Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey guys, I've got a question about decompression sickness.

My husband and I have done four dives each before, although we've never been certified, they were just the "intro dive" type things on the Great Barrier Reef. We're thinking of doing some again on our trip to Hawaii, but because of scheduling we'd like to do it at a time that would leave us basically exactly 18 hours before our inter-island flight.

Is it safe to assume that after two basic beginner dives, waiting 18 hours, then taking a one-hour flight to the Big Island our odds of decompression sickness are pretty low, or should we do the dive the day before and wait 36 hours just to be safe?

Thanks for the answers, I don't know much about decompression sickness at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Luceo posted:

You'll be fine. The PADI guidelines are 18 hours for repetitive dives.

Ok awesome, thanks!!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bishop posted:

It's more than safe to assume this. In my opinion the whole flying after diving thing is way overblown. Now I personally push the limits a bit more than some, but assuming you aren't doing a crazy dive I'd be fine with flying after 6 hours.

Of all the limits that are padded in diving, I think the flying one may be the most egregious.

This DAN/Duke University study seems pretty well done and it concludes that with repetitive no deco diving, 12 hours is plenty: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/research/projects/fad/index.asp

Awesome, thanks. They are definitely beginner dives, so yeah, I'm sure we won't go lower than like ten-fifteen meters haha, and definitely not do anything crazy.