Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?
So, what's the opinion on RJ Rocker beers? Never had it before, saw it for the first time at the liquor store the other day. Bought the Black Perle, a dark IPA with a lot of perle hops. I'm generally not crazy about black IPA's but it's supposed to be good I guess. I'm always happy to try something from a new brewery so looking forward to it, just haven't heard much about them anywhere at all so wondering if they have any other good beers I should try or whatever. Store is supposed to get in some sampler packs from them too so I might pick one up, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

if you're curious and it's the next thing you haven't tried, go for it, but the regular lineup is nothing special.

That's about what I figured, thanks. I'm glad I don't have to go try more from them because I've been falling behind on my drinking lately, got sick but was still buying beer anyways so now I have like a weeks worth of booze to drink. Poor me!

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I'll be in Anaheim this weekend for the Bruery Reserve Club event. Are there any bottle shops in the Anaheim/Orange/Tustin area that could supplement the selection at Bruery Provisions?
Haven't bothered to go yet but I've had a few recommendations for this place, Hollingshead Deli. They're supposed to be pretty good.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
Man, hit up Bruery Provisions earlier since I was in the neighborhood. Great idea. Did the specialty flight, 5 2 oz samplers for $8. Filmishmish or something like that, an apricot sour, was pretty drat great. Super refreshing. I would love to have a couple of bottles of that for the summer. Not too acidic but just that nice tart lemony funky goodness, think it was probably brett. Humulus lager was just a heavily hopped lager, also a great hot weather beer. Tasted like it had a good amount of citra. Sour in the Rye was probably my favorite, that was a bit more acidic and lip puckering and complex and great. Reminded me a bit of Supplication. White Oak was good, but maybe a little sweet and oaky for my liking, but would probably age pretty drat well. Last was chocosaurus rye, the collaboration between Bruery/ Bootleggers. Really chocolatey, but I wasn't crazy about the mouthfeel all that rye gave it. Overall it was good though. Definitely gotta go there more often, it's not that much of a drive from the homebrew shop I go to anyways. And I need lots of money to blow on bottles since all the ones I wanted were like 20-30 a bottle. So so good though.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
Yeah, Red Poppy has been pretty tough to find this year, I don't know what's up with that. Just this past summer I was able to find 2011 and even a couple of 2010 bottles still, but as soon as this years came out it was all gone and I haven't seen it again since. That's a bummer they used to have flights of the other beers too at Provisions, there were some other non-bruery beers I wanted to try but I still had to drive. Speaking of bruery provisions poo poo, I should've asked if they had any red poppy. I know for sure they had cuvee de tomme, I just didn't even think to check for red poppy though. Oh well.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

I'm surprised there's not more April fool's beer jokes.

This Bruery canning mass release got a small chuckle out of me.

I saw that just like 5 minutes after waking up and got excited at the prospect of 12/16 oz cans instead of 25 oz bottles. Then I remembered it was april fools day :(

So, I recently tried a couple of beers by Knee Deep Brewing, who I've never really heard of until recently but a local bar's been getting their beer in. Their citra pale ale was pretty tasty, and this new one, a saison called Ryedentity crisis, was really loving good. Guess I'll be hitting up that bar more often since they just get rotating styles by them, one keg at a time. Anybody know of any other brews of theirs I should be on the lookout for?

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

2010 J.W. Lees Harvest Ale Port
Oh no. I had the 09 calvados cask version of this beer before, absolutely hated it. Between four of us we couldn't finish a 3 ounce pour. So, so loving sweet. Whatever else was going on might've been ok if it wasn't for that overwhelming sweetness. It was the only beer I did not like at all that day.

In other news, it's a hoppy weekend for me. Had a bottle of Knee Deep's Simtra last night and drat, was that good. So bitter and fragrant and fruity and awesome. Probably the closest thing I've had to it was PtY. Tonight I'll be drinking a bottle of Pure Hoppiness. The end of my shift can't come soon enough.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
Local bar had a bottle share the other night. Aside from a bottle of Santa's Little Helper going missing (non bourbon barrel version, fortunately) it was pretty good, tried some good stuff and some downright awful stuff. Some of the more memorable beers were:

Tilquin Geuze- Really, really loving good. Nothing amazing, but just solid. Lots of tart and funky goodness going on, good carbonation, refreshing as hell. Wish we'd saved it for a bit later in the night though, would've been great to cleanse the palate with it.

Founders curmudgeons better half 2012- only had one sip, but a drat good strong ale. Definitely got the maple on the nose but it wasn't retardedly sweet, which leads me to...

120 minute IPA- dammit, what the gently caress? There's no way it's 18% when it's so drat sweet. It's just a barleywine, and not even a very good one.

Rogue voodoo maple bacon blah blah blah- watery smokey weirdness. I suspect the little bucket for pouring out beer was full of mostly this and 120 minute.

2 year aged Mephistopholes- An awesome 16% stout, drinking great, didn't taste the booze but definitely felt it.

09 Vertical Epic- Still great and one of my favorite Stone beers ever.

Surly Heady Topper- A really good IPA, but not worth trading for or anything if you already have access to lots of good hoppy beer.

Black Tuesday- Almost too sweet for me and didn't quite live up to the hype (like most hyped up beers), but still a pretty loving great stupidly strong stout.

Drank other stuff too but those were the memorable ones. Missing bottle of Santa's was comp'd with a bottle of Black Xantus which was good, but certainly no Santa's Little Helper. All in all, a good night, looking forward to the next time something like that goes on.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007

air- posted:

Also, it's not Surly, Alchemist makes Heady Topper :v:

My mistake, I guess I was misinformed about who brews it. Neither brewery distributes here as far as I know so I'm not too familiar with their lineups. Still pretty drat tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
New batch of Salvation floating around :dance: I am a happy, happy man. I just hope this batch is as awesome as the last one was. Also, the fact that this one is stamped with a "Bottled On" date instead of "Batch #" (and like $2 cheaper than last batch) makes me optimistic that Russian River will be brewing this more often. I really hope they do, it's been over a year since the last batch and it's been so miserably tempting to break in to my aged bottles. I know it'll never be as available as say, Pliny, but hey I can dream.

Also, got another bottle of Simtra. Knee Deep brewing has yet to disappoint. Love this stuff. And the Victory at Sea float looks amazing, I was only able to pick up 1 bottle this year and I think I should totally devote some of it to making myself a float, because that just looks like a loving great idea dammit.