Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did I just get twisted like a pretzel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How messy is multiplayer anyway? Lot of the stages look as if they're designed for one person only.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What's the 360 port of RE4 like anyway? Worth the money, or is it just a cheap money grab?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well that's a shame to hear! Nonetheless, what content does it come with compared to - say - the Gamecube version? Playing Revelations has made me want to play RE4 again (RE5 was fun but only in coop, and RE6 was...well, RE6), big time, but I no longer have the ol' trusty console lying around.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, looks like I'm down another fifteen quid then! Incidentally, the overcharge/burst thing in Revelations Raid Mode. I seemed to have success with it in singleplayer but I'm not sure if the faffing around and extra vulnerability is worth the increase in damage. Just how large an increase is it?

e; that feeling when you do a perfect run in a Raid mission, feel smug as you watch the ineffectual corpse of a Scagdead fade away only to get blindsided by an Ooze and lose your trinity bonus. :byodood:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 28, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sylphid posted:

Reminds me of some of their banter in Lost in Nightmares. From commenting about Spencer's obsession with cranks, talking about getting older since Raccoon, and Chris joking about never getting lucky in regards to not running into mutants. They've both been around the block more than a few times.

Jill's hilarious around Parker due to stuff like this.

"Jill, are you OK? You're running in circles!"

"Eh, this job is like that."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just hit level 12 in Raid mode 9I know I know...) and man it's starting to hit me just how much stuff there is to do in Revelations. I much prefer Raid mode over Mercenaries (although I still want my attache case back!) and this leveling stuff is enormously compelling. Now to go shoot some more dudes with my golden AK-47. :getin:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PureRok posted:

You playing the PC version?

Yeah, Steam name's the same as here. :)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can daze Oozes by shooting both arms. This changes everything. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

limited posted:

Another fun thing. You can daze them with a pistol/SMG/whatever then if you blast the leech-thing hanging out their mouth with it's a guaranteed critical. Quickswap to your rifle or magnum and enjoy big orange numbers. On a venting tangent, gently caress those spike-shooting tricorn bastards. Ruining so many of my no-hit runs. :argh:

For me it's the little pirahna fish dudes. I always end up getting swarmed and taking enough damage to deprive me of an S rank. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I'd forgotten how just well done Resident Evil 4 is. The game increases its stranglehold on you at a gradual but manageable pace, you get a controllable influx of new weapons and items without feeling overwhelmed or started, the difficulty jumps up in a predictable but nonetheless challenge manner, etc etc. This is why I spent so many hours on my Gamecube version. :allears:

Kind of sad how rough RE5 and RE6 felt around the edges though. Did they shift development teams or was RE4 just a lightning strike?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

What do you mean? 4 was all about melee. You had knife-fights with a dude with a blade-arm and everything. That was honestly one of the things I liked most about RE4. You spent all day going around kicking dudes in the face or leaping onto a boss's back to stab them to death.

Not going to speak for the other guy, but for me melee in RE4 was a happy byproduct of the games and means to give yourself some breathing room. In RE6 it feels like there's a lot more emphasis on punching over shooting which I'm not particularly a fan of. I still haven't quite "got" 6's mechanics and what you're meant to be playing it like, so weh weh.

Also holy poo poo I am terrible at getting back into 4. Six deaths on the second El Gigante. :laffo:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 4, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Like I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here but RE4 is seriously designed around the melee. If you're not using it then you're gimping yourself for no reason and not taking advantage of a lot of the game's mechanics.

Woah woah, easy there tiger. I use it, I think we might just have different definitions of "byproduct" here. :v:

And limited, thanks for pointing out that LP. I'll sit down and watch a few chapters, see if things click for me - the only campaign I completed was Jake's and that was on Easy with quite a sloppy record. I am not the best RE player in the world. :downs:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, in RE4 the "shoot stuff then punch it in the face" approach seems to work. In RE6 it...doesn't. Hence the :downs: with me and the game.

But yeah, I'm watching the LP limited linked above and Chris' chapter is absolutely mental. He's running between guys and smashing them in the teeth, then effortlessly countering anything that strikes back. In my game I run up to something and clumsily kick it, then get promptly sliced in half by the counter-attack they do because I'm then out of stamina. Gaaaah. I'll give it another shot at some point, see if these videos are teaching me anything.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lunethex posted:

At least my LP is accomplishing the thing I set out to do with it: show that the game is indeed possible, not badly designed and lovely like a lot of reviews wanted to claim, and allows you to perform great things! :allears:

I just get frustrated with it too easily, I guess. Had huge amounts of fun with RE4, laughed myself silly with the amount of stuff I did in RE5 and then suddenly in RE6 I'm brought back down to earth with something that feels really clumsy and limited and oh god why are you giving me guns if shooting them is counter-productive. The LP's great; it's dispelling my issues with the game but I think I might have to just tell myself I'm not going to have that sort of rhythm in my own playthrough. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Captain Swing posted:

Just like mom used to make.

:stare: what death scene is that

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

real talk: It's about time Chris Redfield came out of the closet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wamdoodle posted:

I like how the Ustanak doesn't struggle once he's in the headlock. Kind of like he's thinking, "Ok, where's he going with this?"

Dude's clearly bracing himself and then in shock when Jake lifts the multi-ton monster off the loving floor. Don't tell me you'd be lucid in that situation. :colbert:

gently caress, these gifs make me sad I can't play RE6 properly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

One of the advantages to having a franchise that's focused around normal people is that they can easily adjust the "power level" just by changing up the environment to not allow for easy access to weaponry. RE4 through RE6 would be nightmarishly difficult if enemies didn't drop ammunition.

Set it in England, job done. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just want another game focused around the Wolfpack. I like being a faceless goon for Umbrella, being in it only for the money. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd have loved something which just gives us the entire goddamn city to explore and pootle about doing objectives. Operation Raccoon City should have been semi-sandbox where you carry out missions for equipment, upgrades and survival gear. :colbert:

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I kind of like being a faceless goon too. Don't know what it is--call it the Master Chief effect--but it's easier for me to put myself in the shoes of someone whose face I can't see.

:respek: faceless goons unite.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Umbrella were creating stuff like that to sell off as weapons, right?

And Nthing the love for RE4. It's one of the few games where I can't recall any particularly dull section - the game is tuned to drat near perfection. It all gets more intense and nuanced just the right amount, escalating to keep roughly even with the player's skill and equipment. I need to put aside some time and play through it again at some point.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PC RE4 is basically The Definitive Edition, right?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Where are you all going? Bingo?"

Oh RE4, I missed you too. :allears:

Is the RE5 multiplayer community still active this close to the shutdown of GFWL? I'm wondering if I should shoot through it after RE4, or just stick to my usual slow crawl approach with singleplayer. I just hate Sheva's AI.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, Krauser was winning that fight until Ada intervened...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That ladder, man. You know the one I mean.

F3AR had a similar one which could happen at random. It happened to me during co-op, around midnight, when I'd switched off all the lights and turned up my sound. My co-op buddy was pissing herself with laughter as all she said was me screaming oval office again and again, jumping back from the monitor. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

I'm not really sure how dramatic RE can be when the bad guys plaster their logo all over everything.

It'll be like House where they always think it's Umbrella, but it never actually is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still love that Mr.X was a perfect, marketable bioweapon...who only went crazy in Outbreak because he was absolutely sick of the poo poo he got from the guy holding his suicide detonator.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Suicide detonator? Man I really need to brush up on my RE lore.

Well, a bomb at any rate! The Mr.X in Outbreak had a bomb implanted in him that could be detonated if he went out of control. Unfortunately, the dickhead engineer holding the detonator waves it around a lot while bragging about the control he has - and Mr.X is smart enough to make a connection...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On the effectiveness of BOWs, one sequence that jumps out at me was the 'good guy' sequence in ORC where you're fighting against Umbrella troops supporting a Nemesis. At that point you can definitely see the potential they're working with, as the loving thing can shrug off an ungodly amount of pain, regenerate damaged tissue and wield weapons that are normally attached to a heavy vehicle. While deadly on its own the real danger comes from its support crew - focus on the Nemesis and you're largely wasting bullets but letting its other troops get into position and hose you down, but focus on the regular soldiers and Nemmy's free to destroy basically everything in the universe without getting bogged down in lead.

On an individual basis the weapons don't seem so great, but yeah; supplemented by humans and 'normal' tactics I can see why people might pay for these things.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who did not poo poo themselves the first time he jumped through a window and took aim with a rocket launcher is lying. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

Then he loving dashed at me and I lost my drat mind.

Haha, yeah. I fought him the first time because he looked slow and cumbersome, but nearly goddamn screamed myself to death when I fought him in the corridor. Enemies aren't meant to run in that franchise! It wasn't natural!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Policenaut posted:

I'll post the one with Claire and Barry Burton's kid.

Totally misread this and thought you meant Claire had a kid with Barry.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

How is it that I got to the end of the thread and nobody said Moira looks like Ellie?

Looks like a fairly generic young girl protagonist.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd be all over Resident Evil with super powers. Survival horror...reborn. :getin:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Steam version is pretty much the definitive version, minus Wii controls.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They probably mean the Jill Sandwich bit, rather than controlling Barry directly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Dark Id posted:

It's also possibly to make Barry show up for Plant 42 and roast it with a flamethrower like a badass.

Wait, what? How?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What triggered Rebecca getting killed by the hunter? I remember being sat there completely :stare: the first time I saw one take a swipe and slice her head off in the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

As for nothing inherently being wrong with tank controls, the human body does not work that way.

I'm still trying to understand this.