Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Barudak posted:

I still cant believe the catacomb boss and sister to Helena just stays dead in Re6. Like that was the single most surprising plot development.

I felt like it worked in Dead Rising because it was a deeply stupid game with a veneer of grimness so of course thats how Zombies get in the mall.

To be fair, they were already in the rest of the mall, the lady only let them break the barricade into that part of the plaza.

Dead Rising is really goofy but it's definitely not dumb like Resident Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
If they do remake RE3 and do have Jill go to the RPD again, I really hope they keep in the inconsistency where Nemesis smashes through the window in the dark room hallway only for it to still be intact later in RE2. It adds to the mythology.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still not seeing what makes this a reference? Dumdum bullets are a real thing.

You use this word, dum dums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYg_Hqq3ApI&t=172s

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
If I remember right you don't find regular handgun ammo in 2nd Run, only ammo for the Quickdraw, so both the other pistols can be ignored entirely.

e: Until you get the magnum upgrade of course.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Imagine my surprise today, after buying Umbrella Corps on sale for fivebux, realizing that not only is it not Operation Raccoon City, but also that Capcom somehow released two crappy resident evil multiplayer shooters. And only 4 years apart!

Why was this game even made?

I only bought it because I wanted to kill Leon

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
It'd be like Gun Survivor with a black screen instead of world geometry and a better story.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Everything before RE4 was a b-movie sci-fi conspiracy thriller, everything after RE4 was an anime about bio-terrorism. Code Veronica was both. RE4 was a remake of 1985's Commando.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Speaking of Hunters, I hope they keep RE2make's Lickers around in 3make. Their function was basically replaced by two kinds of Hunter (and the Brainsucker/Drain Deimos) in the original but I think their updated version stands apart from the pack now. Imagine a Hunter busting through a door after you while you're busy sneaking by a Licker. It's like when X walks in on you but with lower stakes/no invincible wall pushing you.

I also hope Nemesis will occasionally go apeshit on the other monsters too, mostly because X's interaction starts and ends with him shoving zombies out of the way. I sort of remember a Mercenaries video where someone baited two Nemeses into KO'ing each other with their missed punches and that's a dope mechanic. Infighting would definitely go a long way to sell how dangerous he is and what a chaotic hellscape the city has become.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Aside from Kimono Man of Leeches and the general train segment, I don't remember a goddamned thing about 0, and I beat it.

Same here. I remember there's a part where you fight a Tyrant in RE2's lab. 18 years later that poo poo still doesn't make sense to me. Nothing in that game did though.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

JILL, RACCOON CITY WILL BE NUKED IN EXACTLY 2m3s, YOU HAVE TO DASH THROUGH THIS FINAL GAUNTLET OF BULLSHIT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664T5ScFabk

Fixed that link for you.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I finally started playing RE6 after buying it about three years ago. The contrast between Leon's Tall Oak stuff and RE2make is amazing considering its the same scenario on paper. Here, zombies are running and jumping, they're shooting guns and swinging axes, I'm doing elbow drops and spin kicks and face busters, I'm diving and rolling around like a maniac. I finally understand all the jokes about how Leon crashes every vehicle he's in. It's total nonstop insanity and I'm only a few chapters in. If this was the first RE game I played after 5 I probably would've been pissed along with everyone else, but now it's a fun action game that's incredibly stupid and kitschy.

Shout out to the BSAA dude in the prologue who jumped out of the helicopter to help out, that Leon and Helena happily leave behind to get consumed by a fireball while they jump into the helicopter and immediately crash it.

Anyways, while sprinting down subway tracks and dodging high speed trains I realized I absolutely won't mind 3make being only 5 hours long if it's 5 more hours of RE2make gameplay and not this poo poo.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
The Beta Hunters and the Nest 2 aesthetic in RE3 made me hopeful for a Dino Crisis reboot. Not the first Dino Crisis, but it's insane time travel sequel with the score attack system.

I want to fight a photo-realistic Giganotosaurus in a nuclear silo, goddamnit.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
After they finish rebooting Dino Crisis 2, Capcom should throw another curve ball and remake RE4 and CV as the same game.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Alright I figured it out.

REm4ke, play it straight until you get to the castle. Then, you find the castle is a front Umbrella used to research Las Plagas, but is now run by the cult. Then you get to the island and bam the island segment is the remake of Code Veronica. Cut out Antartica entirely. RE2make Claire and Leon reunite. Alexia awakens and takes control of the Plagas. She kills off Saddler because he's small time. Wesker and RE7 Chris show up and Chris gets his rear end kicked. There's a self-destruct sequence and jet skis. The remnants of Umbrella are destroyed and we are left wondering if Jill will ever get another main game again.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
The later parts of the Castle and most of the Island segment always get jumbled in my memory. Hell, I don't remember what the island was supposed to be. The Castle/Village relationship is pretty well established but then you kinda just gently caress off in a boat to an island. Is it an abandoned military base the cult took over? Is it on a lake or in the ocean? I just remember Leon riding up to it and looking at Ada's rear end.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

The RE3 remake is the Resident Evil game for people who really, really liked the movies.

3make is an adaptation of Jill's intro scene in the second movie.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I keep seeing ads for the new new Resident Evil show or movie and I need to vent stuff here I would never admit to thinking in the public eye of facebook.

Resident Evil 1-3 were games in an era where "just like a movie!" was the goal and being more cinematic was a technological frontier. The very first game is exactly what a Resident Evil movie should be like, because it is basically the movie. If you trimmed the game fat you'd have a story about 2-4 cops lost in a haunted trap mansion that turns out to be hiding a mad science laboratory, and their captain is the bad guy in on it the whole time. There's a big action scene at the end. They even set up all the camera angles, the sets, the side characters, it's all there like a blueprint.

It's bizarre that there's been no decent RE film adaptation when there's such solid groundwork for it from day one.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I did my annual replay of RE2make and decided to keep it going and replay 3make for the first time since release. 3 hour 20 minute clear time with messing around. But goddamn it was a really fun and engaging three hours. RE2 is a spooky funhouse but 3 is a goddamn rollercoaster. The breakneck pacing through different set pieces meshes so well with the "It's MY turn, bitch" version of Jill. I love that her and Nemesis are basically equally matched through every confrontation.

For $60 though there was definitely a missing hour between the train leaving and the hospital segment. I don't specifically care about the clocktower/park segment from the original, but another city sandbox area would've been nice. And Mercenaries mode. The original invented it for the series but I guess we needed another RE PVP game instead.

The last third of RE5 is the fun part, mostly because you get to dunk on Wesker repeatedly. "I've had ENOUGH of your BULLSHIT."

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

The games are considered, like, "tales" of what really happend.

The campfire story aspect of the original trilogy is my favorite part. For example, Leon and Claire both find an intact window in the hall outside the RPD dark room. However, we later see that a day earlier, Nemesis smashed through this window to ambush Jill. Six completely different stories bring Leon, Claire, Hunk, and Jill past that window, but Nemesis smashes through it because it's scary and unexpected. These stories are as consistent as recounted nightmares.

On top of that, Raccoon City is clearly designed like a Japanese city with an American coat of paint, so it adds to the uncanny nature of it all.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
A real good RETV show would have four episodes with a male protagonist, four with a female protagonist, that largely follow the same story with different beats and completely contradict each other. We don't find out what REALLY happened until a still slide with narration at the start of the next season.

The fourth season is just a remake of Commando.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

just a developer talking about it, nothing really new to see :(

When he said it was getting a PS4 release me and my bank account did the handshake from Predator.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

worms butthole guy posted:

I think my favorite parts of RE are when it's linear and you get to shoot zombies.

I might finish RE3R next possibly - I played it last week up to the first Nemesis fight and pauses it but haven't picked it back up.

3remake lasts about four hours total, but it keeps gaining momentum as it goes. It leans hard into the shooting from midgame onward, everything is fast set pieces with new enemies and cool guns. I'd definitely finish it before taking on the much longer RE4.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I haven't played a PC game since Morrowind and Half-Life were new, but my glorious wife has gifted us a pair of Steamdecks for Christmas. I got stars in my eyes thinking of RE2 Remake with mods. I wanted to ask here first before I buy it, because you guys are the experts-

I'm basically technology illiterate but I did manage to open the Steamdeck desktop and download this mod. If I downloaded RE2 on the deck how would I go about installing this? Do I just extract the .rar into the game directory? Or is it more elaborate than that?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I'm still holding out hope that the Island section of RE4make is a stealth remake of Code Veronica.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Will the Resident Evil 4 remake on PS4 have any sort of online play? I haven't played an RE game since the original 4 on PS2 and I don't have any idea if the newer games can be played online. But it would be cool to play co-op online as Leon, Ada and Krauser etc.

RE5, 6, and RE Revelations 2 are all on PS4 and built around being played co-op. They're similar to RE4 too.

The newer stuff since RE7 though, I don't think there's any. RE3 Remake had an asymmetrical pvp multiplayer that I never played.

Mantis42 posted:

Code Veronica

e: Also it kind of feels like not much was accomplished in this game. Claire was trying to find her brother and it turns out he was just someplace else. There's an insane Umbrella Corp type who needs to be taken down but that's always the case. Kind of a step down from the two Raccoon City games. I don't blame them for making this a side game, Nemesis a better trilogy capper than this.

The game has too much goddamn plot. It introduces Spencer as the evil genius madman who wants to take over the world, his buddy Ashford, his evil kids, another variant of the T-Virus, the concept of Umbrella having a secret holocaust prison island, and an Antarctic base, and Wesker's back because of a virus, and he planned this all along and he has superpowers because of the virus, and he's working for some other organization, and Alexia can control tentacles and bugs with telepathic virus magic. It's way too much poo poo that gets no room to breathe. The REmake and 0 went back and rewrote history to fit this poo poo in. The story got stupid here.

RE1-3 was a good story about a disastrous attempt by a morally bankrupt corporation to cover up a chemical spill.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 29, 2023

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

None of that expanded backstory for Spencer ends up mattering anyways bc Umbrella was destroyed off screen between CV and 4.

They immediately bring it back at the end of 4 with Wesker saying "Umbrella's one step closer to re-establishment" (I just looked this up) In 5, Chris wipes the dust off an old logo and it's a big plot point that Umbrella found a flower in a cave, and Spencer made a bunch of Weskers. 6 has Neo-Umbrella. 7 has Blue Umbrella. 8 shows you Spencer got the idea for Umbrella from the village from that very game. There's also Umbrella Chronicles and Umbrella Corps.

They absolutely cannot let Umbrella go.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Jill goes on twitter to tell the public a pharmaceutical corporation is up to no good, gets branded an alt right domestic terrorist and banned from social media.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I preordered RE4 deluxe for the bonus costumes without looking up what the costumes were, but now that I have seen them I see I made a wise investment. Would've paid ten extra bucks for Romantic Leon alone. Resident Evil 4: The Witcher.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
There was some rocket launcher and Commando talk happening earlier in this thread and I grabbed some screens just to clear things up.

The Infinity Launcher in RE2 Remake is the the rocket from the original version.

The Launcher you get during Leon's boss fight is the four barrelled launcher from the first game. This is because the fight itself is a remake of the final fight with Tyrant on the helipad from the original.

Leon's darker shirt and vest silhouette is also reminiscent of his appearance at the end of RE4. I'm not sure if that's deliberate, but RE4 is a remake of Commando so it all ties back together.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I gotta say my one disappointment with the RE4make is there's no RPD outfit like the original. They had two ultra turbo graphics versions from RE2 they could've recycled, and it baffles me that oven man made the cut but the OG alternate costume didn't.

I was a Gamecube child so the pinstripe outfit reignites the console war in my heart.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
First playthrough at launch, Standard mode. Terrifying and amazing. Haven't been so overcome with horror and awe since I played Bloodborne. Or maybe Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Second playthrough, Assisted. Wow you can just buy parts and print ammo. Missed 1 castle treasure and 2 bobbleheads in a run dedicated to getting them even though I followed a guide. Sold everything and just barely afforded the infinity launcher.

Third playthrough, Professional Rocket Blitz. Got to the castle in an hour. This is like a whole new game where I can point click delete anything including myself if they get too close. Died three times to Del Lago because they don't let you take the launcher out on the boat. Last left off at blowing up Ashley twice in a row in the hedge maze. Realizing I can probably just use another gun for that part.

Once I get the Hunk gas mask it's Pistols/Knives Out run to grab me those treasures. By then I'm hoping there's DLC and maybe some more Hunk content.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that aside from RE9, the redo I'd like to have is RE1 with the new camera angle and controls, a healthy mix of changing up the layout and a generous dose of moving around item and monster placement. To make it worth doing, I think you'd have to keep the core, classic elements of the game but also shuffle up and add a lot of stuff to make it fresh again.

Since I already know that Actual Good Game Design is in the REmake guys' toolkit, what I really want out of RE Engine REmake is for the house and labs to look like they've been abandoned for two months not two centuries. I'd also really love if they dialed back the goofy bullshit so that, for instance, the giant shark tank in the dormitory basement is just a large aquarium that broke and not an evil seaworld attraction.

They could do RE5 and CV as one Chris/Claire/Wesker game and cut out a lot of the poo poo bits. 2/3rds of RE5 is a goose chase to catch Irving that leads you through the dark continent stuff. I don't remember much of CV except it was just the RE formula spinning wheels before RE4 happened.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I have no idea what you mean with evil seaworld attraction. Like, what is the difference in your mind between what's in the game and an actual large aquarium?

In the original it was a simple glass tank housing zombie sharks. You find a note very early on that a researcher went mad and broke the tank. It means nothing until you enter the basement and it's flooded up to your waist and there are zombie sharks swimming around the room. It takes a minute to deal with. It's a classic RE gag along the lines of Oven Man or the double licker ambush in the RE2make lab.

In the REmake, it is a giant glass tube that has shattered and somehow flooded the entire room up to the catwalk circling it. The sharks are also bigger. It's a big set piece. Why is the room built like this? Why is there that much water? So you can get attacked by Jaws instead of a smaller shark, and panic while you run around to press buttons.

I realize my gripes are all about stylistic choices. I just like the original better, it feels more like a supernatural horror story where the twist is it's actually mad science. REmake has you collecting death masks to unleash count dracula in a(nother) hidden basement. It's too over the top, too busy. If they do REmake RE1 I just hope its more in line with the original vision than all this extra stuff they added.

To celebrate July 4th this morning I've finally finished my 4th RE4R run. Handguns/Knives only and perfect water-scooter challenges done. The American way.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I didn't realise that New Game+ let's you start with all your upgraded weapons, so I sold everything right before the Saddler fight in order to upgrade my magnum to full strength. Lucky I saved before the fight so I could go back, kick his rear end and have the Red 9 from the beginning.

It took until my third playthrough to realize there's a merchant right there behind you after Leon dives out of the hunter's lodge at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
CV, REmake, and Zero are a trilogy of equally bad games that took turns turning the RE lore into absolute garbage.

RE2make, 3make, and RE4R are their own separate REmake trilogy. In this story, we never see what "really happened" at the Spencer estate, or if RE1 even happened the same way at all. Consequently I don't know who this Wesker guy is except I searched his desk 50 times for a picture of someone named Rebecca.

I think the RE4R guys could remake any one of the games in this series and make it golden. They're really good at re-interpreting old ideas and adapting the source material.