Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking for something that'll power two Pis (a 2 w/ a wifi adapter and a 3), 2 small iot devices that shouldn't draw more than 300mA at absolute max, and an extra port or two for when I need to plug in my phone or kindle or whatever. This should be fine right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7DIIH4

If it were me I'd pay a little extra for one from Anker like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P936188/

Note that both of these are 2.4 amps per port which is slightly under the recommended 2.5A.

I'm no pi-expert but from what I understand that probably isn't a big deal depending on your pi3's load/usb devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah, yeah, going with Anker is probably a good idea, everything I have from them has been solid. Neither of them are gonna be pushed very hard (XBMC on the 3, the 2 is a linux playground that will mostly be idle) but I'd rather not risk anything. I thought the pi's were 2.0a devices though, since the kit I got for my 3 had a 2.0a wall adapter and it has been running fine so far. Just trying to consolidate all my devices into as few plugs as possible.

Pi 3 recommends 2.5A as a nice high, safe figure but if you've been fine with a 2A adapter I can't imagine a 2.4A will cause you any issues. Just checked my own that came in the MCM kit and it's 2.4A as well.

edit:

"pi docs for power supply posted:

The Raspberry Pi 3 is powered by a +5.1V micro USB supply. Exactly how much current (mA) the Raspberry Pi requires is dependent on what you connect to it. We have found that purchasing a 2.5A power supply from a reputable retailer will provide you with ample power to run your Raspberry Pi. You can purchase the official Raspberry Pi Power Supply from our website, and you can learn more about the differing power requirements of the various models of the Raspberry Pi on our FAQ page.

FAQ page shows 1.2A maximum from USB peripherals and ~400mA typical bare-board active current consumption. It also shows 1.34A amps max in a stress test with HDMI, usb kb/m, and connected to wifi.

Sounds like it'll be more than fine for you!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 13, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

I'd originally set up my Pi as a pi-hole, but since I rolled my own VPN, I haven't needed it as such, so I thought I'd use it for some other stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be visible to my router anymore (or isn't pingable, at least). Short of taking my pi, keyboard, and mouse downstairs to plug in to the TV, is there any way to recover a connection to it over SSH or VNC?

Is it connected by wifi? By default, if it loses its wifi connection, it doesn't reconnect.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

huhu posted:

Got any news stories of this actually happening? My first thought was, what a stupid world we live in. Like the "I can't read right now because my Kindle's dead and I'm charging my cigarette."

Mirai, though I don't remember offhand if light bulbs specifically were a part of it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mulloy posted:

So question: I have a guy who has been kicking rear end and I have some company cash to throw at him. He's recently been talking about wanting to pick up some more raspberry pis to do some projects at home, but I am not actually sure what would be cool to get outside of going by amazon reviews. If I have around $250 to use, anyone have any recommendations? Are their like nifty accessories that make life easier when messing around with multiple pis? Any fun gizmos that pair well with projects like motion detectors or LED strips or whatever?

I have no idea what he plans to do, but I figured getting him some stuff relevant to his interests would be more fun than a gift card.

My best advice is make sure any SD cards you include are high quality. Maybe a variety of sizes of them? Here's a pretty decent-looking one at a good price: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-plus-32gb-microsdhc-uhs-i-memory-card/5785401.p

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mantle posted:

CRA cares. I think the rule is a gift under $500 is not taxable as income unless is it cash or cash-like (e.g. gift cards), in which it is taxable as income. Last year a $50 gift card I got appeared on my T4.

That means I paid $15 tax on a lovely gift card to Montana's that I didn't want and haven't been able to use. Thanks work.

In the US, you can't turn around and get the cash for a retail gift card like that without reselling it (do any states even let you cash in the full value of a retail gift card if they're over $10?), so that wouldn't be considered cash-like here. Is it different in Canada?

astral fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 13, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

My Pi-Hole froze sometime last week and for a good ten minutes that morning as I looked at the news on a tablet, I experienced life without an ad filter. *shudder*

You could use Firefox with uBlock Origin on Android or any of the content blockers for iOS to help with that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

lol that speed chart doesn't clear much, if anything, up compared to the amazon product descriptions, i'm probably gonna just go with the best rated ~$40-50 128gb card since I'm not shooting 8k video with it.

I like Wikipedia's chart a bit better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds

astral
Apr 26, 2004

McGiggins posted:

How does one properly secure a pi? I just had my internet cut off (phone posting) by my telcomprov (verified as them and not a scam) apparently due to 'virus activity' but there is nothing on my home network other than a 3b, zero w, this phone and a smart tv plus chromecast.

So it has to be the pis, but i gave them passwords when i got them. I haven't got rid pf the default pi accounts (i just changed the password) because as i understand it raspbian jessie doesn't work too well if the pi account goes bye bye, as apparently a lot of things are programmed under the assumption that specific account is on the machine.

Inept posted:

Make sure your router's firmware is up to date. A lot of consumer routers have well known vulnerabilities and have been made part of various botnets. This is the most likely cause if your router is configured normally (no port forwarding or DMZ to your Pi).

is a good start.

I'd also recommend: Turn off UPnP on your router. Don't install random software on your pi by downloading/running a random shell script.

It's also about time to update from Jessie if you haven't yet.

If you have an (especially old-versioned) Android phone that's also a good candidate for infection, and I wouldn't rule out the smart TV.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

there's a guy in yospos who can write C++ without any web documentation or reference materials because he works for some high-security defense contractor (or something) where no internet connections are allowed

poo poo blows my mind

None of those newfangled 'book' things, either, I hope.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

apropos man posted:

Is there a way to recover cards that have shat the bed in a Raspberry Pi and have subsequently been marked as "bad/read only"?

I've got two16gb microSD cards here. I can't dd zeroes to them in Linux. I can't repartition them in Linux. I can't format them in Windows. All because The Raspberry Pi crashed and set a flag on the cards to say that they were bad.

I can still see the old OS on them (Raspbian) but I can't overwrite it with anything.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=sd+card+read+only+fix

astral
Apr 26, 2004

apropos man posted:

Already Googled it, smartarse. Had no luck with the method's decribed in my post above. Thanks for your time though.

Edit: That was for the one above the one above this post.

Your post mentioned:
  • can't dd zeroes to them in Linux
  • can't repartition them in Linux
  • can't format them in Windows

Your post did not mention:
  • Performing a google search
  • Checking if your card has a physical write-protect tab that needs to be switched to an 'unlock' position
  • Attempting to use command-line tools to unset a read-only flag

Sorry for assuming. Have you tried those last two?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GutBomb posted:

This bugs my wife to no end on our setup. I don’t give a poo poo though so I’d rather they be blocked than unblock a bunch of other stuff just so those links work.

I like uBlock/uMatrix's solution for those where you can click the little magnifying glass on a strict-blocked URL to bring up all the various embedded URLs from the parameters.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

So the last update on the OP is like 7 years old at this point and still has the A as the top of the line, in betting that’s no longer an operative statement? I’m just starting to plan building a couple of PiHoles for DNS servers at home and I have a couple of questions:

1. The B+ is the current big swinging dick in the Raspberry Pi stable right? And indications of a new one anytime soon?
2. Assuming 1 (above), what should an literal babby’s first RPi kit cost? Amazon shows a board-and-heat sink-and-power-and-thermal goop for like 50 bucks?

:tipshat:

E: no case or card in that kit though.

If it hasn't changed since I bought a Pi 3, you can find kits for around $60 that include RPi, a power supply, sd card, and a case.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

taiyoko posted:

Bleh, guess I'll revert everything I've changed over so far back to the old wifi and dump the pi-router and just use it for pihole. The only other option I have right now that doesn't involve buying additional hardware is incompatible with openwrt/ddwrt/etc because it's the wrong hardware revision and thus has poo poo-for-ram/flash, and half the reason I wasn't using that just with stock anyway is because I can't disable the LEDs and it's enough light to bother my mom when she's in the guest room.

(Merlin having the ability to let you just turn off all the lights is pretty sweet.)

ickna posted:

Electrical tape is a cheap and easy solution. For the LEDs, not your mother.

Friends, let me tell you about LightDims. Use the regular ones on LEDs you want to dim but still be able to see. Use the blackout ones on the ones you don't want to see.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

taqueso posted:

You can get like 3 rolls of the very nicest super 88 electrical tape for that price.

(e: its probably inflated because it's not in stock at amazon)

It's more about the different colors/transparency levels, the convenience of them being pre-cut, and the lack of a sticky mess that electrical tape always seemed to leave. If it's something I'm going to be looking at and it has a flat surface, I prefer to use a LightDim. If it's out of sight and I don't care about it as much, or if it's not a flat surface, I'll bring out the electrical tape.

I bought a 5-pack of the LightDims a few years back and it's been well worth the money. I haven't yet had a situation where I'd want to use the cut-it-yourself ones, so if there's a pack that excludes those and you don't foresee needing them it might be a bit cheaper.

LightDims is the seller; it's a little cheaper to have them ship it to you than Amazon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have a pi 4 with a power supply straight from the official people. I tried to set it up with an SSD using this enclosure. It kinda acted like it was working, got past the point where it would tell me if I didn't have a new enough version to boot from USB, then showed me a wall of nonsense.

Edit: click to embiggen. Photo ended up way bigger than I intended.

I googled and found people with the same error messages, but not the same situation, and was wondering if any of y'all have any thoughts. Suggestions included problems with the power supply, but I'm not sure (or sure how to tell) if that means getting a new cord or a powered dick or what.

Most likely you either need a powered enclosure for the drive or a powered USB hub in between.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Not to mention there's a night and day difference between modern PHP and 2012 PHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Most routers built after ~2005 won't allow any incoming traffic that didn't originate from inside your local network, no additional work should be needed there

While it's almost certainly not applicable to this situation, it's probably important to note the horrors of UPnP near a sentence like that.