Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hubis posted:

But to me the proportions look all off for (2). All the branches come off near the top and strike me as being way too thick relative to the trunk. Neither the trunk nor branches have much taper or an even branching structure.

So I dunno, it's a big thicc leafy boi to be sure, but it strikes me as something intended to be an accent in a larger garden ("garden tree") rather than a work in itself ("bonsai").

Why are you so stuck on the tree being paired with a pot #1. Branches are regularly left thick and hidden by the canopy. It's just a bonsai that isn't actively being worked on, clearly its had some work on it in the past. It would have a great silhouette with a little love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I've seen people overcharge hustle bonsai in California a few times on the side of the road

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Bonsai hustling is not a term i'd ever think i would see but here we are.

It's like the white van parking lot stereo hustle except I havent fallen for the bonsai hustle :smith:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Pretty happy with this privet progression. Link because I don't want to resize all these fukken images.

https://imgur.com/a/qgDblKJ

I forget, do you have an idea what you're going for?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Yeah in general. The longer branches are sacrifice branches meant to thicken them up before I chop them back.

Cool thanks I'm excited to see it develop!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The leaves might a little big but has anyone heard of someone doing madrone bonsai? They're one of my favorite trees and I'd love to see one

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Hi I'm your new tree and I'm so happy to see you, come right in!

It kind of looks like a cactus I love it

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hubis posted:

Stainless won't corrode, wheras high carbon you have to baby a lot more in terms of drying, oiling, etc. High Carbon, on the other hand, should hold a sharper edge/hold an edge for longer, so require less maintenance on that front (I suspect). I have no idea for certain, though.

My guess is that at the very very high end High Carbon is preferred for the consistently better cutting surface, and given that you are already operating at a level where you are probably sanitizing your tools constantly anyways the added cleaning isn't much of an impact. But I'm not sure how much better it actually is than stainless, or where the quality breakpoint is.

Full disclosure: I'm still in the "nice pair of secateurs and some needle nosed plyers" stage of bonsai tools, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

I run a couple Tian snips and they are a huge step up imo from basic gardening secateurs (but probably not necessary for what I do, I say use what you have and can afford)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

I'm still overwhelmed. I've got three trees to style and I'm about to start pruning and wiring more of my deciduous. Then a few weeks after that I have to remove all the wire.

Post pics! Sounds exciting

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

What is the window for maples? Same idea just earlier?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

bessantj posted:

Well I've put it back in the pot and am crossing my fingers. Poor thing looks terrible, though it does have its roots I didn't smush them too bad.

Brutal, I'm sorry that sounds so rough. I bet it will live and now you have the freedom to style it as aggressively as you want! Post a pic

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Whoa are there more than one bonsai pros in this thread??

My friend dropped a log on my Rhododendron luteum, breaking off a couple branches and buds. I read these can root put in soil with a little scratch on the stem, any tips? I dont have rooting compound or whatever and have nothing to air later it to, or at least I've never tried

I left a couple long and a couple short to try different techniques out but any tips are appreciated

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Whats up bonsai thread!! Just got settled into my new apartment and I am determined to cram as much plant matter onto my 8x6 balcony as I can. Here's a few shots of my trees

This looks great, did you burn and brush that yourself? Slick

Hubis posted:

From what I've read/tried, trim off the tear and lower leaves/branches, plant it in a tiny pot, wrap it in a clear plastic bag to preserve moisture, and leave it somewhere shady for a month or two.

Great this is what I was on the path of doing. Thoughts on the soak in a bleach mixture and then washing it off first?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hubis posted:

Oh, also I found what seems like a good series of posts from Longwood Gardens (isn't this your neck of the woods, Crockoduck?) specifically about developing an azalea albeit a very mature one:

1. Birth of a Bonsai
2. Character Development of a Bonsai
3. Giving Our Azalea Bonsai a New Home

Might be an interesting read to anyone else with azaleas they are trying to shape.

Who isnt at least fantasizing about that?? Good stuff thanks

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Probably the best place for azalea information is Peter Warren's youtube stuff - I got to watch him work at the same garden over the summer and the guy is probably one of the foremost Western authorities on the shrub.

Saving this name for later thanks

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Basically any of the Japanese trained are good folks to follow. Marco Invernizzi, Bjorn Bjorholm, Peter Warren, Tyler Sherrod, Matt Reel, Ryan Neil, Seth Nelson, Kaya Mooney, Julian Tsai, Boon Manakitivipart, Owen Reich, Bob Mahler, Sean Smith, Mark Goodman, Will Valavanis, Danny Coffey, Juan Andrade, etc. There's others I'm forgetting, especially all the Japanese professionals who are also worth a watch.

:eyepop: I am so into this and ready to really start my learning process. It took like 6 years now for me to begin to get comfortable with the basics of horticulture

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

Styling some trees for a client (he pays me in beer). Would people be interested in how to do heavy bends on a pine, or is that old hat?

Yea no doubt, I would love to see some real work

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Haha I went through this exact jade obsession in my plant growing development.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

I've had my best luck eschewing organics altogether. The difference in root systems is fantastic. You've got to play around a bit more with your yard, the amount of sun, and the amount of watering you do, etc., but 1 part akadama, 1 part pumice, 1 part lava rock is a golden recipe for me.

Is there a post of yours where you've talked more about this and any feeding you do or is it as "simple" (I get that it isnt) as this post makes me think it is? This recipe sounds pretty great and cutting out organics is appealing

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Those are gorgeous but they grow really fast and propagate themselves.. why not just wait a few years and make your own and buy other trees instead? If you're just trying to jump start a collection any portion of that $ could get you some serious starting material

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

That’s why

Haha Seriously though, I’m not gonna keep more than 2-3 of those big ones probably and I really like mature jades so why not? Mature stock anywhere else is 3-4x as much. believe me, if I could buy them individually for a decent price I would.

If I had the space I’d probably buy a whole order for myself to repot and sell. I have a little side hustle selling succulents, and people have been loving the jades. Mine were totally unimpressive little twigs in terra cotta pots and I sold them all in a couple weeks. The look of a tree plus the easy care of a succulent—what’s not to love?

I totally get it and that is way more justification than I had when I started collecting a bunch I was just curious. I fuggin love jades! There is a green house near me that has an 80 some year old decently sized one that was donated to them by someone near them in a nursing home, the owner gave me a piece after enough visits. Time flies though and my favorite tree now was not at the time it's just grown on me :D I'm really down with your succulent slanging too I would be most definitely buying from someone in my area doing that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I mean... nothing is going to develop its trunk in a bonsai pot? That's why people say "put it in the ground" when people ask how to thicken it up

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone have tips or videos for inspiration for a coral bark maple? I picked a tiny one out between some pavers a few years ago and its still going :) I'm pretty sure I'm just going to plant it this year and get it thicker as its grown substantially in the big pot its in but looking at others I guess I have probably 3-4 years before I should start shaping it?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

I'm not aware of anyone working with them or any really substantial bonsai being made with them. Still, doesn't mean it can't be done. If the tree is still young, you might try the tile method.

http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATdevelopingclumpformbonsai.htm

This is phenomenal, thank you. It seemed like it doesnt really grow in a way beneficial for bonsai but it was a tree that needed to be moved from the pavers so I hoped to see if I could practice on it and keep it alive

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

1) The owner let the branch get shaded out. I should have jinned it, but I used it as a guy wire anchor.

2) Hey thanks! The trick to letting them look good is just building pads like everything else, then making sure to try and angle each needle cluster up in the same direction. I talked to some of my teachers, their critiques were that I did not have uniform density and should have removed a branch.

Next up on the block is this old guy...

Yea the needle orientation on that last one is wild, very nice. I'd love to watch someone at your level work. Looking forward to the next one as well. That coral maple I want to mess with is full on fire red now I'm going to have a run at it with that tile technique you mentioned.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

loving RABBITS loving CHEWING MY JUNIPER TRUNK AHDJTKEPDNDKFBGBDJD

Ahhh that sucks so much I'm so sorry. Is it cool rabbit shari at least? :/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

The melting look with ebihara is so cool to me. $75 for a maple of that size is pretty standard around my area. I say go for it if you have the disposable income, post pics, we all learn together!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

eSporks posted:

I'm at a place where I wouldn't mind spending $75 on a good tree that is worth it, but spending $75 on a experiment that could go wrong is a bit much. I'll keep an eye on it though, maybe they will reduce the price.

Oh yea for sure then there will plenty of other potential experiments

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Dude Sweet posted:

Last weekend was the local bonsai club's annual show - I had four trees on show.
Here's an album of photos!
https://imgur.com/a/h4EJnNh

Yoooo good stuff and thanks for sharing the photos!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I like your trees Hubris, I'll be doing some work here shortly attempting that root over tile replanting crocoduck linked and will be throwing my shrubs into the online fire

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

New tree. Very happy.

Chonky boy.

Is that bottom left area the defining branch for you? Really awesome tree. Can we see a pic from above? What are your longterm plans for it?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Has anyone here heard of any non true cedar bonsai? What about Madrone? The bark is so striking but the leaves might be too big. I feel like you could do an amazing root over rock to replicate a natural cliffside ocean environment but they're so friggen hard to transplant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Crocoduck posted:

It's am metric shitton of thread grafts that are being used to very specifically create new branching on field grown japanese maples.

Ga drat I want to see what that looks like eventually