Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Miller High Life is more drinkable than it should be.

Incorrect, tis exactly as drinkable as it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Control Volume posted:

Incorrect, tis exactly as drinkable as it should be

High Life rules, eof

Hamm's is great too

Cheap lagers 4ever

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

four pack of these for 4.99 hell yeah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RocketMermaid posted:

High Life rules, eof

Hamm's is great too

Cheap lagers 4ever

Strohs GOAT

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

danbanana posted:

Strohs GOAT

I know I'm only a transplant to DC, but Natty Boh is a hell of a light lager.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I drink High Life cause my life isn’t.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

highme posted:

I drink High Life cause my life isn’t.

username/post combo

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I'm headed to Austin Tx next week for the Formula 1 race and I haven't been there in about 6 years. What's new or what's worth going to these days? This does not have to be confined to just breweries. Places with great food, atmosphere, outdoor space, etc are also ideal.

I'm staying in on the east side of Austin, near 12th and Comal but really any locations is fine. We have a rental or can uber.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

atothesquiz posted:

I'm headed to Austin Tx next week for the Formula 1 race and I haven't been there in about 6 years. What's new or what's worth going to these days? This does not have to be confined to just breweries. Places with great food, atmosphere, outdoor space, etc are also ideal.

I'm staying in on the east side of Austin, near 12th and Comal but really any locations is fine. We have a rental or can uber.

I left Austin this summer, though hey you're in my old neighborhood and there's a ton of stuff in the east side within walking distance or a quick drive.

Few key things to note about every Austin brewery (well, for the very good ones)
Outdoor space is a given - just about all of them do this right
Expect at least a top notch, if not world class lager/pilsner. Try as much as you can.
Depending on your timing, vast majority of breweries are closed on Mondays.

--

Gonna put beer in two tiers:

Must stop destination worthy:
Live Oak: The ideal first stop after picking up your rental car and they're the brewery I miss most, would even argue they are the best brewery in TX. Get the pilz, hef, oktoberfest or Primus (whatever seasonal), the smoked beers, and enjoy hanging out along the flight path.

Oddwood: Likely the closest brewery to where you are staying and it would be a great second stop if you were to start at Live Oak then continue down Airport blvd. Expect tart/funky saisons here and of course their pils/lagers are fire. Free play old school arcade games and a Dreamcast if you're into that.

ABGB: Some of the best lagers in the world are made here. Excellent for live music if there happens to be someone playing too!

Hold Out: Another essential stop and they were my favorite spot to have food at a brewery. Their lager program is comparable to Live Oak/St. Elmo/ABGB. Many breweries will only have a food truck while Hold Out has a full on restaurant with a chef/kitchen staff.

St. Elmo: Can't leave Austin without trying Carl kolsch. Former Austin Beerworks brewers left to open St. Elmo and have become a local powerhouse brewery. Any lagers/pilsners here are gonna be awesome. Crosby is a top tier fresh hop strata ipa which should be in season right now. Spicy Boys is an awesome chicken/sorta Asian fusiony truck (get the roti and curry). Also check out the Still distillery if you want cocktails just a short walk away!

Meanwhile: Very huge and gorgeous outdoor space. You can tell a ton of money went into this facility. They brought in former brewers from Breakside and it is clearly meant to be a destination brewery for everyone, from beer nerds to casual beer drinkers. Noteworthy since they have two year round flagship beers that are old school west coast ipa's (one they call SD style and one Pacific NW style) and they also occasionally brew English styles which is super rare these days. Multiple food trucks including Distant Relatives which is one of the best bbq trucks in TX. I always tried to go on off hours and avoided weekends since it is the most family friendly brewery in the area (the outdoor space is so huge where they even have a playground and a football/soccer pitch)

Pinthouse (especially the Ben White location): These guys are basically printing money off Electric Jellyfish, which is the top selling beer in Austin. Opened a super nice new facility. Known for hazy ipa's and barrel aged/adjuncty stouts. Its fresh hop season and I bet they still have the fresh hop Green Battles, its one of the best ipas made in TX.

Jester King: At this point it's purely for the location tbh and I hate to say the beer has gone heavily downhill since Averie left. Realistically I doubt a tourist coming for F1 would have time for a visit here since it's a big distance/time commitment

--

Very good beer and worth the stop, if you find the time:
Zilker: my old neighborhood hangout, just check the taplist first and see if its up your alley.
Austin Beerworks
Draught House

--

Non beer things:
Sour Duck Market is very closeby, was my neighborhood bakery which I regularly hit up.

Not a coffee person, though coffee nerd friends love Figure 8, Try Hard, and Fleet in the neighborhood

Cuantos Tacos: taco truck in the neighborhood which I hit up very frequently. Do not miss their saturday only al pastor special and make sure to order a side of beans too

Granny's Tacos was my go-to for breakfast tacos and unlike most places where you'd want to have two tacos, one taco here will be extremely huge

Do not sleep on the food court at the Mueller HEB which is a huge grocery near where you're staying. Can easily get good bbq, katsu chicken curry, chicken biscuits and so much more

Bird Bird Biscuit: speaking of chicken biscuits, this is also super close to you

You're probably not gonna get anywhere near Tiki Tatsuya during F1 weekend, would be great if you can make it work though I think your odds are not very favorable.

Micklethwait is world class bbq right by where you're staying. They are particularly known for awesome sides and bread made in house. Should easily be doable if you show up right when they open.

Get a kolache at Kerlin bbq's trailer.

Nickel City is a faux dive bar with a pretty good tiki program, def worth a stop as well.

Avoid Easy Tiger no matter what anyone tells you - they went super corporate and it's basically aimed for tourists who don't know any better

air- fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 11, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i don't know why i never searched for a thread like this before. Here's my question: what the gently caress are pastry stouts and why are they so delicious? I've had this style before, but recently I had affogato by Untitled Art and it just blew me away.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
They have added sugar. You like sugar because it tastes good. That’s literally it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you know, I *do* like sugar!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Soonmot posted:

i don't know why i never searched for a thread like this before. Here's my question: what the gently caress are pastry stouts and why are they so delicious? I've had this style before, but recently I had affogato by Untitled Art and it just blew me away.

They removed all the bitter aspects of beer and effectively made soda out of barley and milk sugars.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

air- posted:

I left Austin this summer

You still in Texas?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

ahhhh gently caress treehouse is open in tewksbury now

the only thing that kept me from going there more often than a couple times a year was the 1.5hr drive, now it's like 35 minutes away

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

They removed all the bitter aspects of beer and effectively made soda out of barley and milk sugars.

I mean, it's sweet but it's not like a wine cooler or anything? I normally drink bourbon barrel stouts, so I like that rich dark boozey flavor and this one at least still has that.

Now the mango dragonfruit fruit smoothie beer, also from Untitled Art, is 100% a delicious soda experience

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You associate boozy flavor with intoxication, which you like, and the malt milkshake stuff/smoothie thiccc stuff with childhood candy, which you clearly never grew out of.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like pastry sours sometime but man it just feels so much like soda. Hell, kettle sours are my go to beach beers.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

air- posted:

Austin

Austin

Austin

Awesome info! I've been to a couple of those places but it's nice to see some things I haven't checked out yet. Thanks!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

obi_ant posted:

You still in Texas?

Moved to NYC and loving not having a car anymore!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Everyone sober now?

Has Mad Elf hit the shelves?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

atothesquiz posted:

Everyone sober now?

Has Mad Elf hit the shelves?

They have it here already (MD)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's behind the counter, clearly.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You gotta line up at 6am to get the Mad Elf

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Cases of it right by SN Celebration.

highme
May 25, 2001

Had a pint of Celebration last week. Tasted great.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Podima posted:

It's behind the counter, clearly.

I hope to loving god that cigar culture never gets as pretentious as this loving has because beer sucks incredible dick right now and these newcomer dudes are highlighting why. This thread is hostile as gently caress to any disagreeing palates and you know what? I hope to watch it loving burn. You know what cigar guys do to newcomers? loving offer them rare cigars and advice instead of making GBS threads on them. I don't give a drat about beer at this point, but maybe you guys can loving learn a manner lesson.

I've met a lot of you guys by now and half of you wouldn't so discerning or hard on things in person as you are on the internet. Chill the gently caress out and remember it's people enjoying beer on the other end and their palates may taste poo poo differently than you.

I don't give a crap if I get banned at this point. This was the only thread I really checked and it's just a loving dumb echo chamber of "xxx beer is good" over and over with any discussion trampled by dissenters. Let the poo poo posts commence, and god knows it was mostly poo poo before these guys came

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
That copypasta warms me during the holidays like an aged barleywine.

highme
May 25, 2001

Flying to San Diego for the weekend with my main beer sidekick for the expressed purpose of drinking beers and eating tacos. We'll be hitting up Burgeon, North Park, Pure and a couple of other for sure. We're staying in PB and I'm trying to avoid being in a car as much as possible. Any "can't miss" spots in PB?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Man pb is drunk college town nightmare

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
You'll be closeish to Harland Brewery though! They make a killer Japanese lager. If you go to Northpark/normal heights area try BLAH (blind lady ale house) and Second Chance. Second chance have a killer porter and their mainline up ain't too bad!

Take a Uber to OB and hit up Pizza Port. Arguably my favorite brewery in San diego next to 3Punks (Chula vista). Pizza port makes my absolute favorite imp porter and it's seasonal so its fresh n gooder right now. Bacon n eggs porter! They also just dropped a seasonal Swami iPa. People love swami so I'd give that a try.

Fall brewery in North Park is celebrating their 8th year anniversary with a Japanese lager so if you're down there try some for me. The line up is also killer. Ipas,lagers, farmhouse ales, good poo poo

highme
May 25, 2001

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Man pb is drunk college town nightmare

You're saying it hasn't changed and is exactly what I'm after? Cool.

Pizza Port is on the list, so are all of the Nort Park spots. Late addition today from one of my high school homies is Border X.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

As far as lagers go, is DAB any good? It’s incredibly cheap and seems miles better than North American macro lagers but the price makes me wonder whether Covid damaged my sense of taste and smell permanently. Also my brain.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It's the style-defining Dortmunder Export Lager.

It's strong (5%) and as a German beer has no adjuncts, so maybe you just appreciate a full-malt beer!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Kaiho posted:

It's the style-defining Dortmunder Export Lager.

It's strong (5%) and as a German beer has no adjuncts, so maybe you just appreciate a full-malt beer!

I definitely do, corn and rice are not my thing. Lately I’ve been drinking Leffe though which I think has sugar added since it’s a Belgian Trappist-ish ale.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Visiting in-laws a state over and decided to check out the bottle shop at the end of their street since it sometimes has interesting stuff. Found a random wee heavy from a brewery in my old hometown and picked it up.

The specofic brewery closed down I think 5-ish years ago reopened a year or two later under new ownership. I just figured the new people were brewing that particular beer again. Nope! Near as I can tell its new old stock from at least 2019 and maybe as early as 2016. It's about 11% ABV so I hope it's fine?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So after the initial learning curve with my first keg in the kegerator, everything was fine for the next few. Then I went on vacation and since I came home, things suck. More head than a good date. Nothing the manual calls for applies, temp is good, keg hasn't been agitated, pressure unchanged. I release pressure on the coupler as it says. Nope. I've even replaced that keg and its the same thing. Tips?

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Quiet Feet posted:

Visiting in-laws a state over and decided to check out the bottle shop at the end of their street since it sometimes has interesting stuff. Found a random wee heavy from a brewery in my old hometown and picked it up.

The specofic brewery closed down I think 5-ish years ago reopened a year or two later under new ownership. I just figured the new people were brewing that particular beer again. Nope! Near as I can tell its new old stock from at least 2019 and maybe as early as 2016. It's about 11% ABV so I hope it's fine?

Were they any good? Aging gracefully depends on controlling which compounds are in the beer to begin with that will oxidize to cherry and leather and not rain-soaked cardboard dumpster, how much dissolved oxygen was in the beer to start with, how it's been stored the past 3+ years, and random chance.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Some of the Goose Island BCBS variants are $40 this year….I feel like that’s a pretty big jump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Some of the Goose Island BCBS variants are $40 this year….I feel like that’s a pretty big jump?

A lot of the special barrel ones have been there and above for a few years.