Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've only played the Leon segment so far, but I dug it. It's awesome to be shooting zombies again for once, and I like the slow burn atmosphere as well as the new control scheme. It feels like its own new thing instead of a less good version of RE4 like 5 ended up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've completed Leon and Jake's campaigns so far. Time for an unpopular opinion: this game loving owns. Seriously, it's at least ten times better than RE 5, I don't understand how anyone could feel different.

The new mechanics feel really good to me (and the implementation of melee is fuckawesome). There's nothing like diving out of the way of a zombie that's just flung itself at you, then shuffling backwards on the floor while firing frantically at it as it tries to crawl towards you. It feels like a proper modernization of classic Resident Evil.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Man, I'm just not down with the hate on this game. Everything about it is better than 5. I think it got such a negative backlash because none of the crunch-time reviewers bothered to learn how to play it. I'm just now starting my professional mode playthrough and I'm not tired of the game in the least, unlike 5 which was a total slog. The melee and movement system is this is just so versatile and satisfying, and I love the integration of the website, it really is a great way to add replay incentive. The partner system is no longer bullshit, the bosses are epic and fun again, it has replay value up the rear end, and is genuinely good at making situations intense without being unfair about it. For my money, this is the best offering since 4.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Bonaventure posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'd forgotten all about the website thing. What's on there, exactly?
Besides tracking every gameplay stat you could possibly think of, there's weekly global events you can participate in simply by playing, like speedruns of a specific chapter or competing for scores in mercenaries, or racking up a total number of kills of a specific type of enemy. You get points on the website for making progress in the game and participating in these events, which you can then spend on in-game unlockables (mercenaries costumes/loadouts) and others meaningless trinkets. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's a pretty great effort by the company to inject some post-release flavor that isn't just DLC.

The website is also laden with achievements, if you're into that.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Good, because the PS3 version needs anti-aliasing something fierce.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Relin posted:

Are there cheevos connected to No Hope? My co-op partner doesn't want to play through past Professional. Also, are the costumes unlockable on re.net the same as the ones available in game?
The costumes on the site are recolors of the alternates in the game, along with different weapon loadouts.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
^
Wow, way to make my day Capcom.

Resident Evil 2 is 15 years old, wow. Guess it's time for what seems like my yearly play-through.

The new patch is good, although admittedly that functionality should've been there to begin with. However, I'm one of the few fans of this game, and I'm thrilled they're giving it so much post-release support between this and the integrated website. I used the chapter section select to knock out the hidden Jake and Ada trophies real quick. Will make wrapping up the missing serpent emblems much easier, too.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Resident Evil Zero. :getin:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I have to admit, there's not a whole lot I miss from 5. For me, 6 is a much more kinetic and less frustrating experience, and feels a lot more like Resident Evil than 5 did.

However, 5 had Wesker. Jake can't compete with that.

Man, my money was on Jake being one of those Wesker kids mentioned in the memo from Lost In Nightmares (which is secretly the best Resident Evil game of the decade). I wonder if Capcom will ever pick up that potential plot thread or just totally forget about it.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Map Pack B is also coming this Tuesday. No idea what's in it, though.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'll probably skip anything multiplayer (as I did with RE 5) because it seems like it would be either dead, awful, or both. I'll gladly kick in for more mercenaries poo poo though. Anyone with a 360 who has any thoughts on the multiplayer stuff?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
You can unlock the EX3 costumes starting today, and also there's new mercenary maps although they're not really that good imo. I was able to unlock a couple more costumes on them though, so ymmv.

Anyone have any idea what this new "creature level" is on the website? Related to agent hunt maybe?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Even though the entire article is just conjecture and hearsay, I have to say I'm really sick of everything going for the reboot the minute something in a franchise gets a mediocre reception. Just make the next one better, drat. No need to drop everything and run.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I just want Capcom to give us Billy and Barry Do Canada already and put all this silly talk of open world reboots to rest.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Well they seemed to be setting up a huge battle with umbrella and all the heroes gathering then RE4 retconned everything.
Actually, Umbrella Chronicles deals with that exact scenario, so.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
If you think about it, those are really the only characters at that point that have any reason or stake in assaulting the facility where the entirety of Umbrella's assets are backed up. Barry hosed off to Canada to be a family man, Billy is out living a new identity, Sherry is under government custody and Leon is coerced into working for them, and everyone else is dead or just trying to live a zombie free life.

But I digress; plot in Resident Evil games. I'm just saying, it more or less portrays the major final encounter with (or assault on) Umbrella, anti-climactic or not. Seeing as how it all comes back to Chris, Wesker, and Jill when all is said and done, it doesn't seem that inappropriate.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 5, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
There's now a benchmarking tool available for the PC version, but I can't get the thing to eclipse even 30 fps no matter what settings I use or adjust, and I'm running a pretty decent setup here. Maybe it's just poorly optimized?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Just a heads up for anyone who cares, you can now unlock tons of concept art with blurbs from the art director on the website thing. Some of it is pretty interesting.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
So. Resident Evil 5 on PC is using my integrated intel graphics instead of the Nvidia card I have. This is probably due to that stupid Optimus technology, but when I try to force it to use the card in the control panel, I can't. It's greyed out, forcing it to run on the integrated graphics. I haven't had this problem with other games. Is there a workaround for this? Usually I can just force the program to use the Nvidia card through the control panel.

Edit: Figured it out, just had to rename the executable.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 20, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
RESIDENT EVIL 6 / BIOHAZARD 6

This game is gorgeous and smooth as butter on PC. Worth the upgrade when you factor in all the crazy extras. Hopefully it'll maintain a good online presence on Steam.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Unbearable posted:

I'm loving it even with kbm, for what it's worth.

Also, the PC version has a field of view setting, doesn't feel as claustrophobic if you turn it up a bit. You can't adjust it when you're actually in game, so be sure to visit the options page in the main menu before you start the first real chapter.
I find the optimal settings to be 15, 10, and 10 in descending order, with both camera and aim speed set to 7. Then change the crosshair to laser sights, and you're golden.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Dan Didio posted:

I picked up RE6 when it was on sale furing the Xbox Live thing they did recently. I've been kind of struggling with it. I'm having the same troubles I had when I first played it, namely that the game doesn't explain things very well, or convey information to you effectively at all. I am enjoying it a lot more than I did when I first played it, but I thought it was pretty terrible when I first gave it a shot, so that doesn't mean much.

I'm going through Leon's campaign first this time. I'm up to the Church boss-fight, or rather just after the Church segment. Done all the puzzles, killed the wierd, wheezing gas monster, gone down and found the Ada link.

Anybody have any recommendations for things to keep in mind for the rest of it. I'm playing as Helena, who is a way more interesting protagonist at this point, if that helps.
Yes. Use the quick shot with the Hydra all day every day.

Edit: Helena is the last person in this game that I'd deem "interesting", and that's really saying something.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I cannot get Resident Evil 5 to use my graphics card. I have a laptop with that stupid Nvidia Optimus technology. RE 5 insists on using the onboard intel graphics instead, and the usual method of forcing the graphics processor through the nvidia control panel isn't working, it's just greyed out on "integrated graphics". Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a workaround, or am I just screwed?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
This is probably my favorite one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yopPqUUGzsQ

It sounds so aloof, like a kid is getting in trouble.

Someone actually made these tracks. Someone put this together, sat back, and was like "Yeah. This is good."

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I stayed away from ORC due to bad word of mouth but then I ended up being one of those weird fuckers that adores RE 6 so for $13 gently caress it, I'm in.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Boy howdy, ORC just runs like poo poo for me, and I'm on a Geforce 650M. Is there anything I can do to, y'know, make it not run like poo poo? Stuttering all day er' day no matter what I turn down.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Steinuh posted:

Hey does anyone have the Chronicles games for the PS3? I'm wondering how it is with the ps3 control rather than a move.
Functional. Probably not as fun, but I'm such a Resident Evil fanboy that it's worth it for me to have an HD version of the games so I can revisit the remade environments and such. Lots of replayability, too.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Red Mundus posted:

I suddenly have a hankering to play the older residents evils, 1-3. What's the best way to get them for the pc? I can't seem to find any digital retailers that have them.

If that fails is there a way to get them for xbox? I know Re4 got a HD release and I wonder if a HD release or something similar was done for the older games.
Nah, Code Veronica is the only other game to get the HD treatment. The PS1 games are available on the Playstation Store, but other than that, no digital distribution. For what it's worth, Capcom wants to get them on Steam, so maybe someday? The franchise has been picking up steam on PC lately.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

catlord posted:

I dunno, so far RE6 just doesn't seem to be doing it for me. I'm only in Leon chapter 2, but various design choice keep nagging at me and it's making it hard to enjoy when I pull of suplexing like, a dozen zombies in a row. Level and encounter design, for one. I keep dying, which wouldn't be an issue but none of my deaths feel fair. I meet a zombie or two and suddenly I have no health. Maybe Leon's HUD is just messing with me, I don't remember having that problem in 4. The camera bothers me too, is there an option I missed somewhere so that I don't get a low angle when I run?

I've heard some people say that Leon's campaign is pretty bad, are some of these problems fixed in other campaigns? Should I just skip Leon and go to Chris and Jake?

Also, gently caress Bloodshots, I can never seem to hit the counter. And dogs, my quick shots keep on missing.
You can absolutely change an option that keeps the camera upright during dashes. Also consider dicking with the field of view options, I find it makes a big difference. Finally, make sure you're playing with laser sights instead of the crosshair.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I love this game. It's like a return to old school Resident Evil, but you can still move while you aim. Also, any game that lets me scan things earns extra points.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Wow, what an inspired DLC! Also, that Jessica character sets a new low for a series already not known for its portrayal of women.

Can someone explain the dodging mechanic to me? The way the game explained it works about as consistently as RE 3's does.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
What's the status on that Resident Evil 1.5 fan reconstruction? I remember they released a very unfinished build in order to quell a leak, but I heard something about them having since released a more updated version. Anyone got the skinny on that?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, honest question: I never played Op: Raccoon, and I got bored with RE6 after I beat Leon's campaign. Should I get Revelations? Or am I going to go through another waist-high cover mutant shooter?

I guess what I'm asking: am I going to be scared by this one, and will there be zombies or zambamboes?
Revelations is definitely a return to the more slow burn horror style of the series, and is much more a survival horror than an action shooter, I don't think you even use cover. Ammo is sparse, corridors are dark. I would compare it to a classic style Resident Evil with the control scheme of 4. There are no zombies, but there are no gun toting enemies either. Just spooky shambling things.

Basically yes, get it.

I'd also like to add that I thought Operation Raccoon City was a fun romp. I especially liked getting to see Raccoon City all bombed out in current gen graphics.

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 6, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

timeandtide posted:

RE 5 original concepts detailed based on the RE5 Art Book: http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-depth/resident-evil-5-beta-4-5-information-lost-scrapped-concepts/

Bro-venture with Barry Burton! Branching narratives! Some interesting set pieces (Chris gets stuck in a room stocked floor to ceiling with red barrels and zombies...if one barrel blows, they all do, forcing you to use the knife or run) and the return of the merchant!

God drat it, everything in here is so much cooler than what we ended up getting with boring rear end resident evil 5 :negative: all for some lovely pain in the rear end co-op mechanics

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Sorry, true facts here for a second: Resident Evil 6 owned, Resident Evil 5 did not.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Code Veronica is the perfect mix of plot insanity and hammy dialogue combined with legitimately creepy atmosphere. It's the perfect example of what I come to the series for and remains my favorite game in the series to this day. Darkside Chronicles version owns too because it turns all that poo poo up to 11.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

NikkolasKing posted:

I am just kinda curious if anyone in here has a favorite RE soundtrack or soundtracks?

For me it's RE2, 0 and Outbreak 1. Code Veronica was in third place but then I remembered how good Outbreak was.
Code Veronica, hands down. I mean, just listen to it. It's a consistently haunting and grandiose soundtrack. Some of the most memorable stuff in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRVKmPzG9WA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGlJ2v5OdgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdL2bygEols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOfY-oSB1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWpqoWa3hb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArJVYaM7mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BohOcZ_DfQ

MarioTeachesWiping fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 13, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I just want Barry. Wheeeeeere's Barry?!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
If Barry is seriously loving in this game my life will be complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I can't loving believe we get to play as Barry. The best male and female characters from the series headlining a game where they're on a spooky prison island AGAIN? And it's only $25> Sign me right the gently caress up, this owns.