Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Snagged a used 3B+ and I love this cute lil thing. I mainly got it to be a low-powered headless server for Pi-Hole and Unbound, but I might start playing around with stuff like OwnCloud and Transmission again rather than just using the jailed plugins on my FreeNAS box that I'm scared of messing around with. Now I'm getting ideas like putting an anemometer on my balcony to put a number on the crazy wind gusts I hear sometimes, or maybe even running a personal private email server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hadlock posted:

What are the chances that the Pi 4 comes out this summer

Looking at their release schedule it looks an awful lot like they are due for a new product soon

Doesn't sound like anything's coming out this year.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-everything-we-know,38539.html

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

What kind of madman makes pie out of oranges???

Have you never eaten a meringue pie before? You're missing out, bud.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Varkk posted:

Link is now either 404 or the actual details are in a file attached to the post and you have to be logged in to download attachments.

I tracked the OP of that 15-year-old post to a Sim City forum where his last activity was eight months ago. I sent him a PM and am just waiting for a response.

(I did this once and actually got my question answered)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I got my hands on an older home theater receiver that I'm adding modern functionality to and am looking to improve streaming audio functionality from my current solution of a Bluetooth adapter I found in a parking lot.

I realized that instead of spending $70 on one of these, I could probably use the Pi 3B+ that's sitting on top of my NAS doing PiHole and DNS duty with the added bonus of being able to bypass BT altogether for most functions by pulling music directly from the NAS or Spotify.

From what I gather I'm gonna need something like this to get decent audio out capability, since the base 3.5mm jack is garbage and a digital connection means my receiver can handle all the DAC stuff. I'm looking at stuff like Volumio, moOde, Pi MusicBox and balenaSound, but they all seem to provide full preconfigured SD card images instead of packages I can install. Is it possible to get something I can just install and keep my Pi as a DNS server (and a VPN server for when I eventually get around to moving that from my Asus router)?

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 29, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I saw your post on the subject earlier which is what made me lean away from Volumio to Moode. Bluetooth isn't a huge deal if I can have it pull music from other sources, but if I can get a low latency codec running that might be nice for when I'm playing SinoAlice since the soundtrack is awesome.

I'll pop it on another SD card to try it out with the 3.5mm jack for now, and if I like it I'll pick up that digital audio hat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got Moode, Pihole and Unbound playing nice together using the instructions here. Really happy with it so far, but people are absolutely right about the built in DAC being noisy garbage. Hopefully I can run a coax SPDIF line from my Pi's usual location on the NAS to my sound system so I can keep it plugged in to the UPS, I think it'll be around 7 meters.

I haven't tried updating the Bluetooth codec yet so I'll give that a try next now that I know stuff is working the way it should. Also, is there a preferred MPD client for Android to control the thing? I know they're all about using a web browser, but I like being able to handle stuff from the notification shade. I'm using MALP right now but I'm wondering if there are any other ones worth checking out.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fuuuuuuck. Whole reason I bought this router instead of my ISPs one was specifically so I could do poo poo like this.

Any recommendations? Is there a thread for this stuff?

If you want to avoid getting a new router for now, see if you can turn off the DHCP server in the router and you can use the one built into Pihole.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 1, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How do I use Pi-hole’s built in DHCP server (and why would I want to)?

I haven't done it myself but that should have what you're looking for.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've got an old RT-N66U that's still trucking with the last supported Merlin firmware for it (or the LTS fork someone made, I can't remember), and it's never disappointed me. The proper VPN server was the main draw for me, and the only reason I'm considering offloading that to another device is because this past summer I had to reset it once or twice and the thing was pretty hot.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Klyith posted:

The generic bluetooth SBC codec can sound fine if both devices agree on a high bitrate, but that's not guaranteed. You can fix that by recompiling the bluetooth component.

So I recompiled blues with openaptx and fdk-aac but I don't seem to be getting the option for aptx on my Pixel 2. AAC shows up, but from what I hear the performance is awful on Android devices. Were you able to get it running with the built in BT adapter, or are you using something plugged in to USB? I probably just screwed something up building everything from source since I'm a Windows babby who's used to installers doing all the work for me, but I want to rule out as much as I can before continuing to bang my head against the wall.

I got that digital audio hat ordered and I can't wait for it to come in. Moode works brilliantly and I managed to find a cable that lets me keep my Pi connected to the UPS behind my couch with my NAS, but god drat does the built in audio out suck. There's still a bunch of static even with a 3' cord right next to my receiver so I know it's not the cable length, and the same tracks sound fine from other sources.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Between Spotify Connect and the NAS I'm not super concerned about bluetooth connectivity either, but I wanna give aptx a try to see what the latency difference is like for phone games. This would sound awesome coming out of a proper sound system instead of my phone's tinny speakers; while the audio quality is fine even with SBC there's a ton of lag. I figure it's also good to practice building stuff from source if I want to try other things with it. Apparently AAC is much better implemented on Apple devices, although with Airplay enabled I don't even know how necessary that is.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mewse posted:

Lol the subtle Krusty

What modem did you buy? I'm skeptical of the injected voltage poo poo all the dreampi docs talk about and their single blessed USB modem they want to sell me

Voltage injection is how we had to do it back in the day when the broadband adapter never got a release in Canada so you had to bridge the connection through a computer. It seemed simple enough and worked for a lot of people, but I was just a kid at the time and had no way to source the necessary components.

In the end my entire group of friends used the dial-up ISP credentials of someone's cousin who lived somewhere without broadband access. Even with thousands of hours of PSO we never ran into issues or got caught.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It does not block ads on the YouTube mobile app. DNS ad blocking isn't really great these days but it still seems to catch a decent amount of things on my phone that I haven't bothered to root and install a global ad blocker on. This is from the fresh install I did a few weeks ago while setting up Moode, can you guess which one is my phone?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The SPDIF hat I ordered last month finally came in and it sounds perfect coming out of my receiver now. While I was waiting I got into radio stuff with an SDR someone gave me to experiment with and I'm wondering how much stuff is too much to be running at the same time on one Pi. When connecting to the Spyserver that's running on the Pi, SDR# is a lot more glitchy than when it's direct to my laptop. One possibility is that I need a powered USB hub for it, but the way Spyserver compresses the data before sending it out might be doing a number on the CPU.

I could always do my radio stuff in a virtual machine on my NAS, but I've read that SDR devices don't always play nice with being passed through to a VM. I'm right by an international airport so I want to see what kind of ADS-B signals I can pick up and track.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been super happy with the Pifi Digi+ hat I got a couple months back that's just a clone of the Hifiberry SPDIF hat. I was originally intending on using it as a Bluetooth bridge to my sound system but Moode works so well as a sink for stuff like Spotify and local music files that I only ever use BT for phone games.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

Ok Volumio is a wee bit buggy. What's the alternatives? I know roon and there's another.

Moode. I've been running it for a couple months and have been happy as a clam.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

Is the Spotify integration better? Not having my liked songs playlist available is a bit annoying but I can just airplay from my phone to the Volumio instance to get CD quality playback of lossy Spotify.

It just shows up in Spotify as another device I can stream to if that's what you mean. It also has Airplay connectivity as well if you have some kind of different setup that needs it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My Pi3B is getting a lot of use running moode as a music player and audio sink, as well as various software defined radio projects that don't do well under virtualization.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm kicking myself for not switching to PiVPN+Wireguard sooner from OpenVPN on my router. Managing it is so much easier, especially with the QR codes it can generate.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My primary VPN use case is to securely access stuff on my internal network when I'm away from home. Would there be much benefit in Tailscale if the devices I have on me aren't going to be communicating with each other all that much?

Right now I'm trying to learn how to build a LineageOS kernel with the Wireguard module built in for those sweet sweet performance gains and battery savings on my Pixel 2. I have no idea what I'm doing but I have some free time over the winter break so I figured why not give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

eightysixed posted:

I was also confused. What’s HCH?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210