Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Electromax posted:

RE1 writing was whatever but that one itchy tasty Scott note really creeped me out as a kid.

i still remember that itchy tasty note. that and the first encounter with the dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

an xcom style tactical game where you run the bsaa or loving whatever and deal with global bioterror outbreaks and build up your team. come on capcom!!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

a badass redneck survivalist is exactly the sort of thing RE has sorely been lacking.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wanderer posted:

Have you heard something I haven't?

resident evil 6 has finally managed to kill the resident evil franchise once and for all, retroactively, with one of the seven dlcs for resident evil 7.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Electromax posted:

I would love to see RE8 (or an RE7 spinoff like CVX if you want) return to the swamp, that was a really cool setting compared to faux-gothic mansions and offices.

i enjoyed re7 quite a bit but how well they integrated the sprawling bizarre mansion into an actually believable fashion was cute. like the RE2 police station will be remembered fondly forever but if they tried to do such a thing in a first person slightly more realistic style i think they'd really struggle to hit the right tone, but a weather torn bayou sprawling expanse is totally believable.

unfortunately i think if they just go straight back to the swamp it might come off as a derivative lazy attempt at a cash in

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i need to play through with vr some time, there are so many attacks in the game where you get grabbed by the face and i bet thats wild

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

amigolupus posted:

If they put an internal team to work on it, what gamestyle would be a good fit for a modern Outbreak? Fixed camera angles + tank controls like REmake, over-the-shoulder camera with shooting and melee like Revelations 1 & 2, or first person exploration like RE7?

Something I like in Outbreak was that each scenario lasts just long enough to be enjoyable and doesn't become tiring. Plus each character has unique moves, stats and playstyles for you to mess around with.

i think rev 1/2 style would fit outbreak the best, although its inextricably tied to the fixed camera angle in my memories

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Help Im Alive posted:

They should kill Chris and give us even more Leon

chris and leon fit very different roles. they should kill chris and give us more barry fuckin burton

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the first revelations was a 3ds game yeah

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its actually purely simple OBJECTIVELY CORRECT STRATEGY.

where is a zombie weak? the head. what do you land on in a correctly applied suplex? your head also. ergo, the suplex is the ultimate zombie killing wrestling move. the ddt puts your neck right next to their face and isnt practical.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if ada can make herself real small like a mouse it explains how her spine doesnt shatter and she can escape. its pretty simple really

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr E posted:

Should I buy Rev 1 & 2 and 0's remaster/remake while they're on sale on Steam? I see mixed reviews but these are RE games so that's normal.

i dont think 0 is worth tolerating, but i guess if you look poo poo up ahead of time and carry around the hookshot way longer than you think you'll need it so you dont have to backtrack maybe its not awful.

rev 1 is probably a little better than i liked it but using the nub to aim on the 3ds ruined it for me. rev 2 is a lot of fun although the last chapter or maybe chapter and a half drag so badly, but the game is fun to replay to me with fun unlockables and stuff.

also re: re 5 and 6, i think people hated them for the very minor gameplay shift just out of kind of an ideologue issue. four is a great game but maybe y'all don't remember it was HATED initially for a similar reason, and granted, it's better than five and six (i have feelings on six) i think time has kind of helped people forget how angry people were about it also not being a "real" resident evil game. unfortunately five and six leaned in to co-op a little too hard to the degree that the games are impacted by it, so if you have someone wanting to play "more resident evil" and then being stuck in them single player i think the contrast becomes even greater. fundamentally i both think they're fine resident evil games, and weirdly six is a rock solid brawler??? and while i enjoy six more than most i am also happy they're going back to the single player roots of the series, although a lot of stuff people like about four wont be in the series going forward it seems like.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you replay chapters in 6 you keep all your weapons from later chapters. the best weapon is still jake's equippable melee, though.

jakes fists are the best weapon in re6 and once you know how to do his little side dashes to close distance are about the most fun i can have with the game imo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Policenaut posted:

For years I've thought that the easiest way to bring Wesker back would be to do some FF7: Advent Children thing where anyone with Wesker's cells could BECOME Wesker but drat if it means I can't have Jake vs. Wesker I dunno about that...

there's at least one character from Rev 2 who could turn into Wesker so you could still have Jake versus Albert in this scenario

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i enjoyed RE7 for what it was, although it goes through like three distinct horror genres during the course of the game made it feel a bit all over the place, just less so than six.

my big issue with 7 is goddamn you capcom i dont want to have a character with bad aim shooting exclusively at wiggle head enemies

Wanderer posted:

You really have to keep in mind that RE4 is a bubble game. People who were big RE fans before it tended to be upset at the game; people who were lukewarm to neutral on the series will name RE4 as the first one they actually liked. Depending on where you were at the time of its release, you might get the idea that the game was a lot less popular than it actually is.

It also wasn't helped by an initial nine months or so of GameCube exclusivity. The PS2 port is Capcom's 24th best-selling title of all time, but it probably would've done better had it been a cross-platform game from the start, and the only reason it wasn't was that Shinji Mikami vastly preferred developing for the GameCube.

yeah it was the big RE fans who hated it when it came out, i just always thought the parallel in tonal shift pissing off the people who showed up the first time that happened was kind of funny. on a long enough timeline all resident evil fans will feel confused and betrayed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spiffster posted:

Speaking of Souls, because it’s cheap and I haven’t really played much of the souls game, can anyone tell me if the switch version is good or not? And in that same vein is Revelations any better on the switch then the 3ds?

revelations is absolutely better on the switch than the 3ds because you dont have to use that stupid rubber nub in lieu of an analog stick.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

tofu mode probably isnt worth it but the hunk scenario was actually very tense and difficult, i remember lurching my way up to that roof and being stoked when i finally won

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah you gotta a rank both scenarios and then you can unlock it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my favorite ammo conservation tip in a survival horror game is that if you go into the final boss fight in Silent Hill with no ammo it just immediately dies.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Doc M posted:

Having the heart on the outside kind of seems like a design flaw on your super soldier, to be perfectly honest. I'm no Umbrella scientist, though, so I'm sure they have a perfectly reasonable explanation for it.

if your super soldier has multiple hearts, having one exposed on the outside is a perfect trap! "a ha, the boss weak point! its heart shaped and glowing red!" they will think. but you've got PLENTY of hearts. the true weak point is still the brain!

umbrella hire me.

AtheistMantis posted:

Like all animals, I bet the true weak point is still the head. Since Tyrants are so prohibitively expensive and resource intensive compared to Hunters and Lickers, Umbrella did some focus testing and installed a second redundant heart to draw fire. Also helped that people were less likely to run away if they felt like they had a chance of winning in a straight fight.

Also, it's not like they die if you destroy the outer heart, they just mutate into whatever claw-eyed blob monstrosity is fashionable for the era.

i have a partner ready for the lab

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the only things i remember about RE3 were the mercenary team, thinking Jills outfit was extremely dumb for that game, and that there was a dodge button? well you could dodge anyway

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont think any of the other games in the series did this but Silent Hill 3 had independent difficulty settings for puzzles and combat and every loving game that has both puzzles and combat should have this option

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Convex posted:

Replaying RE2 on my PS3 for the first time in years and it's way shorter than I remember. I guess that's due to knowing exactly where to go and what's going to jump out in each room. Like the Birkin fight on the elevator is over in about 30 seconds if you know to just blast him with the sparkshot.

Sounds dumb I know but I never tried speedrunning these games before and now I'm kinda accidentally doing it! Will have to try for an A rank and finally get Hunk after all these years...

i actually think of the first few RE games as "puzzle" games since largely what you're doing when you replay them is remembering where poo poo is and taking the most efficient routes. the first game in particular you truly only have to fight a handful of enemies.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

Revelations 2's campaign is a bit of a mixed bag because it changed into much more of a traditional game but its still using the same engine as 1, taking some of the more arcadey elements and making them more "serious," and also changing the game from an increasingly open zone like the mansion in RE1 to a more linear game like RE4/5/6. For example, in the first game you find a ton of weapon mods that can do basic things like bigger magazines or more damage per bullet and then there are more exotic things like burst fire or charge attacks hidden slightly better than the basic stuff. You'll stumble across more than enough of the basic mods that the exotic mods feel more like bonuses and because of the open nature of most of the campaign in 1 you can still go back and find the exotic mods usually whenever you want. Revelations 2 keeps the weapon mods system but greatly reduces the number you'll find and that makes them much more important. If you don't manage to find the +Damage mod that was hidden in that corner you're going to feel that loss (even if you don't know why you're feeling it) and you can't go back to find it.

you can replay a chapter once you finish one so you can go back and find any mods you missed. and thats without finishing the entire campaign.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the resident evil movies are pretty good big dumb monster movies, and thats a genre that doesnt see enough play and one i really enjoy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats still a better contest than the time konami had a contest to send you to romania in the middle of a civil war

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

OxMan posted:

Was this a metal gear experience?

castlevania 3 had a "win a trip to romania!" contest while romania was literally in the middle of a civil war

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you care about the lore of resident evil enough to get upset about the movie continuity there exists no universe where you would have enjoyed any re movie that could theoretically exist

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the thing about eternal darkness is that by default you will never go insane so you have to go out of your way to not restore your sanity to get the fun effects. my favorite is probably you will walk into a room absolutely full of ammunition and supplies and then when you leave whoops haha no you fuckin thought didnt you

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

resident evil 2 is when i really super got into the series, resident evil was great at scaring my stupid child brain but RE2 having secret characters/scenarios and being able to do ClaireA/LeonB and vice versa was just great, i played that game basically non stop for an entire summer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Turdfuzz posted:

that is one malnourished 12yr old

shes the same size as screech

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

it would be cool if the gloo gun was in every game and i could just gloo the lickers and laugh at them

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

chief irons is a maniac and you can justify literally anything being in the RPD police station based on that

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vakal posted:

The thing I was most disappointed about in RE 7 was the molded enemies. They just looked like a gooey piles of nothing and were not really that satisfying to fight.

But that said, you can see how the same animation technology and basic style from them is being used for the mutated parts of Birkin and it looks great here.

I guess just having a human form to anchor the wriggly bits too makes a big difference.

i thought the molded were okay enemies that got a little ruined by the actual combat being a bit shoddy and by virtue of them overstaying their welcome. them being potentially mobile and threatening is sort of negated by the fact that your way of interacting with them is so static and cumbersome.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Leon S. (Sebastian Casellanos) Kennedy: what the

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RE6 is worth playing because you can equip Jakes fists as his weapon and its honestly the most fun controls of anything in the series.

also i hope RE2 remake is nothing like RE7, which is a game i enjoy where doing any actual combat is a loving chore. and a lot of people mistake combat being a chore for "combat having consequences" and i feel like it got a little bit too much of a pass for that. it works fine earlier in the game where you can actually just run from enemies but then there are sequences that are just long extended fights and ugh.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jake fisting the world is great, but there are relatively few opportunities to use them early in his campaign. the infinitely respawning guys with guns, then the giant gun-only boss, then the snowy mountain where all the enemies are at long range, then the goddamn stealth section. that section of the game isn't exactly great on its own merits, but it is absolutely dire if you just want to beat jaa'vo to death with your bare hands.

the fist dash move absolutely wrecks dudes with guns since it weaves so well

the snowmobile section is hands down the worst part of the game after everything in the leon part forcing you to walk half the time to hear stupid exposition.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you can just straight up turn off QTE so they dont particularly bother me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you ever see a bunch of birds chilling go ahead and flashbang them, you're usually almost guaranteed to get a flashbang back along with a ton of treasure, as in resident evil 4 spain birds are born stuffed full of grenades

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i can't blame anyone from being turned off after the slow, uneventful walk through a banquet hall

honestly i think a lot of people are turned off from RE6 because Leons campaign is touted as the ~most true to resident evil~ so they insist on starting with it and his first chapter is a lot of forced slow walking with not a lot of action. i dont think its the worst campaign but people going into it believing its the best it has to offer and then going into that extremely slow start probably has a bad impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

button mashing QTEs are loving garbage for people like me with a serious arm injury. timing based is whatever, its kind of bad, but i basically cant play any game with button mashing anymore