Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Wow. Didn't realise there was that much contempt for me. Sorry guys. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ate a vegan cupcake tonight. It was really good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FishBulb posted:

A doctor I saw to get a script for some antibiotics told me to change my diet and avoid all processed food and corn to cure my allergies after fasting for a couple days. I asked him if he thought I could have had an actual allergy to corn and he said it was unlikely but I should avoid corn anyways.

A doctor.

Good doctor.

Also Croat is being a punk.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's there to eat in Houston

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

dino. posted:

I was teasing you Dino. You're awesome :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Your strong ethical stance on not consuming animal products makes me sick!

Man, dino., that carrot, mustard, cumin and lime dish you suggested to me a while ago has become a firm favourite. It's so bloody good, and more so when you consider how few ingredients there are and how simple it is. :hfive:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Whats the carrot and lime meal therattle?
Never seen dino. write much about carrots.

I love ya dino. mate.
I like dairy and eggs too much though.
I usually have a vegan main meal twice a week, and it's all thanks to him.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 31, 2013

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

FishBulb posted:

A doctor I saw to get a script for some antibiotics told me to change my diet and avoid all processed food and corn to cure my allergies after fasting for a couple days. I asked him if he thought I could have had an actual allergy to corn and he said it was unlikely but I should avoid corn anyways.

A doctor.

A medical doctor told my mother to go on the paleo diet.

Mom has an anxiety disorder that makes her digestive system go apeshit. Or a very sensitive digestive system which is easily upset by her anxiety disorder. Either way, fermented dairy products are some of the only foods she can eat when she's sick, and nuts and seeds make things worse. Luckily, she was able to get a referral to an actual gastrointerologist and never had to see that nutjob again.

I'll spoil the ending: She retired from her terrible, stressful job and now eats pretty much whatever she wants. :)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

I have absolutely no contempt for you, dino. You've shown me that there are vegans who choose to be vegan because they want to or feel it's right. It just seems that you're in the minority because being pseudo-vegan and humblebragging about it to feel superior seems to be a trend right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dino. posted:

If there is, I'll defend your honor with a katana. (there isn't)

contrapants posted:

I have absolutely no contempt for you, dino. You've shown me that there are vegans who choose to be vegan because they want to or feel it's right. It just seems that you're in the minority because being pseudo-vegan and humblebragging about it to feel superior seems to be a trend right now.

It's not as prevalent here, thankfully, or I'd probably be shooting my mouth off at them because I just don't have any filtering ability with douchebag vegetarians and vegans in public settings. Not only do they make us all look bad, but they usually have no loving idea what they're talking about (I'm a vegan just like you! Hey would you like this fish sandwich?). It's like any diet that goes though a fad period and I look forward to some other thing coming along so they can all go choke on fruit leather or something.

On the other hand, around here you get a lot of "You're a vegan/vegetarian?! Ohmigosh, how long?! I could NEVER do that! But you eat chicken right?! How about a chicken enchilada?!" from the waiters and waitresses and random people at the grocery store and :cripes: I just asked to substitute broccoli for chicken on my pasta, why do you want to know my whole life's story!? Or they get really defensive. But they did that in Okinawa too so I got used to it. Angry little asian ladies growling at me asking why I didn't eat my pork in tiny little hole in the wall restaurants (that were incredible). :3:

Though I'll admit if someone at the grocery store sees me pick up like, tofu or something, and they ask me how to cook it I'll probably shoot off on a twenty minute talk so I don't mind the grocery store quite as much.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dino. posted:

You are the nicest person I've ever met on the internet, especially on a site filled with some of the worst personalities. But your adherence to a diet and lifestyle that is different from mine offends me :911:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I like to think I eat all the meat dino doesn't.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

Steakandchips posted:

I like to think I eat all the meat dino doesn't.

Except Puppy. :pervert:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenning posted:

Good doctor.

Also Croat is being a punk.

No, it was pretty obviously a joke, and dino got unnecessarily butthurt about it.

Tbh though, I don't really get the idea that "you just can't date someone" because of food preferences, as long as those preferences are reasonably healthy - and the person is open-minded enough not to throw a fit because you want to eat at Ethnic House of Foreign Food sometimes.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

^^ The instances you listed are pretty much the only dealbreakers honestly. Everybody has food preferences, and if you do more than just roll your eyes when (in your opinion) somebody couldn't be more wrong for disliking something, then it is you who is the weirdo.

Somebody in this thread once mentioned dating somebody who would only eat white food.

That's a dealbreaker, ladies!

edit: Though I will say I was pretty heartbroken when my boyfriend LOATHED something really nostalgic I grew up on: Grass soup!*

*No actual grass in the soup, we just called it that when we were young. We also put buttermilk in instead of sour cream, and parsley instead of beet leaves.

I kind of ignorantly assumed that this weird flavor profile wouldn't be an acquired taste though, and he did a spit-take when he tried it. :( But whatever more for me!

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 31, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dear used car dealers: automatic with steptronic option is not "manual transmission" killyourselfplz.

Re: babby foodists. It depends I think. If the person is willing to try new things and then form an opinion about them without throwing an awful tantrum then I think that is fair. For me, new food experiences are akin to travelling to new places, or trying a new hobby or something, if the other person isn't willing to try new things and only ever wants to go to mcd when in paris or some such poo poo, yeah, that's not gonna work out.

MY WIFE is awesome though and loves trying new foods.

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.

Croatoan posted:

Have I invented a dish that no one else has? I think that's impossible. I've found that subing chicken with boudin noir in alfredo is pretty much one of the tastiest things ever. I googles it but I don't see anyone ever posting anything about it. You should try it. It makes it grey instead of white but drat it's tasty. Also, blood sausage is one of the tastiest things ever so if you haven't tried it, you should. Don't be a pussy, dino.

Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to mask the taste of the blood/spices with alfredo. Maybe we eat different boudin, though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hey guys its time for ice cream.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562619&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post417960447

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Whats the carrot and lime meal therattle?
Never seen dino. write much about carrots.

I love ya dino. mate.
I like dairy and eggs too much though.
I usually have a vegan main meal twice a week, and it's all thanks to him.

Grate carrots.
Heat a bit of oil in a frying pan or skillet until smoking.
Toss in some cumin and mustard seeds. Cook for a minute or so until they pop.
Add carrots. Turn heat down a bit, stir and cook.
When sufficiently cooked (to your liking) add salt.
After 5 minutes add some lime or lemon juice.

SO drat GOOD. Much better than one would think with those simple ingredients. It's goddamn vegan alchemy.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I don't have a mixer or an ice cream maker help

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

BlueGrot posted:

I don't have a mixer or an ice cream maker help

You need two mixing bowls, one with ice in it, the other for your cream mixture. Now whip it until it freezes. I hope you have Popeyes arms.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I have tendonitis help

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

I have tendonitis help

get a pacojet

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You need two mixing bowls, one with ice in it, the other for your cream mixture. Now whip it until it freezes. I hope you have Popeyes arms.

The amount I hate whipping things is negated by the amount I want home made ice cream. Which is a LOT. :stare:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

get a pacojet

I am allergic to raw fruit and veg.

Also, I rarely eat sorbet, but it looks like a nice machine, but I've got an immersion blender and might give ice cream a try.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Clavietika posted:

The amount I hate whipping things is negated by the amount I want home made ice cream. Which is a LOT. :stare:

Get a chunk of dry ice, break it up a bit, put it into food processor, process, stir into cold ice cream base over ice, whip into soft serve damned near instantaneously, freeze, eat, enjoy.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Where do you get dry ice? Because ice cream is fuckin great but I don't have space for a mixer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Semisponge posted:

Where do you get dry ice? Because ice cream is fuckin great but I don't have space for a mixer.

Idk, back home you could just buy it at the grocery.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Wouldn't that carbonate it?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, it does a little, but the consistency is still pretty amazing. Great trick if you are camping or what not.

therattle posted:

SO drat GOOD. Much better than one would think with those simple ingredients. It's goddamn vegan alchemy.

Carrots and Cumin are a great combination.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Semisponge posted:

If you live in a city with bars and restaurants, you probably have ice shops or an AirGas store. Google map search for ice shop or dry ice in your area. Call them up and ask if they have dry ice for walk-in customers (some only sell to restaurants in bulk). Usually $10 a brick, which can last for hours.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 1, 2013

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I wish I could bring a dewar of liquid nitrogen home from the lab and make instant ice cream with it. :(

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Semisponge posted:

Places that sell gasses usually have dry ice. Check if there's a place nearby that fills CO2-tanks for homebrewers or something. Alternatively a pyrotechnics/stage effects dealer, as dry ice is used to form that ever so ominous floor hugging smoke. They'll probably ask you what you're going to use the dry ice for, just come clean and say ice cream as they're double checking that you're not gonna put the dry ice in a pressurized container and make dry ice bombs.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Dinner party victory last night : everybody was sofull and drunk by the end of the short rib kimchi taco course that I didn't even fire the pork chops and grilled veg.
Which, of course, means I need to figure out who I'm having over for dinner tonight...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also if you don't want to run the carbonation risk, you can also set up a larger bowl filled with your chunks of dry ice, and set your bowl of mix on top, then rapidly mix it. You'll probably want to pour in a bottle of isopropyl or ethanol or something (into the dry ice, not your base) to more completely allow heat transfer.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

So I'll keep the ice in one bowl and the cream mixture in the other like a bain marie?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Yep, add salt and some water to your ice bowl to facilitate heat transfer

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've never done it by hand, but the key is to keep scraping the frozen layer off the bowl... you want to make the ice crystals as small as possible.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yep, add salt and some water to your ice bowl to facilitate heat transfer

Electrolysis :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
The ice cream truck company 'round here sells dry ice.