Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

The Off Color Eek release was way more chill than expected. Grabbed a few bottles, tried it on tap, etc. Easily the best part was seeing people drinking 40s of High Life at the tap room. Hilariously also got some Founders Solid Gold this weekend for the light option at a party we were hosting and my lady's appraisal of it was: "Good! I'll definitely drink this... Not over a High Life, but it's good!"
Such a High Life weekend.

Just got here. The One Percent is stupid loving good. Fruit, booze, funk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Just got here. The One Percent is stupid loving good. Fruit, booze, funk.

We couldn't believe how good it was. I expected an unbalanced mess (but Off Color typically doesn't do 'messes') and got a delicious boozy cherry soda in the best possible way.
E: "boozy" but in a bourbon-y but only, what, 5.5% way???

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

We couldn't believe how good it was. I expected an unbalanced mess (but Off Color typically doesn't do 'messes') and got a delicious boozy cherry soda in the best possible way.
E: "boozy" but in a bourbon-y but only, what, 5.5% way???

Yeah, maybe my favorite beer in a while. When they announced it, I immediately thought of those old GI wilds that they aged in BCBS barrels. It was like that only easier drinking. Super complex, funky and a little sweet. So tasty.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Speaking of messes, the current batch of Transient's Obligatory- which has always been my favorite of their pales- is exactly that. It looks like chicken soup, which it didn't when he first started brewing it, and I swear to God it smells like loving B.O.

Also grabbed a 4 pack of Henry, which is more chocolatey than it has been in the past. Very good but different than the previous bottles I've had, which were much more hoppy-roasty.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
continuing my uncellaring efforts:

2016 Bourbon County Barleywine- none of them have had the complexity of the first 12oz release, but still a really good barleywine. no oxidation and really well-hidden alcohol. would gladly trade Sucaba for more...

2014 Rivertown Sour Cherry Porter- tasted like a watery homebrew gone lactic. not much porter character, not much tartness, just really bland with an oddly hot finish. dumped.

2012 Founders Better Half- oxidized, but not enough to keep me from drinking it. smooth, malty as gently caress, just a slight bit of residual stickiness, and maybe the tiniest hint of maple syrup. warm, but not hot, and very little barrel character beyond a vague oakiness in the finish. although i'm not mad at it, i definitely should have drank this a few years ago

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I walked into a store I'd never bought beer at before this week and picked up a sixer of Short's Obliviate, a 12% Belgian Quad. A great tape to blast while watching Michigan decide whether or not they want to win basketball games.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Anyone else going to East End for Gratitude day this weekend?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MunchE posted:

BL is cool as heck but their events are always way too loving crowded, I did 1 day of Week of Logic 2 years ago and wanted to die

2016 was a poo poo show, it was so poorly run (and tiny). Definitely turned it around (helps they bought the 3 other buildings next to them), last year and this year was a breeze to get a beer. Recommending showing up saturday for their signature Fundamental Observation pours.

Trip report day 1: The BEST beer by far was a collabo they're doing with Great Notion Called Paisley Cave Complex. Burbon BBL blueberry s'more stout. We ended up getting 3 pours of it. Watch for it and hord the gently caress outta it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

incoherent posted:

2016 was a poo poo show, it was so poorly run (and tiny). Definitely turned it around (helps they bought the 3 other buildings next to them), last year and this year was a breeze to get a beer. Recommending showing up saturday for their signature Fundamental Observation pours.

Trip report day 1: The BEST beer by far was a collabo they're doing with Great Notion Called Paisley Cave Complex. Burbon BBL blueberry s'more stout. We ended up getting 3 pours of it. Watch for it and hord the gently caress outta it.

The parking in the area is terrible; I went yesterday to pick up RFI for a friend who loves all matter of stouts and had to circle around a few times to find an open spot. There were rental security guards preventing people from parking in the neighboring empty office parks across the street, which only compounded the situation. Also, Week of Logic can go gently caress itself - there's no way in hell am I going to sit through weekday rush hour traffic to go to the OC.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sorry my dude you had a bad experience. On their social media updated everyone on sunday that they secured 100 spot lot down the street from a new brewery called...brewery X.

if you give it another chance just a heads up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

incoherent posted:

Trip report day 1: The BEST beer by far was a collabo ...

Hmm.

incoherent posted:

... they're doing with Great Notion Called Paisley Cave Complex. Burbon BBL blueberry s'more stout...

HMM.

incoherent posted:

... We ended up getting 3 pours of it. Watch for it and hord the gently caress outta it.

HMMMMMMM...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Don't take my word for it, rather the word of a globally trending beer list

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

incoherent posted:

Don't take my word for it, rather the word of a globally trending beer list

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
BRB going to the store to hord all the Guinness

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

BRB going to the store to hord all the Guinness

Same here except Im going to accidentally drink it instead

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also "Global Top Beers" and two are from a brewery that doesn't distribute out of california lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Same here except Im going to accidentally drink it instead

Who the gently caress actually drinks beer?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[glancing around nervously] uuhHHh what I meant to say was SUPER CHOCOLATE MOCHA BOURBON BARREL AGED MEXICAN CAKE STOUT

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[waving my hands around hypnotically] Juicy milkshake NEIPA. Creamsicle whale, trade-in value.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
[Jim Cramer Voice] SOMEONE ACTUALLY OPENED A CAN OF TURBO MAPLE SHAKE QUAD NEIPA, TRADE STOCKS ARE CRASHING SELL SELL SELLL

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

[Jim Cramer Voice] SOMEONE ACTUALLY OPENED A CAN OF TURBO MAPLE SHAKE QUAD NEIPA, TRADE STOCKS ARE CRASHING SELL SELL SELLL

"This is an opportune time to hord," thinks danbanana.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
love to hord beer

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
If any of you goons (probably Chigoons) have any OC Market Rate hanging about, now would be a good time to drink it. Cherry is coming through perfectly and it's really balanced. Honestly, it's probably a top 3 cherry beer for me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

If any of you goons (probably Chigoons) have any OC Market Rate hanging about, now would be a good time to drink it. Cherry is coming through perfectly and it's really balanced. Honestly, it's probably a top 3 cherry beer for me.

That had strawberries didn't it?

Never had it. It might be the only thing they've released I haven't gotten to try.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

danbanana posted:

Yeah, maybe my favorite beer in a while. When they announced it, I immediately thought of those old GI wilds that they aged in BCBS barrels. It was like that only easier drinking. Super complex, funky and a little sweet. So tasty.

What's BCBS, all I'm coming up with in my head is Blue Cross Blue Shield and it's probably not that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Shugojin posted:

What's BCBS, all I'm coming up with in my head is Blue Cross Blue Shield and it's probably not that.

If'n you're serious, Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nth Doctor posted:

If'n you're serious, Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout

I was, I'm really bad at abbreviations. Thank you.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Compusaurus posted:

Same, but it is a top 3 strawberry beer for me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

Same, but it is a top 3 strawberry beer for me.

To be fair, this isn't hard to do.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I'm an idiot. Meant Wunderkammer

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

love to hord beer

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Turns out it makes sense why Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale defined a style. It is really good and crushable.
Its been an age since I actively purchased any so I bought a case for a party this past weekend. Definitely NOT because it has a green label...and I do not regret anything. In fact I need to buy this more often and get back in the habit of reminding myself about classics more often.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fresh Cases go on sale all the time and sixers are often BOGO at local supermarkets. It's definitely become a staple at my house.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fresh Cases go on sale all the time and sixers are often BOGO at local supermarkets. It's definitely become a staple at my house.

Fresh SN? Please tell me where this is found. It is basically a wasteland in Chicago.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fat Lou posted:

Fresh SN? Please tell me where this is found. It is basically a wasteland in Chicago.

Yeah...I got a case that was 2 months old and was REALLY PUMPED. Granted I haven't checked Beer Temple or Binnys that might get more turn over...

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
This thread is too quick to mock people. I get that you're all old jaded beer curmudgeons who are too good for pastry stouts (unless they taste like green peppers) but Jesus. The guy liked a beer and wanted to share that with the thread. I get that you're all past stocking your cellars with the flavor of the week and the hoarding advice (plus the unfortunate spelling mistake) are probably the major issue here but still.

I'm sure a lot of it was good natured ribbing and most of you are probably fun to hang out with in person but a lot of you come off as assholes online.

Sorry having flashbacks to the response when I first popped into the thread and talked about razzling beers so I gotta stick up for incoherent.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fat Lou posted:

Florida, typically found 1-2 months old but depends on the store because some places just don't move it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

SN in CA is basically warehouse aged. Even day 1 on the shelf beer was bottled 6 weeks earlier. Can't imagine it's better elsewhere.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah...I got a case that was 2 months old and was REALLY PUMPED. Granted I haven't checked Beer Temple or Binnys that might get more turn over...

The latest SN drop to Chicago(3/17) did not include Pale Ale. Youngest Pale Ale in Chicago is 7 weeks right now.

Sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MunchE posted:

SN in CA is basically warehouse aged. Even day 1 on the shelf beer was bottled 6 weeks earlier. Can't imagine it's better elsewhere.

SNPA is bottle conditioned for two weeks and doesn't leave the warehouse until that's done

and it's not some dumb double dry hopped milkshake ipa, it can handle a month or two in the bottle/can without falling apart