Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

God's name, it was a joke about becoming a sucker and the fact that you "suck" the air from the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Please ensure incidental bones are logged under the appropriate cost code.

Yeah I find the moment I have a camera I go into 100% pokemon mode where every cool thing MUST BE CAPTURED to show people in the bar who don't care

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Everything is star dust, Jon.

SuitcasePimp posted:

You could just put the Oceanic octo on there as a stopgap.... it probably works fine enough for octo purposes. I mean, test it of course before your buddy actually needs it and make sure it doesn't free flow. Or just go full FYGM and remove it, who are they anyway trying to take your air?

The Aqualung set hasn't arrived yet and was serviced 2 weeks ago, so I think it'll be fine. The Oceanic octopus cover is the one that fell to pieces, and I just found a thread elsewhere with people complaining about exactly that. A poster there also made a 3D printed cover, so I reached out to them and will try to print one. Wish me luck!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah I find the moment I have a camera I go into 100% pokemon mode where every cool thing MUST BE CAPTURED to show people in the bar who don't care

Thatís why I have an Instagram*

*that I havenít posted dive pics on in years, because itís been that long since I dove with a camera :smith: itís all shorebirds and beach pics right now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I mostly take pictures of my dive mates because then at least the person in the picture will be happy.

Then they'll show those pictures to other people who don't care. :v:

But yeah most of the stuff I take under water ends up on a USB hard drive and never looked at.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Leandros posted:

The Aqualung set hasn't arrived yet and was serviced 2 weeks ago, so I think it'll be fine. The Oceanic octopus cover is the one that fell to pieces, and I just found a thread elsewhere with people complaining about exactly that. A poster there also made a 3D printed cover, so I reached out to them and will try to print one. Wish me luck!

Aqualung just arrived, and the purge cover is cracked here too :v: but the plastic doesn't seem like a weird non-rubber elastic that will crumble, I think it just cracked under abuse. No biggie I think, but the 2nd stage does allow for breathing (albeit with some difficulty) while not pressurised. I removed the diaphragm cover and the diaphragm seems to be incorrectly installed/dislodged (on the right):

Is this something I can fix myself? Considering this diaphragm is held in place by this weird combed ring, I assume it's a bit less trivial than the Oceanic one.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

This is a bad idea. Are you seriously considering servicing a piece of life support equipment as a brand new diver? I can't even fathom this thought.

But seriously, you got some cheap Regs. And don't be surprised they are crap. Scuba is not cheap. Go buy some better regs. If you can't afford it scuba might not be for you.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Used regulators serviced by someone who knows what they're doing are perfectly safe. Don't mess with them yourself unless you're trained for it.

I wouldn't do anything more complicated than swap hoses and I've been diving a long time.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Your regs, tanks, and BCD are life support equipment. Treat them like it.

I keep a Google sheets log for my gear and MrsYenkoís gear. Date serviced, next date due, and a great big go/no-go indicator for each of us. Currently red, because weíre lame and have no time.

If you have a genuine need to learn to service your own gear (remote site diving, etc,) ask your instructor or dive shop if anyone is offering a gear maintenance course. PADI offers one that I wouldnít trust personally, but itís better than nothing at all.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

Your regs, tanks, and BCD are life support equipment. Treat them like it.

I keep a Google sheets log for my gear and MrsYenko’s gear. Date serviced, next date due, and a great big go/no-go indicator for each of us. Currently red, because we’re lame and have no time.

If you have a genuine need to learn to service your own gear (remote site diving, etc,) ask your instructor or dive shop if anyone is offering a gear maintenance course. PADI offers one that I wouldn’t trust personally, but it’s better than nothing at all.

Agreed. It's literal life support equipment. The repairs and maintenance are actually very easy to perform if you have the right tools and training. I've done my share of rebuilding poo poo that's much more complicated and finicky. I worked on underwater robotics for a decade, and build deep sea cameras/oceanographic systems for a living. I have a huge shop filled with every tool imaginable. I'm an avid DIY'er. I've watched my SCUBA tech work on my gear. It's not hard, certainly not for the very basic Sherwood stuff I dive.

Guess what? I don't service my regs. It's cheap insurance to have the shop rebuild them every year (if we're going diving).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

sharkytm posted:

the right tools and training.

The OSHA thread is full of people posting pics of others that had maybe one of these things, but probably not.

If youíre only doing it for yourself, itís not worth the 1 or 2 practices you get every year on your own regs. The training programs + experience of tearing down and rebuilding hundreds (probably not an exaggeration) of regs for an active shop canít be easily quantified, but paying some dollars gets you that experience.

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Icon Of Sin posted:

If youíre only doing it for yourself, itís not worth the 1 or 2 practices you get every year on your own regs. The training programs + experience of tearing down and rebuilding hundreds (probably not an exaggeration) of regs for an active shop canít be easily quantified, but paying some dollars gets you that experience.

Itís not even a lot of dollars. I think my shop charges $25 plus parts for regs, and the same for a BCD cleaning/inspection.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

The OSHA thread is full of people posting pics of others that had maybe one of these things, but probably not.

There is an osha thread?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

There is an osha thread?

1087 pages right now, and itís the 4th iteration.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1087

e: probably the best thread in GBS (no irony). People from across all sorts of industries talking about fuckups in their industries, and how to not become one of those fuckups.

Also, the truckfucklers gang tag was born there :laffo:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 3, 2021

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Relax goons, as I said, I didn't feel comfortable doing it myself. I went to a shop and the dude just unscrewed the retaining ring by hand, reseated the diaphragm and fastened everything again. Checked it for leaks and all is well. It's not like I would've opened up the first stage or hosed around with the other components, but these steps aren't very complicated.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

lord1234 posted:

This is a bad idea. Are you seriously considering servicing a piece of life support equipment as a brand new diver? I can't even fathom this thought.

But seriously, you got some cheap Regs. And don't be surprised they are crap. Scuba is not cheap. Go buy some better regs. If you can't afford it scuba might not be for you.

This is 💯 accurate.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Just got back from two weeks in Bonaire, felt good to be back in the water with the fishes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ropes4u posted:

Just got back from two weeks in Bonaire, felt good to be back in the water with the fishes.

We were there 2 years ago. Everything has changed so much in our lives that it feels like a lifetime ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Iím looking to go back at some point, when COVID is less stupid ( :smith: ) and I can wrangle a group to go back with.

I havenít been on a dive boat in nearly 2 years, even thinking of one brings me back to being seasick all over again. Itís all shore diving for me, for now.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We are headed back in May/June for another trip. Itís a beautiful place to dive but I think we have decided to skip moving there and instead visit for 3-12 month trips in retirement, maybe work there for a year to complete an internship.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Weíre about to go to Cozumel which is dumb given that we only dive in the Caribbean and at home but I do want a toadfish picture so gently caress it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

let it mellow posted:

Weíre about to go to Cozumel which is dumb given that we only dive in the Caribbean and at home but I do want a toadfish picture so gently caress it.

What is dumb about going to Cozumel?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

What is dumb about going to Cozumel?

Itís a cruise ship port. We usually donít do that kind of thing but itís an easy flight so here we go. I am looking forward to finding toadfish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

let it mellow posted:

Itís a cruise ship port. We usually donít do that kind of thing but itís an easy flight so here we go. I am looking forward to finding toadfish!

A friend loves it there, we are firmly in the Bonaire shore diving crowd and struggling to go anywhere else. I have committed to looking for a live aboard but to be honest the prices are scaring me away.