Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kenning posted:

Man I would kill for a huge hunk of blue cheese, a baguette, and some wildflower honey right now.

That does sound pretty amazing. Blue cheese was one of those foods for me that I always, always hated until I finally tried some gourmet as gently caress blue cheese and what I was supposed to appreciate finally clicked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

They have clearly misunderstood basic human right policies, and have begun to consider brown people a menace to society, furthermore they no longer are able to invest in, or welcome diversity, and this not in a droll manner.

That blows, I am super sorry about your lovely friends. You should probably unfriend sooner rather than later, however is more comfortable to you. The longer you stay friends with them the longer they can justify that their lovely opinions are actually okay. Maybe if you get really lucky, unfriending will cause them to undergo some personal reflection and then you can be friends again! :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

With regards to the dangling stuff, it leaves me limp.

Edit: I may mean limb, but I cannot hear the difference between the two!

Does it help to know that the last consonant of each is the same lip movement, but one is voiced and one is not? "Limp" ends with the sound of the lips moving apart, "limb" ends with that sound plus your actual voice. If I had bothered to actually learn IPA I could probably explain this better.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Actually "limb" ends with the bilabial nasal. The "b" is silent just as it is in "lamb." "Limp" ends with an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive.

See, if I had bothered to learn IPA I'd be able to explain it better, or in this case, correctly :)

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm bored of custards.

Out of pure helpfulness I googled "egg yolk desserts" and here's one of the first recipes I got: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1813,155176-228198,00.html

edit: But for a serious answer, how about some sort of dessert bread with an eggy glaze? Does that feature eggs enough to count?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

^^^ Rest up, Halal. Weekend!

Collard green dolmathes were ludicriously delicious. I'm never buying grape leaves again.

How did you prep the collard greens? Boil them, steam them? I'm quite interested but I've never really worked with collard greens. I'll do it for awesome dolmathes though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Look what you've done, Casu. You have driven an internet...person...to giant sperg posts.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Aramoro posted:

This is true, but not Tartan ones, and especially if you're American and you've seen Brigadoon once and decided you're basically Scottish.

I got lost in a wikipedia black hole the other day and learned that each US state has an official state tartan. Why?! I'm just bitter though because California's is lame. :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I imagine GWScon would be nothing at all like the gooncon I went to years ago. That is, it would probably be mostly full of well adjusted people doing fun things together, as opposed to a bunch of neckbeards running around the strip shouting "internet" at each other.

Hahaha, were you there too? I still have my GC2k5 shirt; in fact, I wore it yesterday to the gym. Yep, that was a weird trip.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Since you said you just emailed, he suggested you call and try to make a reso. He said it worked for him recently, and they were very friendly. If that doesn't work, he'll give me more information by next week. I passed the dates along to him, and he said that should work. :) You're one of my favorite posters, so we're going to try our damndest to make your birthday present happen.

This is so sweet :allears:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I visited a venue today that can't do hard liquor, but I can bring all the beer and wine I want with no corkage fee. Extra perfect as there are several small-time local wineries that are dirt cheap yet delicious.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:argh: People in the dinner thread and their loving bread. I keep forgetting to buy yeast at the grocery store or I would have my own delicious challah. :argh: :argh:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Au Pied probably has one with a kilo of seared foie on top of it.

The poutines I've had were all okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. Haven Gastropub in Orange has a duck poutine I keep meaning to try, but with Bruxie (a waffle sandwich food stand) an equal distance from Bruery Provisions it's hard to justify interrupting my drinking to sit down in a restaurant.

:psyduck: You live around here too? I thought you lived in wherever after the EmeraldCity thread. (As a true Californian, I can't remember if it was Idaho or Iowa.) Bruxie is so awesome.

I have noted Bruery Provisions and in return I offer you Portola Coffee Lab: http://www.portolacoffeelab.com/

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Who originally posted that? I feel like laughing at the expense of others today.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone wanna come to a wedding?

Last minute droppers are the worst kind of people.

I'll totally go, I facebooked you :o: Where are you registered?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yayyyyy Casu!! In the movie in my head you finished your scene by sinking to the floor, container of sauerkraut in hand, crying uncontrollably. Your significant other finds you, realizes what happened and starts crying too. Next is a montage of you eating all kinds of delicious food. Now I'm hungry.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Gravity, you put me in the mood to record myself but you're not on IRC to show you so here:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That onion thing...wow. I had no idea I was a medical miracle, eating leftover raw onions in sandwiches and somehow never falling ill.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I had 4 meals today as Hawkboy and I navigated our families' Christmas traditions. The last meal was prime rib with taters and Yorkshire pudding and green beans and a generous helping of horseradish. Ohhhhhh yes. Merry Christmas GWS :3:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I look forward to the day when the internet finally completes itself and someone posts that very picture in this thread as an example of "the loving internet." unknowing that our very own Charmmi is its source.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It was definitely Croatoan, and if I recall correctly, ex-wife was renting the extra room in their house, so it came up a lot.

In other news, Pr0k's mother is very loose.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

When I see :gonk: I expect "dude sets himself on fire." I watched that entire original video and no one was in horrible pain :colbert:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think he was trying to say that for noobs you shouldn't go for your hardest recipes with company. It's probably a sound strategy although I think my version would be more "Don't cook anything you haven't cooked at least 3 times before, or at least make that part non-essential to an enjoyable evening." Edit: sloooooowww

Also drat, getting mad about sushi in a Coupons thread. GWC is leaking.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

You could do one for salt, the sinister-sounding sodium chloride. " At higher dosages, this is used as an emetic. Take too much, and your renal function could shut down and you die. We asked every food manufacturer why they include this deadly product in their foods. The company line: consumers prefer it and it tastes better. Well, we dug a little deeper..."

This reminds me of when I was a kid and I learned that the iron in say, cereal, was actual literal iron the metal. And I was like oh poo poo, isn't eating metal bad? I wonder if the same people who freak out about chemical names would also freak out if the saw a list of the minerals our body uses. Or the chemical names of all the vitamins!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Was thinking of showing up with one of those huge bags of whole belly sized pork rinds and crunching loudly while getting pork dust everywhere.

Needs more cheese curds.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Can't edit on mobile app for some reason, but based on my (very pleasant) trip to Madison I wouldn't be surprised if all your vegan food had Real Wisconsin Cheese in it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The first week-ish of a diet is the worst part by far anyway. Every time I start a calorie deficit I feel like I can't handle it for a week and then my body adjusts and it's fine.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I bet it's less about "that's confusing" and more "that's marketable." Pork butt is not as fancy sounding as Boston roast. The pork chop names in particular I'm betting will be accompanied by higher prices. I also like the labeling changes though, I can never remember cuts past tenderloin and ribs and poo poo like that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah. It's crazy. There are a shitton of spoon goons in the inland empire I found out. Weird.

Did I tell you I'm moving in June :( so we need to go to Salted Pig one last time for sure.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Aww, I think it's cute. It would be a cute birthday cake for someone who got skinny and healthy and wanted to celebrate it. Serve with ice cream though.

It's way better than the poo poo my cousin keeps sharing on Facebook. See:

quote:

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, slightly softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups rolled oats, old fashioned or quick (see Note)
2/3 cup plain M&Ms (give or take)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions

With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar, brown sugar, flour, and vanilla.
Using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer or just a wooden spoon, mix in the oats. You may want to use more or less here. I really like the oats in it and a thicker dip so I added a lot. Remember that the dip will also firm up a bit in the fridge.
Add the M&Ms and chocolate chips.
Store in the refrigerator until serving. Serve with pretzels, graham crackers, or apple slices. You can dip or spread this depending on how thick you made your dip. Try not to eat it all like I did!
Note: You can use more or less oats to adjust the thickness of your dip. Start with about 1 1/2 cups oats and keep adding until you reach your desired thickness. If you use quick oats you might use less since it's finer and will make the dough thicker.

Imgur won't upload the picture for me (a sign of its intelligence clearly) so you'll just have to imagine it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why the gently caress does it have flour?

It's supposed to be cookie dough dip so I think it's to give that raw flour taste to it like real cookie dough!!! Though it beats me how cream cheese fits in, other than to make me gag.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Oh poo poo, these are apparently sold at a market really close to Hawkboy's house. I will have to go purchase some go to the market intending to buy them and then stop and laugh at the price tag.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Had the bowl-lift kitchenaid on my wedding registry hoping someone wuvs me a whole shitload. Turns out I am in fact wuvved, and furthermore I have permission to open it early to submit the registration for a free accessory :dance:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I was thinking while watching the episode that for sure they must have watched their episode and realized what tools they are. But nope, starting shitfights on the internet still. Sadly enough this makes me want to try their food. Not enough to venture into Arizona though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

What's a schwa?

It's in many many English words but the simplest example is the vowel sound in "the." It's the only bit of IPA I ever actually learned because in a two hour college choir rehearsal, approximately 1.5 hours will be spent getting everyone to schwa in the exact same way.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Man I googled "what is 3 men 1 hammer" and that's as far as I want to get, thanks.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hello friends. Where do I eat delicious food on Maui and Oahu? I have never ever been to Hawaii and Hawkboy and I are going for our honeymoon. :3:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get saimin from the saimin cart. I know curbside soup in tje tropics may seem weird, but trust me.

Oh, and congratulations!
Thanks! I had to look that up but "Hawaiian ramen" sounds good to me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And yeah, congratulations dude. If you end up hanging around Waikiki a lot, try to park somewhere like Ala Moana mall and take the little trollies around or walk. Driving is awful near any of the big touristy areas on Oahu.
Thanks! I'll be sure to do all that too. I've never been to Hawaii, but Hawkboy has and he likes driving way more than me anyhow, so I'm going to let him suffer through tourist congestion. I've basically let him schedule the entire itinerary (another thing he really enjoys that I don't really like) so hopefully he kept that in mind while planning.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

More charcuterie, or things to pair with charcuterie?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This is a crap week for everyone I guess. My fiance got laid off, and we're just over 2 weeks to the wedding. He got laid off on Tuesday though and already has two interviews scheduled, so it looks like we'll be just fine, but still, what a pain in the rear end!

And I went to the dentist this morning for a checkup, got told that I'm taking very good care of my teeth, but one of my teeth has been mildly sensitive ever since getting a filling in it, and that means I might possibly get to have a root canal. :( But I get to delay it after the honeymoon at least.

edit: On the bright side I made cucumber salad a la Din Tai Fung (which at least on the west coast is a mildly famous Taiwanese dumpling house), and it was delicious. I'm pretty drat sure they make theirs with roasted garlic, mild peppers, chili sesame oil, and rice vinegar, but I can make a pretty close approximation with sambal oelek, sesame oil, and a little sugar. I usually don't bother to roast garlic for it but I did tonight and it was worth it.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The power went out here. Some dude ran his truck straight into the power line last night. They have been spending all day trying to get a new one up. I spent like 6 hours at Starbucks today recharging devices and using the wifi. Ate a Camembert sandwich that consisted of sourdough bread and a whole shitload of Camembert. Everything else I have in the fridge can either tolerate some time at room temp or is already hosed. I'm moving in a week so I might just use this as an excuse to throw everything away anyhow.