Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Turbo's new techno compilation is available for streaming. Some amazing stuff in here, especially Iron & Water by Gingy & Bordello.

http://soundcloud.com/turborecordings/sets/new-jack-techno/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

AKP posted:

I went to the mad decent block party in toronto this past weekend, claude von stroke was supposed to play but his flight got delayed.. fortunately he still made it on time to play at footwork that night in toronto. paid $30 cover but it was worth every dollar - quite possibly one of the best sets ive ever witnessed live.

I was at the block party too, I was pretty disappointed when he said he couldn't make it. I saw him at DEMF and it was probably one of the best live sets I've ever heard. I've always been a fan of his and his label but he completely blew me away at DEMF.
I was debating going to FW and in the end didn't end up going but now I'm kind of glad because I would have been pretty pissed if I had to pay $30.

Seriously though if anybody here gets a chance to see Vonstroke at least once, do it.

a milk crime posted:

Lots of good names on that list. Actress is great, his last album is special. Actress in general is someone special.

I like Actress a lot but his live set at DEMF was pretty bad, I'm not going to lie. First of all for whatever reason his sound quality was poo poo. I don't know if he just didn't have his software set up properly or what but it sounded really bad.
Second it seems like he hasn't quite figured out what he wants to do with his music live yet. Seeing as he is a fairly new producer, and his stuff tends to lean on the experimental side, I can understand that. But my point is it wasn't a very good live set.

The rest of the lineup is great though.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Sort of, you can definitely catch cheaper acts depending on who is doing the bookings (I saw Scuba for $10). But the club Footwork has a fairly large monopoly and gets most of the big acts, and in my opinion its not a very good venue. It has a very loyal following but compared to some of the other cities and clubs I've been to its difficult to justify paying that much sometimes.
I also saw Adam Beyer and Ida Engberg play back to back at that venue for $20, so even for them $30 is a lot.

Also DEMF early birds are only $60 which is an incredible price and has kind of spoiled me.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
An improv mix I did of stuff I'm into right now, I'm sure you guys will recognize a lot of the artists!
Feedback always appreciated :)

https://soundcloud.com/redstartoronto/redstar-01

adam beyer - no rain (joel mull's after rain mix)
massive attack - paradise circus (gui boratto remix)
innerspace halflife - wind
ascii.disco - dancing with the ghosts
clouds - those cracks in your face, do they hurt! (truss remix)
midland & pariah - untitled 1
joy o & boddika - mercy
sei a - break the pattern
blawan - 6 to 6 lick
clouds - optic
plastikman - spastik (dubfire remix)
function - obsessed (scb edit)
untold - motion the dance
rrose - waterfall
jacques greene - prism

Firaga fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 12, 2012

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hey thread, I recently played out and recorded a set I'm quite proud of.

I recorded this on an S4 running through a Xone mixer, and I used the Xone's filters for a lot of my buildups and sweeps, which unfortunately did not record. I used the Traktor filters when I needed to filter a single track, but otherwise my hand was on those sweet sweet Xone filters all night.

That being said, I had a wicked time, and I'm sharing that with you! Complete with managed levels and a tracklist with labels. Can you tell what my favourite labels are?? :)

Some old favourites, some new favourites, lots of acid, lots of techno.

https://soundcloud.com/redstartoronto/dj-redstar-live-january-2013

Tracklist:

Untold - Motion The Dance [Hemlock]
Rrose - Waterfall [Sandwell District]
Sei A - Hyphen [Hemlock]
Midland & Pariah - Untitled 1 [She Works The Long Nights]
Clouds - Those Cracks In Your Face, Do They Hurt? [Turbo]
Blawan - Lavender [R&S]
Truss - Beacon (MPIA3 Definition) [Our Circula Sound]
Gingy & Bordello - Body Acid (KiNKs On Acid Remix) [Twin Turbo]
MPIA3 - Acid Badger [R&S]
Blawan - 6 To 6 Lick [Black Sun Records]
Clouds - Optic [Turbo]
Plastikman - Spastik (Dubfire Rework) [M_nus]
Lemon8 - Model8 (Lemon8 Remix) [Plus 8]
Green Velvet - Flash (Original Remastered) [Relief]
Cirez D - The Tumble [Mouseville]
L-Vis 1990 - Girl Clap [Night Slugs]
MPIA3 - Casual Welding [AViAN]
Clouds - Consciousness (Randomer remix) [Turbo]

PS: G/Nautiluss, if you're reading this, your tracks have been in my playlist for a long time and I'm a huge fan, keep going! I got Daniel Avery's fabriclive CD for xmas and was thrilled to see Troubleman on there! Sorry I missed you on Saturday, I was recovering from my show :)

Firaga fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 14, 2013

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

a milk crime posted:

Looks good dude

what a great gift!

Thanks man :)

And yeah it's an awesome gift! I just wish it had digital downloads included, but then again I already have most of the tracks. I wouldn't quite call it techno but its very heavily influenced and I'd really recommend it.

If anyone is interested just check out his Water Jump EP. Unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0rsBTBrb0

demonR6 posted:

I love a good techno set, thanks for sharing that. What a shame the Xone filters did not come through but regardless of that it I enjoyed listening to it. Once Plastikman, Lemon 8 and Green Velvet kicked in that sealed it for me. Those three are cemented on my all-time favorites list and Flash is probably top five all-time favorties across genres.

Thank you!

It's too bad about the filters but I'm going to be purchasing a Xone very soon so I won't have that issue in that future :)

Those 3 tracks are some of my favourites of all time, especially Lemon8. The original red vinyl is going for $300 apparently.
I first heard Villalobos play it and that was right as I was really getting into acid and old school techno and it just blew my mind. I play it any chance I get and the crowd always freaks out and DJs are surprised its from '93. Timeless record, one of the only tracks with a true breakdown that I really enjoy.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

AKP posted:

Anyone here from NYC or familiar with the music scene down there at all? I've heard mixed reviews about it lately, wanting to know if someone could shed some insight. Thanks!

been on a music hunt lately, will edit this in a few hours with tracks.

I spend a lot of time in NYC, shoot!

There are lots of good parties, they are just more spread out than the more popular stuff. Also expect to pay money for some of the bigger names.

You're more likely to see a show at one of the bigger clubs rather than a warehouse, which is not everyone's thing. For example, Adam Beyer played Pacha last week. Fortunately the clubs all have killer sound systems but last time I went to Pacha I paid $14 for a bottle of beer.

The problem is their local DJs/producers are mostly moombahton/trap/dubstep/electro/not techno. So a lot of their really quality local shows and spaces cater to that crowd. If you're into the UK Bass stuff like Machinedrum, Addison Groove, Joy O, etc you'll find a fair amount of that too. House music is there too. Cielo has been doing mostly deep house.

Although there are a few people that are doing major techno events in warehouses. Like Blkmarket membership and Subfractal's new media platform De-Konstrukt.

Personally I love it. It's NYC! With a population density like that even the smallest party at the most unknown venue goes off. As I mentioned the clubs have wicked systems and DJs bring their A game.

I have friends and family there but I don't actually live there, so I apologize if there is something I missed or misunderstood but those are my impressions from the last 2 years!

edit: Night Slugs night last weekend was great apparently, pretty sad I missed that. But not exactly what I'd call contemporary techno.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 22, 2013

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Ah yeah the new club in Brooklyn had Dubfire on opening night. I also had the privilege of seeing Breakbot in a hotel lounge (Yotel) powered by Funktion Ones.

Last time I went to Cielo it was residents night playing awesome jazzy deep house (think Mark Farina mushroom jazz) and there was no cover, and open bar from 10-11. $8 beers after that which isn't too bad.

I've been to a few BK warehouse shows with great craft beer on tap for about $6 a pint but unfortunately the music wasn't anything interesting.

So like I said, hit or miss. If you are considering Berlin I would definitely recommend that over NYC as much as NYC is almost like a second home for me. It's great to visit, but if you don't have local friends who can point you in the right direction, or plan ahead to visit during an event you want to go to, you will find it a little lacking.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Toronto got a new Funktion One system at a recently renovated venue, and for it's maiden voyage we got Jacques Greene and Nautiluss :hellyeah:

Really excited.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Hell yes. Tracklist looks great, Motion The Dance by Untold is one of my favourite tracks and I'm glad it's still making its rounds in mixes.

I'm pretty stoked to see Silent Servant and Rrose at DEMF.

Perc has a new label for no bullshit dance floor tracks. The first release is a track I've been hearing quite a bit, looking forward to future releases.
http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2013/04/perc-trax-announces-new-imprint

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I'll be at demf with a bunch of friends. I think we are going to Perc on the Friday and I don't think we decided on the other parties yet. Going to see what unofficial parties are going on first. Last year I just got a stack of flyers the day of and we just sort of decided.

I'm crossing my fingers for a Sandwell District after party :)

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Paradise by Floorplan (Robert Hood) is finally out!! It came out on the 1st but I kept forgetting to grab it.
http://www.beatport.com/release/paradise/1092910

What a great album, I have a feeling I'm going to be playing this as much as I've played The Killer by Shed. Lots of tracks I've been hearing for a while.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Anyone here familiar with Edmonton Alberta? Going to be there for a week next week, and I'd love some recommendations. Any events going on the weekend of the 16th would be wonderful. I get that my options are probably limited but even a bar that plays tech house or house would be perfect.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Seconding Fifth Wall... great label. Big fan of Cloud's EP https://soundcloud.com/fifthwall/sets/clouds-man-out-of-dubs-ep

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Dusty Kid earlier today linked a free downloadable album

(is that berghain??)

Very dark/dubby compared to most of his stuff.

Love this guy, so happy he released something new. Closer to the sound I've been into lately too. Too bad its mixed because there are a few tracks I would definitely play out.

Also that Ben UFO em and Truss boilerrom are on point. Lots of good music on this page.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Not sure why anybody thinks being crammed down there all weekend is a good thing. Last year was awful in my opinion and not just because of the sound. More than half the acts I wanted to see were down there and it took a solid 20-30 min to get in and get out every time I wanted to grab a drink or go to the bathroom.

Also some sort of diversity between the stages would have been nice, I mean the rest of the festival is pretty cool but I didn't spend much time at any of the other stages because everybody was at the underground.

I do the dark basement thing back home almost every weekend, a big stage and open air would be great.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Going to see Joey Beltram this Friday with Lone and Tessela, pretty stoked.

Has anyone seen Joey Beltram recently? Any good? I know he's a legend and R&S is one of my favourite labels, but what/how does he play nowadays?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

BWV posted:

I'll be there too. Excited to see what type of set Tessela plays.

I figure Beltram will just play big and relentless techno. And by figure I mean really hoping.

:hf:

Should be a great night. New Beltram live mix!! http://www.mixesdb.com/w/2014-09_-_Joey_Beltram_@_Kinetic

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Is anyone surprised? Just wait a few more months and go to Movement for less than half the cost.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I'll summarize this but feel free to ask questions.

Just a couple things about Detroit itself, first of all get a number of a cab. Ask friends, the company, whatever. People will try and hustle you and depending on where you are and where you want to go finding a taxi can be difficult. Don't get stuck in the middle of a city you don't know at 4 AM. This isn't NYC, you can't take the L from Manhattan to Brooklyn at any time of the night.
Second thing, sort out accommodations ASAP. In fact you should probably make sure you can get to and from the festival, and have a place to sleep before you buy tickets. Entire hotels get sold out. I know some people who are not comfortable to stay at a Airbnb out in the edge of the city but we never had issues. It's just a bit of a pain in the rear end to go back and forth.

Otherwise, pretty solid lineup, something for everybody.

After parties are just as great and a lot of people go just for those. Make sure you plan out your schedule or you'll find yourself sleeping in until 5 PM. Also so you and your friends won't be torn on where to go. Some are further out of the city and may require a bit of planning to get to. Get tickets in advance if you can.

That's about it really, the whole city blows up and it's a fantastic time. Even better if you make time to go see some sights or have someone show you around.

That being said I hate how they funnel all the techno acts in the small underground pit and I complain about that a lot but some people like being in a 300 person capacity pit the whole time. In previous years they spread it out a bit but depending on your tastes expect to hang out in one place a lot.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 28, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

BWV posted:

The pit is great during the day. Seeing Orphx, or Voices from the Lake or TommyFourSeven at 3 pm is pretty fun. But yea it's a poo poo show by sundown.

The hotel advice is huge. It;s worth it to pay a bit more for a better place. The first year I stayed at a crap motel thinking i'm a hard rear end dude who has slept in worse places. It was a terrible decision because you're basically dancing for 10 hours+ everyday. The next year I paid a bit more and got a place that was a 10 minute walk from the festival with solid AC and a nice bed. Worth every penny.

Yeah for sure, I saw Juan Atkins there years ago when the programming was a bit different and there was a big dance circle in the pit. It can be pretty intense getting in and out to get drinks/washroom/whatever when the big names are playing. I commited to a few artists set's like Ben Klock and then moved on. YMMV.

We loved our airbnb because the hallway to our room was completely sound proof, and we ended up throwing a little party with all the people staying there. Got to meet lots of interesting people from all over the world. Definitely an experience I might not have had if I stayed in a big hotel. It was about 30-45 minutes away from the festival though so I'm not sure if I would do it again.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 28, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I always explain house as being more organic sounding (brass, piano, samples/vocals) and derivative of disco, bit lighter, great in the sun. Techno as more cold, heavier and machine driven, more synthesizers and alien noises, rougher around the edges, derivative of the Detroit landscape. Obviously thats pretty general but most people seem to get it after that.
Trance I guess would be faster, sweeping melodies, big chords. big hands in the air moments where you can you understand why people take drugs and listen to this music.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

air- posted:

I don't even wanna imagine how suspicious Border Patrol would treat you once you're crossing the border for like the 3rd/4th time in a weekend with them knowing you're going to an electronic music festival. gently caress that.

Basically this... I've never had trouble going into Detroit (I'm Canadian) and saying it's for the festival but that was in and out. You can be subject to random spot checks and it will flag you when your car pulls up if you're going back and forth. You can be brought in for further questioning and a search and at the least you'll have to tell the same story and be interrogated each time.
I have lots of experience with regularly driving across the (Niagara/NY) border for unrelated reasons and it's a massive pain in the rear end.

Unless someone wants to chime in with a different experience crossing the border sucks. If you do it anyway forget drugs and be ready to be profiled because you will look like you've been partying non stop.

edit: can't stress enough that border patrol does not gently caress around.

Check airbnb. Second year I went I stayed at one a bit further away from Hart Plaza. It was an awesome experience because we stayed with super cool people and we got by with experience and a bit of common sense. Tell the cabbies to turn the meters on. If you find one you like get their personal number, they are always looking for business. Never tried uber although I probably would now. Have some sort of an idea as to where you are going so you don't randomly get stranded and the distance isn't that bad.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 4, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
My wife managed to get a Movement pass from her work last minute so I bought a ticket for Saturday. Didn't think we would go this year but looks like I'll at least get to go for a day!! My friends are letting us crash on their floor for the night. Really happy to be back in Detroit!!
We are checking out Juan Atkins at deep Detroit for the after party. Anyone know is there is anything going on Sunday during the day? I'd like to stick around before driving back but I only have a festival ticket for Saturday.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Comb Your Beard posted:

Need some advice techno thread.

Friend wants to do Movement Electronic Music Festival: Detroit with me, but not attend the actual festival, just the parties. To me that sounds crazy, I'm sure there are some excellent parties we could go to, but I wouldn't want to arrange my entire experience around that. Who is right here?

Going for just the after parties is a pretty common thing to do and the city is going to be lit up the whole weekend. That being said the festival is amazing and I highly recommend both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I'm going to see Anthony Parasole play open to close on Saturday and Dekmantel just posted his podcast so I'm going to have a little rave in my apartment.
https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/dekmantel-podcast-048-anthony-parasole