Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Max Wilco posted:

So I made it to the church in RE0, and I'm rapidly losing patience with the game. I made it past the spiders okay, but then I died trying to save Rebecca when she falls in the pit, because I got stun-locked by Eliminators (the rabid monkeys). Made it through the second time, and I was able to get through the areas with the Hunters and back up to the main area with the Water Key. Died again trying to take out one of the leech zombies; I was using the grenade launcher's flame rounds, but during the first hit, they 'melt' and I think they're invulnerable during the animation, so in launching the rounds in quick successsion, I think I wasted them and got killed. Got the two without issue on the second attempt, though in leaving to return to the main hall, another one popped up, and Rebecca got hit, putting her back into the caution range. Managed to heal her with herbs that were outside, but then she got hurt again by the Plague Crawlers (the insectoid, grasshopper-looking things) in the Animal Room as I was trying to rush to the observatory to insert the three slabs. :argh:

What the hell happened between REMake and RE0? It seems like RE0 was made with the same engine as RE0, but they tweaked things out of wack. Like I don't know if I'm just missing shots or something, but the grenade launcher feels a lot weaker in RE0 than it did in REMake. It takes like two or more grenades to kill the baboon things, but the shotgun can take them out faster.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking I should just download Cheat Engine and bump up my weapon ammo or herbs, because at the rate I'm going, I'm either going to be under-equipped for the endgame, or I'll be spending an hour just trying to ferry everything around. I found magnum ammo, but I don't know where the magnum is yet, so it's still sitting in the main hall.

Could it just be that I'm doing something wrong? I've dispatched most of the regular zombies I've run across, but that's only because with the team system, you don't have a lot of room to maneuever (you do sometimes, but controlling the other character with the right-stick is awkward, and letting the AI follow you seems to leave them open to getting grabbed or attacked). I'm playing on Normal, and I shudder to think what Hard difficulty is like. Should I have played the game on Easy?

You're just passed the section where I gave up (the leech room). I felt it just wasn't fun to play, the two character system is clunky (the amount of healing items would be ok for one but not for both), the lack of item box is annoying, and most of the story has been contradicted since. Initially it was being developed for the N64 in late '99/early '00 and was shifted to GCN which probably explains why it doesn't have the same feel that REmake did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I kept thinking, "Am I being unfair to the game?", but then I was watching part of Carcinogen's no-damage run, and he points out in his commentary that enemies like the Hunters and Leech Zombies aren't coded the best. The Hunters apparently have a bug where they can have 0 health (:v:), but unless they take damage during a certain animation or something they won't die. I also watched part of a run by Bawkbasoup, and while I only saw the first twenty minutes of it or so, he didn't really seem keen on the game either.

Sounds like I really made the right choice in giving up and replaying REmake2 (with a mod that plays the original OST with the new sound effects).

Max Wilco posted:

It's weird, because the contemporary reviews held the game in pretty high regard (8s and 9s from various outlets). Reviews for the HD version are more in the 'average' category

I sort of wonder if it would have done better as an N64 title, provided they could have fit it on a cart.

We're the reviews mostly people saying "at least it's not as bad as Gunsurvivor"?

I can't imagine the game looking worse but having all of the poor design decisions in place would be an improvement.

Max Wilco posted:

I haven't watched that video yet, but I watched the Mega Man X7 video, and Dino Crisis 3 was brought up along with, as both games were done by Capcom Production Studio 3.

As it turns out, RE0 was also done by Production Studio 3, so maybe that's why RE0 is the way it is.

Is that a studio made up primarily of interns and failsons?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Looking at a list of their games, it seems like Studio 3 was more like the experimental, weird one; they also produced stuff like Clock Tower 3, Haunting Ground, Mega Man X: Command Mission and the Xtreme GBC titles, plus the Resident Evil Survivor series. I guess high highs and low lows makes sense when everything you make is really bizarre or out-of-the-mold for its series.

Ooff I kind of feel sorry for them now after checking the dev history.

Dino Crisis 3, The Gunsurvivors (there's a Dino Crisis one too...), RE0, an RTS Megaman, and a hack'n'slash Nightmare Before Christmas game.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Is 8 worth getting for £20?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

its already that cheap?

Nah the reduction was thanks to several customer service related mishaps.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hell Yes

Make every effort to go in completely blind your first time through- that first playthrough is :discourse:

I know a few things, mostly that Lady D isn't the main antagonist and Capcom used her mostly to get horny nerds talking about the game before launch which is an excellent marketing move.

It's installed so I'll start soon, I want to finish my REmake2 replay first (I did Claire A Leon B when it came out and am doing the reverse with a mod that replaces most of the new music with the classic OST but keeps the new sound effects).

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

I paid aroud 48 Ameribuckaroos for it and it was one of the most addictive games I played in a while. Any problems were swept aside by the desire to play it repeatedly.

Getting to myself to 7,777 Lei only took a few minutes it turned out. The Dragoon was bought and sold for 400/261, and handgun ammo was 150/15 respectively. Was tedious for sure, but I wasn't sure how else to easily manipulate the numbers one place at a time.

It's rare I replay games to be honest (like I said, first REmake2 replay since 2019 going on here right now). Even multi-branching story ones, I tend to think "that's my version of it. If I want to see the other potential story lines I'll replay it in a few years".

I did find it amusing that I now have two RE multiplayer online shooters I'll never install.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Asteroid Alert posted:

Jump on that deal, you'll get a huge price-to-quality-ratio at that price.

It's on the list. I found a mod similar to the REmake2 one for 3 that replaces the new music with the 1999 OST and gives Nemi a 1999 real coat makeover. Probably start Village this weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

that image they put out with PH and silent hill above it doesnt match, its made up of the titles from silent hill 1-4 and theres enough room at the end to fit in a 5 or an s and then the design lines up.

its coming. the real question who is making it because lmao it might be blooper or if we are lucky its kojima or japan studio left overs.

Which image is that?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

It'll be a P and this is a tease for a new pachinko machine based on the first four SH games.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Going to start RE8 and noticed an RT option. Is it good RT like Control reflections or bad RT like Control extra shadows under the chairs?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Enjoying it so far. It has a huge RE4 vibe to it.

I've just gone through House Beneviento and holy moly the giant mutant fetus was horrific!

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Agreed, that whole thing gave me legit anxiety lmao

It reminded me of Max Payne and those blood trail mazes with the crying baby (spoilers for a 20 year old game juuuuuust in case the last person to have not played it wanders in). Thankfully MP didn't have... That....

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Just watched through this run of the RE2 Leon A Kendo Cut mod and it glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMkfe1uyRo

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

drat you beat me to it, I absolutely lost it when Kendo steals Ada from Leon who promptly ends up plunging into molten steel.

This is the best RE mod I’ve ever seen, even more so than the RE Randomiser.

I loved that bit, Leon discovering Kendo cradling a dying Ada.
Some of the small details were brilliant like the eye in Birkins arm changed to the Kendo face texture and Leons head on the scenario B Tyrant bosses body.
They even used the best credits music.
Really refreshing to see a mod that's this well put together and genuinely funny instead of "Hur Claire is naked" or "I have put the butt shots back in Mass Effect 2!"

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

There's an RPD badge on his crotch:laffo:

Good eye! I totally missed that because I busy laughing at the other thing. The sigh from Kendo before he dives headfirst over the railings because the train lift is already moving was hilarious.
The modder got an impressive amount of mileage from four lines of dialogue and a scream.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

codo27 posted:

I cant stress enough that everyone must watch this, at least the initial gunshop scene and then from about 1:21:00 on which I believe are probably the only changes anyway? But absolute must watch nonetheless

There are loads of quick Kendo moments peppered throughout so it's worth maybe skipping until you see Kendo, watch that, then skip some more.

I can't work out who the silhouette is at the end, it's not Ada and has quite long arms. Slender Mans first RE appearance maybe?.

WonkyBob fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 15, 2021

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Is there a joke I'm missing because it's clearly another Kendo.

My eyesight is godawful so cranked up the brightness and you're totally right! This mod is the highpoint of our species, it's all downhill from here.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It's incredible that only four years after Mortal Kombat, Anderson went on to direct Rushmore AND Magnolia in the same year.

Such a shame he only put Milla Jovovich in the RE films, she would have been great in Moonrise Kingdom or The Master.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder what the RE8 DLC is gonna be and was a little surprised they didn't have anything in the chamber closer to the game's release

Capcom said they're working on some "free DLC" at the end of October, though no confirmation of what exactly it is.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Did that Resident Evil musical in Japan ever get made?

It did indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtuDN0Pwvxk

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Original sound DLC bring back the 98 soundtracks for all the areas + menu sounds and soundeffects,it’s brilliant.

I can’t recall if the gun sounds change but they might have.

It changes all the sound effects as well as the music. I used this mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/519) which just changes the music and keeps the modern sound effects.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Lol what the heck.

There was at least the one that just came out recently that is clearly trying to base itself off the games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQqqAWMIIAQ

It looked awful though lol.

It was the closest to the games that any live action adaptation has gotten but they still made loads of bad writing choices. They crammed the plots of both RE1 and RE2 into the one film, Leon is a failson who accidentally shot another cop and was transferred to Racoon as punishment, Chris and Claire were in an orphanage secretly run by Umbrella where William Birkin was experimenting on children, Claire is a tin foil hat Umbrella conspiracy nut because she saw an escaped Lisa Trevor as a child, and Wesker only gets sunglasses (given to him by Ada) right at the end in a mid-credit scene.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Cramming 1 and 2 together isn't the WORST decision, in fact the only thing it messes up is incorporating RE3 into any potential sequel without alteration. But yeah, the Redfields being in Birkin's Spooky Orphanage For Medical Testing was pretty dumb. Also they kind of mash Wesker and Barry into one character, in that Wesker is clearly doing his backstabbing under duress, which means we don't get Obvious Badguy Wesker, which is a real shame.

If combining 1 and 2 had been the only major change it could have worked. May have been an exec note. "Combine some of the characters, the audience will find the story easier to follow. Claires motivation isn't enough. No ones going to believe she's just concerned because her brother is missing. I dunno, make her an Umbrella truther because she got experimented on or molested or whatever. We need the final draft by next week".

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Anyway it was a bug. I can't pin down what's causing it

RE7 had similar issues, increasing shadow quality above medium, and disabling subsurface scattering might fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

While RE3R was a little disappointing due to the missing stuff, it does have an all time great one-liner.

Bitch can't even swim