Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not even most Catholicism is like that. Granted, there are some lovely priests, but I've found for the most part they're pretty fantastic.

From my experience, the practitioners are generally more intolerant than the priests.

The priest who is going to be officiating my wedding is independent because more and more of the churches in my area are being exposed as corrupt. He left, citing political reasons, and explained that most priests are good hearted, kind, and understanding. It's the higher-ups that start to give Catholicism a bad name to the general population.

I've seen someone thrown out by their parents for religious reasons only to be helped by a local priest. As much as I don't agree with some of the philosophies, for the most part priests become priest because they want to help people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Haha yes, but you still need the oven to heat up to cook it (even if it's in the oven).

I've broiled bacon in my toaster oven. It's pretty fast that way. You could put the bacon on a rack to let the grease drip off into a pan while it's in there, too.

Then, now that the toaster oven is already heated anyway, you make potato skins with some leftover cooked potatoes.

e: This is something I did once on a New Year's Eve party when the stove is otherwise tied up. I haven't looked back since.

Marta Velasquez fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 20, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone says to bagofrice electronics, but wouldn't it be faster to put it in front of a hair dryer on medium? I mean, you're evaporating all the moisture out, right?

You don't want to put direct heat on electronics like that for long length of time. If the solder or glue is particularly low quality, you can remelt it and ruin the phone. Most phones are good enough quality that this isn't such an issue. You can still warp the glass or boards and cause a lot of stresses because of all the materials involved and their various thermal properties, though.

The other problem is that if you evaporate the water inside the phone, a lot of the vapor will stay inside the phone and re-condense inside once it cools. Once any water touches the rice, surface tension will draw the rest out into the rice, effectively creating a siphon that pulls all the water out. It's a safer way that using heat.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

So, the videos from the Madison City Vegan Fest are up. If anyone wants to see me use my hands and flail about, here are the links:

http://youtu.be/CU1j4JGdoOI

http://youtu.be/DpMB3aX7W2Q

I finally got around to watching these tonight while starting to type up my potluck entry for the N/ICSA.

This is the best :objection: I've seen to all the people I know who say that "it's not vegan if it's not organic" and walk into Whole Foods. I know too many people like that.

Also, I think I need to get a blender to make that salad dressing because it sounded delicious.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah that's the math I was using. Not sure what the therattle is doing.

According to this site, the salt should be kosher salt. If you used regular table salt, you're getting a lot more salt per unit volume than you wanted.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

loving birds will not leave my okra seedlings the gently caress alone. Don't seem to give a poo poo about any of the other seedlings, but right around the time the okra's putting in the first set of true leaves they're apparently irresistible to the local avians.

It sounds like you just need a net to catch something to go with your okra. :laugh:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Are you guys sure you aren't making alcoholic v8?

Adding alcohol to V8 is the only way to make it potable.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Yeah, we don't have one of those. I am considering securing the lid of my Le Creuset casserole with a number of strong elastic bands to make my own one though. Why waste money on an expensive pressure cooker when one can make one at home for nothing?

:haw:

You're probably not serious, but wouldn't those bands melt?

For safety reasons, a pressure cooker is probably the only thing I wouldn't try to rig up myself. I was perfectly fine putting a carrot in a drill press in a failed attempt to stuff it :v:, but homemade compression chambers are an accident waiting to happen.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Happy Hat posted:

Also - clamp it shut, the rubberbands will only melt.

If you clamp it down, tap a check valve into the lid first!

Although, at that point, it would probably be worth just buying a pressure cooker instead.

Come to think of it, can you just use a kettle as a low-pressure cooker? It builds pressure up until it starts whistling. I've never let it whistle for too long though. I'm not sure how resilient it would be.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

When the weather is hot I enjoy putting my Johnson in a tall cold glass of milk, even if I haven't burned it with chilli. Full fat is best.

I will never eat anything with your homemade butter.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vegetable Melange posted:

How do you churn your butter?

Same, but with a little jalapeño oil :smug:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

What in the blue gently caress ...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R58QB4/

That's really dumb and overpriced (i.e. more than free), but the reviews are pretty funny.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

cyberia posted:

That's dumb but even dumber is a loving garbage bowl endorsed by Rachel Ray.

What kind of brainless 'As Seen on TV' world would you have to live in to need a bowl specifically for the garbage you produce while you're cooking? And not only need a 'garbage' bowl but need one specifically designed and manufactured to put garbage into instead of say, any other bowl you might already have in your kitchen?

The person that thought of this and marketed it is a genius (an evil genius but still) but the people that buy it are probably the dumbest people alive.

I never could figure out why people want to put garbage in a bowl first. My parents do this because Rachel Ray does it.

What is so hard about putting waste directly into the garbage? Isn't is harder to wipe a cutting board into a bowl than to just dump it into a garbage can? :psyduck:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Convenience. My trash can is several steps away and while I'm doing prep work I'd rather not have to leave the board to make space for more prepping. Do I need a dedicated "garbage" bowl? gently caress no, any container works fine.

I just drag the can a little closer.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Around here as in physical location, not GWS, right?

I can't speak for Yawgmoth, but I'd say GWS is the opposite of this. I know a lot of people who like to brag that they haven't eaten a burger in a month, and they look down on everyone because others have. These are the same people who think "vegan" and "organic" are interchangeable terms and a box of pasta isn't "vegan enough" if it came from a supermarket.

I think GWS is more or less open to taste and improve on anything. Well, maybe not anything.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

Wow. Didn't realise there was that much contempt for me. Sorry guys. :(

I have absolutely no contempt for you, dino. You've shown me that there are vegans who choose to be vegan because they want to or feel it's right. It just seems that you're in the minority because being pseudo-vegan and humblebragging about it to feel superior seems to be a trend right now.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Just in case anyone else is interested, Mico is LP-ing Cooking Mama. It's become sort of a GWC-lite because after playing the game, he makes the recipe in real life.

It looks like he's going to be attempting to make natto next.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

BlueGrot posted:

I prefer my rib eyes around the 58c mark, apparantly 136 degrees in archaic measurement.

Fahrenheit is based on powers of 2. That's hardly archaic in the digital age. You can keep your base-10 crap. They're too "human-readable" and "easy to understand." :colbert:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Warning: Unnecessary :spergin: ahead

Fo3 posted:

Powers of two sounds like binary.
Ice or melted, liquid or boiling. MMmm sounds familiar. ;)

I was surprised when I first learned about it.

"Wikipedia posted:

According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[11] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).[10][12]

It makes sense when you think about other measurements. They are are powers of two away from each other, ignoring teaspoons.

1 oz = 2 tbsp
1 c = 8 oz
1 pt = 2 c
1 qt = 2 pt
1 gal = 4 qt
1 peck = 2 gal
1 bushel = 4 pecks
1 coomb = 4 bushels

Double and half were easy ways to measure volume before there were common tools to measure this stuff.

From what I remember, the discrepancy to what Imperial vs U.S. bushels and the rest is when people realized that the same volume of a substance could be a different amount depending on how packed it is, like flour. So, some areas used dry corn, some used, wine, etc., so the "true" definitions change depending on where you are and who you're talking to.

I'm sure GWC already knows all this, but I just started typing and forgot to stop. I'm a little bored waiting for an OS to compile. That's probably why I said "powers of 2" rather than "doubling."

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rondette posted:

Behold the magnificent food of the 1960s.

Chocolate, frosting, and meat? I'm happy to be living in the 2010's.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey goons, settle a stupid disagreement?

What's the best way to make a cheesecake (NY style), stand mixer or food processor?

I'd say stand mixer, too. I don't know anyone who uses a food processor for cheesecake.

Maybe you can pulverize the graham crackers for the crust using a food processor, but that requires a lot more cleanup than just crushing them with the bottom of a pot.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

Know folk in South NJ who hated all the food on their trip to Italy, because "It's not authentic like the Olive Garden." For the sake of the USA, I hope they never travel again.

There are five Golden Corrals in NJ. There's a reason they are all in South NJ.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

Bad as in having a terrible signal to noise ratio. Burgers and steaks are pretty loving simple, yeah? To a certain way of thinking this means you can throw in some random gimmick and suddenly you're taking it to the next level and man this will blow everybody's mind and everybody listen up the grill master is teaching a master class in adding loving Lipton's French onion soup mix to sad-rear end supermarket ground beef. Pow! And suddenly something really simple isn't about basic technique or ingredient selection---the actually important stuff---it's this weird projection of the need to beat the recipe or win at making a burger or some drat thing like that.

It seems like high tech kitchen gadgets and sciencey poo poo seems to attract and encourage that sort of thing.

So, eventually listening to people talk about sous vide will be the culinary equivalent of listening to people talk about their cell phones. Once there is a commonplace iOS/Android sous vide interface and app, it'll have the perfect inane storm of conversation.

Out of curiosity, if any of you have played Dungeons & Dragons, has anyone else ever thought "Let me tell you about my phone" is the culturally accepted version of "Let me tell you about my character?"

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Egg yolk is as close to flavorless as a food gets.

I have to completely disagree with you on this, and I buy the cheapest, most generic eggs from the supermarket.

Do you think hardboiled eggs have no flavor? And a runny yolk of a fried egg during breakfast mixed with hash browns or some other potato is delicious. That yolk adds a lot more than a fatty coating of color.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

I find that adding a well-made fried egg to my wife spices up our sex life no end. She's neither fatty nor bland, although quite well seasoned. Jalapeños don't work so well.

Maybe your sex life is so spicy that the jalapeño is getting overpowered. Try switching to a ghost pepper instead.

dino. posted:

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the burny burning. When you add mustard seeds, or any whole spice to hot fat, lift the pot off the heat, and swirl it around until the popping subsides. You want the mustard seeds to pop, but not burn. They will go from the almost black-brown to absolute black, but they shouldn't smell or taste burnt.

Wouldn't they still burn when you put it back on the heat to continue cooking, or do you scoop the spices back out and re-add later? I'm thinking more for when I'm cooking a chicken cutlet or something similar.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I just found out there's a new pizza place near me owned by an Italian and a Korean. They sell a 28-inch kimchi pizza. I'm excited.

Within a week or two, I'll take pics and let you all know if you should envy me or not. :smug:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
There have been a few mentions of a quick pickle. What do you do for that? Is it just a mixture of equal parts white vinegar, sugar, and water to cover the item being picked, or is there boiling involved? I thought pickling salt is involved.

How fast is a "quick" pickle? A few hours or a few days?

edit: Just realized the home canning thread includes pickling.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Your short version involved a person making EUR90K, and spending every last dime of post-taxation income on VAT-eligible things, to compare to servers in the US who can still be paid as little as USD2.13/hr + tips, or minimum wage, whichever is more, and depending on their employer may be fired the first time that employer has to make up the difference. And that's only if everyone's following the law!

For reference, non-tipped national minimum wage is $7.25/hr, so it restaurants like that, the server has to make $5.12/hr in tips or risk being fired.

Some states have a minimum wage of over $10/hr, making the situation worse for servers.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

If I had to save that rice I'd sweat some onions in some garlic confit oil and warm up the rice in that before serving. Garlic confit + lemon + onion = good and the base for all my root veg purees.

That does sound delicious. What do you use root veg purees for? I want to try to make one and spread it on toast, but there are probably better things to do use them.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

speaking of dying happy, I'm getting married tomorrow :)

~wish me luck goons~~ ^_^

Congrats! I hope it all goes well for you!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

How is that called a salad? It looks like the gelatinous equivalent of a gross fruit cake. :barf:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

I wonder how many people work at the Georgia Egg Commission? Do you think each state has an egg commission? Do they have annual conferences?

There's even an international egg commision.

edit: They also say there is a World Egg Day.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Clavietika posted:

I'll be very honest, my aunt makes this thing for potlucks we all call "cookie salad" that has whipped cream or dream/cool whip, mixed with crushed oreos OR those fine chocolate wafers, with crushed pineapple and mandarin orange slices mixed in. It's so good :negative:

That sounds like it's basically cookies and cream ice cream with a fruit topping. I wouldn't say that's bad until someone gets the bright idea to add mayo to it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

You know, I actually like Taco Bell, but this upsets me in a most spergy way:

Some where in Illinois, probably not too far from where Mrs. Gunderson lives.

That has to be one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Even if it has to be a restaurant chain, literally any other chain is better. There's not a Chipotle or anything else there?

OK. I just searched for "mexican" on Google Maps. There are at least ten Mexican restaurants, one being Chipotle, that have higher ratings. :wtc:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

Newspaper reader polls are depressing. In Vegas, Olive Garden routinely takes Best Italian and Red Lobster Best Seafood. Macayo's, a terrible beans-and-rice Mexican place that makes Chi Chi's look good by comparison, is the perennial Best Mexican. The Las Vegas Review Journal editors got so tired of their terrible readers that they do Editors' Picks too so they can point out where actual good food is.

I didn't factor in that the people who respond to polls like that tend to be bored, older people who just want a lot of cheap, lovely food.

Last weekend, my mom told me that she hates all the restaurants by her. She just wants "someplace good, like Olive Garden or Golden Corral to move in." She lives on the Jersey Shore. It's practically a law that you can't go more than a mile without hitting an Italian restaurant. It's like the Jersey version of the Eisenhower highways. She'd definitely respond to that poll.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Why does everyone hate Hank?! Is it because of the way he speaks? My wife can't stand him either, but loves watching his brother's(John Green) stuff.

I didn't know he did anything else. I've only seen him on Mental Floss once or twice.

I hate the way he speaks, too, but I'm still watching everything on his channel right now because his topics are interesting.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

When you all think of fall foods, what do you think of? It's mabon this week with group and I feel kinda braindead. I'm doing pumpkin apple butter, walnut muffins & yeast rolls (there's some nut allergies in group), turkey, veggie fritters and I'm gonna try pomegrante sorbet (buckeyes if that goes bad). It's a group of like, 20-35 so I'm just making food for like 50 because gently caress it. But I can't really seem to think of other things to make.

E: It's also pretty neat because we're cooking with the majority of stuff people have either hunted, gathered, we grew in our group's garden, or someone raised and butchered themselves. :3:

You already have a lot of what I'd think of. There's also roasted squash, pecan pie, and anything with maple.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Hang up a bacon air freshener or burn one of those White Castle scented candles.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
If you ever want to make your kitchen look like one of Dexter Morgan's kill rooms, slice just one beet in half, then knock your cutting board off the counter.

After all that, I made beet greens. They taste like sand and sadness. I just told my fiancée to pick up a different side dish on her way home. Hopefully the currently roasting beets will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

Beet greens alongside tasty tasty Radish greens, if you don't like the Kale/Mustard Green texture and flavor are really good as a pesto. Blend that poo poo up with some olive oil, garlic, nuts and some basil and it's a really delicious base.

You might have just been using older beet tops, they tend to get hard and bitter after a while. :shrug:

I may not have cleaned them well enough. I tried wilting them like spinach, but it didn't seem to work too well. They may have been old, though.

As for the beets themselves, I roasted them in a little canola oil and salted the exposed surfaces where I cut them. They are good, but honestly they taste just like canned beets. I undercooked mashed potatoes tonight, too, so I think I'm just having an off night.

I never cooked a beet before. I didn't give myself a stomach ache, so it could have been worse.