Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

TerryLennox posted:

The RE series has a lot of characters that were put on a bus. Carlos Oliveira, Nikolai Ginovaev, Ark Thompson. Expect them to come back.

I just started the Chris campaign on RE 6 and goddamn the game is kicking my rear end. I am playing on normal and my first impression of the game is that it now resembles Call of Duty because of the amount of baddies totting guns. The rolls and dives are pretty cool but I'm kind of pining for RE 5's more sedate pace.

Any resemblance to Call of Duty is purely coincidental. For the most part, the guns are only there to stun your enemies (ideally with a shot in the face), which you then follow up with melee attacks. When you're playing it like a brawler with guns, it becomes one of the most fun, kinetic, and satisfying games I've ever played (seriously, the confused look on a zombie's face as you suplex it never gets old). Also, it's really improved by having a real person to chat with as you go through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
In spite of the fact that the RE6 DLC game modes recently went on sale for a buck each, I haven't found anybody else online looking to play 'em. With that in mind, would it be possible for me to get an invite to the Goonhazard group? Then maybe we could set up times to do so?

edit: steam account is lancashiremcgee

Lamprey Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 17, 2014

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Better yet, XCOM-BSAA Edition. Travel all over the world, stopping bioterror attacks then get your entire squad killed and turned into horrible monsters. The original XCOM was pretty close to that, considering how bad the Chrysalids could be.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Anonymous Robot posted:

...By contrast, Resident Evil 5 is brazenly idiotic, but actually manages to use its narrative, characters, and game mechanics to tell the story of the imperialist devastation of Africa through insane monstermen battles.

And it manages to do this by having literal spear-chucking, grass skirt-wearing, ultra racist caricature natives. RE5 may be many things, but a thought-out musing on imperialism it is not.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Wanderer posted:

For the record, that last point isn't a flaw with the game; it's with a couple of generations of fans all misunderstanding the geography.

RE2 could do a better job pointing it out, but the tram ride under the city from the sewers to Birkin's lab takes a couple of hours, and the lab is actually out in the middle of the forest. You can see this if you look out the open side of the building when you get to the top of the elevator shaft above the lab. It's nothing but pine trees out there.

Personally I object to this way less than the idea that a few hills over from the crazy mansion owned by a shady pharmaceuticals company with a secret lab underneath it, there's a second crazy mansion owned by a shady pharmaceuticals company with a secret lab underneath it that nobody has thus far given the slightest attention to.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Geight posted:

I'm considering buying The Evil Within since it's on the steam weekend sale - If I like Resident Evil in all its various iterations, will I probably like that?

It's kind of an awkward mashup between the resource management/scarcity of the first few games with the shooting of the later ones, but though it's definitely not a *perfect* game, I would say that the high points are high enough and crazy enough that you should go for it.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

General Morden posted:

Anybody still play RE6 Mercs?

I still find it enjoyable, although I can never find any players online anymore.

There's a steam group specifically for RE6 and its DLC multiplayer modes, so you're in luck!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/re6mp

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Jimbot posted:

No, no it wasn't. Steve was a mistake that was, thankfully, erased.

Cleeeeire! Cleeeeeeeeeeire!

sowry cleeeeire

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Nails posted:

I can't imagine why they would call it Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and not have something linking back to the first game, but then again it's Capcom. All I remember hearing was that it was potentially an antagonist from an older game or a side-story, so maybe it's someone from Resident Evil Gaiden or Dead Aim or something? By the time the game drops and we start playing it, once we find out who it is we're probably all going to be like "WELP" and it'll have been someone impossible to guess. Or someone that makes no sense.

The long-awaited return of Rebecca Chambers, who was behind everything the whole time.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

A+ photobomb, Claire.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Kindjal posted:

So I've been playing the Remaster on Steam and spotted something pretty cool in the backyard crypt I'd never noticed before.

I'm no expert, but it looks like Greek script on the stones underneath the slots for the death masks. I'd really like to find out if they actually say something interesting or if its just random nonsense. On another note, that room looks like it got a much more thorough overhaul than any of the other areas I've seen so far. It almost looks like a high quality real time environment instead of a touched up pre-rendered backdrop, and I really wish the rest of the game had gotten the same treatment.

I'm no scholar of Greek, but the first line of text seems be a loose interpretation of "Capcom", the Greek 'X' letter being more generally used for a 'ch' sound, though. The second line appears to say "ugchbeenl", and given that everything past that is one huge block of letters, it doesn't look promising.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

You can escape from that one. It's designed such as that you will probably go that route.

Also, there's a boulder resting on a wooden platform, which I believe the cutscene points out. If you shoot the support out as he's walking towards you, the boulder falls on top of him and deals massive damage.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Well, the bad ending was about as :smith: as I would have expected it to be. But it was also pretty drat :kheldragar:. It's not every day you see a ten year old girl tear out the beating mutant heart of a fifteen-foot tall Tyrant lady.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Magnus Condomus posted:

Any animation she does can do damage. Including reloading and possibly even standing up from knockdown. I think i had her melee do double duty once. As in Melee plus gesture damage.

Not only those, but also dodging. As for my personal preference, I tend to go for The Robot. It might not be the most efficient damage-dealer, but I'm killing enemies by doing The goddang Robot.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Also, for the determined, the Dreadnought just hit 1% health, you might want to get cracking.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
This just popped up on the Facebook Resident Evil page.

quote:

Hello Resident Evil fans!
This is Capcom R&D Division 1!
First off, we would like to express our deepest appreciation to all Resident Evil fans, for your passion, enthusiasm and continued support for the Resident Evil brand.
Enthusiasm for a Resident Evil 2 Remake is something we've been hearing from you over the years, and has drawn some recent attention in the media.
However, as the team owns the RE brand, we're not certain how we feel about this approach, and would like to ask your honest and frank opinion about the “Resident Evil 2 Remake” and what the brand identity is supposed to be about?

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Basticle posted:

Was anyone else completely thrown off by how Claire in Rev2 looks literally nothing like she did in previous games? I mean Chris and Jill before and after RE5 did too but this is even more jarring to me for some reason.

I'm not sure I see what you mean

vs.

Like, she looks exactly how you'd expect somebody to look, after aging twenty years. Or do you mean that she's not wearing the same pink leather biker jacket and booty shorts that she used to?

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Wanderer posted:

Steve is and shall always be the reverse gold standard and none shall step to his mic. He saves you twice, endangers you more than twice, and proceeds to nearly cut you in half.

Cleeeire! Hey Cleeeire! Gotcha! Cleeeeire, where are you going? Cleeeeeeeeeere

sowry cleeire.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

AradoBalanga posted:

... his revenge plot featuring weird opera-powered leeches.

Incidentally, I love Resident Evil.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
In a time where 'but with Zombies!' is all but synonymous with lovely shovelware, Capcom really needed to do something special to set themselves apart. MAN this is just a totally ordinary military third-person-shooter, but with zombies.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Momomo posted:

Jill Valentine, the woman that heard Barry and Wesker talking about their plan to use the zombies in the mansion to kill STARS and somehow has no idea what is going on.

Jill Valentine, the woman that knew a zombie apocalypse was coming, decided to stay in her room until her building was on fire before leaving.

"Jill, where are you?"
"I don't know. A room, I think."

Jill is cool and I love her, but common sense is not something she has.

quote:

...sanest... most common sense

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Yeah, it's real old-school survival horror, in that you have a really limited set of resources, so you've got to do everything you can to conserve ammo. Thankfully, you have a very broad toolkit, including stealth kills, bricks, Moira's flashlight, and occasionally the environment to help you out.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Ineffiable posted:

So uh umbrella corps seems to be coming out in a month and it's just a 30 dollar game? (with deluxe edition for some reason for ten dollars more)

I wonder if it'll actually have a decent population.

A serious question to the readers of this thread:

who actually wants this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Ineffiable posted:

Edit: I know this game is gonna crash and burn. But considering its multiplayer only, the only good time to experience it will be on the first month. Even if it goes on sale, it might not be enough to revive the multiplayer. Wait, this game doesn't even come out on disc right? We won't even get a free population from redbox and game fly people.

"I know it's going to be poo poo, but I want to make sure to get it while it's still hot! Why would I want to eat cold poo poo?"

EDIT: Also, you mention that you'd like RE6 if it goes on sale for ten bucks? Well it's on sale for $7.50 right now. I'm one of those people who really loves that game, and have put around seventy hours into it (mostly mercenaries).

https://www.greenmangaming.com/deals-of-the-dead/

Lamprey Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 28, 2016