Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I haven't played RE6, but I have played RE5 and the mandatory co-op ruins a lot of what could have been a fun follow-up to 4. Having to constantly manage the AI partner is frustrating and ruins a lot of the atmosphere, the inventory system isn't as fun to manage (Say what you will, but I liked inventory Tetris), and the game just doesn't have nearly as many memorable moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Whatever its flaws me be, and it has several big ones, Resident Evil 6 unquestionably has the best, most fluid, most responsive controls of any third person shooter.

I have always found RE6's controls to be incredibly clunky and trying to take advantage of the new movement options always felt like a pain in the rear end. I modified settings and sensitivities as various people have suggested but it's never worked for me. How do you do it? Am I doing it wrong? I get the impression that RE6 is a game where for some people it clicks, they get it and love it, but for everyone else it's just a mess.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

It IS a mess. God the camera...

This is the first RE game I’m struggling to get through. Maybe it’s better co-op but all my irl friends are dead.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I haven’t played this yet because I generally find open world games dull, but I just got this on the Steam sale so color me intrigued!

mgsv is a masterpiece.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

sponges posted:

It IS a mess. God the camera...

This is the first RE game I’m struggling to get through. Maybe it’s better co-op but all my irl friends are dead.

you can change the camera, they added the options to in a patch, i can't remember my settings but you can get it pretty close to re4 style or any decent camera.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Re6 just requires certain finesse but the controls are fine imo.

Quickshot alone is a fantastic feature since it lets you turn instantly towards an enemy trying to sneak up on you.

Why this isnt a feature in every shooter, I dunno.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lunethex posted:

RE4 - Best Level Design
RE5 - Best Graphics
RE6 - Best Gameplay

I agree but RE4 is the best Resident Evil game. RE5/6 are good games but poor "Resident Evil" games in terms of what you do and they stray more and more away from degrees of horror or survival. It's like how Metroid Fusion is a good game but a bad "Metroid" game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dewgy posted:

The best part of RE6 is Ada’s silent magical co-op partner. Every time she uses a zip line to get somewhere he’s just...there already. Like creepy Watson with a SWAT mask and shotgun.

If there's one thing I hate about RE6, it's that for some strange reason Capcom patched in a co-op partner for Ada's campaign, which is clearly designed for single player. Makes no goddamn sense.

Edit: btw the best classic style RE is Outbreak File #2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I had way more trouble not dying in RE6 than I ever did in a classic RE game, so these arguments never amounted to much to me personally.

Fusion is the best Metroid game btw.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I dunno, Resident Evil feels like it's only horror in the sense that Castelvania is horror ie. you're fighting classic horror monsters. I can't say it's ever really been scary outside of the shock of a loving dog crashing in through the window.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Flytrap posted:

I dunno, Resident Evil feels like it's only horror in the sense that Castelvania is horror ie. you're fighting classic horror monsters. I can't say it's ever really been scary outside of the shock of a loving dog crashing in through the window.
The original was definitely going for the horror vibe most of the time, even if it broke it up with a bit of levity occasionally. It worked pretty well too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In some ways I think those classic Castlevania games are proto-survival horror. Simon Belmont has limited movement, can't take too many hits, is fighting horror monsters etc., but can still become incredibly powerful with the right tools and a skilled enough player behind him. That's not too entirely different a design philosophy than the one that guides, say, RE1.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The emotions I felt when playing RE3 for the first time and Nemesis kept appearing out of nowhere can only be described as a combination of horror and terror. These games definitely lived up to the reputation at the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

mgsv is a masterpiece.

Its about half a masterpiece.

SettingSun posted:

If there's one thing I hate about RE6, it's that for some strange reason Capcom patched in a co-op partner for Ada's campaign, which is clearly designed for single player. Makes no goddamn sense.

Edit: btw the best classic style RE is Outbreak File #2.

People wanted to co-op so they put it in. Designed for it or not I enjoyed Ada’s campaign more after I played it with someone playing as the silent SWAT dude.

Although I forget, does the coop partner get to do anything during the explicitly single player parts like the helicopter bits? Or do they get their own helicopter?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

SettingSun posted:

The strange reason was people bitching a bunch it didn't have co-op.

Unrelated, every time anyone talks about the Nemesis stalking you the entire time in Resident Evil 3 they seem to forget that's only the case for like barely the first half of the game. Randomness goes completely out the window by the second half as it's all scripted events at the same points and he's only around for increasingly lovely boss fights by the final area. If they ever remade Resident Evil 3 it'd be nice if he stuck around hunting you the entire game.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 22, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Isn’t he technically scripted for every encounter? There’s just a bit of randomness depending on where you go first.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There are a bunch of places to cheese the gently caress out of Nemesis but it's only worth it if you want the first aid spray case and the better/faster shotgun and pistol

(the pistol is worth it but it cant use the upgraded ammunition IIRC)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

mgsv is a masterpiece.

Of course, all masterpieces feature 3 to 4 unique missions, rehashed over and over a million times. What an awful game that was.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

codo27 posted:

Of course, all masterpieces feature 3 to 4 unique missions, rehashed over and over a million times. What an awful game that was.

All main missions in MGSV are quite unique even if the objective very similar.

MGSV is a very good game by MGS standards.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Isn’t he technically scripted for every encounter? There’s just a bit of randomness depending on where you go first.

100%. But there's no way of knowing that until you play the game a time or two (or looked it up I guess). The second half of the game doesn't live up to the first but I still enjoy it since it's short.

Good soup! posted:

There are a bunch of places to cheese the gently caress out of Nemesis but it's only worth it if you want the first aid spray case and the better/faster shotgun and pistol

(the pistol is worth it but it cant use the upgraded ammunition IIRC)

The Eagle 2.0 has a much higher crit rate IIRC but the enhanced ammo makes Nemesis flinch, making it and the default pistol superior.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember the Eagle 2.0 making popping zombie heads trivial in the start so it's probably better to switch back to the main pistol once you get that kickass ammo

Umbrellas spent all that money making Nemesis and he can't climb and has troubles with corners smdh

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

WaltherFeng posted:

All main missions in MGSV are quite unique even if the objective very similar.

MGSV is a very good game by MGS standards.

By MGS standards, it's worthless, just as how RE6 is a bad RE game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The problem is that you only get enhanced ammo by hand-crafting bullets and shells from gunpowder, and if you're on enough of a Nemesis-slaying kick that you've got the Eagle and the sawn-off shotgun in the first place, all your gunpowder is likely going straight into freeze rounds. You don't have the ammo economy to do much else.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

By MGS standards, it's worthless, just as how RE6 is a bad RE game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
He's not wrong, it's a good game but a bad metal gear

Much like re6

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s a fine half a metal gear.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
MGSV would be great if they'd remembered that it wasn't a PSP game this time, so they could actually have some of the important plot stuff be in cutscenes, not be all in audio files. Also if they'd let Kojima finish the big important mission that ended up being made into a crude slide show in a DVD extra.

The best RE song is the Top Gun-ish songs from the first game with the Kenny Loggins type lyrics in slightly broken english.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MGSV is good, nerds.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldMemes posted:

MGSV would be great if they'd remembered that it wasn't a PSP game this time, so they could actually have some of the important plot stuff be in cutscenes, not be all in audio files.

to be fair that happened because Kojima insisted on having Kieffer Sutherland voice Venom Snake and getting him to do the facial motion capture would have been even more expensive

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It wasn't a good idea to hire Sutherland like that, you could easily tell the budget wasn't there. He had a handful of lines in the entire game.
This is kinda what people mean when they say it's not really a proper Metal Gear, the cutscenes and actual dialog suffered in a big way compared to previous entries. Big Boss isn't anywhere near as well realized and fleshed out as Solid Snake was.

I know he isn't actually Big Boss

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE6 would have been a fantastic game if it just cooled it a bit with the scripted setpieces, QTEs and one hit kills. Mechanically it's extremely solid and flashy, but the campaigns almost seem like Capcom lack confidence in the game mechanics and have to throw some new gimmicky poo poo that takes away from the game every few minutes.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

lack confidence in the game mechanics and have to throw some new gimmicky poo poo that takes away from the game every few minutes.

This is basically a description for like almost every single AAA game released last gen tbh.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Steam summer sale dropped the price of RE7 enough to make me grab it. Been playing it all day and had such a blast. Gotta say I wasn't sold at first but this game is tense as balls. Having to go all the way into the back of the guest house really brought back some great F.E.A.R. vibes, enough to make me overlook the cheaper jump scares that earn me scowls from the missus and wake up the pet ferrets. I've got my two keycards and I'm off to say hi to Lucas. Interested to see what the brain trust kid can throw at me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

man nurse posted:

MGSV is good, nerds.

It is good. Just half as good as it could be.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kibayasu posted:

It is good. Just half as good as it could be.

I guess the true phantom pain was the half of the game that was never developped all along...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

No he's right,MgsV sucks.

Peacewalker beats MgsV.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No he's right,MgsV sucks.

Peacewalker beats MgsV.

What? Peace Walker is the worst of the series. At least MGSV feels good to play, but they're still both far too easy grindfests.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In Peace Walker you fight singing robots and a mech while a j-pop song called “Love Deterrence” plays and the bad guy’s name is Hot Coldman and Snake and Miller wrestle naked in a shower instead of fighting sexy zombies and The End but sexy and the bad guy’s name is Skullface so personally I’m going to have to go with Peace Walker on this one.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What? Peace Walker is the worst of the series. At least MGSV feels good to play, but they're still both far too easy grindfests.

Oh don't get me wrong MGSV's sneaking and controls were the best of any of them but peacewalker is the closest thing to an MGS3 sequel with the most addictive gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Can't help but wonder how they'll change ada's death scene falling down that shaft.