Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pretty sure Hydroxycut is just caffeine and other stuff that'll make you piss a lot these days. Legit ephedra is a pain to get in a lot of places since it seems like a lot of pharmacies have stopped stocking it just to avoid the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
last night:

The gym was positively mobbed with frat boys, so literally only piece of barbell equipment I could hop on was

Incline Bench - 115x5x3, 95x5x4 for some more volume

day before:

ran around the block, took a yoga class. My university rec center has them for only $5 which is rad as gently caress

edit for today:
had time this morning to do what was supposed to be last night's workout
Squat- 225x5x3 - utterly destroyed a pair of Nike Dri-Fit shorts lmao
Row - 135x10,6,5 dropping the weight and upping the volume and trying not to cheat
Dumbbell Bench - 45x10x3
cable row

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 8, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How did you find yoga?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Not bad, made my abs sore the next day. It was an "athletic recovery yoga," , so not too hard. I used to smoke them bikram 90-minute hot yoga joints but I remember they were pretty expensive. There's some more advanced stuff on the schedule if I want at my university gym, still $5 a class.

I'll probably try the "All Levels Yoga" next before going for something more challenging but ultimately I'll add it in once a week or so. Mindfulness practice owns, and I also love their ridiculous pseudo-anatomy chatter during the class

just opening up through my side bodies over here

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So working with a physical therapist has really opened to my eyes to how our lifestyle fucks with our mobility, even for those of us that work at staying fit. I went in for tendinitis in the supraspinatus of my right shoulder. I've also discovered that my right shoulder is significantly tighter than my left and that although I have good mobility in my lumbar that my thoracic back is very tight. They are treating that as kind of a stage 2 of the shoulder rehab such is great. But it's really made me realize I need to actively work on this poo poo, especially now that I'm in the over 40 crowd. Anyone have good success in this area?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Wooter you should use the Bear Creek rec center that's off CU's campus. Way fewer people with essentially the same suite of equipment. Even has an upstairs activity room for stretching.

Edit: I got assigned some PT for chronic back pain while I was in, and I still do alot of the movements they taught me to stay free of pain.

I could def use alot more though. I want to be gumby flexible for snowboarding

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

vulturesrow posted:

So working with a physical therapist has really opened to my eyes to how our lifestyle fucks with our mobility, even for those of us that work at staying fit. I went in for tendinitis in the supraspinatus of my right shoulder. I've also discovered that my right shoulder is significantly tighter than my left and that although I have good mobility in my lumbar that my thoracic back is very tight. They are treating that as kind of a stage 2 of the shoulder rehab such is great. But it's really made me realize I need to actively work on this poo poo, especially now that I'm in the over 40 crowd. Anyone have good success in this area?

Enough to stave off any (more) injuries for now but it's still a continual process of learning, implementation and refinement that just gets more poo poo added to it as the next thing I haven't been taking into consideration decides to speak up.

Ankle restrictions leading to loving with my squat mechanics and necessitating a wider stance which makes my adductors just cheery as gently caress, plus the tension transmitting through the Achilles resulting in that tension flattening out my already near-zero arches which makes my feet feel loving wonderful. Classic glute, quad, and hamstring restrictions from sitting down all day which also makes squatting a joy and is a pain in the dick to repair, plus some of the more esoteric poo poo like tight piriformis and the hip's version of a rotator cuff which contribute to buttwink. Shoulders are a bucket of loving laughs too between problems like yours where there's issues with the AC joint mobilizing to clear the supraspinatus without impinging it, and the general struggle to keep the supporting tissues up to pace with the stress of benching more than most peoples' deadlifts and pressing more than their squats.

My one saving grace is an active focus in the entire spectrum of lifting and sports medicine, both as a pure measure of self-interest but also just for the sake of curiosity which drives me to continually learn more about the mechanics involved and the wildly varying dysfunctions that can happen, plus all the ways to both head those problems off before they even begin to get traction (ie prehab) and also to get back to where I want to be if and when I do get injured (again).

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol I've done the squat bench row workout three times in a row now its may favorite so screw you

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DownByTheWooter posted:

lol I've done the squat bench row workout three times in a row now its may favorite so screw you

That's solid. What I've done to warm up for it is curl and military press on the squat rack too. If you have a similar rack, there's also handholds to do chin-ups.

If you like working those muscles and want to add some cardio, a 500m row on the erg gives you some variety.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Out of surgery Monday for tear in inferior posterior labrum and paralabral cyst(which had apparently started to decomp on its own, so i dunno if I would've done the surgery knowing that) and somewhat functional finally. Right arm in a sling all locked down. Doing some super light kettle bell on left side and air squats/lunges...
Not much energy, I've got a long road but a few days ago i was feeling like death...

Into season 5 of trailer park boys...

Reminded me of some weirdness i came across while running a yr or two ago... went by the local low rent trailer park and saw a trailer park hottie (10/10 trailer park, maybe 7/10 college girl ) seriously working a pair of nunchucks in her front yard. Skinny jeans, cut off sleeveless hoodie and trucker ball cap. Looked like the kinda girl you could rob gas stations with :allears:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Were you watching a Major Lazer video rehearsal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKdJoXF7PI&hd=1

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Still 225, but hit 335x5 on deadlift and started running again.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm on Team Canada for Invictus 2017. I think I'll try to get from 14 to 21 hours of training a week or more.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Is there any way to increase added weight while doing dips past a 45# plate on a belt? Attaching a dumbbell maybe? I really feel like weighted dips are helping me get stronger in flat bench but I won't want to look like an rear end in a top hat with a multiple plate keychain hanging off me.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

egyptian rat race posted:

Is there any way to increase added weight while doing dips past a 45# plate on a belt? Attaching a dumbbell maybe? I really feel like weighted dips are helping me get stronger in flat bench but I won't want to look like an rear end in a top hat with a multiple plate keychain hanging off me.

Why? Add a 5 or a 10 and stop giving a gently caress about what some imaginary douche is judging you for.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just qualified for the national track and field championships in July. I really wasn't ready for all this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

egyptian rat race posted:

Weighted dips and pull ups are probably the two most under utilized workouts. They're great all around. You could also mix it up with dumbbell flat bench, or Google "rack lock outs"

That's a lot easier than it looks. Just put dumbbell behind knee then cross. You could do that + a plate? What's wrong with adding a plate to the belt next to the 45 lb plate? Are there 2.5 lb plates you could use? I bought some 1.25 lb plates online a while back since they're impossible to find.

You could also go all out and look hard as gently caress with some heavy chains around your neck

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Weighted dips and pull ups are probably the two most under utilized workouts. They're great all around. You could also mix it up with dumbbell flat bench, or Google "rack lock outs"

That's a lot easier than it looks. Just put dumbbell behind knee then cross. You could do that + a plate? What's wrong with adding a plate to the belt next to the 45 lb plate? Are there 2.5 lb plates you could use? I bought some 1.25 lb plates online a while back since they're impossible to find.

You could also go all out and look hard as gently caress with some heavy chains around your neck

Weighted pull ups are the tits to keep pushing progression with but I will admit I'm a little gun-shy with (heavier) weighted dips. poo poo starts to get a little squirrely when we're talking about 2, 3, or 4+ 45s clanging around your balls.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

You could use a vest. I us a plate carrier with loaded mags for dips and pull ups at home.

Maybe not quite an option in public though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Instead of loaded mags you could jump on amazon seller Small Parts and get literal lead bar. Or tungsten or whatever.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Instead of making GBS threads up the student thread more;

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

you're doing it wrong

It'd probably make it a lot easier to get the cals in if I did smoke, 4.2-4.5k with at least 250g of protein is not easy to hit while eating mostly clean. Ended up being something like two ~2k meals this semester on days I had classes solid 9-5, no breaks or real opportunities besides a protein shake and a banana or something similar.

An easy 5 minute breakfast of 2c Greek yogurt, 0.5c granola, a PB&J bagel, and a 3 scoop casein shake comes out to less than 1700 cals for 148p/174c/104f. Oatmeal and another shake as my last meal adds another 1400 at 90p/212c/19f, so I still have to fill 1100 calories with another 20+ grams of protein and low to no fat somewhere in the middle.

It's not quite weaponized autism since things like MyFitnessPal or other apps make tracking everything much easier, but it's still work not only preparing that much food but just eating almost the same amount that most people need for an entire day in just one sitting.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm up to 7500 cal a day since I qualified for national championships. Try eating small meals throughout, I'm constantly trying to maintain that energy balance.

I usually find time to eat in transit or when I'm doing cooldowns. It's murder on the grocery bill though.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 13, 2017

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm a lovely weak baby.

Had surgery that kept me from doing anything active for two months, then went on terminal leave and enjoyed sleeping in and being lazy, then moved across the country for a new job. Finally made some time to hunt down a local gym and get back at it after almost 7 months and it loving sucks to struggle with weights I used to warm up with. I wasn't even very strong before, either.

Whatever. Gotta start (back) somewhere I guess.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Aranan posted:

I'm a lovely weak baby.

Had surgery that kept me from doing anything active for two months, then went on terminal leave and enjoyed sleeping in and being lazy, then moved across the country for a new job. Finally made some time to hunt down a local gym and get back at it after almost 7 months and it loving sucks to struggle with weights I used to warm up with. I wasn't even very strong before, either.

Whatever. Gotta start (back) somewhere I guess.

I had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum 13 weeks ago... I'm in PT and still have a ways to go before I'm back to heavy duty body weight workouts... every time my PT lets me bump weight up 5 or 10 lbs during therapy I get a little chub and giggle... look at it (recovery) as a chance to try to do things right coming back up, as far as form, nutrition (easier said than done, I'm about to order carnitas tacos for dinner), and building yourself up in an even balanced way...this was two or three weeks post surgery when the bandage came off(silver skin)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Gnarly. Hope it's healing well for you. Mine was jaw/skull cutting and realignment, so luckily it wasn't due to an injury and doesn't directly affect movements. I just had to take it easy to make sure the screws/plates didn't pop and I didn't rupture my sinuses and bleed out, which I was told could happen if I pushed myself. Pretty good way for the docs to ensure I rest.

This is what happened to the upper jaw. Basically had my face skinned. A+, highly recommend (not really).

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Aranan posted:

Gnarly. Hope it's healing well for you. Mine was jaw/skull cutting and realignment, so luckily it wasn't due to an injury and doesn't directly affect movements. I just had to take it easy to make sure the screws/plates didn't pop and I didn't rupture my sinuses and bleed out, which I was told could happen if I pushed myself. Pretty good way for the docs to ensure I rest.

This is what happened to the upper jaw. Basically had my face skinned. A+, highly recommend (not really).

This looks like a Gorillaz album cover...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
new surgeon simulator lookin good

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
first time in the gym in 2 weeks due to a sprained/broken toe and a sprained thumb

didn't seem like i took too much of a hit conditioning wise thanks to all the fuckin military athlete poo poo and running ive been doing lately

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm reviving this pathetic thread

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Aranan posted:

I don't even know what the hell is going on in this picture or why

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wrong thread

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Swoledudes: I need snacking advice. Using the YLLS quickstart for diet & exercise and myfitnesspal to track calories. My goal is 1750 calories a day, and after a week in I'm finding that I'm hitting about 1500 and really hungry between meals. The guides say to eat lots of fibrous fruits/veggies but I'm starting to get tired of raw veggies. Hard boiled egg whites have also been good but I'm going through eggs pretty damned quick. What else is filling, and fits in a diet?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Swoledudes: I need snacking advice. Using the YLLS quickstart for diet & exercise and myfitnesspal to track calories. My goal is 1750 calories a day, and after a week in I'm finding that I'm hitting about 1500 and really hungry between meals. The guides say to eat lots of fibrous fruits/veggies but I'm starting to get tired of raw veggies. Hard boiled egg whites have also been good but I'm going through eggs pretty damned quick. What else is filling, and fits in a diet?

There's no loving way you're at 1750, even with a 500 deficit, unless you're like 5'2 130lbs. TDEE calculators can vary wildly depending on body fat percent and activity levels, but it still shouldn't be that low.

For the snacking, it's honestly the one place where the whole "gotta spread your meals out so you're eating every hour" kinda bullshit shines.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

5'7" 195 when I started last week, I'm a fatty. Shine's guide made it clear how many grams of each macronutrient I should be getting, but I'm seeing conflicting info on total calorie count. Shine's guide says to add a zero after your current weight, so 1950 calories per day. Myfitnesspal seems to add the zero after the weight I would ike to be, so that's where 1750 comes from. I'm pretty happy with the cavefish lifting routine and cardio but need to know if I should be adding a second glass of Orgain into my diet, along with snacks that fit.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

tastefully arranged labia posted:

5'7" 195 when I started last week, I'm a fatty. Shine's guide made it clear how many grams of each macronutrient I should be getting, but I'm seeing conflicting info on total calorie count. Shine's guide says to add a zero after your current weight, so 1950 calories per day. Myfitnesspal seems to add the zero after the weight I would ike to be, so that's where 1750 comes from. I'm pretty happy with the cavefish lifting routine and cardio but need to know if I should be adding a second glass of Orgain into my diet, along with snacks that fit.

That is honestly dumb as loving poo poo, holy hell. Google TDEE calculator (total daily energy expenditure), if you know your BF% use that (like actual DEXA scan or displacement test), slap in all the other numbers. That'll give you a rough idea of what your body needs to stay at where it is, again it's not super great with the "activity levels" for the week but it's better than nothing. For healthy, sustainable weight loss you want no more than a 20% deficit from your TDEE, but most (competent) people will recommend about a 500 calorie deficit. That nets you roughly a pound of fat lost per week, and it's still enough calories that you're not hungry all the time.

If you're using MFP you can break the macros down in the "goals" section independent of whatever arbitrary poo poo it assigns you. You've got wiggle room with the breakdown, but erring towards higher protein is safer especially during a deficit as it's going to help you hold onto the muscle you have. Around 25% protein is nice since that's almost 1g per lb of body weight, but like I said you can always err a little bit higher if you want. Some people advocate low fats (10-15%) but not only is that going to be a radical departure from most peoples' diets (hurting diet compliance), but it also fucks with your appetite because fats are MUCH more satiating (along with proteins they keeps you more full for longer). 20-30% fats isn't terrible and carbs fill the gap with whatever is left.

E: Oh and remember to recalculate your TDEE like once a month or more depending on how much weight you're losing, otherwise that 500 calorie deficit just turns into your new TDEE and you get stuck.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 25, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tried a few TDEE calculators and they all put me in the 1900-2100 calorie range to lose weight. I don't know how MFP calculated 1750. I need to eat more.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Chicken breast is very lean and extremely easy to cook, plus it takes to marinade very well so you can get at least some variation in flavor.

Tuna is fattier than chicken but they're good fats so if you've got space in your macros it's also a great option. Plus nowadays you can get all sorts of different flavors if you get the packets.

Cottage cheese can also be a bit fatty depending on what kind you get, but it's mostly casein which digests very slowly. This means you'll feel full for much longer than with most other foods because it's going to sit in your stomach for a while.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alternatively, fill up on fluids. Drink a lot of tea and water throughout the day.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

First overall Canadian in my sports during Invictus.

Back to training today. I managed to injure both quad tendons, IT bands and hip flexors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

First overall Canadian in my sports during Invictus.

Back to training today. I managed to injure both quad tendons, IT bands and hip flexors.

Congrats dude, that's pretty baller