Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Azran posted:

Do we have any idea if the two bonus episodes will add more Raid Mode content?

I hope so; there's so many more characters they should add. Helena where are you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lunethex posted:

oh and Co-op won't be available for raid until March 31st I guess. It was posted on the steam board.

Where?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

HR12345 posted:

While I have played RE6, explain it for those of us in the cheap seats why Helena is on Steve level.

Why did you quote a post from October? :confused:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Convex posted:

REV2 PC now has RE.net support, guess that means online co-op as well?

Nope! That's not til the 31st

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So how long is episode 4? I know the last 3 ranged from about 90 minutes to 2 1/2 hours for me. I'm hoping to finish it up tonight once I get off of work but if it's like 4 hours then I'll have to wait until Friday.

Barry's took me 1:12, for what it's worth. None of the others ever took anywhere near that long for me, though, so your mileage might vary.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

A new patch came out for the PC version that fixes (at least for me) literally all of the performance issues I've been having so if you've been struggling, worry not!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Did people actually die to Glasps at any point? They're so slow and you get so much warning and they take like two bullets to kill

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Alteisen posted:

The path finding in this game is loving awful, my A.I retard keeps getting stuck on enemies and getting killed because for some reason Moira is granted regen health and the ability to be picked up but not Claire, think I've died 8 times in Chapter 2 alone because of this.

Also for some reason even if I load up Moira with herbs and tourniquets she doesn't heal Claire at all even if she''s at critical health, I get the don't go dying on me voice clip but that's about it.

Oh well, at least raid mode is fun.

You really should be swapping back and forth a lot between them, it makes it remarkably easier.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Speaking of the main game, wasn't it supposed to get online co-op at some point?

Nope.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Azran posted:

Did they ever finish optimizing Rev2? Also, is enemy placement in Raid Mode still the same in every difficulty?

Yes. Also yes.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

RoanHorse posted:

If by 'finished optimizing' you mean 'took your money and stopped caring' then yes, yes they did 'finish' that.

It's a thousand times better than it was before; it still hitches at the start of a mission but my framerate afterward is a steady 60 where before i was lucky to hit 20 on a good day.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

All of the above is true but I still can't stop playing it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

1st AD posted:

RE6 is waaaaaaaay more fun to play co-op because of the improved melee system and overall speed and fluidity of movement.

Essentially this; RE6 is an intensely good co-op game because of the mechanics and just how good it feels to play, especially compared to RE5.

I just went through RE5 with my girlfriend recently and ... poo poo, I wasn't all that impressed. The tiniest inventories in the world combined with really boring and same-y enemies made the game feel like I was just doing the same poo poo over and over.
Not to mention that dumb bullshit flamethrower boss which was the most frustrating thing in the world.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

RE6 has the most amazingly terrible inventory system, so complaining about 5's relatively benign system doesn't make much sense.

It's just insanely tiny in RE5, especially if you want either or both of the armors. Or god forbid the grenade launcher.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Leon's campaign was fine and then Simmons

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chris' campaign in RE6 is the best actually because Piers dies

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Geight posted:

As addictive as it is, there are just better options for shooting at things and making numbers go up these days. I'll keep playing Raid2 until I get to see the Code Red stuff that I hear makes it actually somewhat challenging, but I expect even that will be the same underwhelming experience.

As someone who just finished off Code Red, it's super boring; you have to play at 90 to get the medals, and since the enemies are all 105 everything's a bullet sponge and it just takes longer. Not really interesting at all.

Raid Mode could have been fun, but they just made all the wrong choices with it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I had neither and did just fine.

Magic Pixel and a lifesteal weapon sure saved me plenty, though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

People who want Rev 2's Raid Mode to be more like 1 are loving idiots

I played through 2 first and now the gf and I are going through 1, and holy gently caress is it a drag. Spending a half hour inside a single level, those godawful swimming stages, needing not to take any damage whatsoever in those giant levels, set skills per character, and (the worst part) the ridiculously slow leveling speed that requires you to go back and grind old levels a lot in order to stay remotely close to the recommended levels.

The only good thing is the different enemy spawns per difficulty level; everything else is just terrible.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Have you not yet thrown a brick

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

I've just completed R.E. Rev 1 and wondered if anyone knew if the achievements were bugged on steam? I only have two of them and none for completing the stages or don't you get them for being a scrub and playing on easy?

April of this year, so I dunno. I doubt they changed anything in that time.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I have 0 faith in a Resident Evil 2 remake.

But I hope I am wrong, I truly am, I hope its loving fantastic and a serious game of the year candidate.

Did you not play the RE1 remake? It was pretty stellar

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

You're an even bigger idiot.

RE6 has had the best gameplay by far, though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's actually a really good game with a dumb story

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so I bit the bullet on RE6 for £5 and this is the most insane game ever made. I love it. It's awful.

I hope you're playing it co-op because that's really the only way to play it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Co-op Mercenaries in RE6 is really really fun and worth the price of admission all on its own

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Personally I've really enjoyed having a companion and online co-op in RE games.

I also really liked REmake so I'd be fine with RE2 turning out either way, to be honest.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

RE6 is an amazing game with a terrible campaign; fortunately, co-op Mercenaries mode more than makes up for it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

RE6 is a really bad game but a lot of people in this thread payed $60 for it and don't like being wrong online so they say it's good in really oblique ways.

It was gifted to me and I had an enormous amount of fun with it. It's almost like anecdotes aren't data.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

no idea why they are stretching those all out and are starting completely backwards, worst to best, but you bet your rear end I'll be buying RE4 for the sixth time in my life. Might get RE5 if only for the co-op as well.

RE6 is a thousand times better than 5 though?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Rocco posted:

I don't know anyone in real life on planet Earth that thinks this.

RE6 co-op Mercenaries is the most fun poo poo, what does RE5 have other than the least memorable campaign and boring enemies

Sheva was neat I guess

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

On one hand RE6 has some good parts.

On the other I'm onboard for another REmake style game so this isn' t a bad thing.

Effectively this. RE6 was really fun, but the old style REmake stuff was extremely fun too so I'm okay with this going either way.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

I have to admit I'm completely uninterested by the idea of co-op at all in Resident Evil, I just want to jump in a game and play without having to worry about potentially babysitting lovely AI or finding someone who isn't garbage to play with online.

I'm probably the only one who feels that way, but I really haven't enjoyed the trend in recent games towards co-op at all (Outbreak excluded).

I too have no friends

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Okay. Here's the thing.

Once you get above a certain point as a company, it becomes impossible to please the fans. Every individual element that comprises the whole of your game, every bullet point on the box that attracts an individual's eye, acquires an fanbase of its own, which may very well number in the hundreds of thousands.

What you like about Resident Evil may be the sense of vulnerability and desperation you get when you're scraping by, room to room, at half health and two bullets. That's certainly what put it on the map, and there are quite a few people who'd agree with you.

However, there are just as many people who only started to care about the series when RE4 came out. Those are the people who came to this party for lunatic, high-adrenaline action set pieces where enemies drop ammo and health like flesh pinatas, and you get to blow away people by the dozen with unrealistically customized weapons. They're why half the action games that came out after RE4 also share its perspective and basic controls.

Then you get the people who enjoy the game for its relatively recent co-op focus, and there are more of those than you think, because RE5 is the single best-selling title in Capcom's entire body of work. Whenever anyone mentions how big a failure RE5 was, they should immediately go look at its sales figures and die a little inside.

You can break it down even further here. A bunch of vocal fans are in it because they're big fans of "slash" fiction, or they're gay fans of Chris or Leon; there's still a pretty substantial hardcore community centered around piecing together the series's lore, out of all the vast and contradictory elements it contains; and there's some substantial crossover with horror buffs and film junkies. People still do Let's Plays and streams of the older games all the time, so now you've got an up-and-coming fanbase for the series that consists of people who may have never touched the games themselves, but who will still draw fan art and talk about it online, which makes them part of the community.

All of these varying camps have people in them who are vocal, prolific, and active, who will campaign for their particular view of what the franchise "should be" given any excuse whatsoever. The overwhelming effect, from inside the company, or even from inside the press or enthusiast communities, is a sort of roaring white noise. It's why most big companies will employ multiple community managers, whose entire job is to dive into this poo poo-river and sift through it for whatever useful data they can derive. I have a standing offer to whoever manages the Resident Evil Facebook page to buy them a frankly lethal number of drinks, because I've done enough community management in my time to know how horrible it is, and the RE Facebook page in particular is a neurotoxic catastrophe.

Because their audience is so vast and contradictory, the typical big-company response will be to take some of the feedback into account, filtered as it is, and then proceed to do whatever they think is best, either creatively or financially. In this case, from what little we know, it looks like they wanted to try to recapture some of the atmosphere of exploring the Spencer mansion, since the HD Remaster of the REmake did so well, while also having RE's name on a launch-window title for the imminent virtual-reality explosion. There's also been some internal backlash against the notoriously market-driven process that led to RE6, but we've known that since 2012, and it's part of why Capcom's been restructuring itself for the last couple of years.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

IF they wanted to please the fans they would have done something similar to the demo in terms of setting and story but in 3rd person and made it overall very similar to Resident Evil Remake. Simple as that.

Turning RE into a Co-Op shooter (RE5), a mindless military action game with absurd set pieces (RE6), a COD Clone (Umbrella Corps), or an indie walking simulator (RE7) is not what people wanted

Seeing these posts one right after the other is hilarious

I guess I'm in the minority; I liked the trailer, haven't played the demo, but I'm happy to see whatever they come up with since I've enjoyed all the mainline games so far.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I only recently realized people don't like 5. They changed some stuff and went a more action route with it, but it felt like a progression of 4 so I loved it when it came out. The level design, the production value, the art design all felt in line with where the series was at. Then 6 rolled around and threw everything in the trash. Outside of some decent monster design (that was far outweighed by bad monster design) everything felt wrong about it. The controls suck, the animations suck, the game is butt ugly to look at. Somehow much worse than 5 or even 4 despite it's massive budget. Worst of all the level design is irredeemable. It's just such an unfun game to play.

The thing that bugs me most in the end is just how off it feels. It doesn't feel like part of the same series. At least RE5 for all it's faults felt like they hadn't totally lost touch with RE on a base level. I'm really curious about going back and playing the re release to see how my opinion of it hold up in 2016. I remember it being a flawed but really fun game with the best mercs mode in the series.

RE7 could end up being a straight up walking simulator and I'll probably walk away with a higher opinion than RE6.

I think this is the most insane wrong post I've ever read in my entire life, but the boldest part is a whole new level of what the gently caress. RE6 Mercs is some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game (if played co-cop, which why the gently caress wouldn't you) and RE5's was honestly a little rear end in comparison, while still okay.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Leon's is the best because you get to play as Helena and she's the best and I love her and I'm going to make her my wife.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I remember RE6's core gameplay (run and shoot and punch off heads) being pretty satisfying, but holy poo poo was the game reluctant to let you actually enjoy it.

This is accurate. Fortunately the Mercs mode exists.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

A bunch of people are going to say no, but imo it's good and the only game that's really creeped me the hell out.

This explains so much

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

WitchFetish posted:

So with RE7 being first person horror, are you guys excited for the Pewdeepie let's play? I hope there will be a lot of fun memes and that "the pewds" (that how us letsplayers fans call him) will make a lot of funny scared faces lol

hope it's at least as good as classics like slenderman the arrival and 5 nights at freddy 7 !

"don't forget to like share and suscribe" lmao so good it slays me

"There have been a lot of bad first-person horror games, therefore all first-person horror games are bad" isn't a statement that makes sense to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I liked PT, but I guess that's not saying much