Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I don't know what the rules surrounded the wiki are, but I've been going through the Philadelphia section and doing small write ups for a bunch of establishments that I frequent. It's kinda hard to do Philly bars since it seems like even the shittiest dive bars usually have a couple rotating kegs of good stuff. But I guess that's why we have Philly Tap Finder.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

wattershed posted:

Consider some big barrel-aged imperial stouts that are noted to have big vanilla notes in them. Probably not something you're going to come across in MD, but Firestone Walker's Sucaba is all vanilla right now (it's a barleywine but still along those lines).

East coast people, what types of things along those lines are available around where he's at? Southern Tier's sugar bombs make it to MD?

I was just at State Line Liquors in Elkton MD on Saturday and I bought a bottle of Sucaba. State Line is the beer Mecca of the Delaware/Pennsylvania/Maryland area. I drive from Philly and it's about 45 minutes, but totally worth it. They probably have 1500-2000 beers (not an exaggeration). Whatever he's looking for he can probably find there, if he's willing to drive. However, there are very many decent small shops all over MD.

My girlfriend is a big milk stout drinker and she prefers Lancaster over Left Hand. And you can find that everywhere in this area since it's made in PA. Also Young's Double Chocolate Stout is all over the place. Southern Tier is everywhere in MD. I like their Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

As far as local MD breweries go try Evolution (which is in Salisbury and is just starting to be distributed further around the mid-atlantic) and DuClaw in Bel Air which makes some pretty good stouts and porters. You should be able to find bottles or cans of both in any decent local liquor store.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 11, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Monk's just tapped Pliny the Younger. I figured I'd go walk over and see if I could grab one for lunch since I didn't even try to go to any of the other openings in the area and Monk's is 4 blocks from my office... Well, the line stretches out the door and around the corner. Probably 200 people waiting. Guess there's always next year.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The guy in the office next to me went to a bar this weekend with some friends to get PTY. They waited in line, got inside, and by the time they sat down the keg was done. To make up for it, the bar tapped a keg of Heady Topper for everyone who missed out.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Retemnav posted:

Here's a question that has been bugging me: why do so many breweries call barleywines "barleywine style ales"? I've seen this on numerous bottles. Barleywine IS a drat style of ale, it's like saying "ATM machine." Are they just worried that people will not think it's a beer, since it's called a wine?

The first barley wine produced in the US was labeled that way, probably for that exact reason. And on the other end of the spectrum you have breweries using the generic name "ale" on their barley wines. I'm looking at you JW Lees Harvest Ale. So misleading but so delicious. It's like drinking port. Not at all what I'm thinking when I read "ale" on the label.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

air- posted:

Correct, labeling isn't as strict here anymore and that must've been the push that Founders and Firestone Walker needed to step into our market.

In other "Texas is hosed up" aka the sky is blue news: a senator here took about $40,000 in contributions from distributors. This past week, he filed a bill to legislation that would screw over craft breweries here pretty hard by fixing the price for how much a brewery could sell their distribution rights. The only group that would benefit from this out of the three tier system is... the distributors :monocle:

This ordeal has pissed off the entire industry. Including InBev!
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Beer-bills-get-committee-hearing-senator-urges-4331370.php?t=b8667274ac97c6371e

Supposedly have come to some sort of compromise, but no final word yet!
http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2013/03/brewers-distributors-said-to-reach-compromise-on-beer-legislation/

:siren: e: Oh here we go!! Brewpubs can distribute and breweries can now have taprooms in Texas. gently caress yeah for progress. :siren:
http://www.texasbeverageindustry.com/?p=607

Reading this made me feel less bad about the state of PA liquor laws. But then I saw Texas is actually making some progress. We still have poo poo like "unregistered beer" being confiscated in pseudo-prohibition style raids.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

jerkstores posted:

Pitman. I haven't been to that one. The one in West Deptford is decent but I rarely make trips further than that because I never know what is in stock anywhere. drat stores need better twitter accounts.

I'm in Wenonah all the time and I've stopped in the Joe Canal's on 45 a bunch. They have a better than average selection, but it's still not amazing. If there's something better than that please let me know.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Midorka posted:

Okay so here's a breakdown, broken up by "areas" I usually do when I do a beer run:

West Deptford Area: They have a good singles selection from Struise to Bear Republic stuff I've not seen anywhere else in Jersey, not to mention probably the best selection for sours within 2-3 hours, maybe.

Less than an hour away, just outside Newark DE is State Line Liquors in MD. It's ridiculous. If you've never been there it is well worth the drive. A bit pricey, but they have a little bit of everything. I've picked up Firestone Walker, Bruery, AleSmith, Terrapin, etc. And their imports section is completely insane. That's my goto store. Their website is kind of a mess but the store is organized well.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Is anyone in the Philly area going to Split Thy Skull? It's being hosted at Tattooed Mom this year. They'll have a dozen barley wines and strong ales on tap. No tickets or fee required. Most of my friends hate beer or are not very adventurous. Luckily for me my girlfriend is really into beer. They are still finalizing the taps, but hopefully they'll have something interesting.

Website: http://www.tattooedmomphilly.com/events/2013/03/30/split-thy-skull-xvii

And speaking of interesting barleywines, I was at The Pope and they had Weyerbacher Insanity on tap. It was pretty good. I had pretty much given up on Weyerbacher because their beers all taste way too boozy for me. But Insanity tasted pretty decent and smelled like gummy worms and. Not in a bad way. If that makes any sense.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Am I the only one here who HASN'T bought the voodoo donut beer? The bottle reminds me too much of Pepto Bismol. And after reading the reactions maybe that's a good thing. Is it just the novelty of the flavor that turns people off? Was it a limited release? And if not, who keeps buying it?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Another question: when did Cantillon become super scarce? The last time I went to my local bottle shop they had none. Previously the shelves were always fully stocked. And now i'm sitting in Monk's and they are either out or low on every Cantillon bottle. And they have a 1 bottle limit now. Did I miss something or has it always been like this and someone found the stash at my local bottle shop and raided it?

PS drinking PtE for the first time and enjoying it very much.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 15, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I made a run to my favorite bottle shop earlier this afternoon with the intention of picking up a few darker beers to round out my cellar. Well, things started off ok, but then I got sidetracked. Ended up with this...

DuClaw Divine Retribution #2
Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break
Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Harviestoun Old Engine Oil Engineer's Reserve
Bruery Tart of Darkness
Firestone Walker Abacus

The Abacus and Tart of Darkness were last minute additions as I was walking by the shelf. I couldn't resist.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm a huge Harviestoun fan. It's been one of my favorite beers for years. I've had the 12, 18, 30, and I have a bottle of 40 in my cellar right now. I also drank an Old Engine Oil and an Old Engine Oil Engineer's Reserve last night.

There is definitely a difference between different barrels. The smoothness of the peat and smoke flavors being more balanced in the older editions. But I'm a scotch drinker so maybe that plays a role.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

crazyfish posted:

I'm actually not that big on Oarsman. If you want a really solid berliner, track down this stuff: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23495/36378 It's probably the best regularly available example of a berliner.

Round Guys brewery near Philadelphia makes a Berliner Weisse that I think is actually better than that one. They've only been open for about a year and they just started bottling but I had it on tap during beer week last year and it blew my mind. The nose is straight funky cheese. But the taste is lemons and malt. A really nice balance. Really funky. Super smooth. A great effort from a relatively new local brewery that is already experimenting and coming up with some really great brew. I'm expecting great things to come from them.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27844/76354

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

dakana posted:

I inadvertently aged a few different beers about 7-8 months. Founder's Breakfast Stout aged really well. Dogfish Head 90 minute was pretty good. Mount Carmel Amber Ale was alright. Lilja's Heifer Weizen was... not the best, and it foamed like crazy.

Hops die over time. The best beers to age are big strong beers, high alcohol content, and pretty much anything dark. The only things I really keep in my cellar are barley wines, imperial stouts, belgian style ales and sours. I also buy a couple bottles of Nogne O Peculiar Yule every year and let them sit until the following Christmas because the spice notes are way too intense on a new bottle, but the whole thing mellows really nicely after a year or two.

This is what I'm currently sitting on. Some of this is for drinking now, but a majority of it is for later.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AntSnKdZTbwBdG5UV3J4dzg5QUQ0dHBUMkxubzVYaWc#gid=0

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Oh, this conversation again? I'll just drop this here: http://watchdog.org/75381/pa-liquor-privatization-vote-a-first-step-towards-free-market-industry/

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

My neighbor works at a pretty decent bar in the neighborhood. I was in there two weeks ago shooting the poo poo about beer. So last night I'm walking out of my house and he hollers over saying he's got something for me. Goes back into his house and hands me a bottle of Old Rasputin XIV Anniversary. Life is good.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

ChiTownEddie posted:

Speaking of Evil Twin. What should I try by them (him?)?

I really like Evil Twin and I pick up bottles of new stuff whenever I see them, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that everyone else has: they make some other decent beer, but you can get the same quality elsewhere for lower prices. In my opinion the best are Lil' B and Imperial Biscotti Break. If you haven't had those it's probably worth it to go seek them out and give them a try, especially Imperial Biscotti Break. I'm also a huge fan of Freudian Slip, but as was stated earlier: it can be polarizing (I love it).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Saint Darwin posted:

It's just that you listed ones I can find at any store that's got better stock than a case of Coors, and sometimes in places that even have that and a few 6 packs of "better" beers.

Are there places that release more consistently good beers? Probably! I want to find them! What is an as-easy-to-find-but-better brewery to you, personally?

edit: What do you think of Stone? They seem to be as easy to find as those. Or Dogfish Head? Or Heavy Seas if it even makes it out to wherever you are? Guess where I live :rolleyes:

Where are you? DFH is Delaware and Heavy Seas is Maryland so I'm assuming you are in my area. I grew up on the Delmarva peninsula and currently live in Philly. Therefore I shall let the schooling commence:

Victory is a PA brewery and is readily available throughout the mid-atlantic. Beers to look out for are Hop Devil and Prima Pils.
Philadelphia Brewing Company is starting to be distributed further. Walt Wit, Kenzinger, and Joe Porter are probably their best. Some people like Fleur de Lehigh but it tastes like perfume to me.
Yards definitely is around. The Philadelphia Pale Ale is pretty tasty. Most of their beers are pretty good. Except I hate Brawler, but everyone else seems to love it.
Evolution is a relatively new brewery that operates out of Salisbury that makes some killer beer. They are kinda blowing up the mid-atlantic. I hope they make it big because I was there when they had a tiny rear end brew house in a garage in Hebron and they were already making really great beer. Definitely worth checking out, and definitely available in the area.
Burley Oak is in Berlin and if you can make it there they occasionally have something interesting on tap.
DuClaw is another Maryland brewery that I've started seeing a lot of lately. They can be hit or miss, but at least they're local! Try some of their beer! You might like it!
Flying Dog is in Maryland. They're literally in every liquor store on the east coast.

There are tons of local beers worth checking out. This thread is just mostly inhabited by midwest and west coast posters.

And this list doesn't even scratch the surface of the out of state beers that are available to you. But if you want to find those you've got to identify a decent shop near you. Where are you exactly?

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 21, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

bartolimu posted:

No it's actually not very much like either of those things. But thanks for trying. I'm mostly with Ubik on this one - gypsy brewers are a neat concept, but I'd like to see more recognition for the brewery that did the actual work. Just mentioning the brewery's name in big type somewhere on the bottle would be a nice start.

The restaurant comparison is valid. The executive chef at a large restaurant isn't preparing the food, he's just designing the menu and taking care of other restaurant duties. In the case of someone like Wolfgang Puck, he's literally not even on the site. He's just designing the menu (potentially in conjunction with the executive chef) and leaving it in their hands to execute it.

However, the work is skilled work, and to pull it off you need to be incredibly talented. And, for example, if you are the sous chef at Vetri or Daniel you get a lot of credit.

And I definitely do agree that it would be nice to see the same sort of recognition for the brewers who are executing the skilled labor portion of the brewing.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

zedprime posted:

From an industrial background I find it kind of interesting the personal involvement and potentially egos involved when a product is seen as arty or whatever you want to call it.

For example, the dude on the toilet paper line at Georgia Pacific, who is no less skilled than a prep chef or assistant brewer, probably doesn't give a second thought that the TP made on extra line capacity is going to say Kirkland Signature instead of GP.

What about the guy who hand rolls his own ~artisinal toilet paper~?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

It's probably super polarizing but i'm drinking a Green Flash Palate Wrecker right now and it's delicious. Super hoppy. Almost painfully so. Tastes like grapefruit rind and pine resin but with a really nice malt undertone that you don't find in a lot of one note hop bombs. Are there any other beers I should be on the look out for that are similar?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

LeeMajors posted:

Worst beer loving ever.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/de-molen-bed-breakfast/152323/

Imagine straining nutsweat through old coffee grounds, then drinking it mid-colonoscopy. It is that awful.

I actually liked this. It wasn't amazing or anything but it certainly wasn't the worst beer I've ever had. This is from the tasting notes of my first bottle...

quote:

On first sip, the flavor is iced coffee. Carbonation. Slightly hoppy. No flavors really develop. They just fade. Very one note. This is a pale ale with coffee in it. Yep.

Overall impression is: interesting. I don’t usually think of coffee being in the flavor profile of a pale ale. But it does sort of complement the hops pretty well.

I don't think I've had many really "bad" beers. Except for things that are unintentionally bad from improper storage or bottle defects. Even weird DFH stuff doesn't really come across as bad to me. It's just experimental. And sometimes it impresses me (DFH Black & Blue is a favorite of mine). Sometimes I'll get something from a brewpub that's just a poor example of a style. But again, I don't really consider them bad. At least they're drinkable. The worst beer I've ever had was Anchor Christmas Ale in 2009. It tasted like liquified evergreen needles. And I still finished the bottle.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 25, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Since I know there are some mid-atlantic goons here I'm just going to throw this out here: If you are planning on going to Ocean City MD or Rehobeth or Dewey this summer make a stop at Burley Oak Brewery in Berlin MD. It's not far off route 50 making it about a 15 minute detour from Ocean City. I was there this past weekend and was was pretty impressed with their current line-up. My favorite was Rude Boy. It's a bit stronger and darker than what I usually think an amber should be, but regardless it's got some really nice flavor going on. Lots of malt and cherry. Really easy to drink, making it a bit dangerous at 9% ABV.

I don't think they've started distributing very far out of the area. One of the bars I was at in Ocean City had Rude Boy on tap, but that was it. And they don't bottle, but they do fill growlers. In any case, it's worth the trip. I'd say for most people it's probably a better trip than DFH, just because DFH's taplist is way more experimental and weird than the stuff they actually bottle (think about that for a minute).

edit- Also, I just realized that for as much as I bitch about the PA beer laws, every cloud has a silver lining. Since we can only buy beer by the case here every once in a while you go into a liquor store and find something magical. For me it was a case of Marshal Zhukov bombers. Not many people would buy a whole case of that. But I would. And I did.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 26, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Good to hear. That JW Lees is calling to me, too, so good to hear. I'll probably be hitting it up solo on Thursday to give some of the taps time to switch out and have a go at something new. As for the lady, I think she just wasn't feeling an event that night--got dragged along probably.

JW Lees is something I always seek out. It's so rare to see it on tap around here that I always make a point of going out of my way to have a taste. I really enjoy the sherry cask. It drinks almost like a port. The lagavulin cask was a bit of a disappointment. I think it picked up too many competing flavors and just didn't work for me. And I love lagavulin so it was almost a double disappointment. I have yet to see the calvados cask on tap anywhere around here but I do have a 2010 bottle in the cellar that I've been saving.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Just a reminder to anyone who had been thinking about going... Split Thy Skull barley wine festival at Tattooed Mom's is tomorrow, 3/30 from 1-6pm. So far they haven't released a full tap list, but they did spoil Troeg's Flying Mouflan and DuClaw Devil's Milk. I have a feeling they will probably have Abacus on tap as well since I know Good Dog just tapped it so there are definitely kegs floating around. But that's just a guess.

Also, last night I opened the bottle of Old Rasputin XIV Anniversary that my neighbor gave me and it was amazing. Insanely good. One of the best BA stouts I've ever had.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 29, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The full list for Split Thy Skull was released this morning and it's a little underwhelming. But I'm still heading over in about an hour.

Rogue Old Crustacean
Troeg's Flying Mouflan
Philadelphia Brewing Company Shackamaximum
Iron Hill The Situation Golden Barleywine
Widmer Old Embalmer
Duclaw Devil's Milk
Duck Rabbit Barleywine
Boulder Killer Penguin
Allagash Odyssey
Dogfish Head Old School
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian

Kinda surprised that Abacus isn't on the list, but not really disappointed because I drank some on tap at Good Dog yesterday. The Iron Hill jumps out at me because I don't think I've ever seen Iron Hill outside of their own brewpubs. Kinda interested in giving that a try and I never go there since I moved into the city proper. Also the Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian has been on my list and I haven't seen it on tap before and couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle without tasting first.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Yesterday was a beer-filled adventure. I went to a barleywine festival and got to try a few I haven't had before. Mostly good. Some godawful.

The best of the day was Troeg's Flying Mouflan. It had definitely been cellared a bit because the hops had mostly vanished. What was left was a nicely balanced amber. The alcohol was extremely well hidden. Buy two bottles of this when you see it. Open one immediately and save one for 6 months. Completely different beers. Awesome stuff.

Allagash Odyssey was good, but honestly it tasted like a boozier version of Allagash White. Maybe it's just me but I feel like all of their beers have the same flavor profile. Which isn't bad, but it's not particularly interesting. I felt a little let down by this one, but it was still very good.

I was most surprised by the Dogfish Head Old School. I went into it thinking it was going to be another weird DFH creation, but it was surprisingly good. Very straightforward. Very drinkable. I'll probably buy a bottle for my cellar.

Nothing else good really stood out for me. But there were a few bad experiences.

I didn't really like Killer Penguin. It was too syrupy and sweet. Like Maple Syrup gone wrong. My girlfriend really liked it though, which really confuses me since I think she normally has great taste in beer. Or maybe I'm wrong on this one.

However, this was nothing compared to the worst of the day: Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian. What an awful beer. And I mean awful. Like, I've never actually had a beer that I'd call undrinkable and been unable to finish until I had this yesterday. And it was just a taster. The smoke was too heavy and almost artificial. Ugh. It tasted like liquid bacon. And not in the way that would be appetizing. I took three sips over the span of an hour or so and ended up dumping the rest. Everyone we talked to agreed it was one of the worst things they've ever tasted.

But even after all that, the best thing I drank all day yesterday was after we left the barley wine behind, we went out for lunch and I had a glass of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Aged Kentucky Common. So good. So so good. I'd say it was near perfect. I need to find bottles of it.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 31, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

wattershed posted:

My sincere condolences about your dead taste buds. Kidding, mostly.

Some people are just digging the hell out of the oak smoked version. I think it's pretty decent, should be better in a year or so, but I'd never call it one of the worst things I've ever tasted. If it were a more "extreme" version of what they made it'd creep into unbalanced old ale territory, which I'm not down with. Do you like the regular OG?

I've never had regular OG, but I love smoke flavor. My favorite scotch is Lagavulin and I love rauchbier. But this was just over the top and almost artificial tasting.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Midorka posted:

I'm having my first authentic Berliner Weisse, Fritz 1809 Berliner Style Weisse. I was expecting something very tart here, but it's only a mild tart. I am a sucker for green apples and that's what I taste and smell here. This is very nice. The production in the description seems pretty interesting too:

I certainly would like to try more Berliner Weisses now, can anyone recommend any in this vain?

Where in NJ are you? If you're anywhere near Philadelphia you should be able to find Round Guys Berlinerweiss. I've been singing the praises of Round Guys for a while. They're small but every beer I've had of theirs has been quite tasty. Their berliner is really funky on the nose, but it's surprisingly lemony and smooth. Especially good if you can get it with raspberry syrup.

I just checked Philly Tap Finder and it's currently on tap at 4 bars around the city. So I'm guessing it's probably outside the city as well.

http://phillytapfinder.com/beer/round-guys-berlinerweisster/

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm drinking a glass of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Aged Kentucky Common. I just wanted to make sure I remembered it correctly since I was several glasses of barley wine deep last time. I was not wrong with my original assessment. This beer is thick and rich. It has an awesome mouth feel with a great toffee and tart cherry flavor. Nice dry finish. A little bit of citrus. This is one of the best sours I've ever had. I'm going to get a glass every day until they run out. I wish this was bottled. I would buy it by the case with zero hesitation

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I went to the final tapping of PtY in Philadelphia last night at The POPE. I've never waited in line for beer and I don't intend to, but since this was a late announcement and the bar is in my neighborhood I figured it would be worth my while to at least walk over and see if it was possible to get a glass. Turns out the bar was more filled than usual but not as bad as I expected. No line at least. I managed to get a glass for myself and my girlfriend. I think making a late announcement for a April Fools Day release probably caused a lot of people to not show up.

In any case it's a very good beer and I'm glad I got to try it. But I'm also glad I didn't wait in line for it. I think that if I had waited for two hours to get a glass I'd probably be let down. If I had had this a few years ago it probably would have blown me away, but now there are so many other comparable beers.

I mean, after I drank my glass I ordered a Nugget Nectar and probably enjoyed that just as much.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 2, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

It was the last scheduled PtY tapping of the year in Philly. If there are other events scheduled I haven't heard of them.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I thought Younger was the best drat beer I ever had when I first had it.

I was really hoping for one of those transcendent experiences but it just didn't happen. A few years ago when I had my first 90 Minute, that was a transcendent experience. I don't think my tastes have changed that much because I still really enjoy a good DIPA, but I just don't see all the hoopla around this one. And that's mostly because my mind has already been blown by this style multiple times so there's not much I could have been given that I haven't already experienced with the style. That said, it is a very solid beer and I'd drink it if it were available, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to hunt it down again. Hop Wallop, Kryptonite, Heady Topper, and the aforementioned 90 Minute are all readily available around here and they fill that niche quite nicely.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 2, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Speaking of baseball and beer... here's the list from last year at Citizen's Bank park. While it's not the craziest selection you've ever seen there are some standouts. Especially when you consider it's at a ballpark. The new list is being put up in a few days. Probably more of a selection since they just added an 18 tap beer garden behind left field.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahd1JYZMLVnHdDl5bVFsdjJoMzBCTWFydGRvcWJFdVE#gid=0

Philadelphia: best beer city on the east coast.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Retemnav posted:

Asheville, NC: Beer City USA :smug:

I thought it was "Beertown USA"

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Retemnav posted:

Nah, it's Charlie Papazain's annual poll

Yeah, I'm aware but I was under the impression that it was pretty much a joke.

In other news, Devil's Den is having their anniversary party this weekend and the tap list is kinda ridiculous. So many barrel aged beers and so many things I've never seen on tap. I really hope I can make it

http://phillytapfinder.com/bar/devils-den-event/

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 2, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I ran around to a bunch of stores last night looking for KBS because I know shipments in Philadelphia were just received. Sadly everyone is out. Even more sadly, due to the arcane PA liquor laws, beer is only allowed to be sold at the distributor by the case, so a few lucky people managed to snag a whole 24 pack.

So instead of getting upset about it I bought a case of Shackamaximum, which I just had for the first time the other day. It's a pretty easy drinking and has a lot of really nice flavors. A bit sweet, but not overly so. In terms of sweetness, on a scale of Velvet Merlin to Choklat it's solidly in the middle. The oak is a nice touch. It's pretty crazy how drinkable it is. I'd liken it more to an english stout but with the flavor profile of an imperial. And at $38 a case I'm super excited about this purchase.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 3, 2013

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Phanatic posted:

The Sucaba is completely loving excellent.

After I tasted it at Good Dog I went out and bought 2 bottles to hold onto. It's like liquid almond joy.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

zedprime posted:

Is this a bad time to mention I wasn't going to try and get Savor tickets this year but seeing some of those salons I am going to be mashing F5 on Ticketmaster with the rest of the schlubs?

Vintage Roadshow and Dusty Eyeball all the way.

lazerwolf posted:

HumanCropcircle, please do this!

This is why I don't really care about the hyped beer as much anymore. I was fortunate to try Hopslam this year because Local 44 bottle shop had a 6 pack on the counter for sale when I randomly walked in. Chasing a truck around town to buy 'rare beerz' is just hilarious to me. I'd rather put more effort into trying to brew it myself than drive hours away

Also, for us we either need to find it in a bottle shop and probably definitely overpay for it or manage to buy a whole case because lol PA liquor laws.

Bella Vista Beer actually had a case, maybe more. Someone beat me to it though. I was going to be kind and offer it up to goons who probably won't be able to get any. Whoever bought it is probably ebaying it for $20 a bottle right now.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

There are so many spergy reviews on BA. The only thing I want to see in a review is tasting notes. What's the flavor profile and the nose. I don't give two shits about the color or the lacing on the glass or what loving glass you poured it into or any other bullshit you want to include.

I'm reading reviews because if I see something like "smells faintly of farts" in 3 or 4 reviews I'm probably not going to buy it. I'm basically checking things out before I commit to a $10 bottle of crap.

Also, while we're on the subject I want to throttle everyone who trashes a perfectly good beer. I've read so many reviews that were like "it's ok, but not excellent so I drain poured the rest of the bottle." Ugh.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 4, 2013