Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's notable about all this though, is that while most of the Republicans' plans for the House are going to be impotent things that can't beat the president or senate, this committee might actually be able to do something because Joe Biden has also made moves against China. I don't really see much rhetoric from Democrats about China, but there's definitely some kind of general agreement there, although not for the same reasons.
Most China-related legislation is bipartisan, and has almost universal support in both chambers.

This was also the case across both the Obama and Trump administrations. The China Commission has been around for a while. There's no partisanship here.

The largest force against this has usually been from private industry, who led the offshoring to China to begin with, and particularly their lobbyists; after covid, Xi, and two decades of not-so-nice reciprocity (for example, banning Google and other US tech), the chickens have come home to roost.

China on the other hand, is trying their best to repair this now—see: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-03/china-s-foreign-minister-says-deeply-impressed-with-americans

I don't think reversing Wolf Warrior diplomacy is going to work, to be honest. Everyone sees through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In conciliatory moves made by Beijing?

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1612462310232305664

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I suppose the question is, 'does Boundary and Ocean Affairs own South China Sea policy?'

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

I suppose the question is, 'does Boundary and Ocean Affairs own South China Sea policy?'

Sounds like a great setup for a "People's Boundary and Ocean Affairs North China Sea's South China Sea Policy"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
A retreat to core interests 中国核心利益 is a kind of backing down from wolf warrioring/telling the China Story, noting that the SCS has been presented as a core interest for a while now

It's still the case that China has too many core interests, but this is not a novel observation, and in any case China is not quite so desperate as to be willing to put those on the chopping block just yet

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Those casualties look way too low (for both sides) given the number of ships they project being sunk.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics/taiwan-invasion-war-game-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Those casualties look way too low (for both sides) given the number of ships they project being sunk.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics/taiwan-invasion-war-game-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Seems clearly they're referring to ground troops? For Sailors you can't really know because crews from sunk ships can be rescued.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm really curious if the economic fallout was also a part of the wargame. I only read the CNN article and it wasn't mentioned. I'm no expert on economics but it sounds like the 2 biggest economies in the world, who are also major trading partners, if they were to go to war against each other would throw each other's economies off a cliff. Not to mention Taiwans economy and the fact that they are the biggest producer of microprocessors for the world. Like I hope the "economic MAD" of a China Taiwan war would be so great that it will prevent China from ever starting it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I'm really curious if the economic fallout was also a part of the wargame. I only read the CNN article and it wasn't mentioned. I'm no expert on economics but it sounds like the 2 biggest economies in the world, who are also major trading partners, if they were to go to war against each other would throw each other's economies off a cliff. Not to mention Taiwans economy and the fact that they are the biggest producer of microprocessors for the world. Like I hope the "economic MAD" of a China Taiwan war would be so great that it will prevent China from ever starting it.

Japan (economy #3) is also directly involved.

People said that about Germany and France in 1910. They said it about Russia with regards to the EU and how they wouldn't attack Ukraine as recently as last February.

Economics won't stop war from happening, because from the birth of agriculture to the second industrial revolution, war was economically much more beneficial than internal development by orders of magnitude. All world cultures and states operated under this selective pressure for 500 generations and were shaped by this.

This is no longer true, but all of our state and cultural institutions were developed when it was true. It's gonna take a long long time before they adapt to the change in circumstances. Until then, war is still on the menu.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 10, 2023

Nav.
May 25, 2015
The retaliation starts. China has decided to stop issuing short-term visas to South Koreans in response to ROK's testing requirements for (all) travellers from China.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
There's an observation to the effect that both the GHWB-era Republicans on the US side, and the Jiang/Hu-era neoliberals on the Chinese side, gambled that economic integration would bring China/Taiwan obediently into the political sphere of the US/China respectively, since the elites of China/Taiwan would obviously benefit from and hence endorse continued political integration into the world-system of the dominant partner as well.

(I can't remember where I came across this observation, which is a pity)

Neither forecast came true, in the event

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seems clearly they're referring to ground troops? For Sailors you can't really know because crews from sunk ships can be rescued.

Presumably a few of the soldiers will be in ships.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/theChinaDude/status/1612768980602871808

This being on the Russian press release but not the Chinese one https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/202301/t20230110_11005078.html - indeed contradicting 不针对第三方基础之上 by naming the US - suggests some differences in interpretation...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Taiwan ramping up defense spending

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/09/taiwan-china-invasion-defense-ukraine/

Nav.
May 25, 2015

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/theChinaDude/status/1612768980602871808

This being on the Russian press release but not the Chinese one https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/zxxx_662805/202301/t20230110_11005078.html - indeed contradicting 不针对第三方基础之上 by naming the US - suggests some differences in interpretation...

What a statement to put out literally the same time the Chinese ambassador to Australia tries to stir the pot between Australia and Japan:

quote:

“If we forget history, history might repeat itself,” said Xiao Qian, Beijing’s envoy to Australia, in a rare news conference Tuesday at the Chinese Embassy in Canberra. “During the Second World War, Japan invaded Australia, bombed Darwin, killed Australians and treated Australian POWs in a way that was humanly unacceptable,”

Edited to add, in the same comment:

quote:

“My role as ambassador from China is to promote understanding, friendship and cooperation between China and Australia. It is not my role to base myself in Canberra, while criticizing a third country,” Xiao said. “It is not my role as a Chinese ambassador to Australia to try to stop Australia from developing a normal relationship with a third country."

Nav. fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 10, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Japan (economy #3) is also directly involved.

People said that about Germany and France in 1910. They said it about Russia with regards to the EU and how they wouldn't attack Ukraine as recently as last February.

Economics won't stop war from happening, because from the birth of agriculture to the second industrial revolution, war was economically much more beneficial than internal development by orders of magnitude. All world cultures and states operated under this selective pressure for 500 generations and were shaped by this.

This is no longer true, but all of our state and cultural institutions were developed when it was true. It's gonna take a long long time before they adapt to the change in circumstances. Until then, war is still on the menu.

I think most wars are generally unprofitable to the nations involved, and even the ones that do "pay off" can take more than a generation for it to work out. It also gets complicated when you look at individuals who can grift a lot of money out of the war while still being a net loss to the government as a whole on paper.

But that doesn't stop people from miscalculating or going to war for more abstract reasons. People often romanticize the few successes.

And I guess maybe you could categorize successful defensive wars as "profitable" if you put a value on continued existence and independence.

ronya posted:

There's an observation to the effect that both the GHWB-era Republicans on the US side, and the Jiang/Hu-era neoliberals on the Chinese side, gambled that economic integration would bring China/Taiwan obediently into the political sphere of the US/China respectively, since the elites of China/Taiwan would obviously benefit from and hence endorse continued political integration into the world-system of the dominant partner as well.

(I can't remember where I came across this observation, which is a pity)

Neither forecast came true, in the event

For the optimistic on the US's side, there was also a weird theory that economic freedom would naturally promote democratization. It's not really proven true at all. Milton Friedman was a hack when it came to politics.

I think you could argue that if there's enough economic connection and freedom of movement between two countries, then does it even really matter whether they're officially separate or not? But obviously if you're in the government and see that you can't directly exert your power over an area, that's what matters more to you.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think most wars are generally unprofitable to the nations involved, and even the ones that do "pay off" can take more than a generation for it to work out. It also gets complicated when you look at individuals who can grift a lot of money out of the war while still being a net loss to the government as a whole on paper.
Thats true now, but it absolutely was not true for 99.9% of the history of civilization and all of our cultures, states and social behaviors developed under those circumstances. It will take centuries to readjust.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2023/01/09/china-crematorium-covid-deaths/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

ronya posted:

A retreat to core interests 中国核心利益 is a kind of backing down from wolf warrioring/telling the China Story, noting that the SCS has been presented as a core interest for a while now

It's still the case that China has too many core interests, but this is not a novel observation, and in any case China is not quite so desperate as to be willing to put those on the chopping block just yet

FT has an article on this topic that's a good read: https://www.ft.com/content/e592033b-9e34-4e3d-ae53-17fa34c16009
https://archive.ph/6S6GS

Thought this part was interesting, too

Xi Jinping’s plan to reset China’s economy and win back friends posted:

While Xi and Vladimir Putin, Russia’s president, pledged last month to deepen bilateral ties, several Chinese officials in private conversations with the Financial Times strove to put clear daylight between Beijing and Moscow on the issue of Ukraine — a message that has been repeated to some European diplomats.

Some are scathing. “Putin is crazy,” says one Chinese official, who declined to be identified. “The invasion decision was made by a very small group of people. China shouldn’t simply follow Russia.”

The starting point for Xi’s diplomatic reset is a re-evaluation in Beijing about the benefits of its close relationship with Moscow.

China now perceives a likelihood that Russia will fail to prevail against Ukraine and emerge from the conflict a “minor power”, much diminished economically and diplomatically on the world stage, according to Chinese officials.

In addition, for all the public professions of bilateral amity, in private some Chinese officials express at least a measure of mistrust towards Putin himself.

Five senior Chinese officials with knowledge of the issue have told the FT at different times over the past nine months that Moscow did not inform Beijing of its intention to launch a full invasion of Ukraine before Putin ordered the attack.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
On the other hand, some might disagree:

https://twitter.com/Lingling_Wei/status/1603075548422770688

I think there will be attempts across 2023 to diminish the chilly reception in Europe, but these will flounder - the prospects for vigorous BRI investment in Eastern Europe (say) are dimmer than they have been in a decade, so there is no real urgency to conveniently forget the wave of of economic retaliations that Beijing has been quick to impose regarding Taiwan

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Found Ronya's Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/AlexGabuev/status/1612891083419095053

(more seriously, this is a good long thread that wraps up the points and analysis)

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the optimistic on the US's side, there was also a weird theory that economic freedom would naturally promote democratization. It's not really proven true at all. Milton Friedman was a hack when it came to politics.

I think the crux of that theory was a strong middle class resulting from economic freedom meant that they would naturaly move towards their own wanting of freedom and democracy. That, of course, has been disproven thoroughly now. It followed from political theory regarding the role of the intelligensia and professionals in the USSR.

quote:

I think you could argue that if there's enough economic connection and freedom of movement between two countries, then does it even really matter whether they're officially separate or not? But obviously if you're in the government and see that you can't directly exert your power over an area, that's what matters more to you.
That's what they call a "puppet state", and Russia calling Western allies as "satellites" of the US in the same way Belarus and Kazakhstan are treated kind of speak largely about this projection.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

i fly airplanes posted:

I think the crux of that theory was a strong middle class resulting from economic freedom meant that they would naturaly move towards their own wanting of freedom and democracy. That, of course, has been disproven thoroughly now. It followed from political theory regarding the role of the intelligensia and professionals in the USSR.

This goes far beyond the collapse of the USSR. Nearlly all autocracies in 19th and 20th centuries Europe fell once a large educated middle class developed.

And it is the lack of that educated middle class that has often been pointed at as the reason democacies in South America and Africa have been unstable.

Looking closer to China, one could look at the development of South Korea and Taiwan and say that the same phenomena occured there. As soon as an educated middle class developed there they demanded political power via democratic reforms.

Given what the West knew at that time the bet they made was understandable.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Charlz Guybon posted:

This goes far beyond the collapse of the USSR. Nearlly all autocracies in 19th and 20th centuries Europe fell once a large educated middle class developed.

"Nearly all" is doing such heavy lifting that it may as well be Atlas holding up the earth. Tell me, when did Germany stop being an Autocracy? When did France? When did a whacking great chunk of eastern Europe? Could it be after a world war that leaves millions dead, or after the other world war with millions dead?

The idea that "a large and educated middle class" is what moves areas away from Autocratic styles of governance is so powerfully a-historical reasoning that it may as well be made entirely out of caveats.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/covid-wave-past-its-peak-many-parts-china-state-media-2023-01-10/

Pretty petty. Not to mention China still requires PCR tests to enter the Mainland.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ronya posted:

A meditation on that point:

It's certainly true that the US is prone to making heavy demands of its Asian friends, never mind frenemies - e.g. Japan and the Plaza Accords. In the US, unions perceived this as a triumphant win against a currency manipulator and then promptly forgot about it. In Japan it is a crumbling humiliation that soon triggered a decade of economic disaster. More importantly, the US domestic audience has no idea how it was received, cheerfully doesn't need to know or care, and isn't grateful in the slightest. US unions soon started making the same demands of China in the 2000s.

A good amount of Asia is entirely aware that the US State Department openly planned, in conjunction with the US media, to sponsor democratization amongst its own erstwhile allies the moment they were no longer geopolitically useful. Michael Armacost on the Philippines - "to encourage the democratic forces of the center, then consolidate control by the middle [classes] and also win away the soft support of the NPA [New People's Army, i.e., the today-much-smaller Philippine communist insurgency]... by cueing in to initiatives pushed by the business class and the middle classes... [who] are the ultimate arbiter of succession... So far, so good."

Nonetheless, just because the State Department sponsors democratic change, doesn't mean the target country is helpless - e.g. Singapore simply expelled EM Hendrickson and exiled the politicians associated with him. Japan is still standing and rich. Korea and Taiwan have liberalised and have continued to become rich, liberal societies. You don't have to just sit there and take it, and in the event 'taking it' doesn't seem to be the worst of all possible outcomes, at least in East Asia (no promises for the Middle East or Latin America).

And there must be a certain amount of weakness and dependency before one can be in a position like James Lilley using the USFK to intimidate Chun Doo-Hwan into not ordering soldiers into the campuses (a decade after tacitly permitting the same, according to the varying needs and aims of Washington DC). Lilley was soon then in Beijing harbouring Fang Lizhi after the Tiananmen incident. One doesn't have to be a genius to notice that the US is prone to making steep and sudden demands to democratize and liberalize, with nil regard for sacrifices made in its interests in decades past, according to whatever capricious mood on the Hill - and therefore that one should be extremely cautious about that degree of dependency (especially if it is growing rapidly, as it is in China).

^ cough

It's true that that the middle-class democratization thesis (in its 20th century revival form, not its classical Marxist teleology or earlier) owes heavily to Lipset and other postwar theorists of the new industrial consumer society, but it's also the case that the 'democratic forces of the center' was specifically invoked by senior American officials in the 1980s to motivate US policy toward its East Asian partners and/or allies.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/GeringTuvia/status/1613516116688621572

https://twitter.com/GeringTuvia/status/1613516129489526784

(transcription error: strong then weak)

my balanced/pragmatic is your capricious/fickle, of course - hence signing 25-year agreements one moment and then backing opposing territorial claims the next

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.state.gov/secretary-ant...s-availability/

“We’re working to deepen our cooperation across every realm – land, sea, air, and yes, space, cyber and outer."

Japan and the US deepens military ties as Japan remilitarizes.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/chinadaily/status/1613713454275366919

How on earth did this pass any editorial process

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kind of funny that someone who has never played or even seen a game of billiards in their entire life is trying to use it as a visual metaphor. It's such a horrendously mixed metaphor I don't even know what it is supposed to mean.

E: And if they switched the cue ball and the 8 ball, then the metaphor would be that the US is... doing a good thing and playing properly?

VVV: That's a very generous interpretation that the cartoonist has even the slightest clue how billiards/snooker/pool work.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 13, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I believe the tight pockets an suit wearing arm means the game is snooker. The fact the US is striking the black ball with the cue is likely to symbolize they don't know how to play the game and will sink Asian peace while doing so.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Josef bugman posted:

"Nearly all" is doing such heavy lifting that it may as well be Atlas holding up the earth. Tell me, when did Germany stop being an Autocracy? When did France? When did a whacking great chunk of eastern Europe? Could it be after a world war that leaves millions dead, or after the other world war with millions dead?

The idea that "a large and educated middle class" is what moves areas away from Autocratic styles of governance is so powerfully a-historical reasoning that it may as well be made entirely out of caveats.
Not only that, but Germany was an advanced country (and probably the world's best-educated country at the time) with a large middle class prior to the Nazis taking over. After the Nazis fell, one could argue that there wasn't much of a middle class because there was widespread starvation.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/EmilyZFeng/status/1613288729472389121

one of the puzzles is why the middle-class element of the protest was overwhelmingly female to begin with - possibly, this is a group against which the 白衣人 mobilization of burly men to bumrush and break up rallies has poor optics

observed previously even before the end was known, e.g.

https://twitter.com/AMFChina/status/1603273819245928448
https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1597304348559769604

in vaguely thematic news there's a minor online scandal in Yangzhou that seems solely driven by prurient interest in the woman involved, I'm sorry to say

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it’s possible they have different notions about the sport, but who knows if this is true: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/06/chinese-players-axed-from-top-snooker-tournament-over-match-fixing-crisis.html

Here are some Radio Free Asias to cleanse your palate

e: I thought I was posting in a different thread, hope y’all can have a laugh

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I wouldn't call a couple of racist caricatures a palette cleanser for what is a pretty mild-mannered political cartoon...

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Monarch posted:

I wouldn't call a couple of racist caricatures a palette cleanser for what is a pretty mild-mannered political cartoon...

They’re produced by a Chinese pro-democracy activist named Wang Liming, aka Rebel Pepper, who lives in Washington, DC. He is paid by the US government to make these. In fact, he is the only cartoonist RFA employs. It’s possible that you are funding this activity to some degree, if you live in the US.

His bonafides include substantial artistic expressions against racism in China and elsewhere throughout Asia. Here is an excerpt from his ebook published by Radio Free Asia:

quote:

Cutting and in-depth journalism – as practiced by RFA – empowers people with the facts. But humor and satire are also effective tools for spreading information, while at the same time packing a punch. Radio Free Asia’s resident cartoonist Wang Liming, known by his pen name Rebel Pepper, uses a sharp wit to comment on the most important issues facing East and Southeast Asia today.

Rebel Pepper was born in northwest China’s Xinjiang region, and grew up in Shanghai. As he honed his skills as a cartoonist, he found that his creative expression was often stifled under China’s environment of harsh repression. He went into exile in 2014, and joined RFA in Washington in 2017.

Since then, he has offered his brand of commentary on pressing issues such as the persecution of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, North Korea’s missile testing, corruption in Cambodia and, of course, the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests.

As this collection of cartoons – the second published by Radio Free Asia – puts on display, Rebel Pepper most often uses his pen to offer sharp critiques of China’s Communist Party – deeply felt attitudes that largely go unspoken in mainland China.

He has targeted, among other topics, the threat to Hong Kong’s autonomy, the repression of Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang, and China’s growing influence in Southeast Asia.

His work has not gone unnoticed by those at the center of some of the very events he depicts. Demonstrators in Hong Kong proudly raised placards and printed-out copies of Rebel Pepper’s drawings.

The 60 cartoons in this compilation represent some of the best of Rebel Pepper’s recent work for RFA. They are a testament to his knack for using imagery, humor and irony in his artwork to expose the feelings of outrage and discontent that RFA’s audiences are so often unable to express. We are proud to
share them with you.

It sounds like he’s pretty popular with people actually impacted by oppression in China.

Spice World War II posted:

Pretty elaborate bit...

People change. When the CCP eliminated COVID Zero I had to do a lot of thinking about where I stand.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 14, 2023

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

They’re produced by a Chinese pro-democracy activist named Wang Liming, aka Rebel Pepper, who lives in Washington, DC. He is paid by the US government to make these. In fact, he is the only cartoonist RFA employs. It’s possible that you are funding this activity to some degree, if you live in the US.

His bonafides include substantial artistic expressions against racism in China and elsewhere throughout Asia. Here is an excerpt from his ebook published by Radio Free Asia:

It sounds like he’s pretty popular with people actually impacted by oppression in China.

Pretty elaborate bit...

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

It sounds like he's a US funded anti-communist propagandist. Not really sure how that text shows that those cartoons aren't racist, or that he is "pretty popular" amongst Chinese people.

In what thread is stuff like that posted as a palette cleanser?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I don't understand how those cartoons are racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

The Monarch posted:

It sounds like he's a US funded anti-communist propagandist. Not really sure how that text shows that those cartoons aren't racist, or that he is "pretty popular" amongst Chinese people.

In what thread is stuff like that posted as a palette cleanser?

I'm assuming the political cartoons thread. But that being said I have some trouble seeing where the racism comes in, and I'm Taiwanese myself. Doesn't seem much more exaggerated than, say, George Bush with giant elephant ears.