Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

1st AD posted:

6 has the best gameplay of the entire series but for some reason everyone seemed to cry about it so I'm sure Capcom had to walk it back a lot.

I'm finally doing a proper co-op campaign of RE6 and I absolutely love the game. It's a bit less focused than RE5 was but I adore how ambitious it is. It throws a LOT against the wall and not everything sticks but there is a core of a game that I wish they'd build on for later entries. I wish all RE games had co-op like RE5 and 6 do. They are definitely more actiony but I've had more fun with those two games than anything else in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Renoistic posted:

Rev2 is my favorite RE game. I played coop the first time through, though. The switching is OK even if you have to babysit the AI some.

Does Rev2 have real co-op like RE5 and 6? I avoided it because I was under the impression it was only for another mode or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'd love a co-op style RE2 game in the vein of Leon's campaign from RE6, but I'm one of the few who doesn't care much about the "horror" aspect and more about the fun aspect. RE6 was a blast to actually play, despite its issues.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
RE6 is just so ambitious it's kind of charming. You can sort of see them brainstorming and throwing every idea in; it's very enthusiastic and while not everything works, it's just a fun game to play. Mercs definitely distills it down to the best parts. But even though the campaign's weird theme park ride levels and odd level design are a mess in general, it's an interesting mess. Co-op is almost necessary though; having a live partner to share the weirdness that is RE6 is essential to enjoyment, I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

abagofcheetos posted:

The setting for PE1 was just so unbelievably amazing, you can't get much cooler in a video game than fighting the dinosaur exhibits in the Museum of Natural History.

Square Enix still hasn't topped themselves for pure atmosphere compared to the PE games. Even 2, which I didn't enjoy as much, oozes atmosphere.

New York is my favorite JRPG setting.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

It looks like one of those lovely asset flip indie games.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

losonti tokash posted:

I got RE6 for me and a friend during the Steam sale and goddamn I love this game, it's so crazy.

It's a mess but it's so loving ambitious and BIG I can't help but love it. It tries so much and not everything sticks, but the gameplay is easily the best in the series once you figure it out. I just wish I did a better job of explaining its mechanics to the player.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Noooo what, exactly?

no seriously how is that remotely a bad thing

RE6 has, hands down, the best gameplay in the series. It just does a bad job of telling you how to do it and has poo poo level design in which to display it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think there's something to say for combining Leon and Claire's sides into one co-op campaign and then adding sliding kicks, shooting from their backs, suplexing and head stabbing. I'm playing through RE6 again with a friend right now and the gameplay is just so good. Once you get the hang of its intricacies you can do some wild poo poo. It's a shame a lot of areas don't let you play that way. Mine carts, i'm talking to you :argh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

Probably? There will definitely be a huge backlash if it isn't like REmake.

There will be backlash no matter what they do.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fereydun posted:

yeah if you break it down into chapters it's either that or chris 4-2 (the bridge) as my picks for 'this is probably what re6 should've been'.
it's straight up a nonstop close range combat section with no gimmicks and a really high amount of enemy variety due to the increased mutation chance of the neo umbrella soldiers vs. other types of j'avo so you just get to go wild

RE6 works best when the combat is front and center. Leon's chapter 1, with the hallway battle or when you get out of the subway tunnels back into the city are both very fun. It's the gimmick levels (MINECART :argh:) that bog things down.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ugh, RE7 looks very much not my bag. If I wanted to play Outlast, I'd play Outlast. I was secretly hoping for more bombastic Action-RE6 but on an Umbrella base on the Moon or something.

Punching Moon-boulders will forever remain a dream :sigh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sunning posted:

Capcom probably wouldn't be able to make a AAA RE7 in the vein on Rise of the Tomb Raider or Uncharted 4 You need a large, disciplined team working on a modern, fully featured game engine. Panta Rhei is MIA, RE7 runs on a 'RE Engine,' and the company has had productivity problems delivering feature rich games on modern consoles.

They can't even buy nice stock photos for their engine logo:

Rebooting the series into a game with a smaller scope is better choice than delivering a content starved AAA game in today's market.

Yeah, what I want isn't necessarily what's good for the series, I'm just grousing. RE7 is a miss for me so far and that's a shame because I really like the bombastic, over the top silliness of RE4-6.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm back to playing RE6 again with a buddy because despite its issues it's just so much goddamned fun. The aesthetic of 7 bums me out so far but maybe it'll turn out to be a surprise. I'm of the opinion that RE is at its best when it's doing its over the top B-movie thing and winking at the camera at the same time. Leon one liners never fail to get a laugh out of me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Raxivace posted:

I finished Chris' campaign in RE6. That uh, took a turn at the end there. It straight up became BioShock with Chris and Piers running around the halls of Rapture, Piers injecting the Electro Bolt Plasmid into himself and mutating, and then it played one of the endings from Ever17 for some reason.

RE6 is bonkers.

I love RE6 because it's just peak B-movie bullshit and I think that's where Resident Evil is at its best. Leon and Helena fighting her giant, mutated spider-sister in an ancient native american mega-ruin underneath some flyover state, then immediately crashing a plane into china is a high-water mark for me as well. RE7 doesn't really tickle me because it just looks like it takes itself too seriously. The final product could surprise me, so who knows.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

eh, from everything we've seen so far i wouldnt say re7 takes itself too seriously. it's just the main characters now have a sense of fear. the family still look like peak resident evil b-movie shenanigans. probably no crashing planes into china but that's okay.

Yeah, it's just going to end up being a personal taste thing. I don't go in for the hillbilly horror stuff so it's just not for me. It may be a good game though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
RE6 really cements Leon as the Prime-vehicle crasher. There's like a car, a bus, and a plane. There might be more but those just leapt out immediately.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Doesn't he wreck like a second bus during the Ustanak fight as well? Also a minecart too at one point I guess.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked suplexing zombies better

I also liked that. For my money, RE is most fun when it's action schlock with some horror elements. RE5 was the real sweet spot. 6 was interesting but a mess. I wish the gameplay from that could be in a better game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

RE6 is way, way better than RE5. RE5's co-op is clunky and cumbersome, its inventory system sucks and the levels are a retreading of poo poo done in RE4. I liked it fine when I played it the first time, but doing the HD version was an absolute chore, and I miss being able to slide and move so fluidly.

RE6 is the pinnacle of the action part of RE, beyond the rather poorly programmed boss fights.

RE4 is still better than all of them though because its inventory system is the best.

I love slide-kicking zombies and then shooting them from behind while still on my back and regaining stamina for more melee shenanigans. The gameplay of 6 is so wide open and versatile, it's just that many of the stage setpieces that aren't great (and bosses like you mentioned).

e: countering a zombie, then pulling a weapon from their body and decapitating them is always satisfying.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
RE is at its best when it's only pretending to take itself seriously and is instead incredibly over the top and schlocky.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
RE looks fun. Imma watch it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm glad this movie will be the bad one so that the Netflix one can be the good one. I am so loving hyped for Lance Reddick's take on Wesker.

All Resident Evil is the "bad one". It's all nonsense. Embrace it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Medullah posted:

He had a great run as an antagonist in the DC Arrowverse! Well, maybe not at first but once he hit Legends he was great.

Though now that I think about it, I mostly like him as a villain. Obviously his greatest role ever was as M. Bison, of course.

He honestly elevates whatever he's in. His Arroverse stuff was great, especially in Legends. He's so affable but menacing at the same time. I'll watch him in anything at this point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shiroc posted:

I started Resident Evil 6 and played the prologue and the first two chapters of Jake/Sherry. Even knowing it was more pure of an action game, it is still surprising how far removed it feels even from the back half of RE5. It has a lot of Uncharted feel in it with the 'run away towards the camera' sections. Ustanak in the cave was right out of Gears 1 and its blind Locust. I'm enjoying it enough but I'm really glad they went to the styles of Revelations/Remake 2/3 and RE7/8 instead of doing any more of these.

The campaigns all have a different feel, I think. Leon's feels like a more traditional RE story while Chris' feels like an extension of 5. I feel the opposite of you, though I understand why people prefer the Rev/REMake style stuff. I just happen to like schlocky action horror you can play with friends and RE5/6 really fit that bill.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Shiroc posted:

I did the first chapter of Leon and parts of it (mostly the very beginning) felt more like other Residents Evil. I think the big thing that's weird about 6 is just how utterly relentless it is so far. All of the others have more pace shifts, even 4 and 5. More exploring, finding and reading files in game, rooms without enemies, some degree of puzzles. 6 has just been blasting as much as possible.

RE6 absolutely needed more downtime, I agree. It opened at an 11 and rarely moved the needle. I've always felt like RE6 was super ambitious but super uneven. It doesn't do everything well, but it does a few things fantastically. Combat feels amazing (which maybe it shouldn't, given you are a bit TOO powerful) but the game doesn't really tell you how to play either. The weird theme park set pieces never land either. But the whole game just feels like this insane mess that I think it's just too easy to love or hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

codo27 posted:

Why does every stupid loving youtuber (all of them) have to put their stupid loving face in every stupid loving thumbnail

Marketing. I usually avoid youtubers that do that though so who knows?