Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
All the boiling point episodes were available in varying degrees of graininess on youtube - I watched them a few months ago. Apparently Amy's canceled their press conference as it was a breach of their contract with Kitchen Nightmares: http://media.bonnint.net/az/31/3153/315397.pdf . I have a friend who is out there right now and updating facebook with what's happening. So far, nothing wacky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
That hot dog looks like a god drat miracle.

Also just found out that Masterchef is back on. It's so bad but I love Gordan and I've been hooked since season one. At least it was easy to decide what to watch this weekend!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yesterday it was 120 here, today it is 118. Summer here sucks, I can't wait until October. At least cantaloupes have been super delicious lately!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Best falafel I ever had was in Paris: http://www.yelp.com/biz/l-as-du-fallafel-paris

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I burged pretty hard tonight even though it was a turkey burger. 'Murica-kinda. Too bad the fireworks are too low for us to see from the driveway.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Israfel posted:

I'm from a state that has a major history of ranching/cattle production (FL), grew up on a ranch myself and in a very rural area. Fast forward to today where I had to call more than ten of what google listed as "butchers" in my area (Tampa) that don't actually seem to do any butchering to find something as simple as a beef tongue for dinner. Is this a trend? I've noticed lately it seems to be getting harder and harder to find a reliable source of pig skin to make cracklins or really anything besides your standard stuff you find in any grocery store. This makes me irrationally distressed.

Have you tried more ethnic grocery stores? Usually the more Hispanic or Asian grocery stores carry all the other meats that white people think are scary. I can't imagine there's not one nearby in Tampa FL, is there a low ethnic pop there?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I think your idea for couples wrx's is the best one. I have a 2006 wagon and love it to pieces! If you're at all handy most of the maintenance is pretty easy. Just make sure you get a compression test and a really thorough check by a mechanic before purchasing, emphasis on compression test. I got lucky because mine was preowned by a responsible adult until I got my hands on it!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Might want to try an oil with a higher burn temperature next time.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah I don't really understand this thought process. That sign says to me that they didn't know all the costs going in, and obviously resent the person making money at a fraction of the cost. Isn't that the definition of America/capitalism?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

DontAskKant posted:

Edit
Question : would you not date someone because they didn't eat a certain food. Is there a food that is that important to you?

Pizza. Nah, I think it's more that I'd never date someone who didn't want to eat anything new ever or only "liked" three different things for dinner. Whenever I see posts asking for advice for cooking for someone like that I get kinda bummed out. Part of why I love my fiancé so much is that she loves food as much as me. Sure, everyone has weird things they don't like even though they should (she doesn't like caramel, wtf?) but as long as they're willing to try things that might be new or unfamiliar at least once it's fine. I don't think I could be with someone that picky, it'd be too boring!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
dino, I made your recipe for lemon rice last night and it ruled minus a few small mishaps. I used sunflower seeds instead of peanuts, so they cooked really quickly and subsequently got pretty... burnt. Whoops. I'll add them later next time. Other than that the flavors were super awesome, I love how the cumin hits right towards the end. One question about cooking mustard seeds - anytime I cook them they pop and turn black. Are they burning or is that how they're supposed to look/taste? They are always good but I never know if I'm actually doing it right or not.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So essentially dance with my pan and lemon rice will be successful. I think I can do that! And maybe add an egg yolk, but not for flavor, for when I pin my 'new' recipe later and get all the re-pins!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
A few people were discussing cold-brew coffee in here a while ago (could have been weeks or months) I think. I tried to find it but couldn't dig it up, could whoever posted about that link me to the page or re-post about it? Would be interested in keeping some really good/strong coldbrew in the fridge since it's still hot as hell in AZ but have about 0 experience making coffee at home. How long is it good in the fridge for?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

FishBulb posted:

One pound of beans in 9 cups of water for 24 hours. Strain. It will be strong.

Just use roasted beans or is this for one pound of ground beans?

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Be sure it's coarse ground coffee, regular drip grind is going to overextract and taste like poo poo. In an airtight container, it's fine for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

I assume it's best to do this into a glass container to make sure it doesn't stain or make it permanently smell like coffee? Are coarse ground bags from the store ok or should I get some fresh ground?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

KWC posted:

This is the winner. http://toddycafe.com/
I make one of these carafes each week and it is perfect. Boil up some water to make my morning coffee, or just mix it with cold water and milk/cream etc. for iced. super easy. I'm sure you could do it without the special parts, but this makes it pretty idiot proof.

I will definitely check this out, looks pretty perfect for what I want, thanks.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Steve Yun posted:

Some neato interactive chart that shows how many flavor compounds foods share with each other

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=flavor-connection-taste-map-interactive

This is really really cool. I wish the red lines could be clicked to show how/what compounds they actually shared.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Coffee update: Fishbulb, I did your method, just halved it (so 4.5 cups water, to 1/2 a bound of coarse ground beans) and I just drained it. I found out last minute I was out of the cheesecloth I thought I had, so I just used a strainer and a paper towel - I need to get coffee filters apparently. It yielded almost 2 cups of coffee exactly after all was said and done, does that sound about right? Haven't tried it yet, but it smells amazing and I'll probably have some tomorrow morning. Let me know if I should move this to the coffee thread!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Taco Bell won because Chipotle doesn't have the crunchwrap supreme and those are awesome. Also fiesta potatoes.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I kind of get the BO comment about cumin, its like two sides to the same smell... One is great, one is armpits.

In other news, I made almond butter for the first time today since almonds were real cheap at the store I go to, never buying almond butter again! Unless I'm at Costco.

What other nuts should I food process into delicious sandwich topping and smoothie additive? Added a pinch of salt and some maple syrup, so good. I'm probably going to head back to the store to buy more to freeze until next time since they're $4.99/lb, which is cheaper than I can usually buy them around here.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Gettin some tires installed. Writing a megathread on an iPhone sucks.

Did you end up with a wrx? I hope so.

Would also love to see a reboot of the pizza thread, I've always been a bit too intimidated to post, but with night time temps finally dropping below 95 its high time to start actually turning my oven on again.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Uuuugh, if I weren't so loving busy the next two weeks I would fry the poo poo out of some pickle brined chicken thighs.

Talk to me more about pickle brined chicken thighs, that sounds like my dream food.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

I was totally behind this, but the picture of the bowl of curry is really unsettling.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
That reminds me that my kitchen needs a deep clean this weekend.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah honestly I rarely post here because I got tired of 'Wait, you used grocery store chicken? How DARE you sully my eyeballs with anything but chickens raised by Atlantean virgins and fed only the fingernails of poor children' blah blah. Look, I get it, I'd love to cook with fantastic ingredients and the latest technology too (the sandwich abomination thread aside, which was 100% intended as comedy), but most weeks, what I can afford is beans, Costco chicken thighs, rice, and canned green beans.

I don't really understand this sentiment at all. I've been lurking this forum since I joined, and lightly posting for the past few years and have almost never seen comments like this. While most of the senior members encourage cooking with the best ingredients, its generally said in the context of cooking with the best ingredients that you can afford. This is a sentiment that is carried all the way through cooking, from here to the best restaurants. Cook with the best you can to maximize flavor, but no one here is going to say "gently caress you poor person" if you don't/can't source all your ingredients from Whole Foods or a local farm/market.

I guess this boils down to the above discussion about being a dick/being too nice, but as long as posters make higher effort posts, no one here judges how much you spent on ingredients. There have been plenty of awesome threads with pictures that contain value brand whatevers and I've never seen "should have used most expensive salt dickhead" its generally "try this instead of that next time, its what I do and its awesome." Maybe you got this impression because you recently posted about a chef boyardee ravioli sandwich with carrots on it or whatever it was?

fake edit: more posts about pr0k's mom from SubG please

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I think a thread with requests that are answered a little (or a lot) more in depth than the General/Quick questions thread would be really useful also. For example, I've been cooking chicken constantly for the past year since I started eating meat again but its still a bizarre mystery to me how its different every time. I'd love a guide with pictures, techniques, how other people do it often or in bulk etc instead of "cook until 165F and pull." I'd be happy to start a general chicken thread, but it seems like stuff like that might be best suited to a requests thread that could easily be transferred straight to the GWS wiki. I think this could apply to a lot of the more basic things around the kitchen, and might help attract a wider SA audience for people who are looking to get more serious about home cooking. There are constantly questions in the general thread about "how do I cook rice, its always mushy" or like mine above, "how do I stop loving up chicken the acclaimed easiest of all meats to cook???" so it might help mitigate those excess posts as well.

Also, more cook or die threads more often would be great and I think could really help boost GWC participation. I know I'd love to participate in some them to help me push my skills and try new things.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

bunnielab posted:

I made some loose green chorizo this spring and was caught my by girlfriend at 2am, standing in the kitchen, naked, frying up small bits and eating them.

This sounds terrifying (for your junk) but I'd love a recipe for the chorizo (not involving your junk).

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

The best part is the watermark on that picture of the turkeys. Good god that was terrible.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I built my thanksgiving grocery list today and realized how god drat excited I am for this week. We're hosting my small family for the first time and I'm so stoked to be cooking all week.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Happy Thanksgiving you nerds. Gonna get my dry-brine on the bird and eat a lot of bagels and lox to start the day off right.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well, guess I'm never moving to California sine I exclusively use plastic grocery bags to clean up after my dog on a walk. Bummer, I love the beach!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
That shirtless space bro was definitely mad about everything, he was a total dick! I had such high hopes for that movie, I've always liked the Aliens universe so I was fairly bummed out when it finally came out.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Tonight I shocked some hard boiled eggs with a bag of freezer burned green beans because I ran out of ice. I'm supposed to be a grown-up but I never have ice in my freezer except for summer!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Update: found my ice cube tray. No I can properly shock hard boiled eggs. Next up: pressure cooker so I can cook them instantly.

Also, drinking any alcohol out of a mug rules, no shame. Especially hot toddys, I just discovered those and they changed completely how I do winter.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

It's not a formal offer, but my UW-Madison grad application status says "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates," sooooooo.

What champange should I buy when I have the formal offer in my hand?

Madison is such a cool place, one of my best friends lives there! Eat pizza from Falbos if you end up there. What sort or grad program? Good luck!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well they opened an Ike's Place about three miles from where I live... In Mesa, AZ. Mesa sucks a lot and it's in a really weird location but hey, they make pretty loving awesome subs so I'm pretty excited about it and hope they stay open!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

bartolimu posted:

Can you elaborate on what you find objectionable about my former home state? It's got good education, arable land, decent folk and gay marriage. What more could you want in a state?

If you're looking for the exact opposite of this, you should certainly add Phoenix to your list! At least we have killer Mexican food and a fairly cheap standard of living!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Today my fiance graduated from her cosmetology program and then we ate celebratory subs from Ike's and I ate part of an old-fashioned glazed donut. Thus, today rules so far minus having to do homework. Being an adult and doing homework is a serious bummer. Hopefully we'll find somewhere awesome for dinner later, I feel like eating everything.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah it's pretty nuts, after both of us being students and me being the only one working (she had school 44+ hours a week) we somehow can't afford super expensive restaurants. Also, the subs are loving awesome.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Swiss cheese, and an awesome amount of shredded lettuce which I think is crucial to a good subs form and structure. And coleslaw. Mmmm coleslaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
We considered doing this with china and silverware from ikea but in the end the price to trouble and organization ratio led us to just spend a bit more and have the caterer take care of it all. Planning a wedding is so frustrating, but our food is going to rule and seeing all our friends is pretty cool too.