Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If any of you are into randomizers, one of my friends released an alpha version of one today for REmake HD Remaster on PC. Currently you can only play as Chris on Normal to have it function, but he's planning to get the other difficulties and Jill playable in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Agoat posted:

Is he cool with people streaming this?

Feel free! Just make sure to send him any bug reports (and seed info) to his contact info on that page if something goes wrong.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Quick reminder that this game and the events within are canon:

This was my first Resident Evil game. I didn't know about or play any of the others until RE4 and REmake on the GameCube.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

-Crimson Heads are on a timer after death, they aren't triggered by events. If you're playing slowly you can get swarmed before getting to the second area.

Well...there is one event triggered Crimson Head in the hallway leading to the Armor Key room. It starts as a corpse, and will wake up at any point you cross its path after blowing the dog whistle regardless of how fast or slow you do so. If you know ahead of time, you can burn it preemptively.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

As funny as the video is, it's a shame it isn't possible to have happen in a normal game because that shutter doesn't open as Claire. The two Mr. Xs are because one is the S.T.A.R.S. hallway one in 2nd Play that is supposed to disappear when you go to the parking garage and the other is the one from the helicopter hallway that happens in all modes. By going through the shutter that Claire can't normally go through, the helicopter hallway one can get activated without despawning the S.T.A.R.S hallway one.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 2, 2019

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Something fun I just found out: Claire gets a grenade launcher in the labs in the room where you leave Sherry if you didn't grab the grenade launcher from the police station.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Basticle posted:

this seems like what you're after

I like how half the guide keeps accidentally referring to Claire as Jill :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

That was in the first RE game.

In order to knock the rust off my RE gaming skills I'm on baby mode. It says there is aim-assist, but I'm not seeing it. Not that it matters because zombies routinely can take 6+ head shots before dying which is :lol:

You can notice the aim assist if you plug a zombie once in the head and avoid moving your mouse/aiming joystick for a bit. Your reticle will start to slowly follow the zombie's head around (not perfectly, but enough to get repeated shots on target if you aren't so good at aiming).

It was a bit much for me when I tried out Assisted for a no item box run, but the game gives you the option to turn off auto-aim in the options if you prefer not to use it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

Can you use infinite weapons on carbon footprint runs? I feel like they’re tailor-made for that

You can. I got mine accidentally when I took the infinite rocket launcher for a spin through Leon B.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

On a related note, it's nice to go back to establishing Hunk as a badass because the player character is overwhelmed and underequipped in a really difficult scenario, rather than "he can pull off sick scripted punches" stuff from RE4 onward.

He's also still got the sick scripted stuff in a way. If you get tackled by two zombies as Claire or Leon, the animation has you push both of them off. If you get tackled as Hunk, he snaps the second one's neck on the way up.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, have fun with the gelatinous fucks, at least two of them are pretty easy but Tofu, Mochi and Annin can be a bitch, especially the former two.

I've been meaning to test out if you get a full heal after the Ada and Sherry parts but I'm not sure if you do. Ada I can see making sense, Sherry not so much.

You don't after Sherry for Claire. On my no healing items run I got hit by a licker into Danger in the parking garage area and had to limp through the entire remainder of the game.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

DLC explicitly said something along the lines of "playing as people who did not make it"

HUNK described as the 4th Survivor will never not bug me when Ada, Jill, and Carlos also made it out

Puns take precedence over accuracy.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Made it to Birkin #1on Leon A Standard at 35 minutes.

Am I on pace for an unlimited 9mm?

Yeah, you should be good. My rough pacing for S+ Hardcore A stories was roughly:
-00:30 G1
-1:00 electric pipes puzzle/sewer entrance
-1:30 G2/labs
-1:45 start G3
-1:55 finish

Add in 5-10 minutes if you want to get the Magnum, another 5-10 if you backtrack from the sewers for the Magnum upgrades.

I spend way too much time with looting poo poo and backtracking for the weapons/upgrades as well, so you can shave off more time if you know what you can deal without (weapon locker keypad keys are usually good to skip). The biggest thing is always quit to menu to load save after a death to avoid losing time.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Having gotten my Hardcore S+ with Leon 1st, what's the least painful route for an S+ Claire run? I would guess 1st again.

I'm missing like 1 file in the game and I haven't done the < 14k steps yet, but otherwise I'm essentially done after the aforementioned tasks. I'm kinda hoping for the RE7 treatment w/r/t DLCs, because I liked a few of those, but I'm not really sure what they'd be. And I know people have said there's no way, but a Mercenaries mode in this engine would rule and I'm here for it.

1st runs are better for the extra half hour and lack of a G5 fight unless you want the magnum/SMG, in which the 2nd runs make it much easier to access the S.T.A.R.S. badge without going way out of your way.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'm on my first RE2 game ever and just blew up a New York urban legend. How far am I into the campaign?

A little after 1/3.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I just want to use a minigun to mulch every zombie and licker.

Why do I have to git gud to play bad?! :negative:

I was bored, so I quickly streamed/recorded a casual Claire A Hardcore S+ run. I tried to grab a lot of stuff and kill a bunch of things instead of using speedrun/good player tricks if possible. I also screwed up and backtracked a bunch, got hit when I didn't need to, and wasted ammo being bad. I skipped the SMG until the police station revisit to pick up all the upgrades at once, but feel free to take it earlier if you run out of pistol ammo.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/383866286

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where do people usually save during Claire B S+ runs?

Same places as Claire A: Sometime between G1 and sewers (depending on how long you want to push your luck), before G2, and before G3.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Black August posted:

Did not realize until a scattered rewatch today just HOW MUCH that Resident Evil 2 drew inspiration from Terminator 2, and how well

Aliens as well.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Caidin posted:

I slept on 7's DLC because I hadn't really heard great things about most of it but I'll take this under consideration.

On another note, I get irrationally annoyed by how useless HUNK and Ghosts helmets are, and how the armored zombies can bite through their visors.

The armored zombies actually have their visors flip up when they go to take a chunk out of you. A very thoughtful design feature by Umbrella :allears:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gotta go fast? I dunno. I googled "Claire Speed Run" and it was the top viewed & fastest run so I've been following it.

It seems to collect almost literally the bare essentials, so your knife breaks on the final swipe against Birkin, you use the exact number of subweapons to escape the swamp, etc. Never get any weapons of any kind in the Police Station.

I should probably follow a ~2:30:00 speed run instead of a 1:00:00 speed run.

I did a Hardcore Claire A S+ run earlier that is a little over 2 hours with tons of mistakes (technical and route planning) for a more casual reference than skin of your teeth speedrun tricks:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/383866286

Of note, I'm often only out of pistol ammo because I like to kill things; you can easily have a lot more in stock.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My friend Benn put out an early alpha of the RE2R rando if anyone here is eager for it. It's still a bit unstable and there are likely going to be some seed/bug/softlock issues, but it's mostly stable if you don't mind effectively bug testing. Biggest things I found last night doing a quick run is make sure to pick up chess pieces on the first dialogue (or they may disappear or transform into a different item on the second+ dialogue), and try not to put off doing the Elliot section too long or things really start to get busted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennpowell/status/1112987841758400513

I can pass on any feedback to him posted here if you don't want to email/DM him directly.

Edit: Already onto 0.0.2 between when I posted and before I finished my lunch break

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennpowell/status/1113100320782118917

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 2, 2019

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It still blows my mind that some random dude is basically making this completely free add on that Capcom could easily charge $20 for. I’d rather buy a randomized than get Ghost Survivors for free.

It's for free, but I'm sure he'd also appreciate any loose money you would be willing to throw his way (through Patreon, Ko-fi, GoFundMe, or buying his puzzle game on Steam)!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ulio posted:

Which RE game has the lasers corridor from the first movie?

RE4, on the island part.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Could I get a spoiler-free nudge for Claire's A route? I've been straight-up wandering around for 60 minutes without making a lick of progress, and I genuinely have no idea what it wants me to do.

I have two of the three medallions (unicorn and lion), I saw the scene where the helicopter crashed, and I've explored everywhere I can. The only plot items I have are the battery and the red gem, the only red rooms on my map are the C-shaped hallway between the waiting room and art room (I assume that's waiting on the crank handle, which I don't have), the STARS office (which probably wants me to find the USB dongle to get the machine gun), the safety deposit room (waiting on my finding the 3 key so I can get the hip pouch), and the west storage room. I thought maybe the battery could set off the C4 in the storage room, but I can't use it, so I'm honestly baffled.

The only other accessible doors I can see are the two that want a diamond or club key, and that white door across the library shelves that I assume won't be reachable until I find a way to remove the jack and push the bookshelves around to form a bridge.

So, what am I missing?

Have you cut through all the doors you can with the bolt cutter?

More directly:
There's a timer that combines with your battery for the C-4 behind a door that requires bolt cutters.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

It would be really cool and add to replayability if your actions in the city portion of Leon’s campaign could actually result in additional survivors other than in that one case.

Given how often you play as a rescue worker in a disaster situation in the RE series, a game that included a mechanic like that as a score system, maybe tied to a reward resource, would be super neat and different.

Dead Rising is fun but I don't know if I really want it in Resident Evil.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Can somebody explain the weird key inputs in the Nest in RE2make?

I'm re-watching slowbeef's stream of the game and somebody in his chat explained it was a regular keyboard but with the "negative space of the numbers" or something.

The white/blue shapes are the spaces inside of the numbers, and the black background is the actual lines of the number. The numbers are shaped like those on a digital alarm clock display (everything is right angles instead of curves).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

VoS was doable but rough on NG+ without an infinite ammo weapon; I spent all my crafting resources on first aid and magnum rounds, and I didn't hesitate to buy out the entire NG+ ammo stock that the Duke had. I blew through 34 magnum rounds and 40 shotgun shells plus all my healing on the final boss. Watching attempts to fresh start + no-damage VoS (even if it is segmented) is absolute lunacy to me.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Biggest cheeky surprise on VoS for me so far has been spawning a few enemies to block you when Big D is chasing you around the dungeon after she cuts off Ethan's hand.

Only other thing I remember being different is a few armored lycans spawning before you even get to the castle.

The two lycan archers across the rope bridge on high ground when returning from House Beneviento was an rear end in a top hat move that I didn't notice until I was halfway across and died. Another favorite was the metal grinder shaft jetpack encounter where a deactivated drill guy spawns on the retreat backwards out of nowhere just in case you try to pull them backwards out of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

site posted:

I've speedrun that game so many times i literally don't even know how to trigger the vjolt sidequest anymore, for either character

For Chris you have to intentionally fail to get Richard his serum in time. For Jill it's not even a sidequest, just an option between mixing up V-Jolt or actually fighting Plant 42.