Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm having a pretty hard time telling if I'm going to have a problem with the same things the reviewers are, because those hating it are mostly going BAD BAD BAD I HATE IT, rather than giving me stuff to analyze if it will fit my own tastes.

I suspect it will be the type of game I like, but "THE WHOLE THING IS A MESS" and "BOSSES ARE BAD" aren't helpful, reviewer guys.

edit:

quote:

Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie. There's really no more polite a way to put it. Stuffed to the gills with bombastic action segments, car chases, and relentless chaos, Capcom has abandoned any pretense of the survival horror genre and embraced a world of skin-deep Hollywood audacity. Listlessly wallowing in the depthless waters of homogeneity, Resident Evil 6 is a coward of a game, afraid to make its own individual mark in the industry and cravenly subscribing itself to every overplayed trope in the book.

This is what I am looking for in a game where my favorite part of the last game was punching a boulder in a volcano.

He starts his review:

quote:

When you first start playing Resident Evil 6, it looks like it might almost be a joke, perhaps a stealthy parody of big-budget action videogames.
This is exactly what I thought the game was. Is there any reason to believe that RE5 and 6 aren't basically parodies of big dumb action movies?

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Adrastus posted:

The vast majority of the reviews are positive though? I mean, aside from Kevin VanOrd of Gamespot, who I suspect will be getting a new job soon at giantbomb; Jim Sterling of Destrutoid, who nobody takes seriously and Eurogamer; everyone else gave it scores that hover around 7~9/10. The negative reviews are merely a few outliers.

The gamespot review calls it a "caricature" as well. Which I think is the point? Do people not honestly think that RE5 was filled with parody?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Pickled Kittens posted:

If you think RE5 was funny in any way, you need to play 4RE. It, unlike RE5, is both funny and a fun game; both qualities lacking in 5.

Actually RE5 is basically one of my favorite games of all time and is really good, although it suffers if you don't play it co-op (play it co-op).

edit: Yes, you can parody a thing by doing it, as long as your gameplay is still fun. While some reviewers seem to think that this is not true of RE6, the spread on reviews is so large that I'll have to play it myself to see.

edit: Also, on second thought, what the hell was funny about RE4?

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 1, 2012

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

In It For The Tank posted:

TCH THAT'S A MOUTHFUL

HASTA LUEGO

YOUR RIGHT HAND COMES OFF?

...STORY OF MY LIFE

I mean, Saddler was always laughing. Or at least chuckling smugly.

Ah, so bad dialogue THEN was funny, but NOW its bad. Got it.

(not blaming you specifically)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crappy Jack posted:

Leon's love of terrible puns, the fact that at one point you outrun a giant statue of a dwarf dressed like Napoleon, stuff like that. RE4 was way more obvious about how tongue-in-cheek it was; it had a tone more akin to a Sci-Fi Channel Original Movie and embraces its B-movieness, whereas I felt like RE5 was trying a bit too hard to have its cake and eat it too.

Boulder punching in a volcano.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Wanderer posted:

I'd imagine with most of those people you mention, when they say "it ruined the story," what they mean is "Wesker died." That slicked-back douchecannon commands a greater share of fangirl adulation than I care to consciously acknowledge.
You mean "he turned into a lava monster probably".

Because that's what I assume happened.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Dark Id posted:

Yeah that too. I'm not sure what mongoloid on Capcom's staff decided to set all the defaults on the most awful first impression setting possible, but I hope a zombie repeatedly beats them in the face with the business end of a pipe.

I'm always weirded out when I play a game and the default settings are freakishly worse than one of the other options.

Also, wasn't it RE5 that defaults to "Control Type D"?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

NESguerilla posted:

It's funny. I remember after RE5 I heard they were rebooting it an thought "Oh thank god, they are going shift it back to horror."
Just play Dead Space RE5 isn't horror anymore and that's OK.

Seriously, you people would have flipped out when Aliens was released.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Something is wrong with the brightness thing at the start. Ignore it, leave the brightness near the middle. I literally couldn't make the 6 disappear.

RE6's main problem is that it doesn't teach you how to play it. At all. Once you know the rules, game owns.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

NESguerilla posted:

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, but I couldn't even get past the 2 hour mark. I really wanted to enjoy it but its just so thoroughly unfun to me in literally every way I don't even want to keep the rental an extra day. What a mess.

The more people are posting about it (and I play it), the more it seems that the primary problem with Resident Evil 6 are based around the designers saying "why should I have to explain it? They'll figure it out."

The controls in the opening tell you absolutely nothing. I had completed 2 chapters of Chris's campaign before I knew about sliding. The herb walkthrough made no sense, because it was just instructions without any context.

Basically, the game is pretty good if you understand how to play it - and, honestly, it's not your fault for not understanding it! It's the games fault! But this doesn't mean that a fun experience isn't there to be found.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Jimbot posted:

Oh and the merchants are back and the inventory is the same as Resident Evil 4's.
You're not going to get this while the series has a heavy co-op focus. While trying to fit as many fish as possible into your briefcase is fun in RE4, what isn't fun is trying to play the game online in co-op while waiting for your partner to arrange fish inside of their briefcase while you're waiting on zombies.

Annoying dumb thing: On 360, both accounts have to be gold accounts if you play connected to Xbox live, because of the random cross-campaign sections.

edit: RE6 HAS quality control, but it simply needs a significant pass to teach you how to play it. The worst part of the game is the opening tutorial, because it doesn't teach you ANYTHING. Valve-style "Bring in strangers of the street and see where they get confused" testing would have done wonders.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I thought Piers was lame but I beat Chris's campaign and OH BOY.

Not only did he get LIGHTNING ARM, he died off camera. See you in RE7, Piers!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The driving section was fine when you're on the freeway. It's boring as hell, yeah. But at least it's not as bad as it is when you get to the parking garage. Once you're inside the garage, it's dark as hell in there and you can't see where you're going so you just drive into areas of blackness and hope for the best. Sometimes you'll hit a wall and other times you'll get where you're supposed to be going :ughh:

That was one of the worst-designed sections of any video game in recent memory.

RE6 is completely, completely wrong about what brightness your TV should be set at. I literally couldn't get it dark enough to make the 6 disappear, and the game was nearly unplayable.

I did not like Leon chapter 2 and 3 very much - zombies are pretty repetitive, and they kept splitting us up in ways where one player had nothing to do while split up. Chapter 4 was absolutely excellent, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ryaomon posted:

You're in the Resident Evil thread, people are going to disagree with your opinion no matter what unless it's unconditional praise for the games. A guy just asked if he should get ORC, one of the worst games I've ever played, and got a yes in return. That's why asking to get a game from a thread for that specific game is a bad idea as well.

It's almost like games aren't objectively good or bad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fraction posted:

I found that pretty dumb and cheap, to be honest. I know it's common for RE to have nigh on unkillable (at least at first) bosses but having a bunch in a single game just stank of laziness.

If there's one thing you can't accuse RE6 of being, it's lazy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Miracle posted:

So is there a thing with serpent emblems not being counted? I've shot the 3rd one in chapter 4 of Leon's campaign 3 times now and it still doesn't show up in Collections. It's after the plane crash, immediately after you meet the regenerating monster down a hallway to the right for reference or to make sure I'm talking about the right one

There are two of them in that section of the map, and you're shooting the one the game considers #4, although it is way more likely that you'd find that one before #3.

I made the same mistake because Games Radar's guide lists them in the wrong order.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Semiru posted:

Holy poo poo playing as the dogs in agent hunt are the loving worst. Worse tank controls than the first RE, holy poo poo.

This is the most wrong post. Dog is literally the most fun zombie type to be.

All Agent Hunt levels have your controls significantly nerfed, because they have to do SOMETHING so that you don't easily overpower the players. The dog has to be running to turn effectively. Once you get good at it, you're almost impossible to hit and you get to eat faces.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Since RE5 Gold is going free for PSN Plus, anything I should know tipwise? Ill be playing most of the time with a coop buddy.

Unlike most games, the optimal place to shoot most enemies in RE5 is the leg. Shoot the leg, then melee.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Krad posted:

I blame it on the multiple campaigns design decision. I never had any trouble finding people to play with back in RE5. :(

If it was one campaign but three times as long it would be exactly as difficult to match up with somebody.

Also I wish Capcom had split the game into smaller chunks.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Spermando posted:

There are entire sections in this game, including boss fights, which you can beat without touching the controller, yet the game compells you to waste your bullets.
Which fights are you talking about?

quote:

There are other major things like not changing the enemy AI when you're dying (in RE5 the enemies would stop attacking for a few seconds)
Why is this objectively better.

quote:

and the removal of upgrades and unlockables, killing the replay value (who gives a poo poo about skills and medals).
I prefer upgrades, but I also like medals?

quote:

As much as I was looking forward to this, I have to say the game design is dogshit in comparison to RE5.
It's almost like many of these things are subjective.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

charismaslover posted:

A bit disappointing, I just want the weapon upgrading system back from 4 and 5 and ditch the skill point system entirely.
I think the whole point of what they were going for was "not breaking up the game, and not making one player wait on the other one while online".

I don't think it's as fun, either, but I'm pretty sure I get why they did it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Alteisen posted:

Do people actually get kills in agent hunt? Seems you'd have to be retarded to die to the monsters in this game.
As long as you don't get matched up on the easiest difficulty, I was getting kills more often than not. Some monsters are really good for it, some aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

LibbyM posted:

This isn't going to be a new revelation to anyone else, but I just wanted to voice how insanely stupid it is that when playing Ada's chapter in RE6, player 2 can pretty much not interact with anything. Already there's been a puzzle that involved looking through something to see a painting, and player 2 wasn't even allowed to look at the painting, little lone press the switches.
Maybe you aren't aware, but that section originally did not have co-op as on option at release. They went back in and added it because of player complaints. The reason the co-op is poorly implemented is because that part of the game was never supposed to have co-op.