Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mahoning posted:

Milkshake ipa

Its really hard to drink 12 of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

what beer goes best with the downfall of America? pastry stout?

American Slime Ale

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Sirotan posted:

Le Fin du Monde

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Le Fin du Monde

:hmmyes:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Le Fin du Monde

poo poo.

I haven't had a La Fin du Monde in way too long.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Isn’t that Canadian beer?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mahoning posted:

Isn’t that Canadian beer?

Yeah but this poo poo is gonna spread so :shrug:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nullfunction posted:

American Slime Ale

Ah gently caress, I was holding off on opening that until I could share it with somebody.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Smooj. I know it's not beer. Don't @ me.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

Ah gently caress, I was holding off on opening that until I could share it with somebody.

Truly, an ASA must be aged in one's cellar to be properly appreciated.

highme
May 25, 2001

dphi posted:

Truly, an ASA must be aged in one's cellar to be properly appreciated.

I hope my beer fridge counts.

If you haven’t had it yet, Uptown has Falling Sunshine from Block 15 on tap right now. Its probably my favorite recent beer.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

consensual poster posted:

Smooj. I know it's not beer. Don't @ me.

It's what we deserve. :d2a:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I haven't had anything from Dogfish Head in ages; anything worth tracking down at a shop or the brewery? I'm in rohobeth for the weekend.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Toebone posted:

I haven't had anything from Dogfish Head in ages; anything worth tracking down at a shop or the brewery? I'm in rohobeth for the weekend.

The stuff from the wood program is pretty good, Solera #1 & Wildhood are available at the rehoboth pub and very solid esp for the price. The Veil collaboration is pretty good too and available at the Brewery if you make it out this way.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I know some of you are familiar with Martin House and live in the distribution area, and if you can find it, I highly recommend trying this while it's around.

If only for the novelty of it. It smells EXACTLY like pizza. And not just pizza, but like, idunno an entire cheap pizza joint. And tastes like it too. Freaky as all hell. I don't think I could drink more than one in a go, but very interesting to try and fun to share with people.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just moved (back) to the US and I’m seeing shelves lined with alcoholic carbonated water. It didn’t exist the last time I lived here. Is this stuff just basically like vodka soda but in a can and less alcoholic?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
And alsp way more sugary because americans are babies who hate bitter foods/drinks

Hauki
May 11, 2010

zima's back baby

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

ReidRansom posted:

I know some of you are familiar with Martin House and live in the distribution area, and if you can find it, I highly recommend trying this while it's around.

If only for the novelty of it. It smells EXACTLY like pizza. And not just pizza, but like, idunno an entire cheap pizza joint. And tastes like it too. Freaky as all hell. I don't think I could drink more than one in a go, but very interesting to try and fun to share with people.

Oh god, I'll see if my store has that after work.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just moved (back) to the US and I’m seeing shelves lined with alcoholic carbonated water. It didn’t exist the last time I lived here. Is this stuff just basically like vodka soda but in a can and less alcoholic?

Actually some are more alcoholic ! Get yerself a 4 loko seltzer. poo poo is like 14% abv

highme
May 25, 2001

Most of the selzers (and please correct me if I'm wrong) are carbonated apple wine with some flavoring. I know you can buy vodka sodas in a can in Canada and probably in other states that aren't Oregon.

Spanish Manlove posted:

And alsp way more sugary because americans are babies who hate bitter foods/drinks

The mainstream seltzers like White Claw are all pretty low in sugar & calories. That's one of the reasons they're so popular. I don't know how widely distributed it is, but the reigning champ of seltzer for me right now is Seek Out from Corvallis, OR and only has 2g of sugar per can. The meyer lemon raspberry flavor it perfect for hot summer days, with or without vodka mixed in.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

highme posted:

Most of the selzers (and please correct me if I'm wrong) are carbonated apple wine with some flavoring.

Most of them are just fermented sugar water with flavoring.

highme
May 25, 2001

This is me, properly chagrined.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Most of the national brand hard seltzers use artificial flavorings and are just... ok, but pretty much all of the ones made by local breweries (around me, anyway) use real fruit and are much better for it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hauki posted:

zima's back baby

I wasn’t an adult when zika was a thing, was it just carbonated soda water with alcohol too? For some reason I thought it was like a wine cooler. Actually I have no idea what a wine cooler is except that high school kids drank it and I wasn’t cool enough to hang out with them.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Actually some are more alcoholic ! Get yerself a 4 loko seltzer. poo poo is like 14% abv

I thought 4 loko was banned cause people kept chugging them and poisoning themself or something.

highme posted:

The mainstream seltzers like White Claw are all pretty low in sugar & calories. That's one of the reasons they're so popular. I don't know how widely distributed it is, but the reigning champ of seltzer for me right now is Seek Out from Corvallis, OR and only has 2g of sugar per can. The meyer lemon raspberry flavor it perfect for hot summer days, with or without vodka mixed in.

I mean I’ve been drinking vodka soda since I saw a friend order one… about 11 years ago? I get them specifically cause it gets me drunk, I like carbonated water, and there’s no sugar. Why would I want a vodka soda lite with sugar in it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought 4 loko was banned cause people kept chugging them and poisoning themself or something.

The original 4loko had caffeine in it so you'd drink it all night and never pass out and eventually get alcohol poisoning. They stopped marketing it as an alcoholic energy drink and removed the caffeine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why would I want a vodka soda lite with sugar in it.

because you're too lazy to mix it yourself and there's a stigma on vodka, where you seem like an alcoholic to others if you drink it and also you have to drive to a special store to get it in most places in the US.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Spanish Manlove posted:

because you're too lazy to mix it yourself and there's a stigma on vodka, where you seem like an alcoholic to others if you drink it and also you have to drive to a special store to get it in most places in the US.

And they're much more portable.

highme
May 25, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean I’ve been drinking vodka soda since I saw a friend order one… about 11 years ago? I get them specifically cause it gets me drunk, I like carbonated water, and there’s no sugar. Why would I want a vodka soda lite with sugar in it.

I’d never order a seltzer in any kind of bar. Their place is absolutely in a cooler on a hot day when you are crushing cans of something with friends.

My wife’s drink of choice is a vodka/soda with a lemon. She’s tried a few different seltzers and hated them all.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
There are also alcoholic soda, juice, smoothies,kombucha,seltzer water, and powder.

Seltzer water was a big boom here in the States because it offered a very low calorie low carb and sugar intake. Kinda the health conscious drink of choice. For people who wanted a light beer who hate light beers.

If ya really wanna get into it, people sell canned mixed cocktails ! Craft vodka sodas in 12 oz cans or gin n tonics and rum n cokes

Ectera ectera

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m pretty sure that the hard seltzers aren’t fermented at all but are simply seltzer water, alcohol, flavor, and sugar mixed together. One of the (Gypsy) breweries I sell that makes seltzers had a delay over the summer because the ethanol they ordered for the seltzers was used by the brewery where they were brewing to make hand sanitizer.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Mahoning posted:

I’m pretty sure that the hard seltzers aren’t fermented at all but are simply seltzer water, alcohol, flavor, and sugar mixed together. One of the (Gypsy) breweries I sell that makes seltzers had a delay over the summer because the ethanol they ordered for the seltzers was used by the brewery where they were brewing to make hand sanitizer.

Some are fermented, some are alcohol w/ water added. Depends on the brand and what your license is like. Breweries do the ferment thing specifically because it avoids using distilled product which can be a no no as an additive depending on your licensing

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The original 4loko had caffeine in it so you'd drink it all night and never pass out and eventually get alcohol poisoning. They stopped marketing it as an alcoholic energy drink and removed the caffeine.

Fun fact, there was a documentary making the rounds about a decade ago called Beer Wars and a big portion of it was devoted to some marketing lady from Sam Adams trying to market a gimmick lager with caffeine called Moonshot

Because of the Government banning caffeine in alcohol to combat 4 Loko killing college kids, Moonshot went from a lovely lager with caffeine that nobody wanted to a lovely lager without caffeine that even less people wanted and it put the company out of business

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Beer thread - La Fin du Monde is a thread favorite, right?

e: just ordered it. Delicious!

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 24, 2021

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Feels like it's been forever since I had it but yeah, Fin Du Monde is great.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dango Bango posted:

Beer thread - La Fin du Monde is a thread favorite, right?

e: just ordered it. Delicious!

One of my favorites for sure

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

ReidRansom posted:

I did end up having this. The first couple sips were ? but it ended up growing on me. Everyone who tried it compared it to the lunchable pizza sauce. Just a bit too heavy on the oregano.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
A two part response:

A. La Fin du Monde is very tasty and a well crafted beer. It takes some flack because it's got that same Unibroue yeast characteristic flavor that all their beers have, which can be kinda polarizing.

B. Alcoholic seltzers in the U.S. are almost exclusively fermented malt beverages, as opposed to adding distilled spirits or wines to fizzy water, due to radically different (higher) tax bills on these products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

CleverHans posted:

B. Alcoholic seltzers in the U.S. are almost exclusively fermented malt beverages, as opposed to adding distilled spirits or wines to fizzy water, due to radically different (higher) tax bills on these products.

It's not taxes. It's simply state-based regulations on what booze a business can produce. Most states have separate license requirements for brewing and for distilling. This can even be ingredient-based. Off Color had to spend months getting a license to brew sake, which functionally is no different than brewing beer other than ingredients and process:

https://brewingindustryguide.com/case-study-off-color-brewing/

So most places making seltzer don't have the option to dump grain alcohol into sparkling water.