Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

bartolimu posted:

Actual sign behind the bar at Hamilton's last night: "5th anniversary shirts on sale $10. Women's any size, men's small and medium only."

Ladies and gentlemen, beer culture demographics.

Unless I'm just loopy, I read that to mean they're out of the L/XL mens sizes because beer drinkers are portly slobs? Not to stereotype or anything though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Men's small representing :]

I just tried my first Founders Breakfast Stout. That may have been my favorite stout that I have ever had. It was phenomenal.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Men's small representing :]

I just tried my first Founders Breakfast Stout. That may have been my favorite stout that I have ever had. It was phenomenal.

It is basically a perfect beer, yes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ShaneB posted:

It is basically a perfect beer, yes.

It is one thing to hear that, and an entirely different thing to try it yourself. But, I'm not going to disagree with your statement. I seriously can't believe I only have 3 left. I am going to be very sad soon :P

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Been pounding Sierra Nevada Pale Ale cans today. Can't really find any faults in this beer.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
On my last FBS from yesterday. Might go buy more :ninja:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wattershed posted:

Unless I'm just loopy, I read that to mean they're out of the L/XL mens sizes because beer drinkers are portly slobs? Not to stereotype or anything though...

Congratulations, you got the joke!

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

bartolimu posted:

Actual sign behind the bar at Hamilton's last night: "5th anniversary shirts on sale $10. Women's any size, men's small and medium only."

Ladies and gentlemen, beer culture demographics.

It's the same thing with video game related merchandise, it's always the X and XL that sell out first, followed by L

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

bartolimu posted:

Congratulations, you got the joke!

I could just as easily see that go the other way, though, seeing as Hamilton's is such a hipster mecca and when I think hipsters I still picture the guy from At The Drive-In.

Also, it's a billion goddamn degrees today and my DIPA kicked yesterday. Way sad. This isn't RIS weather but it's practically all I have on hand. Jealous of you people elsewhere enjoying your breakfast stouts in autumnal weather.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

It's 95 in Vegas today and 105 here in San Diego. Seriously gently caress La Niña.

Churchill's sour fest was a total poo poo show. Only three bartenders, too short a time between letting in groups. People were standing at the bar for 45 minutes or longer to order. Servers were overwhelmed despite putting in outstanding effort, and their drink orders went through the same bartenders as everyone else's.

That said, the variety was excellent and the food was great. The kitchen was cranking things out quickly. People who showed up alone were probably frustrated by the wait, but going with a group meant even with the slow drink service we always had something to drink.

Lost Abbey Track 9 is cuvée de tomme with extra currants, and it tasted exactly like that. Very good, one of the best tracks yet. The Port helles, Road to Helles, is decent for the style and refreshing on a day as hot as today.

Tonight is probably going to include poor financial decisions at Toronado. Apparently they have Cable Car Kriek for a "reasonable" price, and tons of other stuff besides. My poor, poor wallet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bartolimu posted:

It's 95 in Vegas today and 105 here in San Diego. Seriously gently caress La Niña.

Churchill's sour fest was a total poo poo show. Only three bartenders, too short a time between letting in groups. People were standing at the bar for 45 minutes or longer to order. Servers were overwhelmed despite putting in outstanding effort, and their drink orders went through the same bartenders as everyone else's.

That said, the variety was excellent and the food was great. The kitchen was cranking things out quickly. People who showed up alone were probably frustrated by the wait, but going with a group meant even with the slow drink service we always had something to drink.

Lost Abbey Track 9 is cuvée de tomme with extra currants, and it tasted exactly like that. Very good, one of the best tracks yet. The Port helles, Road to Helles, is decent for the style and refreshing on a day as hot as today.

Tonight is probably going to include poor financial decisions at Toronado. Apparently they have Cable Car Kriek for a "reasonable" price, and tons of other stuff besides. My poor, poor wallet.
I actually showed up to Churchill's around 12 and they told me that I had to wait to get in. I got in like 15 minutes later after standing in 100 degree heat with my angry wife. When I got in, it was even hotter inside and I just left when I realized I would never in fact get any beer or have anywhere to put it because the place was just packed. I then went to Stone for lunch instead and they said it was a 75 minute wait for a table. :suicide:

I gave up and drove back home, stopping at Wings N Things one the way and getting a nice Miller Lite in revenge for my crappy craft beer day.

Edit: I always see a couple of bottles of Cable Car at Toronado. My friend once bought me a vintage bottle "on accident." He meant to get this years release and got one from like 3 years ago which ended up being an $80 purchase. The fact that Toronado is never ridiculously crowded is why its the best beer place in town for me.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 16, 2012

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Picked up some Three Floyds Moloko yesterday. Really enjoyed it, and was a pretty decent price ($7 for a bomber)

Found it at a small liquor store 35 minutes away as I heard they had a pretty large build a six pack collection. They did, but none of it was in a cooler. Mistakenly bought a Great Lakes Burning River that was bottled on 1/03/12 but it was still pretty good. Would really like to try it fresh.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I finally got out to the Victory brewpub today, but since I was driving I only had a Donnybrook stout. I was curious about it, because my go-to beer when I'm at the Sly Fox tasting room is their O'Reilly's stout. Both are < 4.0% Irish dry stouts, but I actually have to give Sly Fox the edge. The first time I had a sip of the O'Reilly's, I was instantly transported back to the Dublin airport, where I got a Guinness on tap at about 2am on a layover. Uncanny. Donnybrook is great too, it's complex with a rich mouthfeel, with a lot of chocolate tones. Obviously leave room for personal preference, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but good show Sly Fox.

I have to say that Victory's brewpub is nicer - about three times the size of SF's, as is their menu, better atmosphere, more seating options. But Sly Fox's pizza is better. At the end of the day, I think it would be impossible not to be happy in either place.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Noble Aleworks is doing a chile beer called Fire and Desire. It's Nobility IIPA infused with ghost chile, habaneros, scotch bonnet and chocolate. It somehow manages to have virtually no heat despite that chile pedigree. There's no discernible chocolate flavor either, but the habaneros and citra hops combine to give it a lot of apricot flavor. Nobility is a drat solid beer (since the new head brewer came in six months ago), and the additions enhance an already good product. It's on tap at the brewpub and there may be a few kegs going through distribution channels.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Man, I can't believe how perfect Lagunitas Daytime is. Easily one of my favorite pale ales anyone's put out. So much delicious hop flavor and complexity, so little alcohol.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Does anybody have recommendations for a good closet beer rack? Right now I'm using a metal wine rack from Ikea, but since it's horizontal I'm just using it for things I know I'm gonna drink in the next 3-6 months. Trying to find a nice rack that's at enough of an angle where I can store things for longer period of time but not have the beer touching the cap.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

deadwing posted:

Man, I can't believe how perfect Lagunitas Daytime is. Easily one of my favorite pale ales anyone's put out. So much delicious hop flavor and complexity, so little alcohol.

Holy poo poo I was just about to post this but now I dont have to, thank you!

edit: This reminds me a lot of Gumball head from what I can remember of it.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 17, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm finally drinking my Dogfish Head Positive Contact and boy does the yeast dominate here. There's a slight cider base on the intro but it's like they put a shot of watered down 99 Bananas in here as the banana is overly dominate and a warming alcohol finish comes in. This is good, but it's definitely very heavy on the banana and this is rather thick. This really reminds me of a slightly warmed up banana strawberry smoothie with a bit of alcohol on the finish.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Midorka posted:

I'm finally drinking my Dogfish Head Positive Contact and boy does the yeast dominate here. There's a slight cider base on the intro but it's like they put a shot of watered down 99 Bananas in here as the banana is overly dominate and a warming alcohol finish comes in. This is good, but it's definitely very heavy on the banana and this is rather thick. This really reminds me of a slightly warmed up banana strawberry smoothie with a bit of alcohol on the finish.

The yeast dominated so much for me that I basically just got straight-up garden variety witbier with a touch of fruit. None of that awesome sounding poo poo that was on the bottle. Just a witbier. One that masked the alcohol very well for the ABV, but nothing special at all.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

deadwing posted:

The yeast dominated so much for me that I basically just got straight-up garden variety witbier with a touch of fruit. None of that awesome sounding poo poo that was on the bottle. Just a witbier. One that masked the alcohol very well for the ABV, but nothing special at all.

Yeah I'm not picking up anything but a heavy banana and slight cider, maybe hints of strawberry. The alcohol I do get though on the finish and a bit more so on the nose. I feel like this beer would be something you would sip by the pool instead of a banana strawberry smoothie.

Modern Automaton
Sep 22, 2006
Dubiously Retarded

deadwing posted:

I'm with you completely. I'm not really into session beers because, well, I don't have to do much besides bartend and hang out drinking. This beer changed my mind, it's got a super nose on it and tastes amazing to boot. I feel like I'm drinking a 7% IPA but the morning after a six-pack I feel awesome. Hope they keep making it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

I'm finally drinking my Dogfish Head Positive Contact

Is that the one with cilantro in it? I'm one of those people that can't stand the taste of it, so I'm curious as to how it comes through in the beer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Manky posted:

Is that the one with cilantro in it? I'm one of those people that can't stand the taste of it, so I'm curious as to how it comes through in the beer.

I didn't pick up any herbal qualities in the beer, though I'm not familiar with cilantro, but there was nothing here that seemed new or off-putting in the beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Manky posted:

i hate cilantro with a burning passion (it's like biting into aluminum foil for me) and couldn't taste it at all in this beer, which was a drinkable-but-unexciting mixture of cider and wit.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

i hate cilantro with a burning passion (it's like biting into aluminum foil for me) and couldn't taste it at all in this beer, which was a drinkable-but-unexciting mixture of cider and wit.

Same feelings about Positive Contact here. I got no cilantro out of it, and it was more of sweet cidery bubbly thing to me.

Lagunitas Daytime is so amazing indeed :allears: As I'd said before, been much more into sessionable stuff lately and it's perfect. Scythe and Sickle's been making it's rounds as well and been enjoying that too.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Speaking of Lagunitas, after the quality decline of Lil Sumpin Sumpin, I hadn't bought it for a good couple months out of fear of ruining my opinion of an absolutely perfect beer.

Bought it again today on a whim and it's absolutely just as good as I remember. I am so excited.

Also my store mislabeled one 6pack of Ballast Point Sculpin at $8.95 :v:
Bought it immediately.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I went to a couple of beer shops today looking for Breakfast Stout. The first one said they never got their order, which is what they say every time they don't have something. Second store said they got 2 cases and a new employee let somebody buy all of it.:argh:

I finally found some at the grocery store, though, so it's all good. Going to be a swell night.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Captain Shortbus posted:

The first one said they never got their order, which is what they say every time they don't have something.

Sounds like somebody pissed off their distributor. :v:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

The sad part is, it's one of the largest beer and liquor chains in the KC metro area, with 11 large stores. But every time a special beer comes out, "We didn't get any".
Hell, when Saison Brett was released this year, they swore up and down that it wasn't going to be released until the following week. I went across the street to HyVee and got some there.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Sounds suspiciously like the workers are buying it for themselves / friends before anyone else gets to it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Shortbus posted:

The sad part is, it's one of the largest beer and liquor chains in the KC metro area, with 11 large stores. But every time a special beer comes out, "We didn't get any".
Hell, when Saison Brett was released this year, they swore up and down that it wasn't going to be released until the following week. I went across the street to HyVee and got some there.

Is FBS that hard to find in KC?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I honestly don't know. I had never tried it until about 4 months ago when I found a random 4 pack in a store, and hadn't seen it since.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

broom posted:

I got it in Wisconsin last Thursday. I thought founders usually took a while to get to us?

Splizwarf posted:

Might be I've either missed it or it's been sold out at our local beershop, I do live quite a bit closer than you. v:downs:v

Turns out I'm retarded and can't read a Google. Founders is in Grand Rapids Michigan. I'm in VA. You're a lot closer.

Google also suggests that the mid-Atlantic is part of a big Founders distribution expansion push over the last couple years. Why yes, you're welcome here, come on in!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
It just hit me I had 3 very good coffee/breakfast stouts this weekend: FBS, Beer Geek Breakfast (one of Mikkeller's better offerings; Very bitter coffee flavor), and one of my last Peche Mortel.

While I love FBS, I think Peche Mortel wins by a nose. BGB is excellent, but not quite on the same level.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

danbanana posted:

It just hit me I had 3 very good coffee/breakfast stouts this weekend: FBS, Beer Geek Breakfast (one of Mikkeller's better offerings; Very bitter coffee flavor), and one of my last Peche Mortel.

While I love FBS, I think Peche Mortel wins by a nose. BGB is excellent, but not quite on the same level.

I was solidly let down by BGB. Especially for the price, but then again, I say that about all Mikkeller's beers.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

b c n u posted:

I was solidly let down by BGB. Especially for the price, but then again, I say that about all Mikkeller's beers.

They, unlike, say, Brewdog, do make some good beer at least. BGBW is a very good coffee stout but certainly not worth the outrageous price tag. I felt similarly about the cognac BA version of it as well, though I was glad to have tried both.

Raspberry wine barrel Monk's Brew was really bizarre, but not really in a good or bad way. I could just remember thinking 'what the hell is this in my glass'.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I LOVED Brunch Weasel Cognac. Seriously loved it, though that poo poo was pricey.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Angry Grimace posted:

I actually showed up to Churchill's around 12 and they told me that I had to wait to get in. I got in like 15 minutes later after standing in 100 degree heat with my angry wife. When I got in, it was even hotter inside and I just left when I realized I would never in fact get any beer or have anywhere to put it because the place was just packed. I then went to Stone for lunch instead and they said it was a 75 minute wait for a table. :suicide:

I gave up and drove back home, stopping at Wings N Things one the way and getting a nice Miller Lite in revenge for my crappy craft beer day.

I showed up at like 9pm and they still had everything on tap. Sunday was dollar off beers and burgers day and it was a ghost town, and they still had everything on tap, except maybe the Ballast Point cask stuff.

When it comes to Churchills, Stone, and other bars doing festivals, never go the day of. You'll have a guaranteed bad experience, deal with employees who are for sure having the worst day of their life, and enough sweaty beer geek people to make you hate yourself. Just go the day after and enjoy yourself then. I'm speaking as someone who works these festivals and universally hates them all.

Also, why weren't you at Offbeat's grand opening??

Offbeat is right around the corner from Stone and is a pretty awesome operation run by some old coworkers of mine. I usually tell Stone Brewing visitors to also check out Lost Abbey, now I tell them to go to both breweries. Their Scotch Ale is fantastic.

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 18, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Daytime IPA is like Lil Sumpin Sumpin Lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I am so glad I decided to check out my local store tonight, not only did I find the last bottle of Jefferson's Reserve bourbon, but I found they were pushing the last of the Green Flash Rayon Vert 4 packs for $8.99 and my girlfriend, who normally drinks Yuengling, loves it! I'm buying the rest for us, such a great price too.