Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Yeah, I'll check Dataplicity out next time or maybe even tomorrow. I didn't really get its usecase until now.

Right now I just have a Raspbian .img set up to connect automatically to my phone hotspot and work from there now. In the future if I need to do something like this, it might be worth it to buy a cheap router or use Dataplicity.

Thanks for the help guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tuna posted:

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. My shipping notification came 12 days ago but the "track your package" button doesn't work, so no idea when it'll arrive. Can't wait!

I really enjoy mine but it definitely makes me appreciate the ease of working with a mature platform like the pi. This thing is rough around the edges and even though it's not as bad as a lot of the people on their forums are making it out to be (a lot of them sound like they were expecting a full computer experience for $5, shocker) there's a lot of stuff with mine that just didn't work or was broken at first. Make sure to update to the latest firmware version (http://repo.onion.io/omega2/images/). I was on b136 or 37 and the web client was awful. After flashing to b140 (b139 is still the latest that shows up in the web client for me, I flashed manually) it's been mostly solid, though the cloud integration is still having problems from what I've seen. The documentation is also getting way better; when mine first showed up they didn't even have a section for the arduino board, someone just stumbled on the install package by accident and posted it on the forums :lol:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fragrag posted:

I guess I'm an idiot who can't Google. The reason I absolutely need the ability to SSH into the Pis is that they will be immediately start up omxplayer on booting and as far as I can tell, you can't quit it with a keyboard or mouse then. You have to kill the process via the command line.

So once the script is installed to boot the video up, I'm poo poo out of luck unless I can ssh in

I'm solving the wrong problem here, but the Pi has multiple virtual terminals, right? Plug in a keyboard and hit ctrl-alt-F1 through F6 to access them (F7 is X11, if it's running). Each one will have a login prompt that you can use like normal, and do any command line stuff you want.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Did I miss something? omxplayer has keyboard controls. There's just no feedback.

I've been playing around a bit with the Orange Pi PC. Played "Pass the parcel" With NAS's again. The Orange Pi Zero arrived so the Raspberry Pi B was relieved of duty as temporary NAS.
With a mainline Armbian kernel the OPi Zero makes a really good NAS (for my requirements).

it's only an impression but the Orange Pi PC running Armbian with a recent legacy kernel seems a bit more usable than the Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian. There's more software available and the OPi PC doesn't seem to have weird bog downs like the RPi3. The RPi3 does have BT and WiFi though.

The OPi PC with Armbian also plays video with HW acceleration more readily by using a version of mpv compiled with HW codec support. Sound through the audio jack is kind of thin (someone else described it like this but I agree) and sounds kind of "dirty" somehow too. A preamp or amp seems to help a little.

Another big issue with the OPi PC is that the legacy kernel doesn't support all resolutions. Only a subset of common ones hardwired into the kernel. If other resolutions need to be supported they need to be manually added to the kernal and compiled.

Really I think the mainline kernel is better, but it's more for headless and terminal uses only as it doesn't have Mali drivers.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for something that'll power two Pis (a 2 w/ a wifi adapter and a 3), 2 small iot devices that shouldn't draw more than 300mA at absolute max, and an extra port or two for when I need to plug in my phone or kindle or whatever. This should be fine right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7DIIH4

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I need loud, as high quality as possible, powered speakers that take RCA input for use with a Pi setup I have that in part will be playing music over a large area. What is my best bet? I usually deal with much higher end audio gear, so I am out of my element here. To make things as easy as possible, i'll be plugging them in to an outlet.

The project calls for an external sound card as well, but I was just going to use a spare Schiit Audio Modi 2 I had laying around, and plug some powered speakers into that. Not sure if there will be any driver issues with the Modi and the Pi, but I can work those out later if there are, or find another solution.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking for something that'll power two Pis (a 2 w/ a wifi adapter and a 3), 2 small iot devices that shouldn't draw more than 300mA at absolute max, and an extra port or two for when I need to plug in my phone or kindle or whatever. This should be fine right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7DIIH4

If it were me I'd pay a little extra for one from Anker like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P936188/

Note that both of these are 2.4 amps per port which is slightly under the recommended 2.5A.

I'm no pi-expert but from what I understand that probably isn't a big deal depending on your pi3's load/usb devices.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, yeah, going with Anker is probably a good idea, everything I have from them has been solid. Neither of them are gonna be pushed very hard (XBMC on the 3, the 2 is a linux playground that will mostly be idle) but I'd rather not risk anything. I thought the pi's were 2.0a devices though, since the kit I got for my 3 had a 2.0a wall adapter and it has been running fine so far. Just trying to consolidate all my devices into as few plugs as possible.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Powered Descent posted:

I'm solving the wrong problem here, but the Pi has multiple virtual terminals, right? Plug in a keyboard and hit ctrl-alt-F1 through F6 to access them (F7 is X11, if it's running). Each one will have a login prompt that you can use like normal, and do any command line stuff you want.

It's the OS that's running on the API that's providing virtual terminals, not the Pi.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah, yeah, going with Anker is probably a good idea, everything I have from them has been solid. Neither of them are gonna be pushed very hard (XBMC on the 3, the 2 is a linux playground that will mostly be idle) but I'd rather not risk anything. I thought the pi's were 2.0a devices though, since the kit I got for my 3 had a 2.0a wall adapter and it has been running fine so far. Just trying to consolidate all my devices into as few plugs as possible.

Pi 3 recommends 2.5A as a nice high, safe figure but if you've been fine with a 2A adapter I can't imagine a 2.4A will cause you any issues. Just checked my own that came in the MCM kit and it's 2.4A as well.

edit:

"pi docs for power supply posted:

The Raspberry Pi 3 is powered by a +5.1V micro USB supply. Exactly how much current (mA) the Raspberry Pi requires is dependent on what you connect to it. We have found that purchasing a 2.5A power supply from a reputable retailer will provide you with ample power to run your Raspberry Pi. You can purchase the official Raspberry Pi Power Supply from our website, and you can learn more about the differing power requirements of the various models of the Raspberry Pi on our FAQ page.

FAQ page shows 1.2A maximum from USB peripherals and ~400mA typical bare-board active current consumption. It also shows 1.34A amps max in a stress test with HDMI, usb kb/m, and connected to wifi.

Sounds like it'll be more than fine for you!

astral fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 13, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

eschaton posted:

It's the OS that's running on the API that's providing virtual terminals, not the Pi.

Picky, picky. Fine: Raspbian has multiple virtual terminals, yes?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

Pi 3 recommends 2.5A as a nice high, safe figure but if you've been fine with a 2A adapter I can't imagine a 2.4A will cause you any issues. Just checked my own that came in the MCM kit and it's 2.4A as well.

So what you're saying is I got ripped off with the supply that came with my kit then :v:

Seriously tho, thanks for the info!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

eschaton posted:

Not sure if I understand what you're saying here. Which API do you mean?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Fragrag posted:

There's no way to run Raspbian or any ARM linux distro on a VM on Windows right? I want to deploy some Pis for an exhibition at school and I'm trying to find a way to adjust the Pis on location without cobbling a monitor/keyboard together.

I was thinking of making a base image where they connect to my phone's hotspot and I SSH into. When I tried that, I couldn't find the IP address it got assigned so I can't SSH into it.

Ideally I'd love to run a VM, set everything up properly and then deploy it but that's not an option I'm guessing.

Do they need to have internet access ? if not, just hang them all off a cheapo router with DHCP. Then you can ipscan that network and find them all.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

BabyRyoga posted:

I need loud, as high quality as possible, powered speakers that take RCA input for use with a Pi setup I have that in part will be playing music over a large area. What is my best bet? I usually deal with much higher end audio gear, so I am out of my element here. To make things as easy as possible, i'll be plugging them in to an outlet.

The project calls for an external sound card as well, but I was just going to use a spare Schiit Audio Modi 2 I had laying around, and plug some powered speakers into that. Not sure if there will be any driver issues with the Modi and the Pi, but I can work those out later if there are, or find another solution.

How large of an area? You can rent PA speakers for really cheap which would be your best bet for volume. You don't mention a budget either

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure if I understand what you're saying here. Which API do you mean?

Ducking autocorrect…

It's the OS running on the Pi that provides virtual terminals, not the Pi hardware.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

n.. posted:

How large of an area? You can rent PA speakers for really cheap which would be your best bet for volume. You don't mention a budget either

Let's say comparable to the size of a basketball court, maybe not as lengthy but slightly wider. So, not too large, but at the point where buying any old pair of smaller cheap satellite desktop computer speakers probably won't be ideal, and something that gets more volume like lower-end powered monitor speakers would work better. For a budget, let's say more than $75, but not much more than $150. I don't think anything cheaper would suffice, and if it gets much more expensive than that, I could probably just buy an amp instead and use some bookshelf speakers I have laying around, at the cost of some convenience.

ickna
May 19, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

Let's say comparable to the size of a basketball court, maybe not as lengthy but slightly wider. So, not too large, but at the point where buying any old pair of smaller cheap satellite desktop computer speakers probably won't be ideal, and something that gets more volume like lower-end powered monitor speakers would work better. For a budget, let's say more than $75, but not much more than $150. I don't think anything cheaper would suffice, and if it gets much more expensive than that, I could probably just buy an amp instead and use some bookshelf speakers I have laying around, at the cost of some convenience.

You're not going to get much more than 40-60w for that price range, which may be enough for that size room if you're not having to overcome anything more than conversational level voices. Can you be a little more specific about the circumstances? Are you trying to fill the entire room with loud sound, or just an area around your setup? Is stereo a necessity?

Without knowing much more, here's a couple of options that might work:

42w RMS near-field monitor speakers - $99, more like glorified desktop computer speakers
66w RMS near-field monitor speakers - $149, beefier version of the above

12" 200w RMS/800w peak DJ PA speaker - $149, only one channel but should easily cover the whole room if you don't need stereo
8" 100w RMS/400w peak DJ PA speaker - $99, similar to above, but if you can bump your budget up to $200 you can get a pair for stereo

120w (into 4 ohm)/60w (into 8 ohm) stereo amp - $77, if you decide to go with whatever speakers you have laying around. I wouldn't expect to get more than 20-30w RMS of undistorted volume into 8 ohm speakers though.

Your price range is unfortunately about half of what you really need to get into something with adequate specs for that size room. You might want to roll by a local Wal*Mart or Best Buy and check out their boom boxes, they might have something in your price range that works just as well as trying to low-ball a DJ PA setup, or better than trying to press a small bookshelf setup into PA service.

I've had decent success with a 15 year old boom box filling a 60'x30' stage for background music while working and enough volume for dance rehearsals.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rent some PA gear. That's probably the best bang for your buck in this case.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This may be a question with a "well, duh" answer but I am building something that has two Raspberry Pi Zeros that function as different subsystems and need them to communicate. What is the best way to do this? Low latency is better than high bandwidth in this case, I don't think they will ever share >1-2MB/s, maybe less.

ickna
May 19, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

This may be a question with a "well, duh" answer but I am building something that has two Raspberry Pi Zeros that function as different subsystems and need them to communicate. What is the best way to do this? Low latency is better than high bandwidth in this case, I don't think they will ever share >1-2MB/s, maybe less.

How far apart? You could do serial over the gpio pins if you're sending something like telemetry, otherwise some usb ethernet adaptors and static IPs would let you run a single cat5 between them.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I bought a case for my Pi 3 and forgot to take the micro SD card out when trying to fit the board in. Snapped the SD card in two :(

At least those are only $10.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of micro SD cards, is it possible to get 2gb cards for like, a buck or two anywhere? I've got a few small devices that can use microsd cards to expand storage but I don't want to spend $5 per card on them, as cheap as that sounds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GobiasIndustries posted:

Speaking of micro SD cards, is it possible to get 2gb cards for like, a buck or two anywhere? I've got a few small devices that can use microsd cards to expand storage but I don't want to spend $5 per card on them, as cheap as that sounds.

You can try eBay, but a lot of the really cheap ones will probably be low quality noname brands, some labeled as major names. Still if you're willing to risk like $2 per card on a couple of cards, they're there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ickna posted:

How far apart? You could do serial over the gpio pins if you're sending something like telemetry, otherwise some usb ethernet adaptors and static IPs would let you run a single cat5 between them.

Wire runs would be less than 4". Once all of the add ons get sorted I will see about the GPIO pins otherwise I'll do the ethernet route. Thanks!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

You can try eBay, but a lot of the really cheap ones will probably be low quality noname brands, some labeled as major names. Still if you're willing to risk like $2 per card on a couple of cards, they're there.

Eh, if it's gonna be shady I might as well pass, no need to risk tossing money down the drain, even if they won't be used too much. I'll just pick up some from Microcenter... where I can also pick up a Pi Zero that will cost as much as the memory card it boots from :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm looking to do some DIY home automation, bridging zwave to my skylight/blind. Per FCC filing, the remote is using 2.4GHz. I can find 2.4GHz modules, but they seem to be designed to talk proprietary protocols to their peers and not send arbitrary data. I can find 433MHz general-purpose transceivers, which will help with the fireplace, but nothing that looks appropriate in 2.4GHz.

Does anyone have recommendations for 2.4GHz transceivers (or transmitter/receiver pairs) that can send arbitrary data? I'd love one that was a GPIO-riding add-on board, or a HAT, but I'll figure out how to wire a separate module inside the case.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Subjunctive posted:

I'm looking to do some DIY home automation, bridging zwave to my skylight/blind. Per FCC filing, the remote is using 2.4GHz. I can find 2.4GHz modules, but they seem to be designed to talk proprietary protocols to their peers and not send arbitrary data. I can find 433MHz general-purpose transceivers, which will help with the fireplace, but nothing that looks appropriate in 2.4GHz.

Does anyone have recommendations for 2.4GHz transceivers (or transmitter/receiver pairs) that can send arbitrary data? I'd love one that was a GPIO-riding add-on board, or a HAT, but I'll figure out how to wire a separate module inside the case.

The chips I've seen (not really that many to be honest) all look like they do one or a few different specific protocols. I'd look at it from the other direction and try to see what chip and protocol they use, then find chips that can work with that, then try to find if there's an add-on with one of those chips. I know NXP has chips that can do like 6 different protocols but there's no guarantee that it can do the one you need and I have literally no idea if they're any good.

If it's a TI chip it can be a real pain in the rear end and act lovely if your implementation is lovely. I guess that goes for everything though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The chips I've seen (not really that many to be honest) all look like they do one or a few different specific protocols. I'd look at it from the other direction and try to see what chip and protocol they use, then find chips that can work with that, then try to find if there's an add-on with one of those chips. I know NXP has chips that can do like 6 different protocols but there's no guarantee that it can do the one you need and I have literally no idea if they're any good.

If it's a TI chip it can be a real pain in the rear end and act lovely if your implementation is lovely. I guess that goes for everything though.

Do you know if that's usually in FCC filings? I could go dig there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
New Raspberry Pi 3 based Compute Module!

Article:https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/compute-module-3-launch/

Buy: https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-83926

I didn't know the compute module existed but I have actually been shopping for something that can be made as narrow as a Pi Zero with the power of a Pi 3. If I can find a SODIMM ribbon cable compatible with it it might be perfect for what I need.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

I've recently gotten into the Raspberry Pi and am slowly learning how to use them through online projects.

One thing I'd like to do is set up a wifi-less NAS physically separate to the rest of my hardware, then connect that by network cable to my a Pi 3 + USB 5ghz, which in turn would connect my wifi network. I'd like to NAS to show up on the network as if it were connecting directly rather than through the Pi relay.

I've Googled for this type of project, but haven't had much luck (likely because I'm not getting the right keywords). Has anyone seen a step by step for this sort of project? I'm only just learning Linux very, very slowly now, so would need a step by step guide.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Subjunctive posted:

No idea. Possibly? I'd disassemble the remote, start googling the numbers on the chips. The transceiver is prob right next to the antenna.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

This may be way overkill for your task - but if worse comes to worst, you could always use a software defined radio. The really cheapo ones like the RTL-SDR only do receive, no transmit, but for a couple hundred bucks you can get a low-power transmit capability with something like a bladeRF or hackRF. I realize that's also probably more than you were figuring this would cost, but I don't know any options that can both send arbitrary protocols and aren't SDR. One way or another you're looking at some kind of a full-fledged radio there.

http://www.taylorkillian.com/2013/08/sdr-showdown-hackrf-vs-bladerf-vs-usrp.html

If you are very price sensitive I think you may be better off buying two separate boards, one for each frequency. But the SDR is definitely the more powerful option and if you want to do lots of RF reverse engineering they are a very powerful tool to have in your toolbox, so I would recommend getting one sooner or later.

Try googling "zwaveraspberry pi" or "z-wave reverse engineering" or something like that and see what you find. tHere's one source I dug up for you.

Subjunctive posted:

I think frequency should definitely be in FCC filings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I'm happy to have two modules, I just can't find any for 2.4GHz like the general purpose ones for 433MHz. HackRF is definitely more than I really want to pay right now, and the cheaper variants like RTL-SDR don't go high enough.

The Z-wave stuff I have sorted out, just getting an Aeon USB adapter for now. I might move to Arduino once I have it working, but it'll be easier to bring up on the RPi.

Weirdly, the remote doesn't show up in the FCC search, though the skylight motor seems to, and all that company's products are in the same band.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I built a RetroPie to tinker with, the setup is currently barebones.

Simple question: when I shut down the system via GUI (equivalent to "halt"?) should I reboot simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the power? After all, there is no power button.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Pyramid Scheme posted:

I've recently gotten into the Raspberry Pi and am slowly learning how to use them through online projects.

One thing I'd like to do is set up a wifi-less NAS physically separate to the rest of my hardware, then connect that by network cable to my a Pi 3 + USB 5ghz, which in turn would connect my wifi network. I'd like to NAS to show up on the network as if it were connecting directly rather than through the Pi relay.

I've Googled for this type of project, but haven't had much luck (likely because I'm not getting the right keywords). Has anyone seen a step by step for this sort of project? I'm only just learning Linux very, very slowly now, so would need a step by step guide.

That's certainly possible although I'm not sure why you would want NAS connectivity go through your Pi and WiFi. I'd connect the NAS to your router (over ethernet) if I were you. If you want your NAS in a seperate part of your network you can create it's own vlan.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I built a RetroPie to tinker with, the setup is currently barebones.

Simple question: when I shut down the system via GUI (equivalent to "halt"?) should I reboot simply by disconnecting and reconnecting the power? After all, there is no power button.
Yes, that's correct.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

That's certainly possible although I'm not sure why you would want NAS connectivity go through your Pi and WiFi. I'd connect the NAS to your router (over ethernet) if I were you. If you want your NAS in a seperate part of your network you can create it's own vlan.

Thanks. The NAS would be back up device for my primary NAS. I'll cable to the router for the initial back up, but I'm fine for slower transfer rates by wifi for incremental back ups. Physical security issues mean I want to keep the back up in a separate part of my apartment, but don't want to have to physically haul it to the router for every back up session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Thanks. The NAS would be back up device for my primary NAS. I'll cable to the router for the initial back up, but I'm fine for slower transfer rates by wifi for incremental back ups. Physical security issues mean I want to keep the back up in a separate part of my apartment, but don't want to have to physically haul it to the router for every back up session.

So you basically want your NAS to connect to the rest of your network via WiFi and you're thinking of using your Pi somehow for it? I don't know much about NAS brands, but can't a USB WiFi dongle work somehow?