Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I just have my final dive class for Open Water tomorrow and they've been pushing the advanced open water class for an extra 200 bucks if you sign up by the end of the class. Is there really much bigger of a deal from going from 60 to 100 feet?

I'm considering doing it, considering the fact that for 200 bucks, that's only an extra 50 bucks considering you get like 5 dives out of it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Kaal posted:

I'd say that you both have very valid perspectives. The advanced course isn't particularly advanced, and it is something that is quite doable by someone fresh from OW1. But if you aren't feeling relatively comfortable in the water by the end of your Open Water training, I'd hesitate about attempting a deep dive. I think that the advanced course is great at turning a middling newbie diver into a more experienced and confident one. They say that most dive accidents occur within your first 10 dives, and performing those dives under the watchful eye of a Divemaster seems like a good idea to me. But if you're still experiencing anxiety or having difficulty performing CESAs and other required techniques, then it might be better to do some more dives with an experienced buddy that can give you their full attention.

I think I'll end up signing up, if for nothing more than the free dives out of it. I live in the middle of the country normally, so who knows when I'll get another work trip to somewhere I can scuba for months.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

eviljelly posted:

I did my Advanced Open Water right after my Open Water and I'm glad I did because I was traveling onward to places where I wanted to dive but training would've been expensive, but I think it's a bad idea to sign up for the AOW before you've even had your first dive. I agree that there's nothing special about the skills you learn in the AOW course, but there's a very slight chance you might be one of those people who freak the gently caress out underwater, or maybe you can't equalize worth poo poo, or whatever. It'd be a bummer to lose the AOW course money if it turns out that you aren't cut out to be a diver.

The place I'm going though doesn't make you pay till you do your final dive. It's pretty drat nice.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

eviljelly posted:

lol then of course you should do it. Good decision!

I got my "cert" today. Signed up for advanced, starting this friday with a 100 foot dive.

We did the CESA ascent and our first "skill" and it was super choppy up top and when I went to breath in air into the BCD, I got about half a gallon of salt water into my lungs. Good times.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I saw an spotted eagle ray yesterday. SO COOL! I followed it around for about a minute before it started getting too far out from the reef. I wish my camera case came in.

I sadly had to cancel my night dive for tonight because of work. Last one I need before I'm an advanced open water diver. I do have to say I was disappointed with the wreck dive I did here. Not even exaggerating, It took 1000 psi to get down to the site, and we literally stayed there for 45 seconds before we had to swim back an alternate route.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

So pretty and so invasive.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

If you have the means, always kill every one you see. Its not gonna help a ton. But its better then nothing.

On this island, they make you have some sort of permit to do it. I just got my AOW, and I don't feel like putting another 150 bucks down so I can stab a slow moving fish.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I have a bit of a deviated septum and a bit of always congestion going on, and since I've started doing sinus rinses, it's helped a shitload.

Is it both ears? In the class I learned that if you turn your head away from the side that you're having problems and clearing to stretch out the tubes, it helps.

Since getting certified, I've been on like 15 dives so far... and I still have two months left of this work trip. I'm going to hate going back to nebraska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ajt8zNyk14

Saw this guy at the end of my last dive. I used like 200 PSI trying to chase him down.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bM_71XCzc

Sea Turtles, so drat cool.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The one night dive I did was pretty neat. It wasn't nearly that dark, but we turned off all the lights at the end and if you moved, the bioluminesence of the algae or whatever is soo coool.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Night Dive tomorrow. Should be fun. Kinda pissed they won't let us go without someone from the dive shop, making it cost about twice as much per person...

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Night Dives rule!

Anyone have a good recommendation for a light?

Took this photo tonight. Saw 3 octopus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Crunkjuice posted:

what's your budget?

50 bucks? Reasonable? I can bump it up a bit if needed.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Big Taint posted:

I just bought this, a Princeton Tec Torrent LED. I haven't gotten it in the water yet, but it's BRIGHT. $40.

Did you buy it locally? I didn't see a spot to buy it on there.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
CUTTLEFISH MANIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSE92dq9H8s

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone have any idea what the hell this guy is?

In Caribbean.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

pupdive posted:

Not to be confrontational, but the first thing to think about before becoming an instructor is that we really do not need any more instructors who already know everything teaching. We have more than enough of those, and that is the reason why we cannot get octopus's moved to the left side of rental gear, and why we still have tank valves turned back, and why we are still training with snorkels, etc. etc. Because we are tied to the way things used to be, for largely no good reasons other than inertia.

Can you explain the Snorkel thing or the valve thing?

I already know the Snorkel thing is pretty usefull when you are having to swim out to a dropoff and prevents you from getting a mouthful of salt water.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Reel Cleanup Day today! Free dive for the local dive shop to pick up a bunch of beer bottles or whatever.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I love that Eel pic.

The other day I was diving and I saw this ugly rear end fish swim right at my head, then turn 90 degrees and settle on some rocks, and I realized it was a stone fish.

Oh, I made the top 8 for the PADI debris contest. Vote for my entry if you guys like it. Not sure if any other goons entered or not. You need a facebook account obviously.

https://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/contests/286700/voteable_entries/57703481

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone have any thoughts on the lower end dive computers? I've been eyeing the Cressi Leonardo.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Do you have an aversion to buying used? Dive gear depreciates alot.

No. I've been looking on ebay, but it's been pretty much poo poo for this.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Tomberforce posted:

Must be 40 metres?

Yea it's at about 120 feet right now, with a danger of it slider further down.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Guess I just got a Cressi Leonardo off of ebay for 100 bucks cheaper than retail, brand new, no other bidders. Hope it works well.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Bishop posted:

"Boat Diver" has always been my favorite PADI specility course. Yeah I understand there are plenty of people who mainly shore dive lakes or off beaches and they might gain some stuff from it, but an entire class about diving off of a boat? :catdrugs:

Underwater photography is even worse.

Uhhh... Your colors may be off, fix them later. K thanks.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone have a recommendation or opinion on a dive knife vs just a pair of EMT shears?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Am I missing something in that story? Did she use a different regulator for the pool training than the open water?

Also that story made me want to go dive with some sea otters.

I'm kinda glad that my first Open Water dive was a "no skill" dive. We did a pool session for the basic skills, then went out to the ocean, where we were told to just work on our buoyancy and breathing and how the equipment worked on like a 30' dive.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 20, 2013

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Crunkjuice posted:

The entire class was using the same regulator setup. Every single hose, for whatever reason, was crossing the tank valve in the back. It was absolutely retarded. He was a terrible instructor.

I was talking about the long story, but your story was just as bad. I'm glad my instructors were all dutch.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FluffyDice posted:

I'd love to learn to dive as my dad and uncle are very into it and have all the training qualifications. I've been a bit worried about pressure building up in my ears though. I find I can't clear them at all under water and have them block up at least once a year. This is apparently due to having longer than normal hairs in my ear canals but I'm wondering how this would affect diving.

Would this be a big problem if I went diving or is there any way I can solve the issue?

The thing is, it's a bitch to clear them if you are talking about in a pool with a breath of air in your lungs.

It's so much easier when you can take your time and breath to do it.

My business trip got cancelled to the Caribbean :emo:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

jackyl posted:

Here's an interesting article on the lionfish problem.

That is amazing. I haven't seen anything like that in Caribbean, but they are still a common enough sight as is killing them and trying to feed them to eels (which I've heard described (maybe even here??) as a dubious strategy, since all it teaches the eels is that a nice diver will bring a dead lionfish to you for dinner). But the numbers thrown around in this article are mind-boggling, especially with the amount they eat and the impact that has on the reefs they move into. Guess its time to join the hunt next time I go south to dive.

I know in the far south Caribbean, they're loving everywhere. They went from a somewhat rare sight about 4 years ago, to be in literally every single hole you look in, and at night they're everywhere.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How do you guys hold crap with bp/wings? Like a waterproof wallet or something.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

jackyl posted:

OK, got around to editing some of the better pictures.

We also saw turtles on multiple dives

What it looks like when you're about to drop into the Blue Hole:

Me at ~135 and in the Blue Hole.

What the Blue Hole looks like from the surface

Sorry if I missed it, but which Blue hole?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone been through ed Robinsons scuba in Maui? I'll be pretty close to them this winter.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
It doesn't matter how you do it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Got back from Maui a week ago, had a fun time.

Unfortunately the shoreline was pretty much wrecked with surf the whole time I was there, so my beach/night dives got cancelled, but I did get to go out on boat dives quite a few times, but the surf did ruin a few of the sites so ended up doing the crater more times than I would have liked. Even got to do the "back wall" which a ton of the companies were calling an "advanced" dive for some reason.

Hearing whales under the water is so cool.

Ending up doing most of my dives with Mike Severns Diving. I was incredibly impressed by them, their staff really gives a poo poo and loves showing off fish behaviors. They do use weight belts though for their rental equipment which I don't enjoy but whatever.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 24, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Got my trip booked for Cozumel in January with Blue Magic Scuba. Hope it's fun.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Just got back from Cozumel last week.

So amazing.

The night dive was badass. My video. The fish ended up getting away. With chunks missing out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKthbgHIzNA

Ended up going to Playa De Carmen for a day when the winds were too high to dive. Cenotes are cool too :cool:

Thanks to whoever recommended Blue Magic.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Whale sharks stay near the surface

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone have any idea what thickness wetsuit for the Bahamas in April?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Trivia posted:

Can't tell you outright, but you can google avg water temps.

Knowing that, I'd say you'd want a 5mm long for 24-27 C, 2/3 mm for 28-30 C.

That's my personal preference, everyone's different.

That's what I was considering. I was thinking about just buying a 3/2. I already have a 2mm top I could wear under/over it if it's cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Sol Food is so good. Limited hours though.