours on Chris's Playthrough. Got The Samurai edge but man I thought I was blazing. Cutting off another hour to get the launcher is going to suck :sigh:
Nah, from this point on it's easy; trust me when I say the Samurai Edge really speeds things up. Basically frees up an inventory slot for a start, and you can even forgo the basic Shotgun entirely (but still get Richard's toy in the Aqua Ring because that one's still important enough).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nope. If you are fast enough, you will only see 2 of them. The one outside the room in the upstairs hallway and the mandatory mask fight. If I am not mistaken, the ones in the lab are scripted to transform after you walk the fuel over there. But I have never had to deal with them in the lab at that point in time and I never burn anything.

Spiffster posted:

Edit Oh you mentioned those areas. Yeah It's best to let lying corpses lie in areas you don't cross often. Learn the map layout and see when you will be back If there is a chance, burn, if it's a one and done, don't worry about it.

Edit 2: Came in just over 4 hours on Chris's Playthrough. Got The Samurai edge but man I thought I was blazing. Cutting off another hour to get the launcher is going to suck :sigh:

It's easier to do it with Jill. Doing it with Jill will unlock the Rocket Launcher for both Chris and Jill. Also, skip all the cutscenes and don't bother with trying to get any of the good endings. Although you should save Rebecca from the Hunter, because you are not a monster and that is a minor detour.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Nope. If you are fast enough, you will only see 2 of them. The one outside the room in the upstairs hallway and the mandatory mask fight. If I am not mistaken, the ones in the lab are scripted to transform after you walk the fuel over there. But I have never had to deal with them in the lab at that point in time and I never burn anything.

It's easier to do it with Jill. Doing it with Jill will unlock the Rocket Launcher for both Chris and Jill. Also, skip all the cutscenes and don't bother with trying to get any of the good endings. Although you should save Rebecca from the Hunter, because you are not a monster and that is a minor detour.

Excuse me, save the frames, kill the animals minor secondary characters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rebecca never came back so I assume she got got by the hunter anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rebecca Returns: Resident Evil 13.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

May have one more run in me with Jill to test that 2 only theory. As for the lab guys I had 5 or 6 grenades so I just stuffed it in their craws. Got the point across and saved ammo for the tyrant.

blackguy32 posted:

Gotta be an rear end in a top hat to Barry anyway to unlock an achievement so this gives me an excuse I guess

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 28, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Spiffster posted:

May have one more run in me with Jill to test that 2 only theory. As for the lab guys I had 5 or 6 grenades so I just stuffed it in their craws. Got the point across and saved ammo for the tyrant.

Gotta be an rear end in a top hat to Barry anyway to unlock an achievement so this gives me an excuse I guess

Yep. You get to skip the 2nd tyrant fight and just be an rear end in a top hat to everyone. That being said, the rocket launcher is so underwhelming. You would think that it would set zombies on fire or blow off their heads or something, but nope.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Len posted:

Man her and Billy really got shafted, its a real shame :( Will we see her on Wesker's desk in the RE2 remake?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hey Capcom where's my Resident Evil MOBA!?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man her and Billy really got shafted, its a real shame :( Will we see her on Wesker's desk in the RE2 remake?
I hope we don't see her in Chief Irons' Office. :smith:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Rebecca was one of the few people in the RE universe smart enough to say yeah i'm done good luck everyone

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Rebecca was one of the few people in the RE universe smart enough to say yeah i'm done good luck everyone

She didn't pass the BSAA's Boulder Punching course. :smith:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Considering all the poo poo she went through in one night, I don't blame her. She is definitely the marathon runner of the team.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

Considering all the poo poo she went through in one night, I don't blame her. She is definitely the marathon runner of the team.

Which was all the more weird that she was so helpless in REmake. Like drat, she should have been saving Chris's rear end, not the other way around.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Len posted:

Rrruuubbeeccaaahhhhhh!!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Which was all the more weird that she was so helpless in REmake. Like drat, she should have been saving Chris's rear end, not the other way around.

At that point I imagine she's just sleepy, she'd have been up for like 48 hours right?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Len posted:

Nope, she's alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Vendetta

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think she's the biggest RE character in the stage play too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Geight posted:

At that point I imagine she's just sleepy, she'd have been up for like 48 hours right?

Her timeline changed a lot as more games came out, but basically, her night looks like this: survive helicopter crash, fight zombies, watch teammate die, team up with convicted murderer, fight zombie dogs, survive train crash, escape giant death mansion, fight inexplicable Tyrant, fight giant leech monsters, hike a few miles through zombie dog forest to second giant death mansion, catch a fitful nap in death mansion dormitory, watch second teammate get bitten by giant snake, only manage to save teammate due to backup finally arriving, hear later that teammate's died anyway, get cornered by monsters, get shot by commanding officer, barely escape before second death mansion explodes.

This is in her first two days as a small-town not-cop, at the age of 18.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

Her timeline changed a lot as more games came out, but basically, her night looks like this: survive helicopter crash, fight zombies, watch teammate die, team up with convicted murderer, fight zombie dogs, survive train crash, escape giant death mansion, fight inexplicable Tyrant, fight giant leech monsters, hike a few miles through zombie dog forest to second giant death mansion, catch a fitful nap in death mansion dormitory, watch second teammate get bitten by giant snake, only manage to save teammate due to backup finally arriving, hear later that teammate's died anyway, get cornered by monsters, get shot by commanding officer, barely escape before second death mansion explodes.

This is in her first two days as a small-town not-cop, at the age of 18.

Heck she and Leon are super rookies. Both of them on their first days survived some of the worst poo poo imaginable, but she did double duty.

Bet she was mystified when she stumbled across UMBRELLA (TM) Brand Magic Crates. You mean I was throwing this poo poo in the floor when I could have put them in a box!? That our she chalked it up to delirium. I'd be seeing things two after just over two hours of Horror like that.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Geight posted:

I think she's the biggest RE character in the stage play too.

yep, she works for the BSAA as a contractor for investigations/labwork

supposedly she has some PTSD re: spencer mansion and poo poo but it doesn't really come up?

she still has issues murdering former students when she was undercover as a professor

edit:
here's the stage play. it is kind of hilarious. the implementation of background CG and stuff/transitions at times is really loving cool/clever. there's a few flashbacks that are done super well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aoZgrNlS8g

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 29, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fereydun posted:

yep, she works for the BSAA as a contractor for investigations/labwork

supposedly she has some PTSD re: spencer mansion and poo poo but it doesn't really come up?

she still has issues murdering former students when she was undercover as a professor

edit:
here's the stage play. it is kind of hilarious. the implementation of background CG and stuff/transitions at times is really loving cool/clever. there's a few flashbacks that are done super well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aoZgrNlS8g

:stare: I would never have found this had you not linked it here today. Thank you.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Zombie dance rave is the best thing to happen in Resident Evil canon in a decade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is in fact Teamworl that males B.S.A.A stronger.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Weirdly the description for that video says that it has "fixed (misspelling, missing lines) english subtitles and translation are provided by ResidentEvilLive.ru" so I'm not sure who to blame for that.

Also seconding the thanks for that link, I'd been super-curious about the stage play! Is there like a legit way to buy it outside of Japan? I'd happily pay a reasonable amount of money for higher picture quality and better subtitles.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

They look like action figures in that image. Is that supposed to be Chris & Piers?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Spiffster posted:

If you wanna go fast easily you'll wanna play Jill. Take advantage of the lockpick for the early mansion bits, grab the shotgun before you get the armor key and the grenade launcher before you fight the death mask room crimson head. Grenade launcher breaks the game over its knee. Use normal grenade shells for the crimson head. Grab the incendiary rounds from the eastern stairwell save room before going to the residence and use them to kill the plant really fast. Use the acid rounds Barry gives you after picking up the dog whistle for the library Yawn fight (dont bother fighting Yawn 1 the assault shotgun isnt that big of a deal). Let Barry die because his magnum one shots everything in the game including the Tyrant. You should really only need to kill 3 more monsters at this point so you'll have 3 extra shots for safety too. It's pretty easy to get sub 3 hours with very little practice. Ideally you shouldn't really need to kill anything in the mansion besides bosses and maybe a hunter later in the eastern stairwell but you can afford to tank through a couple of crimson head hits on normal since there's a bunch of healing items about.

If you wanted to do this as Chris there's not really any tricks beyond the Samurai Edge or learning the route really well. Beyond getting the old keys his route for speed is the same as Jill's. The assault shotgun is your pal and on non-hard difficulties the game showers you with shells. You can save Rebecca but its not strictly necessary since she's not really helpful anymore at that point in the game.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

They look like action figures in that image. Is that supposed to be Chris & Piers?

well it's a stage play so they're kinda far away.

Also how many times has the details of the mansion incident changed? According to the play Rebecca's role went from "lost her gun and tries to save Richard" to "Who's Richard? Rebecca knows how to set the self-destruct". Unless I'm missing something here, I haven't played REmake is a veeeeeery long time

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dj Meow Mix posted:

If you wanted to do this as Chris there's not really any tricks beyond the Samurai Edge or learning the route really well. Beyond getting the old keys his route for speed is the same as Jill's. The assault shotgun is your pal and on non-hard difficulties the game showers you with shells. You can save Rebecca but its not strictly necessary since she's not really helpful anymore at that point in the game.

The big advantages Chris has is that his flash grenade defense items are a guaranteed decapitation and he's got a really fast running speed if you don't have a weapon equipped.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

The big advantages Chris has is that his flash grenade defense items are a guaranteed decapitation and he's got a really fast running speed if you don't have a weapon equipped.
The grenade is also a perfect "shortcut" vs Elder Crimson. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it the first time; I never -- not in a million years -- expected a Resident Evil game to have such a ludicrous way to cheese what's designed as a scary "oh poo poo!" encounter. I mean he's supposed to be a relatively big deal, given that he's the first boss and the last obstacle between you and getting outside to the Courtyard, yet you can just run into him ASAP yelling "shut up and eat your pineapple" and it's all over!

Chris' other big advantage over Jill is that he can take far more of a beating, ridiculously so on easier difficulties, which makes any achievement-chasing kniferun a trivial endeavour when you can just tank your way through any mandatory fights while giggling like an idiot :v:

Aces High posted:

Also how many times has the details of the mansion incident changed? According to the play Rebecca's role went from "lost her gun and tries to save Richard" to "Who's Richard? Rebecca knows how to set the self-destruct". Unless I'm missing something here, I haven't played REmake is a veeeeeery long time
As far as REmake goes, Rebecca loses her gun, saves Richard (from the Yawn's poison at least), and knows how to set off the lab's self-destruct sequence (because she read a file). No idea why the play would change any of that, but whatever. The details keep changing goddamnit, we need another REmake of the Mansion Incident which finally puts all that "well it's a mush of stuff out of both scenarios" nonsense to bed and gives us an actual concrete series of events to discuss like adults/squabble over like children every time a game later down the line decides to retcon things for no good reason. The closest we've got to what canonically happened (where nobody spends three hours in jail and all four survivors do stuff and escape) is that bloody S.D. Perry novelisation!

Also for some reason I've taken to wasting Plant 42 with the Beretta in the original game. Last run saw 135 bullets sitting in the Item Box by that point, so I just thought "gently caress it" and spent 50 -60 of them... along with several mixed herbs because that acid poo poo would not stop falling at the worst possible time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Part of me wants to reread those books because I was in fifth or sixth grade when I read them but I want to keep remembering them as not too bad. The same thing with the Doom novels and the Nintendo World's of Power books

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Len posted:

Part of me wants to reread those books because I was in fifth or sixth grade when I read them but I want to keep remembering them as not too bad. The same thing with the Doom novels and the Nintendo World's of Power books
Same, to a degree; it did have a few things I liked (such as working around that courtyard battery puzzle). I want to just leave it at that, despite knowing full well it's also full of nonsense and stupid poo poo.

The Doom novels though. Urgh. I tried reading the first one years after it was published (and long into my obsession with the game itself) and hated every goddamn bastard moment.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
As someone that's read an embarrassing amount of fanfiction:

The RE novels were mediocre, guilty pleasure levels of fanfiction. They weren't terrible, for the most part, and were decent junk food for someone familiar with the series. Like, I vaguely remember getting a chuckle when Jill skips the statue/gas puzzle and just breaks the glass on the case.

The above is said with an exception, however: Rebeca. I don't hate Rebeca in the game series. Sure, her game was terrible, and she was a bit of the standard side character woobie in RE / REmake, but overall she ranged from "meh" to vaguely positive on the acceptable scale.

Novel Rebeca is either some kinda self insert or a fetish character. Maybe both? I can't quite recall, memory block or some poo poo.

I do know she had her own spin off book (or two?) that made RE0 look like a goddamned masterpiece of storytelling, though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I was first playing RE0, I figured the 23 people Billy Coen was convicted of killing were actually just stray zombies or something and the court just didn't notice.

If I were writing an RE0 novelization I would just straight up make that Billy's backstory.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just some stupid poo poo that had until recently bugged me every time I played RE1 and Director's Cut because I didn't know exactly why things looked different despite the camera angle being the same:
http://i.imgur.com/dDkNjsZ.gifv

Now it's setting off my symmetry OCD with those uneven light placements.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Wanderer posted:

Yeah. I tend not to think about it too much since when i'm running ideally that's the only bite that Chris should take lol. I've probably played this game too much recently. You can also shoot the zombie with the grenade in its mouth to make the explosion happen faster which is the quickest way to leave the elder room.

Regardless, Chris' running speed doesn't make up for Jill's boss kill speed and how fast she can get through the first mansion trip (yay lockpick) and laboratory (yay barry magnum). It was a far more pronounced difference until I got way better at doing the relay races, but I think the difference now is around 5-10 minutes at most between Chris and Jill bad ending for me

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Leon Cross posted:

Novel Rebeca is either some kinda self insert or a fetish character. Maybe both? I can't quite recall, memory block or some poo poo.

I do know she had her own spin off book (or two?) that made RE0 look like a goddamned masterpiece of storytelling, though.

I do actually remember reading one of the RE books as a wee little kid, once, which starred Rebecca. It had zombies which had been trained to shoot guns. That was literally the only thing I remember about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Backhand posted:

I do actually remember reading one of the RE books as a wee little kid, once, which starred Rebecca. It had zombies which had been trained to shoot guns. That was literally the only thing I remember about it.

That was book 2 Caliban Cove. I remember because I wanted book 1 but my parents wouldn't buy it for me because I could just play the game and get the story.