Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Picked up two cases of Fuzzy Baby Ducks at the can release today. Keeping one for myself and the SO, I’ll give out the other six packs for gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cloks posted:

BiF night... 4?

Modern Times Bedrock Brown Ale

I love everything about this beer, especially the can design. Brown ales aren't my favorite style but if I see one on tap, I'll always order it and this is a great one with a nice creamy head and a subtle coffee flavor.

That looks and sounds delicious.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My local Total Wine has Two-Hearted and Oberon in those little gallon mini kegs and I was tempted just for the novelty. I usually only see Heineken or the occasion German beer in those.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

finally started to see this around my area so I bought some last night and I really like it. the untappd reviews for it are hilarious, people have wildly varying expectations of what they think brut ipa is

It took me until the 2nd bottle to get an appreciation for SN brut, but it grew on me quick. I tried New Belgium’s take the next time I picked up a sixer and there are 2 still sitting in the fridge. It’s not that it’s bad just kinda meh.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MunchE posted:

This is my feeling for every NB IPA I've ever had!

Good point now that you got me thinking about it. My favorite New Belgium brew is the Abbey ale. I had put a 1/6 keg of Fat Tire in my Kegerator when I first got it and was done with it halfway through.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Biomute posted:

FourHearted

Two2Hearted

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Detective Thompson posted:

Hey friends, what are the rules for bringing back beer from Canada into the US? I am thinking about taking a trip this summer. Not yet sure if I'll be driving or flying, though I would assume that wouldn't make a difference for bringing it in aside from how convenient it is to carry a bunch of beer through an airport versus in a car.

Never flown, but driving is NBD. How much are you planning on bringing back? There’s a fluid ounce limit per person before they slap a duty tax on it, I want to say 128 ounces per person but it could have changed since I was there in 2017. Just put it in your trunk and don’t be weird at the border. If they ask specifically don’t lie; just pay the couple bucks in taxes. As long as you aren’t trying to bring back a thousand dollars worth of beer/booze they don’t really give a poo poo.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What has two thumbs and had a really rough week and is pounding HopSlams tonight?

this guy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nth Doctor posted:

Did he also call himself Don Juan?

They offered him a Founders but he Don Juan it! :dadjoke:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Flunky posted:

Meanwhile, in the hinterlands of east Tennessee...

Still better than the cereal beer

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Podima posted:

Any personal recommendations for Rhode Island breweries? Looking for somewhere to stop off on the way back from visiting family this weekend.

Grey Sail if you’re going past/through Westerly. Flying Jenny pale ale and Captain’s Daughter DIPA are both good enough that I burned out on them last summer.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
So I’m boring but one of my favorite styles is just a plain ol’ non-India Pale Ale. It’s reasonably hard to gently caress up, it’s good anytime of the year, and always hits that “I need a beer but don’t want to think about it too much” nail when I need it to.

That being said, no one’s doing them anymore. What are some good recommendations for a decent pale that’s relatively widely available? I’m in Connecticut and have access to several very good package stores that’ll order anything they can legally get.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spanish Manlove posted:

Two Hearted

edit: wait, poo poo. I thought it was an american pale ale, not an american IPA. uhhhhhhhhh hold on

Love me some Two Hearted; it’s everywhere here now

Josh Wow posted:

I like Sly Fox Phoenix and Victory Headwaters a lot, those are probably near you. Wicked Weeds Napoleon Complex is probably the beer I've drank the most of every year the past 3 years. I don't think they distribute to CT but gently caress yeah for a standard rear end pale ale.

Thanks, I made a note of these

Furious Lobster posted:

I feel like it's reasonable to believe that there's a bar near you that would regularly carry Hill Farmstead Edward? It's one of my favorite beers from them hands down, almost always produced onsite there and I've seen it with some frequency when I visit NYC.

Noted also

funkybottoms posted:

Sierra Nevada

Regular rotation in my kegerator

Shabadu posted:

hill basically only goes to a couple bars in nyc, central/lakes vt and armsby abbey in worcester

yooo counterweight fuckin rules you should just buy everything from them

and there's nowhere in CT that's less than 90 minutes from treehouse, just get lights on and die happy

I love Armsby Abbey but haven’t been there in years. Good reason to take a trip!

We’re like 40 minutes from Treehouse. Went once on a summer Saturday last year. Waited 3.5 hours, didn’t get Julian, pet some dogs, 6/10 might do again. Do they can Lights On? My GF works nearby a couple times a month, could have her pick up some cans on a weekday.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Shabadu posted:

For reference, on a regular rear end saturday at like 130pm with something like a 100 can to go limit, like 12-24 on most of like 7 offerings, there was 0 line, I was in and out including a pint at the bar in under 45 minutes. It's so much better every time I go.

Awesome! We’ll give it another go in that case. I was under the impression that as they continue to get more popular that it was only going to get worse, but it sounds like they’re getting a better system going for keeping things moving.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
An ice cold Modelo after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day is :discourse:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anchor union story is awesome, although I’ve had a chip on my shoulder against them for a while for suing one of my local breweries (City Steam) over the use of the word “steam”. Mind you, my local brewery is on the other side of the country and has extremely limited distribution.

The lawsuit was ridiculously frivolous. It basically boiled down to “consumers are dumb and might confuse these two beers because they have the same word on them”

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

Also:

"The Naughty Nurse" is... questionable.

It’s their flagship ale that they’ve been brewing for like 20 years. I think the newer branding is a little less cheesecake-y although I haven’t been there in a while. They’ve been pushing their IPA and NEIPAs instead lately since the market for English style ambers isn’t exactly booming.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Whoever recommended Lights Out to me a while back, looks like it is back on the menu at Tree House. Guess I’m taking a drive today :)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I tell the gf I’m going to Tree House to pick something up.

“Oh let me get my mom to watch the kid, I’ll come with you”

*come back with $200 in cans and one of each of the bottled stouts*

:negative:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I’m done for a while. TreeHouse kinda gets you with the per can pricing so you don’t really think about the fact that you’re buying a $24 six pack from them and waiting hours in line for the privilege.

My gf just got a promotion though so I guess there are worse ways to celebrate than spending too much money on beer and then drinking the beer.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spanish Manlove posted:

I prefer canned tallboys of Two Hearted over sixpacks of bottles.

:aaaaa:
I have never seen this. 6 pack 12 ounce cans or bottles, and the occasional mini-keg.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m gonna say it. I’m sick of haze.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MunchE posted:

The majority of the time it's not done well and even when it is I'd prefer a clear IPA any time. Going to a bar and not being able to find a single clear beer was kind of a bummer though.

To be fair, I’ve been drinking straight Tree House for 3 weeks, so that may be affecting my feeling.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

ah so now you are the stupid rear end in a top hat who bought 32 of those

I wish. I went with my girlfriend and we each bought 24.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

That the most popular nerd beer style is quality control mess is totally not a sign of where the industry is and where it's likely heading.

Nerd brewery: Filtering is just a wall between you and our beer!

Me: *pours sludge into glass*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol at restraint in American craft breweries.

*sips 14% double barrel-aged coffee and chocolate-covered strawberry jelly donut stout*

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 18, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

funkybottoms posted:

my friend have you heard of Omnipollo

I stand corrected!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I had a plain-rear end Long Trail Summer ale straight out of its goddamn brown glass bottle last night and it was good so I had a second. Think I’m gonna stick with the old standbys for the season. No fancy glassware, no $18 4-packs, just drinkin some beers and having a good time.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Sir Lemming posted:

A-B/InBev acquires craft breweries in all 50 states, snaps its fingers, and makes 50% of IPAs disappear?

So.....good?

In all seriousness though, I’m all for variety and supporting local breweries but frankly the bubble is gonna burst at some point. As I mentioned before, I just spent the last month drinking through $200+ worth of different Tree House beers and if you took the labels off I still couldn’t tell them apart because 20 different hazy IPAs, regardless of whether they’re objectively good or not, are still just 20 different minor variations on the same theme. 95% of the beers in all of my local package stores are IPAs: I want to see more breweries try something different other than just putting yet another quirky adjunct into their base product. People bitch about Sam Adams now, but at least they put out an actual variety of styles.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MunchE posted:

Biggest problem with the category, imo. Something in the way the flavor profiles develop really mutes the individual characters of the hops - I can have a great hazy beer from one of the better producers like Treehouse, Trillium, Monkish, Other Half etc. and the can says Galaxy and Mosaic and it tastes virtually identical to the Simcoe Citra one. Based on hazebro instagrams posting 1000 pictures of the same photo with new cans thrown in it hasn't worn them out yet but I imagine it will get old eventually. Part of the popularity of IPA is how much variety you can get by changing varieties, amounts and combinations of hops and the NEIPA style really dulls that.

Exactly. I hope whatever the new hotness ends up being it involves a filter.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

There's a lot going on but a two things that stick out to me:
1. There's not enough shelf space left at the bigger liquor stores. (I assume the same is true for tap handles.)
2. This is very bad for new, small places and for the medium-sized places that have tried to grow into other regions. You're either jumping in too late in packaged goods right now or you're not considered new and/or local.

This. This is what has me grumpy every time I go into a package store. A whole wall full of coolers and they’re all full of 16 ounce 4-packs of hazy IPAs so I’m just going back to stand-bys because I can’t even remember if I’ve tried half of the beers on the shelf. Heck, I can go into a freakin Total Wine with 2000 beers, walk around for an hour and then go home with a six pack of Sam Boston Lager because I’m grilling steaks that night and I know the missus will drink it.

I realize I’m :corsair:ing and complaining about a non-issue, I just feel like beer right now has a ton of variety at first glance but upon closer inspection it’s only the illusion of choice, helping to create a lack of innovation in brewing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Toebone posted:

In other news, Demented Brewing in New Jersey finally shut down. From what I've heard the owner was having a lot of mental health and substance abuse issues (people in the tap room reported him blacking out, screaming at and firing all his employees, and not remembering it the next day) and didn't pay any taxes for 5+ years.

Well yeah, it was right there in the name.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is there any cheap-rear end summer beer better than the Framingham Lager?

Sierra Nevada Summer Lager is $10 for a sixer and is pretty tasty.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's been years since I was in Boston to get some but I want to say the Framingham Lager was something crazy cheap like $10.99 for 12 bottles.

I think the last time I bought it was $10.99 for six tall boys which is still pretty good. I haven’t bought any Jacks Abbey since I drank way too much of the Festbier last October.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Snow Cone Capone posted:

fuuuuuuuck

I moved away right before they opened their secondary brewery next door too :cry:

I live an hour away and I’ve never been to their brewery.

:smith:

Fake edit: I just google mapped and I guess it’s closer to an hour 20, still no excuse. I’ve driven all the way to Boston to visit Harpoon.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyone have an opinion on Alesmith Grand Cru? I picked a 2015 bottle up at the local Total Wine today. I wanted something decent to sip on with the missus tonight while we watch people die on GoT.

It was either the Cru or Delirium Tremens and I went with the much cheaper one I’d never had before.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m having a New Belgium Sour Saison right now. Not bad, not great, which I consider typical New Belgium; their beers just kind of exist. My gf had a sip and asked if it was an Ommegang and I’d consider that a compliment.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ive never had one but I imagine it's basically LaCroix lightly mixed with vodka

LaCroix tastes better. I had a couple Trulys at a cookout last year and they were very artificial tasting, and at like 6% a bad hangover waiting to happen because you don’t really taste the alcohol.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Snow Cone Capone posted:

anyone know what this stuff in my beer is? The beer tastes great, but I'm not used to seeing so much particulate matter in my beer. It's white in the beer but weirdly orange in the foam.

I mean the beer is pretty delicious so I'm not complaining, just curious (Captain Lawrence Orbital Tilt, canned on 2/28)

Just some of that New England Haze bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Control Volume posted:

loving lovely glass, obviously just taken from stadium stores, extremely poorly run and overpriced event. 4/5

The gently caress? Is that seriously a plastic cup?