Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I think I'm going to start a pull list for Hickman's X-Men and the shop I go to wants at least five books. I'm also thinking Black Cat, becausethat seemslike the kinda book that will need early orders to survive, but for the last two I'd like something non-superhero non big two with a low issue count (single digits) so I could easily pick up floppies of all the back issues. I really like Kierron Gillen, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue Deconnik is hit or miss for me, as is BKV.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Isn't Venus de Milo one of the single most hated things in the franchise, though?

I never saw the poo poo she was on, so I don't have an opinion on her as a character, but I think it's kinda bullshit to name her after a piece of art instead of an artist like the original 4 (and especially to name her after a statue of a topless woman with no arms).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

:corsair:

Anyway, SDCC is apparently close to over now. Any word on what this comic is actually about or from which perspective(s) it's told?

There's a whole nother day left

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My main problem with Venus was that the boys were all named after important Renaissance artists and she was named after a work of art. I know male artists are more prominent in our pop culture but it's not like there weren't any important female artists from that period.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I had no idea there were new issues of Rat Queens. Signing up to draw that book is like signing up to be the drummer for Spinal Tap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

You know what's not ongoing anymore?

WICDIV

dang its weird using everyone's normal names.

So Gillan has both DIE and Once and Future, but I need a monthly shot of Mckelvey.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Loved the end of Wicdiv, even if I was a bit past being ready for it to be over. The last arc ran a bit long, in my opinion, but I love how it wrapped up.

Okay, best independent Maxi-series?

Sandman and Lucifer are definitely top 5, Preacher probably is in there, maybe Planetary. Y: The Last Man is also probably top 5.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Neither Sandman nor Lucifer is independent.

I know Vertigo is Big Two, I just meant something self contained and not part of the main universes for a big comic. Everything else I mentioned is also technically owned or published by DC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How many issues was Sleeper? Because now we're running into what you call a Maxi-series, I think 24 issues has to be the bare minimum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

https://twitter.com/LlcTerrific/status/1170698865424494595?s=19

This twitter is literally just one man's slow mental breakdown in the form of a comic company buying a practically dead intellectual property.

Technically, an indie comic now that its owned by someone other than Image.

I think everything Image published was creator owned, that's why McFarlane was in a long time lawsuit with Neil Gaiman over characters Gaiman created for the couple issues of Spawn he wrote, that ended up with Marvel getting the rights to Angela.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Covok posted:

Fair enough. Good to know. Wonder what that means for a few comics they made that I like that faded into the ether? Probably nothing. Most people move on after a failed project. Still, good to know.

It means the people who made those comics likely still own the rights, so if they wanted to make more of them there isn't a legal barrier.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Giant Days just won an Eisner and is a perennial best seller in trades, its insane to me that Dark Horse doesn't want to publish more John Allison.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I just finished Hellboy/BPRD/etc. and that ending seemed kinda underwhelming? Like the big showdown between Hellboy and the antagonist was just super anticlimactic, and then the epilogue issue didn't really allow the consequences to have any weight of emotion. The death of the Ogdru Jahad was similarly anticlimactic and happened offscreen for chrissakes.

Like I dunno, given just how long that series was winding up to that conclusion, it just sorta farted it out.

I mean, I think it's hard to end anything that goes on that long with a satisfactory ending.

I'm trying to think of a long run that ended satisfactorily. Sandman and Lucifer are the longest ones I can think of at 75 issues each, Hellboy/BPRD has to be a lot more issues than that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Bone was only 55 issues but all of them were good!

There's absolutely other comics with longish runs that stuck the landing, just nothing as long as Hellboy.

Y: The Last Man is loving excellent the whole way through and that's 60 issues. I need to finish Starman.

How many issues is the whole Hellboy/BPRD saga if anyone knows? I know there's a bunch of 8 page stories in other books and probably some free comic book day comics so an exact count is pretty hard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Transmetropolitan. I'd argue in favor of 100 Bullets, although I'm still a little gobsmacked at how fast it deviated from its starting premise.

Transmetropolitan is 60 issues. I should finish 100 Bullets at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Did anyone read the new Rat Queens with the new writer? I was wondering if I should give it a shot, but I also feel weirdly at a loss for what series to keep an eye on nowadays. I feel like the only new series I care about in the past year or two have been Die and Ascender.

I haven't read it, but any new Rat Queens books I'd trade wait on, just in case whoever is working on it gets struck by lightening or turns out to be the last Nazi hiding out from Mossad or something (seriously, it's a cursed title).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Walking Dead isn't Image?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not happy John Allison does a 45 issue series and then two limited series that aren't labelled that.

His last one didn't even have a proper ending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it's sorta important to go monthly for indie books your excited about, if the floppies don't sell they get canceled, whereas there's never going to be a time Marvel isn't selling Spider-Man and DC isn't selling Batman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muggins posted:

I don't think so

Looks terrible whoever created it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muggins posted:

It's getting good reviews, I dunno

http://www.panelpatter.com/2020/11/separating-non-fiction-from-fiction-in.html

I thought it was interesting

That's a very badly written review from a website I've never heard of before.

Are you John Hedrick?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

There are a lot of Canadians in comics! I had no idea Chip was from Edmonton and I didn't even know Curt Pires was Canadian.

Vaguely functional healthcare system lets people pursue crazy arts based jobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeMadx/status/1366777702817087494

C'mon Joe, you can't post something like this without context! :negative:

I assume its whatever video game he's playing instead of drawing comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Although he's apparently not drawing it, which is why it's coming out.

So what videogame is he playing then?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Once and Future is really, really good.

Hell of a snipe, I'm referring to the Humble Bundle posted on the previous page

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/best-year-of-boom-studios-books

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Was it Remender or Nick Spencer who pulled that same trick in Captain America?

I think Spencer. It was in the Falcon Cap series right after Steve got de-aged/Nazified IIRC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Scary Go Round has years of Esther stories pre-Giant Days, if you havent read that.

There's also Bad Machinery.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

side_burned posted:

Good for them. It is a funny contradiction given how the Image was started by a bunch of artist trying to get better deal.

They sometimes did, it's just their better deal didn't include the people who weren't drawing or writing books in the equation. (Sometime not including people writing in the case of Neil Gaimen and Spawn).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Imagine having a Kierron Gillen written book with an artist wanting to draw it, and just not publishing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wielder posted:

Okay, this is going to be much better than it has any right to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Anything good ongoing out there fantasy wise? Already reading Monstress. Die was a bit too much for me.

It ended last year, and is set in modern times, but Once and Future was a fun take on King Arthur coming back (it is not a good thing that he came back). Same writer as Die, but not as serious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lucifunk posted:

I think I may already own a digital copy of Tokyo Ghosts. Maybe some Blacksad too.

As well as Deep Cuts nailed New Orleans, the fact that it's an anthology instead is great. NOLA is almost always portrayed wildly incorrectly, so it really stands out when it's done right. Kelly Thompson nails it too. I'm definitely going to pick the rest I can find up, and see some other locations at what I assume is the same level of accuracy and detail.

There's a Gambit miniseries (Gambit of the X-Men) where he goes back to New Orleans and a huge part of it takes place in a huge underground catacomb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In regards to Frank Miller, if you only ever read one Daredevil story it should be Born Again. If you like Garth Ennis I can't recommend his run on Hellblazer strongly enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jedit posted:

His first run; he came back for a single arc later on that is not as good. And I wouldn't say his first run was perfect either; after Dangerous Habits - which is a must-read - the stories are very repetitive. It's the characters that carry the Ennis Run.

I always forget about Son of Man, which yeah, isn't great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tom King writing an original character instead of bashing an existing character into whatever he wanted could be good. (Woman of Tomorrow was the "True Grit in Space" one right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Danknificent posted:

This is my first time reading him. What are the major beefs with him?

He will have a story in mind, and then get assigned big two characters where people think "that character would never do that." The biggest offender was a mini that turned Wally West into an insane mass murderer. But if it's his own characters, there's no preconceived notions of how a character would act, so that's not an issue. I actually do like some of his big two stuff, but even some of the stuff I like has characters feeling a bit off.

Also he's probably a war criminal.