Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bishop posted:

Doing non standard kicks like the frog kick or modified flutter kick are also easier.

Is there somewhere good where I can check out what these different types of kick styles are, because im pretty sure the most instruction I got was "kick with your thighs, not your calves" and thats about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Monofins are almost all uncomfortable but can be extremely powerful if you know how to dolphin swim well. But most people dont. It takes a very fluid and flexible movement.

Longblade Freediving fins are far superior to scuba fins in performance, but nearly incapable of certain things like frog kicks. Also a lot more fin to manage. Terrible for wrecks and tight spots and slow controlled frog kicky dives. But If someone scuba dives in strong currents often and doesn't have, or atleast consider a decent pair of longblade fins they are crazy. Scuba fins are like wearing rocks on your feet comparatively. Heres my carbon fiber longblade fins. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I've always found the dolphin the least useful swimming style, compounded by the fact that it doesn't offer any real advantage over any other style. I suppose monofins are good for the snowflakes that really, really love dolphin.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Is there somewhere good where I can check out what these different types of kick styles are, because im pretty sure the most instruction I got was "kick with your thighs, not your calves" and thats about it.

Wikipedia or Youtube, but if you want to learn you have to get wet.
Our warm up before the actual diving lesson began consisted of crawl and frog kick, so you might want to learn those first if you want to dive. I'm a decent/good swimmer and I didn't have any problem, but those that couldn't frog well needed a couple of extra sessions to learn. It's not a hard style and it's pretty efficient.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
IFTF, I agree with you with everything except not being able to frog kick. I have the picasso black team fins and frog kick all the time. Granted, these fins are plastic and not carbon fibre.

I had to wreck dive with them once. Bad idea.

Frogmanv2 posted:

you can look up whip kick for swimming videos. Proper swimming technique will help when kicking with fins.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

A really good dolphin kick and mono-fin does actually offer a lot to a freediver. Not only can a monofin be huge. But a full body proper kick can be more powerful. Most CWT freediving records (constant weight with fins) are set with monofins.

Bangkero posted:

IFTF, I agree with you with everything except not being able to frog kick. I have the picasso black team fins and frog kick all the time. Granted, these fins are plastic and not carbon fibre.

I had to wreck dive with them once. Bad idea.

you can look up whip kick for swimming videos. Proper swimming technique will help when kicking with fins.

Its not the carbon fiber. Its the water channeling rails. Good freediving fins have rails all the way down them to prevent "slippage" in the water. Slippage is when the blade slides sidways through the water instead of up and down like its supposed to. Fins want to take the path of least resistance so fins without rails extending past the footpocket want to go sideways in the direction your fins are leaning. This is compounded by how hard you're kicking usually.

Rails like these are used to prevent slippage and make your kicking fluid and flat and more comfortable. The side effects is that when you try to move them from side to side they fight back. Making the return on a frog kick painful and annoying. YMMV depending on the fin, but longblades shine with a nice clean flutter kick.

Heres some video of me diving looe key off big pine key during mini season. Some shots of my big rear end fins flailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXRdyxUf9E

Biggest thing everyone does wrong as a newbie is they bicycle kick. Your knees should never be getting closer to your chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7JaJZ9D-jk

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 12, 2013

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
that makes sense and never realized that - the only long fins I've tried have rails extending from the foot pocket and only go part way up the sides.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Frogmanv2 posted:

I'd also say youtube is the best place to go look unless you have someone teach them to you. I'm 90% a frog kicker (1) because it's the easiest non silting kick that also generates a decent amount of power. In an area where I don't have much horizontal space to work with I'll do the modified flutter kick (2). I'll also sometimes switch to the modified flutter to work different muscle groups while swimming around in open water to avoid cramping and conserve energy. The back kick (3) is an awesome thing to have in your pocket, but to be honest it took me a month or so before I really "got it". Once it clicked though I've felt like it's one of my better kicks. Then there's the helicopter kick for when you want to rotate on your axis. (4) It's kind of like doing a back kick with one leg and a modified flutter with the other. These kicks are all designed to throw the water upwards instead of towards the sand and silt, and also notice how they bend their knees and keep their fins high the entire time. The flutter kick is the one that generates the most power and is still something you should use when needed, although it does direct more water downwards and I prefer the frog unless I'm really fighting the current.

This is just something that takes practice but you don't necessarily have to be doing overhead for them to be useful. For instance if you want to get in real close on a coral head you might want to be back kicking or doing random tuning kicks so you can hold a stable position, and you are also probably close to the sand. It also minimizes the chance that you actually kick a piece of coral or whatever.

One thing that really helped me with my fin technique was being videotaped underwater and having the instructor show me my form. Turns out I was keeping my fins much lower than I thought I was. You cant see your own fin position (unless they are pointed almost straight downwards), so it's good to at least have someone else observe you.

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFBmZ1g16H8
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J42y0hxVd1s
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgEkBn35TAE
4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCVZTTzm_s

E: looking at that frog kick video, the guy is doing closer to what I'd call a modified frog kick, where you move your legs less. It's fine to go wider than that and generate more power.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 12, 2013

micron
Nov 15, 2005

I need some recommendations for a dive computer and pressure gauge for a used reg I purchased from an instuctor.

Looking at some on LeisurePro it seems they're just over 200 dollars or so (all incorporated in a console). Should I be looking at a wrist mount with a separate pressure gauge? I'd also like it to include an nitrox feature.

Hows this for example?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aerxrnxc/aeris-xr1-nx-2-gauge-computer-console

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just bookmarked these videos Bishop, they're awesome. Thanks!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

micron posted:

I need some recommendations for a dive computer and pressure gauge for a used reg I purchased from an instuctor.

Looking at some on LeisurePro it seems they're just over 200 dollars or so (all incorporated in a console). Should I be looking at a wrist mount with a separate pressure gauge? I'd also like it to include an nitrox feature.

Hows this for example?

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aerxrnxc/aeris-xr1-nx-2-gauge-computer-console

Theres a few options of computers. The cheaper ones (like the xr1) are NOT air integrated, even though that one sits in the console. The XR1 also comes in a wrist mounted unit, so don't make the beginner mistake of thinking that if its in a console you'll get a digital readout of your air.

Since thats the case, its all personal preference. I think its more comfy to just look at my wrist than it is to whip out my console. Even though i have a compass on my console, I use a wrist mounted unit just because its comfier. If you do want a digital readout of your air, you're going to want an air integrated computer, but its gonna be a bit more than 200 dollars. That XR1 is also pretty drat beginner of a computer. It will do what you need it to do safely, but its super barebones and you'll probably outgrow it fairly quickly if you start diving a lot. If you bump up your budget a bit to the 400 dollar range, thats where the quality dive computers start to come in. The TUSA IQ 900, Scubapro ALADIN 25, Oceanic VEO 3.0, etc. The suunto ZOOP is also a great intro computer for around 300 bucks.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Crunkjuice posted:

Theres a few options of computers. The cheaper ones (like the xr1) are NOT air integrated, even though that one sits in the console. The XR1 also comes in a wrist mounted unit, so don't make the beginner mistake of thinking that if its in a console you'll get a digital readout of your air.

Since thats the case, its all personal preference. I think its more comfy to just look at my wrist than it is to whip out my console. Even though i have a compass on my console, I use a wrist mounted unit just because its comfier. If you do want a digital readout of your air, you're going to want an air integrated computer, but its gonna be a bit more than 200 dollars. That XR1 is also pretty drat beginner of a computer. It will do what you need it to do safely, but its super barebones and you'll probably outgrow it fairly quickly if you start diving a lot. If you bump up your budget a bit to the 400 dollar range, thats where the quality dive computers start to come in. The TUSA IQ 900, Scubapro ALADIN 25, Oceanic VEO 3.0, etc. The suunto ZOOP is also a great intro computer for around 300 bucks.

So with a non air integrated computer the benefits are:
1) Alarms for safety stops
2) Ease of use comparing analog vs a quick look at something on your wrist.
3) ?

I think I'll look into that Suunto and a cheap analog air pressure and compass. I have a really nice Omega dive watch coming but that maybe not needed, welp. At least I'll be fashionable!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

micron posted:

So with a non air integrated computer the benefits are:
1) Alarms for safety stops
2) Ease of use comparing analog vs a quick look at something on your wrist.
3) ?

I think I'll look into that Suunto and a cheap analog air pressure and compass. I have a really nice Omega dive watch coming but that maybe not needed, welp. At least I'll be fashionable!

The benefit of a wrist mounted computer versus a console mounted computer is that the wrist unit is easier to look at than the console, not analog. BOTH styles (wrist and console) can be air integrated, but they are much more expensive and more advanced.

You said you wanted nitrox, so the only other decisions you really need to make are "wrist versus console" and "air integrated vs non air integrated". From there you will narrow down your selection/prices and can make a more informed decision.

In the day and age of computers, dive watches are indeed not needed but gently caress are they cool in their own right, so don't feel bad for having one. They are indeed fashionable, and frankly, a backup timing device if your computer fails underwater.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Alrighty, dive computer and gauges done.

Last step is a BC.

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-tbtj38/tusa-platina-evolution-bcd-black-bcj-3860

I'd like to stay around 250 USD. I'd like incorporated weights but talking to the "Northern guys" they honestly don't give a poo poo.?? Are most North Eastern Divers, Tec divers just out of environment?

Also the "Instructor" I bought some equipment from said the St. Lawrence seaway is honestly really good for fresh water. Zebra Mussels have moved in I guess and made it pretty clear\fun.

I think the big problem with a 250 USD limit is I'm from NY and honestly most of my "Have fun" dives will be local (Dutch Springs). If you run around in 80 Degree water it really doesn't matter. But being a Northern guy I'd expect to lean more to cold water stuff.

I picked up a henderson 7mm farmer john and 7mm jacket, Holy gently caress I cant touch my toes...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'd personally look for a back inflate style BCD. Having used both a jacket style and back inflate style, I vastly prefer the back inflate. It's a lot easier to stay flat and level underwater with them. Also weight integrated is a big plus if you can find it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

rockcity posted:

I'd personally look for a back inflate style BCD. Having used both a jacket style and back inflate style, I vastly prefer the back inflate. It's a lot easier to stay flat and level underwater with them. Also weight integrated is a big plus if you can find it.

Everything in this post is right. Plus you want trim pockets, and make sure your integrated weights are buckles and not something proprietary.

Also modified bike kick 4 lyfe. And I need advice. Is a go pro better than a point and shoot? We are two weeks away from the Keys and a few months from Belize and the Blue Hole. If I'm going to take a gopro to the blue hole I want to practice with it first. So tell me... What camera do I want?

E: guess I should get a gopro so we can critique my technique. That would actually own. Do I need a red filter? I'm thinking yes.

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

make sure your integrated weights are buckles and not something proprietary.

I disagree with this. It should be a very quick explanation to your dive buddy during your predive safety check about your weights. As long as its quick release of some sort, it will be fine. Sometimes proprietary integrated weight systems are faster than those with buckles. zeagle rip cord system. also, their trim weight pockets are dumpable too

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Crunkjuice posted:

I disagree with this. It should be a very quick explanation to your dive buddy during your predive safety check about your weights. As long as its quick release of some sort, it will be fine. Sometimes proprietary integrated weight systems are faster than those with buckles. zeagle rip cord system. also, their trim weight pockets are dumpable too

So, a major proprietary integrated weight system that my my wife and I almost bought had a recall. A goon LDS owner pointed us to another system and that was a good call by him. We dove with a couple that had that system in our Turks and Caicos trip; they had a replacement coming after the trip but had no idea what format it would take and had to hold their main weights in when slowing down or taking a negative attitude.

I know you are more experienced than me, but I still say take the tried buckles over that system. I suppose the single plastic clicker is nice, but when it fails....

Oh, got it. sure lock

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 14, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Ahhh, the old aqualung surelock 2 shenanigans im guessing. That was pretty bad, but the new designs are pretty solid from my experience. Our dive shop runs Aqualung Axiom's for all training gear and i haven't heard of a single failure yet from this season. Not to say i wouldn't be gunshy of them if i witnessed a failure.

A buddy of mine bought a brand new aqualung I3 bcd in like 2009 when we did our rescue class, and i poo poo you not halfway through the first dive the i3 handle failed in the open flow position and it took me holding on to him, and my instructor holding on to me to slow him down before he pulled the lp hose off. To this day i refuse to dive an i3 system. And yes, all of our aqualung bcd's for training use standard inflator hoses, not i3's.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Unless there have been developments on this front, GoPros usually need a separate, special underwater housing because the stock one doesn't handle refraction all too well.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
So it was the same thing that we wee thinking of, and that couple regretted ever buying it.

Funny thing is that I was enamored by the i3, my wife thought it was just a fad, so nope. Good job by her!

E:^^^. Yeah they do, but I'm more worried about red shift and strobe.

E2: also focus in a thing like the blue hole

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 14, 2013

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.

Trivia posted:

Unless there have been developments on this front, GoPros usually need a separate, special underwater housing because the stock one doesn't handle refraction all too well.

This changed at least a year (or two ago?).. All GoPro now come stock with flat lens on housing allowing them to focus underwater.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

macado posted:

This changed at least a year (or two ago?).. All GoPro now come stock with flat lens on housing allowing them to focus underwater.

This started with the 3, the 2 still had the bubble plastic housing.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Maldives trip is booked, and I'm gonna do AOW + a day of fun dives in September. Woot.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Crunkjuice posted:

Hell yeah, the Zeagle system owns for quick dumping. I use a Zeagle Silhouette for my BCD and I love it. Super minimal for a BCD, not really much more fluff than a BPW setup, just the two dumpable weight pockets, two trim weight pockets and two small pockets in front of the weights. Nothing fancy and it's durable as hell. That and :fsmug:

And as far as the GoPro goes, you really don't need to practice with it. It's just sort of a set it and forget it type of camera. It's super wide angle so you barely have to even aim it. I've worn mine head mounted and I also rigged up a quick handle mount out of a slingshot with the arm brace to steady the camera. I also made it so that you can mount a flashlight in-line with it for light too, but because the field of view is so wide, the flashlight just looks like a spotlight in the center of the video. I need to find a really wide angle video light that would fit in the holder.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 15, 2013

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Yeah I am taking my GoPro out with me the first time this weekend I just need to figure out what I wanna do for mounting. I may just grab a golf club shaft and rig something out of that so I can hold it forward a bit for getting into hard to reach places.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Gindack posted:

Yeah I am taking my GoPro out with me the first time this weekend I just need to figure out what I wanna do for mounting. I may just grab a golf club shaft and rig something out of that so I can hold it forward a bit for getting into hard to reach places.
Mounting it on a shaft is also good for self shots. If you get the bike mount you can put the GoPro on any cylinder shaft. I used the bike mount with a broom handle and it worked great for me when snowboarding.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I've seen a ton of people with gopros mounted on 2-3ft polls of one sort or another.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

I've seen a ton of people with gopros mounted on 2-3ft polls of one sort or another.

Yeah, this is what most people using my dive clubs GoPro camera use. It's essentially a lobster tickle stick with a tripod thread mount on the end.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
I got The Bobber for my new Hero3 Black after losing my friend's Hero2 at manadao last month, so that if it somehow slips off my hand it'll at least float up. A plus point is that I was apparently easy to spot with a bright yellow dildo in my hand.

For reference, this was Hero 2 footage from manado with no filter, holding the camera in my hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2omXNzRxVvA

Hero3 footage with a red filter that was thrown into the package, filmed diving The Igara wreck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UODEKaCKXFU

Sorry I didn't do any editing, just converting and uploading them. Everyone on the dive was really surprised with the gopro+filter footage because it somehow seemed that the vis was better when looking at the video as compared to what we were actually seeing underwater.

Somemore Hero3+filter footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxaiTIbVt5w

raffie fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 17, 2013

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

If you wan to shoot video you can't beat a gopro for the price. If you want to shoot pictures an iPhone or maybe even an old flip camera phone in a housing will do better. The pics just suck. Gopros are also nearly impossible to Frame unless you have an LCD backpack which kills the bat. Or you dive with it a lot.

Poles and handles are good for gopros because they give you a better sense of where its being pointed.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Seconded on the lcd pack killing the battery, my next trip i'll be using the gopro without the lcd. I'm only thinking of getting the red filter+flipping macro attachment that is being advertised on scubaboard. I wonder how the pictures will turn out when shooting with a narrow FOV.

Saw A Dog Die
Feb 11, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good place to get open water certified in the Space Coast area? I'm in Titusville, but I'm willing to drive. Also is there any halfway decent places to dive here? I always here to drive to Jupiter, is there nowhere closer?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Saw A Dog Die posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to get open water certified in the Space Coast area? I'm in Titusville, but I'm willing to drive. Also is there any halfway decent places to dive here? I always here to drive to Jupiter, is there nowhere closer?

I hear Venus is quite nice this time of year, and it should be a shorter trip than out to Jupiter.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Saw A Dog Die posted:

Dive and Surf World in East Orlando. Luis, the owner, is awesome.

Saw A Dog Die
Feb 11, 2008

rockcity posted:

Dive and Surf World in East Orlando. Luis, the owner, is awesome.

I work right by this place, thanks! They do NAUI certification it says. Hows this different/better/worse than PADI?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Saw A Dog Die posted:

I work right by this place, thanks! They do NAUI certification it says. Hows this different/better/worse than PADI?

It doesn't really matter. In terms of a recreational diver, it doesn't effect you at all. The shop/instructor is way more important than the certifying agency.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

This started with the 3, the 2 still had the bubble plastic housing.

No. GoPro released an updated flat lens housing for the GoPro Hero 2 before the Hero 3 was released. You are correct that the original Hero 2 came with bubble lens but GoPro released a newer housing for the Hero 2.

You can use GoPro's official flat lens housing for the Hero 2 or the many different lens modifications made by different companies out there.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

Had a great weekend of diving in Rhode Island. No video or pictures since my GoPro flooded in Maine a few weeks ago but figured I'd share. Similiar dive conditions to Boston but water temperatures are super warm.

Dove the U-853 off Block Island out of Point Judith, RI on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday
Dive #1 Max depth: 118ft Runtime: 70 minutes Water temp: 54F Also saw 4-5 leather back turtles on surface. 10ft visibility. I would have done a 2nd dive but I didn't know the boat captain would let me bring a 2nd set of doubles so I opted for one long dive.

Sunday
Dive #2 Max depth: 123ft Runtime: 75 minutes Water temp: 55F. Did a nice penetration dive on wreck. 10-15ft visibility with more ambient light than the day before.
Dive #3 Max depth: 119ft Runtime: 56 minutes Water temp: 55F 3-10ft visibility. A bunch of rebreather divers from another boat were inside the wreck and sort of mucked up the visibility digging for stuff. I opted to stay outside on this dive. Too many people inside and I don't know the wreck well enough.

Monday
Dive #4 Crane and Barge Wreck. Max depth: 56ft, 58 minutes. Water temperature 68F (warm!). Switched to wetsuit diving. Nice little wreck with tons of tautog and stripers. 10-15ft visibility.
Dive #5 Castle Hill Island drift dive. Max depth: 70ft, 52 minutes Water temperature 67F. Tons of marine life, lots of tautog, found a couple other bottles. 15-25ft visibility.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
I was so excited for this past weekend, packed the night before, got to bed early with a smile on my face. When I wake up my allergies have decided to launch a preemptive strike on my plans for fun and I cant clear my ears for the life of me. Even after taking sudafed I was still stuffed up so I had to thumb it.

Guess the good news I don't have to pack for the next trip out.

More awesomely I am doing the underwater clean up at Lake Travis in September. Going with my LDS and we are assigned to where the party barges normally go take customers, so hoping I find someones sunglasses or wallet.

But with my luck Im gonna find a bright lime green dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

macado posted:

No. GoPro released an updated flat lens housing for the GoPro Hero 2 before the Hero 3 was released. You are correct that the original Hero 2 came with bubble lens but GoPro released a newer housing for the Hero 2.

You can use GoPro's official flat lens housing for the Hero 2 or the many different lens modifications made by different companies out there.

I don't think he was implying that one didn't exist, just that the Hero 3 came with a flat lens housing, the Hero 2 it was a separate housing you had to purchase. For the record, I own a Hero 2 and the dive housing and it's awesome. GoPro is far and away the best bang for your buck for dive video.