Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

~Coxy posted:

They're vapour until you can actually buy one, which will be when the second batch is ready to sell.
I'm sorry to be blunt because I really really want one (two) but I'm not holding my breath for them.

That's not vapourware, though. It might be really-hard-to-find-ware or at worst abandoned-in-a-warehouse-ware, but "vapour" sort of implies the only physical aspect of it are the words out of someone's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Install Gentoo posted:

And if you have all that already, you probably also have a computer they can use already.

Especially in an education environment, although I don't know maybe your school just bought HDTVs for every student instead of computers.

Monitors alone are dirt cheap these days, so there's some savings to be realized there. Could be useful.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

evol262 posted:

You're mistaken in thinking that X is morbidly obese. FFS, it's essentially the same program that ran on PA-RISC systems with 8MB of memory. It's fine. QT and GTK may be hogs (QT's better than GTK in that regard, at least), yeah. dbus? Sure. X? No.

Ha, yes - X is many things, but it does have a long history of running on things we'd consider laughably weak today. (Fluxbox was usable on my 486.)

That said: Do test Qt embedded, just to see. I'm sure they've put a lot of work into it to make it run ok on all sorts of junk, so... could be interesting. :)
(It should be fairly easy to move from Qt embedded to Qt/X, anyway.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

duck monster posted:

I'd be nice-ing the crap out of the post process stage if you plan on watching videos simultaneously. The unpack can even make my late 2011 MBP chug if Im not careful.

Another potential issue is io - even if the cpu usage is low-priority, it might still keep the io subsystem busy. (Has Linux got some form of priority-based disk scheduling? I've only really looked at FreeBSD lately.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah for the kind of schools that can't afford to have a computer lab, teaching linux programming on an outdated cell phone chipset isn't going to be helpful.

How does the OS or hardware matter when teaching a basic introduction to programming course? The only important parts is that the OS+hardware won't create too many problems and that the chosen language isn't entirely braindead. The bigger issue is finding interested and competent teachers, I suspect.

(Keep in mind that this is a first look at programming, not a trade skills course.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've been playing around with OpenElec and holy hell is it ever pissing me off. There is NO EXCUSE for renaming "shutdown -h now" and "shutdown -r now" to "poweroff" and "reboot".

Also, no package manager because updates make your distribution insecure :rolleyes:

Mind you, on e.g. FreeBSD, "shutdown -r" and "reboot" don't do exactly the same thing. The former takes a time (which can be "now"), warns all users, disables logins, and adds a log entry, while the latter just goes ahead and SIGTERMs everything, syncs disks, and reboots. Also note that "poweroff" is an alias for "shutdown -p now", while "halt" is the no-warnings/no-waiting version.

If they're renamed things so "reboot" is the one with warnings and delays, that's ... really rather confusing.

Install Windows posted:

Because a school that can't afford normal computers for use in everything else a school needs computers for probably shouldn't have RPis for a programming class.

That is a fair point, yes.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 31, 2013

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Actually, windows services for unix (or whatever they're called today) has a perfectly reasonable NFS client. However, MS have, in their infinite wisdom, decided to only make it available on Ultimate and Enterprise .

Not helpful for booting a Pi - but if you want to have all your data on NFS, it should work fine (given the right windows version).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The easiest way to dualboot it is probably to make one SD card per OS.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

What's the "correct" way send a high-signal to the arduino with minimal components, anyway? A transistor and 5V from somewhere?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As a way to step up the voltage if your signal is a bit too low to trigger the 5V logic, but you have 5V at hand - or is that an inappropriate/silly way to do it?
(I do, obviously, have very little idea what I'm talking about.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 29, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SEKCobra posted:

Well all I'm saying is, that the minimum component way, would be to use 5V on the switching circuit if you can.

Ha, yes - I guess "a wire" is about as minimal as you'll get. :)
(In the case of the Pi I guess you're stuck at 3.3V, though.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ok, that's rather neat.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

nmfree posted:

OK, that is pretty neat.

Of course the only real-world application that will probably see is buttcoins sooooo

At this point, even a fairly expensive PCIe GPU won't earn you much on bitcoins; I can't imagine a RPi would pay for the SD card you booted from even if you left it for a few years.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It looks like a bunch of the things in the Wikipedia list of single-board computers[1] have SATA. If any of those have more than one port (or proper support for SATA port switching) and Gbit networking , you could probably build something?

[1] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

Practically speaking, a mini-itx PC would be faster, easier, and can be had with way more SATA connectors ... but they are also larger, more expensive, and use more power. Besides, where's the challenge in that. :)

Comedy option: buy an old large thinkpad with a dead screen. Stuff two large 2.5" drives in it and you have a decent quiet NAS with built-in UPS.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Our department file server is a 7 year old dell workstation with 4 drives on the internal controller and two external 4-drive boxes hanging off a cheap Marvell eSATA card. 16 GB RAM, WD red drives, ZFS, FreeBSD. More than enough for wire speed reads, and it was enough for writes as well until it filled to 95%.

(I'm finally prepping a new proper replacement for it, yes. Something about 25TB of research data on hardware that was a bit iffy several years ago mildly worries me.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 2, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

evil_bunnY posted:

Just. Don't.

Oh trust me, I know. :eng99:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You may want to look at an ESP32 or something in that family - they are small, cheap, embedded platforms that often come with decent connectivity. I am working on some home automation stuff with an aliexpress esp32 running esphome, which makes it really easy to flash it with a "these pins are connected to this thing, and connect to this WiFi network with this password" configuration. You can then get data from it in a few different ways - it integrates easily into homeassistant, but if you don't want that you could probably talk MQTT to it - or enable the web server and use that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The android app is quite neat. It was never entirely sure about the bird I heard outside an hour ago, but it's definitely some little turdus. (Sorry)

When the bird is closer and/or there isn't a huge HVAC system being noisy on the roof next to me, it's quite precise.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 13, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

xzzy posted:

All distros allow specifying any mirror you want for updates, it's not really a feature they have to maintain though it's just how the software works.

Most annoying part will be setting up your local mirror.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them only allow http/https mirrors, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think a Darlington (TIP120 and the like) would work? Just remember that they switch the low side - they go between the load and ground.

Usual "I briefly played with this some years ago" caveats apply.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SMB on linux seems to work best with temporary userland mounts, and even then you run into annoying things like gvfs mounting to some horrible path with brackets and commas that confuses a lot of tools.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah this seems to suck for everyone on both sides.

We just got a new system to replace our old "register a MAC and connect what you want, there is an AD domain if you want to use that for login" network. The new one is "citrix to a Windows server, then ssh/rdp to a RHEL/Windows VM if you need to install anything". It's theoretically possible to connect physical hardware, but that requires a risk evaluation, and those are backlogged and take a bit over a year if they even find you worthy of being in the queue.

We currently do things like plonking down a few GPU-heavy workstations and a staging file server next to automated research microscopes. This does not appear to have been considered in the solution design, despite loud repeated protests.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Another option is if you can get your hands on some sort of low power laptop - it doesn't really matter if it was poverty spec ten years ago, it'll still be more than fast enough. Not as power efficient as a Pi, and physically larger, but on the other hand you get a neat integrated display, keyboard, and backup battery.

e: But yes, get one with wired ethernet

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VictualSquid posted:

The main complaint about the RPI power situation has always been about its enormous power usage spikes that need a power supply 3 times the size that the average power draw suggests.

Is this the sort of thing that could in theory be mitigated with a chunky capacitor somewhere?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It doesn't look like HDMI supports any real grayscale or bitmap color modes. If it's bitmap, you could get away with YUV 4:2:0; the absolutely lowest bandwidth 8k standard is 8k 30Hz 4:2:0 at just under 18Gbit. Also, it looks like the 8k modes were added in HDMI 2.1, so that's presumably a minimum.

The RPi 5 has HDMI 2.0, which just doesn't have the 8k modes. You could get one of the PCIe breakout boards and see if any of the cheap low-power GPUs have 2.1 support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Blackhawk posted:

Oh hey so I found out how these printers drive 8-12k screens over HMDI 2.0, turns out that they map each of the R,G and B values to a different physical monochrome pixel, so the screen is effectively pretending to be a lower resolution RGB screen and you have to send it funny coloured images if you want them to display correctly.

Ha, I thought about that and decided not to mention it, because surely nobody does that sort of low-level hardware hackery anymore. :v: