Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I always forget where the "Save RIGHT HERE" parts of the game are and wind up getting wrecked, especially if I've been doing well to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Randallteal posted:

The main thing I'm picking up from watching pieces of this Carcinogen RE4 run is there was way more treasure than I ever knew about hanging on ceilings in that game. I knew about the gas lanterns under the village and most of the bird's nests, but drat they hid a lot of treasure right above your head in that game. I think I missed 99 percent of it the first time I played it.

Can confirm having recently been playing the Wii version. There's poo poo all over the place in that game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, don't play RE6.

If memory serves, it's the only RE game I just quit on and never finished.

*checks memory*

Yes, this was indeed my experience. I forget where I said "gently caress this trash" but I'm pretty sure I was in a sewer. That game flushed everything great about the series right down the toilet and ignored anything having to with the Survival Horror game play I enjoy and was expecting. I didn't like it and do not recommend it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of the best parts of the entire series is that monster that will push Leon into a meat grinder with it if you fail the QTE.

Oh yeah. that ONE quick time event.

I remember now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

It wasn't just that, it was super linear and the re-playability was stripped from it too. In 2 if you wanted to unlock everything it wasn't a big deal to play it 5, 6 more times to unlock the other costumes/infinite weapons/S Ranks because it was so fun and you could learn different/better routes or more creative ways of avoiding zombies.

REmake 3 was just a straight path, a shorter story, and the rewards for multiple clears just weren't as appealing or challenging. RE3 was kinda like a stripped-down DLC on another less powerful console because they didn't have the space on a 3DS cartridge. It's still fun in a bubble, it's just a really small bubble.

It was this. Well put. ANd I liked the game it just wasn't addictive like RE2 was.

You never got that sense of being lost, short on ammo or compelled to explore much at all. And on replays, there was precious little "gonna do THIS this time, boy" beyond "use these items I unlocked".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Bout to fire up RE7 again for the first time in a while which will be fun because I don't remember much about it and my kid likes watching me play these games. Last time we played RE7 though, he legit peed his pants when Mia first showed up so we're gonna try again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, he's not into it because there's no zombie shooting like he's used to.

But he DID just come up with a really cool idea for a new RE game. At least I liked it.

It takes place in a prison and you start out in solitary confinement or something, at the bottom of the jail, while the outbreak takes over the facility. So all the guards, the other prisoners and the SWAT team or whatever that's sent in to quell the outbreak all get zombied out and and you have to fight and kill your way out, unlocking doors and cell blocks and finding weapons to work your way through, floor by floor and level by level.

The resource management and maze like level design this would offer, along with all the locked doors, key cards, weapons, medical areas and secret passages basically write themselves and fit in perfectly with the formula. Finding enough weapons to shoot your way past zombie prison guards and zombie inmates would be fun. Maybe have the opening cinematic set up let you meet certain rear end in a top hat guards, nasty inmates, cheesy lawyers, the corrupt judge that sent you down and a whole bunch of dick heads that make your journey into solitary a living hell and then you meet them all in zombie form on your way out that make them really fun to kill. I dig it.

There was an old survival horror game on PS2 that took place in a jail but I forget the name of it and it had a different tone to what my kid just came up with.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Oh, that PS2 game you're thinking of was probably The Suffering, which is a game that I wish would get a remake because it had some neat ideas but really rough execution.

That was it. I think I remember liking it for a while but never finishing it. I forget why

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The story lines and continuity of the RE series have always been the dumbest and least interesting thing about the games.

I couldn't really tell you the first loving thing about how all these games connect and don't care.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WAs the Silent Hill series really that big a commercial success? I know people like us enjoy it in the RE thread but I seem to recall it being kind of a middle tier seller.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I've made some considerable progress in RE1: Director's Cut. The guardhouse portion was a little nervewracking at first, but I really started enjoying it. I am finding, though, that I do need to clear out enemies in most of the rooms, because trying to dodge past them isn't really viable because of how little space there is. Even in the rec room, which is relatively large, I ended up getting cornered behind the pool table by the giant spiders, and had to shoot my way out. Still, it seemed like I was relatively flush with ammo, healing items, and ink ribbons.

Two big annoyances: first is the inventory system. I'm playing as Jill, so I get an extra two spaces, but having to juggle items gets a little tedious. I know you can combine herbs, but I've tried to keep them separate for the most part, because I don't know if I'll need them for when I reach the endgame. The second was the V-Jolt puzzle; not because of the puzzle itself (which is pretty easy to figure out), but rather the execution of it. Even if you figure out from the wall clues how to proceed, you can't interact with the chemicals until you find the V-Jolt report.

I kind of fumbled the Plant 42 fight. I figured the boss was dead after using the V-Jolt, so I ended up shotgunning it to death, nearly dying in the process.

I'm back in the mansion now and I'm...concerned. At this point, the Hunters replace the zombies, and my first attempt at fighting the Hunter ended with me dead (though my health was in the moderate range, so that might have been a contributing factor.) The guide I was looking at said to use the bazooka, and it works as a one-hit kill, but I have to check to see how much ammo I have for it. I remember picking up a few regular rounds for it, but it seems like most of what I have are the specialty rounds (acid and flame), which I don't think I should waste on them.

tbh this sounds like a typical 1st run of RE1, assuming you're going in blind.

Only thing I'd say is always combine the herbs. There's zero reason not to unless it's green and green and sometimes even then.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

RE7 first time playthrough question as I just started - Are there a lot of items hidden in crates and stuff that I can destroy? I have been plodding through because I'm examining everything and smashing whatever I can but thus far I haven't seen much.

Search everywhere. There's s a drug you can take at some point that will reveal just how much poo poo you're actually missing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i have no idea why you would expect this to be any different than RE7

I guess because 7 was so different from previous entries so maybe people weren't sure if the idea moving forward was to keep changing it up a little? I wasn't certain what to expect. I recently went back to replay RE7 and, for some reason, didn't like it as much the second time around even though I loved it when it was released. 8 looks cool as hell but I'm not buying a new console anytime soon so I'll be back in 5 years with my review. Hopefully the castle is designed to echo the maze like structure of the mansion in RE1 but we'll see I guess.

Meanwhile, if I want a decent scare, I just grabbed Alien:Isolation for Xbone and plan on trying Dead Space 2 after that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not enough love in here for Fatal Frame since we're talking recommendations

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

If anyone was curious about the Tokyo Game Show presentation on Village, the only thing they really said is they're trying to have it on PS4/XBone but can't make any promises.

Man, I hope so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that really what the people who remember the game fondly care about, though? Or is it just because it did something new and unusual (for the time) first while pulling it off decently well?

I'm just questioning this because I've noticed myself also tending a bit towards thinking of old games with rosy nostalgia glasses and then finding I don't actually like them all that much anymore when I replay them. Surprisingly few of them end up being evergreens that I still enjoy today when I put it to the test.

I think people just liked it cause it was creepy as poo poo.

At least that's why I liked it anyway.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Silent Hill games are pretty great and did a wonderful job of freaking me right the gently caress out. Probably more so than the RE series if we're just talking about simply being scared and feeling weird about poo poo. I love scary games and have to give it to the SH series more than RE for just making me feel uneasy.

I love both series but SH is way more unsettling and spooky.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Is Silent Hill Homecoming any good? It's on sale through Humble Bundle for ten bucks.

I loved it but most people disagree with me. I'd say it's easily worth 10 bucks though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I liked RE3 and the remake but it's biggest problem is simply the lack of an addiction factor. I enjoyed feeling more powerful and having environmental things to use in 3 but it just doesn't call to you to replay it the way 2 did. When 2 came out, I couldn't wait to get home from work and fire that bitch up. When I completed a run, I couldn't wait to immediately start a new one. With 3, I think I played it twice and then never really got back to it.

All RE3make had to do was create a few alternate routes, add some crossover with Jill and Carlos in terms of items and weapons, maybe randomize some item placement and have it jam you up a little with a maze like structure to block progress in ways that made you plan. It's been said to death but it really IS too linear and all it offers for replays are items and weapons that just speed up the EXACT SAME run. There's no real thought given to how you can change up your strategy on a replay in terms of what to do first, carry/drop or what to avoid to save ammo since ammo is everywhere.

The shop is interesting and I had fun loving poo poo up on run #2 but after that, the only thing baiting you to play again is just more poo poo from the store. You're still looking at basically the same path minus the areas that need the bolt cutters and lockpick.

Conversely, with RE2 I did two complete A/B, B/A runs with each character (so that's 8 runs, not counting the DLC) and really felt like I was learning more every time I played.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I haven't played anything of the RE5-RE6 era. What's the kindest thing to say about those two?

They suck.

5 is better than 6 but they're both pretty bad. 6 was the 1st game in the series I just flat out quit on and 5 was a slog.

IMO, both Revelations games are superior.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

The reason I was thinking it might be an open campaign was because some of the earliest leaked materials were, if I remember correctly, a map of Raccoon City that implied that you could plot your own route.

That would have added a lot. The (remake) game needs something like that.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

RE3 would have been the perfect game for that kind of gameplay too, since the story is centered around Jill and Nemesis, not any location more specific than Raccoon City itself. Like, any game set in the city with Nemesis chasing Jill would be an RE3 in my book, even if the only commonality between them otherwise was the game starting in/around Jill's apartment.

If you absolutely have to preserve canon or whatever, then I guess the vaccine thing is important too, but even that doesn't have to include any specific location. The standard hospital location could just be one of many, with alternatives being picking up vaccines from doomed Umbrella scientists who get killed by Nikolai or whatever.

^^^What that dude said^^^

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Danknificent posted:

Anyway, the beefs with R3make are never "R3make is bad" they are "R3make is not what I wanted it to be" and those are two different things however often people treat them the same on the internet

I think the complaints about it's linearity, removed content and length are fair.

And this is coming from someone who liked it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't remember what everyone really hated about CV. I recall having fun with it but it's been forever and only thing I remember from it is the spider under the ice. Beyond that, I don't remember a god damned thing about that game except for having fun with it at the time.

Could also be that I was one of the few dummies who bought a Sega Saturn and was just psyched to have a new game to play that wasn't Virtual FIghter, NFL 2k or Crazy Taxi.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Humble Bundle is doing exactly that and the deluxe edition is $7.49 so I have the whole game now!

RE7 is very very gross, just walking around the environments is unsettling. It's so good

Yeah but that food they were whipping up sure looked tasty. Thank god VR doesn't let you smell a video game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So do we know for sure one way or the other if RE8 is coming to PS4 or Xbone? I've heard different things both ways. I can't imagine we're living in a world where the new consoles will fly off the shelves since most everyone I know is broke as poo poo but what to do I know? People still camp out at midnight to buy new iphones every year. But I'd think that Capcom would want to move as many copies as possible and the current gen has a lot of systems out there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There.

There wolf.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, I really hope RE8 comes out on Xbone/PS4.

Kind of jonesing for a new horror game and, of course, love the series. I fired up Alien: Isolation to get a good scare and got my son hooked on it and am about to replay EW2, which I only played once and remember loving to death since he's curious about that too.

What I'd really like is a new Fatal Frame game. Apparently there's one for the Wii, which seems like it'd be fun with that control scheme but I can't find it on Amazon.

What's the best of the on rails Wii RE shooter games? I see 2.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So holy poo poo I fired up EW2 for the first time in 4 years and honestly had forgotten everything about it beyond remembering it was awesome.

And I can confirm that it is in fact awesome.

I only beat it the one time and had a NG+ option but my kid wanted to see it so I just started a fresh game. I LOVE the open world town part of it and wish that RE3 had taken a page out of this approach. OPen world games are usually too time consuming and overwhelming for me but this game is masterful at creating the illusion of open world but cleverly restricting your map.

Really glad I loaded this one back up but honestly forgot some of the more graphic and intense parts so I'm a little hesitant to expose my 10 year old son to some of it. The mother force feeding his dead kid spooked him pretty good (me as well) so we'll have to see if I'm brushing up too close age appropriateness here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, Evil Within 2 kicks rear end.

I forgot how great it was and after loving around on a brand new game through around Chapter 3 I loaded up NG+ and got some satisfaction finally wrecking some motherfuckers instead of hiding all the time. I LOVE the open game approach that's not linear but just the right size. It never feels overwhelming and manages to come off free and open even though it's really not.

I'd forgotten just enough about it after 3 or 4 years to make it fun again

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a good RE movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RE3make was good and fun.

It just lacked that addictive quality that made RE2 so compelling and, like everyone has said, was way too linear. I think I ran through it 2x and started a 3rd then that was enough but RE2 just kept pulling me back in. Every replay of RE3 was exactly the same it felt, only with more items. RE3 also never had me panicking to find ammo or health so it was less survival horror and more of an action game, which was a fun and a little cathartic being able to actually gently caress poo poo up after 20 hours of shooting zombies in the knees, running and memorizing routes in RE2 but the game just doesn't call out to you to play it more after the first run.

I recently fired up EW2 again and that's been hitting the sweet spot for me, reminding me of how much better re3 would have been with slightly more varied open city parts and different ways to do things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

site posted:

Umbrella chronicles is the good one

OK, so I took your advice and grabbed this sucker along with the gun controller thingy and it's good fun but playing on easy I think and....

Jesus Christ. How the gently caress do I kill this scorpion motherfucker only 10 minutes in? None of the dodge prompts seem to work with any consistency, especially the wave the wii one, and gently caress me if I can throw a grenade even though (I think) the game is telling me I have 4 of them. Good lord with this boss fight. If the whole game is this flaky and hard it can get right hosed.

EDIT:

OK tossed some grenades but the dodge controls are still a bit...well, dodgy.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 28, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, Site steered me wrong then. drat you, SIte.

It's fun but this scorpion crab thing can go get hosed and the dodge commands not working is really messing me over. I got House of the Dead 1 and 2 for his birthday coming up in February so maybe that'll be more fair.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I feel you could make an entire game stemming from Resident Evil's item-shop.

You play through the game once, you get a lame ending. But your character gets to relive events in-universe, and hitting important milestones nets you currency. You buy items in the shop for the next run and try changing events, like getting bolt cutters early to unlock an entirely different path.

Isn't that what RE3make tried to do?

Also, just beat EW2 for the second time and holy poo poo is that game the poo poo. Torn right now on whether to hit a NG+ on that one or break out RE7 again since I've forgotten so much about it. The idea of doing EW2 new but with some actual firepower is tempting.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 3, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rumors I keep hearing say that XB1 and PS4 are a go for RE8.

I loving hope so since I need a new scary game and this looks bad rear end. Since I'm done with my EW2 second run, I'm gonna try Dead Space 2 since the thread recommended it and my kid wants it for his birthday.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

4 years removed from my first play through and RE7 owns.

I can't believe I never figured out how to load enhanced ammo, use the psycho stimulants and BLOCK though. The latter made that nasty loving Jack body bag boss fight so much easier. I must have died 15 times there the first time I played it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

I'm playing it again with my friend and I can't remember if it has adaptive difficulty or not, but walking past all enemies without getting hit and then getting to a boss I have ended up using literally all my ammo and finishing with knife attacks now more than once. Still a whole lot of fun though!

I'm not that far in on my replay but 90% of it has been hiding from everything. The Jack Body Bag fight and the molded was the only thing that used up my ammo so far. I don't know I how I beat this game the first time completely forgetting I can block.

Speaking of that...

Since I beat the game once (I think that's why), I now have a scroll in my inventory that is some Ancient Chinese Secret blocking ability. I assume I need it on me for it to work? Also, this gun I have...I think it's new and it seems more powerful but only holds 3 bullets. I'd like to ditch a gun to free up some space now that I got the shotgun but there's no menu that stat out the weapons.

Suggestions?

Edit: Never mind. Google exists

E2:

Christ, I even forgot how to shuffle poo poo around in my inventory and assign weapon dpad shortcuts. Forgot you can add chemicals to bullets to make enhanced ammo too.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 20, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Still no word on if this is coming to PS4 or Xbone? I'm not buying a new console anytime soon so if not I guess I'll weigh in on it in 2 years or so.

Save my spot, Resident Evil thread.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

acksplode posted:

The showcase today confirmed that PS4 and Xbone get RE8 the same day as PS5 and Series

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah its coming to ps4 and xbone day and date as the ps5 version, just demo is ps5 exclusive for now.

Oh, thank you Capcom! Woo-hooo!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Augus posted:

smol Jill has a menacing aura

Is RE multiplayer designed around fighting...each other? What the hell for?

Also, I hope they do more with RE4make than just bump up the graphics and manage to throw some surprises in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Please don't majorly rework Ashley, she was notable for the time for being an escort NPC that very intelligently got the hell out of your way and avoided danger instead of randomly triggering game overs like the trope was known for.

Truth. Ashley is the only escort mission mechanic I can ever recall tolerating at all, let alone actually enjoying. Protecting her was actually fun.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

As long as there's a giant Mecha-Salazar chasing me down the hallway I'll be happy

This guy knows what's up

man nurse posted:

RE 4 is so perfect as is that if they absolutely have to remake it, I’d hope it’s be more of a complete reimagining so that it could be its own thing.

I think they almost have to. I've been playing the Wii version and the game still holds up as is. Just shoving it into the new engine isn't really going add that much. You'd have to change the layout and enemy placement/variety entirely to get me interested at all in a remake.