Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Hey Sjurygg, that leverpostej thing in Ragu is actually really good...

I told one of my cook friends about it, and he had the same exact reaction as myself and Darval, but it gives a silkiness to the texture, and a depth to the taste that I wouldn't have thought..

Happy easter!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sjurygg posted:

Also every time I use Global knives I get a huge loving bleeding blister on my right middle finger from my weird grip.

How weird is your grip? I mean, most people get callouses, but outright bleeding blisters?

Happy Hat posted:

I told one of my cook friends about it, and he had the same exact reaction as myself and Darval, but it gives a silkiness to the texture, and a depth to the taste that I wouldn't have thought..

I simply must try this out, it sounds suspiciously interesting...

Was it just ordinary (not factory) leverpostej in a basic ragu or something more involved?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Just ordinary leverpostej

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Happy Hat posted:

Just ordinary leverpostej

Neat, thanks.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

How weird is your grip? I mean, most people get callouses, but outright bleeding blisters?

Overhand in front of the handle, I pinch the blade between the second joint of the middle finger and the thumb. Index finger follows the spine of the blade. Makes the knife an extension of the arm, and puts the hand further up giving me tighter control of the blade, with the wrist giving me downward pressure.

Substitute "knife" for "dick" in the previous sentence and you've got

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Existence: justified.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sjurygg posted:

Overhand in front of the handle, I pinch the blade between the second joint of the middle finger and the thumb. Index finger follows the spine of the blade. Makes the knife an extension of the arm, and puts the hand further up giving me tighter control of the blade, with the wrist giving me downward pressure.

Oh right, I can see how that would scrape your middle finger on anything without a bolster. Can you round off the inside where the bolster would be on a traditional forged knife?

Like if the spine is too sharp-edged and digs into your finger, you can round it off slightly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm in Paris and I've eaten too much cheese for dinner and now I feel queasy. drat you, fromage de Francais!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Go drink a bunch of absinthe you'll be fine.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can this just be a post, co-authored by me, in the most helpful thread ever?

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Man, that was a busy week for being unemployed. Freelance can be a pain. Culinary chat seems rather tame for having barely looked at it in a while, what's wrong with you guys?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nobody has stuck their dick in something unsavory (or had something unsavory stuck in them) lately.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
dunno if im late on this or what, but

dear KozmoNaut, shut the gently caress up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Thanks for the great advice! It acted as a powerful emetic, and I DID feel much better after a thorough purging from both ends.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mindphlux posted:

dunno if im late on this or what, but

dear KozmoNaut, shut the gently caress up.

Whoops, sorry for hogging your cranky glory, won't happen again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
As soon as I saw it I thought of Dino

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

mediaphage posted:

Faaaaaabulous!!!

Dino, you have single handedly made me re-think vegan foods with your lack of scold and snarky pretense.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
H^H, I could be interested in that dinner club thing! PM email whatevah me - gone for easter, but I will get back to you.

(and sorry to revisit the knife debacle, but: Kozmonaut - my gripe with the fiskars is simply that their knives - even the "chef" knife, the one I called a santoku - are way too thin and flexy and flimsy)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

That is absolutely hilarious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dane posted:

(and sorry to revisit the knife debacle, but: Kozmonaut - my gripe with the fiskars is simply that their knives - even the "chef" knife, the one I called a santoku - are way too thin and flexy and flimsy)

My parents have managed to put a ~3cm crack in one of theirs, probably just dumb luck that it didn't actually snap.

The thinness is one of the things I like about it, it's great for slicing meat and such. You're right about it not being a particularly sturdy-feeling knife, but I haven't had any problems with mine so far.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh, MP. <3

@NoSmo: That's the sweetest thing anyone's said to me this month. <3 Thank you.

For the record, DnF has a slamming hot bottom. And her ex is adorable.

I'm going to my friends Passover seder. Thankfully, she's running it Sephardic style, meaning that I can use actual spices, beans, rice, etc. I offered to make a Quinoa something or other, and the charoset. To the charoset, I'll be adding dates, pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, cardamom, apples, pears, some brandy, pecans (I like pecans more than walnuts for some reason), possibly some dried apricots, grated ginger, and orange juice. Anyone got any other suggestions on stuff to add to it to bump up the flavour? I considered grating in some nutmeg, and a bit of ground clove, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to take away from the taste of the fresh and dried fruits.

If I can find decent mushrooms, I think I'll do my stuffed mushrooms too. I take the mushroom stems, and chop them in the food processor with garlic, jalapeno peppers, almonds or cashews, and lots of fresh parsley. Then I stuff the mushroom caps, and bake them with a bit of olive oil drizzled on. They tend to get eaten fairly quickly.

Is anyone here doing the Passover thing? I was having a chat to Psychobabble this morning about the whole messy affair, and he was like, "Dude. Your customers are nuts." I've had to refer back to the Kitniyot list more times than I care to admit, and have chunks of the damned thing committed to memory. :gonk:

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

dino. posted:

If I can find decent mushrooms, I think I'll do my stuffed mushrooms too. I take the mushroom stems, and chop them in the food processor with garlic, jalapeno peppers, almonds or cashews, and lots of fresh parsley. Then I stuff the mushroom caps, and bake them with a bit of olive oil drizzled on. They tend to get eaten fairly quickly.

Do you happen to have a recipe for said stuffed mushrooms, or do you just wing it? I'm a vegetarian going to a meaty Iowan Easter dinner, and I would like to bring a delicious thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want the one from the book, I just took a screen shot:

Click the image for the bigger version. I hope this helps!

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Do you happen to have a recipe for said stuffed mushrooms, or do you just wing it? I'm a vegetarian going to a meaty Iowan Easter dinner, and I would like to bring a delicious thing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ahaha, thanks Dino.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Interesting... Japan is trying to get its citizens to eat more rice and less wheat

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ce_.single.html

And a neato machine that makes bread out of rice!

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

dino. posted:

If you want the one from the book, I just took a screen shot:

Click the image for the bigger version. I hope this helps!

I just bought your book because of this. Thank you, dino.!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Made home made creme eggs tonight. I think I might have diabetes. I certainly have nausea and never want another Cadbury creme egg ever again, even though I haven't even had one of my home made ones. Well that's one way of curbing a sweet tooth.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Toriori posted:

Made home made creme eggs tonight. I think I might have diabetes. I certainly have nausea and never want another Cadbury creme egg ever again, even though I haven't even had one of my home made ones. Well that's one way of curbing a sweet tooth.

Some knowledge is best left ungained...

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So how do you get kids to shut up?

You claim a 5 hour drying time...

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Steve Yun posted:

Interesting... Japan is trying to get its citizens to eat more rice and less wheat

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ce_.single.html

And a neato machine that makes bread out of rice!

I wouldn't mind having a Gopan machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EKGAnWKHmI

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Is there a GWS google + hangout? If not, is there any interest in one?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

They generally spawn spontaneously on the IRC.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Where's the IRC?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
irc://irc.synirc.net/foodchat if you have a client already
http://mediaphage.net/foodchat.html otherwise

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

Where's the IRC?

irc.synirc.net
#foodchat

EDIT: Tater beat me to the thingie. In other news, I went to Steve's home town with him to be there for when he was giving the sermon for his old church. After that one, it finally sunk in why he really wants to go to Seminary.

http://youtu.be/nWMbws8WDPM

PS he got the acceptance four days after we got back.

dino. fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 3, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Is anyone here doing the Passover thing? I was having a chat to Psychobabble this morning about the whole messy affair, and he was like, "Dude. Your customers are nuts." I've had to refer back to the Kitniyot list more times than I care to admit, and have chunks of the damned thing committed to memory. :gonk:

I am sort of doing it (avoiding bread, cakes, biscuits etc, but not strictly), and we are hosting first-night Seder. So, you work at a kosher restaurant? Poor devil. I can't recall if the place you work at is South Asian, but it makes me think of a couple of Indian places I went to a couple of times in Murray Hill - Pongal and another one, which were kosherlicious (my brother is kosher. It's insane).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

dino. posted:

To the charoset, I'll be adding dates, pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, cardamom, apples, pears, some brandy, pecans (I like pecans more than walnuts for some reason), possibly some dried apricots, grated ginger, and orange juice. Anyone got any other suggestions on stuff to add to it to bump up the flavour?
Sounds pretty awesome and full of flavor to me. I'm used to charoseth being soggy granola. :( Only thing I'd quibble with is the brandy--but it's just because I'm used to red wine.

BTW, got your book! It's awesome!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Sounds pretty awesome and full of flavor to me. I'm used to charoseth being soggy granola. :( Only thing I'd quibble with is the brandy--but it's just because I'm used to red wine.

BTW, got your book! It's awesome!
SWEET red wine. Sickly, delicious, kosher wine.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

dino. posted:

possibly some dried apricots, grated ginger, and orange juice. Anyone got any other suggestions on stuff to add to it to bump up the flavour?

Prunes and oranges work very well together. They are hella sweet and strong so you'll want to be careful with them. Plus they'll up your moisture content quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Phummus posted:

It's this:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/extras/talk.google.com/spoongoons

Generally, when people are on it, they tell the IRC channel #foodchat that they're in it so that fellow goons with spoons can join.