Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Last weekend my mom and I took a trip to New Glarus. Out of the 4 bars we hit, only 1, the Sportsman, had a decent variety of New Glarus beers available. Plus, it doubled as a liquor store, so if you wanted to pick up beers cheaper than at the brewery, I believe they were $8 for a 6-pack.

The hilltop brewery itself is gorgeous, especially outside. The building is done in a Swiss villa motif - fitting with the rest of the town. It was Sunday, so there really wasn't too much happening on the self-guided brewery tour. To me, the best part was the small room with all the awards and commendations the brewery received. The gift shop doubles as a small bar / tasting room, which is the main highlight. It was snowy and cold (in Wisconsin? no way) so we couldn't use the outdoor seating, but it looked beautiful.

If you're ever in the Madison area, I'd say it's worth checking out. Madison - New Glarus is a half-hour drive, and the brewery sells one beer exclusively there. Plus, the gift shop has a lot of swag, including some overly-expensive handpainted steins. I'd say it's very feasible to spend a morning at the brewery and feel like you've seen it all. Make an effort to swing by the Grumpy Troll on your way - it's been voted best brewpub in the Madison area a couple times, and I can believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks for all the San Diego beerposts. One of my college buddies is getting married there, so I'm keeping an eye on places to get drunk. (We all went to UW-Madison, so we take it very seriously.)

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

I'm gonna be in Madison for two weeks starting this Sunday, where should I go?
Not a definitive guide...

East Side:
Ale Asylem (close to the airport) is one of the best breweries in the state. Their Bedlam seasonal is out, and it's really good. Hopalicious and Ambergeddon are also good.
Malt House A huge beer (and whiskey) selection. It's in an old Civil War-era building with no TV's, making it a very unique place to drink.
Other noteables: Alchamy Cafe, Dexters.

Capital / State Street:
Old Fashioned As mentioned, 52 taps, something like 200 beers total, really friendly staff that can help you navigate them, and great food. Downside: always.super.loving.packed. But, always worth it.
Great Dane One of the older brewpubs around (I believe?), they have a couple beers that are really solid - Crop Circle Wheat, Stone of Scone Scotch Ale, John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt come to mind. Good food as well, especially for the diversity. The brat and bacon pretzel burger is delicious and fattening.
Essen Haus German bar, with German beer. I've never heard anyone recommend the food, but they do boots, and that is fun.
Coopers Tavern A bigger focus on international beers, which makes it more expensive than other places. But, another place with a big beer selection.
Memorial Union If the weather actually gets back to 60, 70 degree days, this is a must. One of the most beautiful places to get absolutely loving hammered.
Other places to check out: Capital Taphaus, Vintage.
Never go to: Brats, Johnny O's, Brothers.

Further west:
Brasserie V My favorite burger in Madison, and the home to over 150ish beers, mostly Belgiums.
Vintage They have a bar near State Street, but this is the brewery. The food is a little more upscale, and I think they have more beers.

Oh, you're coming the first week of May? Good mother loving call.
If you need an accomplice, feel free to shoot me a PM.

edit: Just remembered, if you have a car, a good day trip is to go to New Glarus in the morning, take the brewery tour, than hit up the Grumpy Troll on your way back for dinner - I've heard their pizza is amazing.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 24, 2012

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Speaking of beer fests, Sunday is when Great Taste of the Midwest tickets go on sale, if you needed a reminder.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Just found out that a place relativity close to me has a good microbrew selection. Looking on their site it seems like this is what they have to offer. I'm looking for an apa/ipa any of these breweries make one that I should pick up?

So far from that list I think that I'll be picking up Bear Republics Racer 5.

Ale Asylem does Hopalicious which is second to Spotted Cow as beers that are a must-tap at Madison bars. They also do Bedlam!, which is a Belgium IPA, possibly my favorite brew. In fact, I need to go get another couple packs before they stop releasing it for the year.
New Glarus's IIPA might still be available.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Ubik posted:

Thought of something since I mentioned Great Taste of the Midwest earlier: Does anybody have any recommendations for bars and breweries in Madison? It's highly likely that my coworkers already have a good idea of what's around there, but it'd be nice to get some recommendations from you folks too. :)

Drink Ale Asylem's Bedlam all day erry day. Bars you should go to if you're posting in a beer thread: The Old Fashioned off the Capital Square, The Malt House on East Washington (about 3 miles east of the Capital), and Brasserie V on Monroe, close to Camp Randall Stadium. All 3 have gigantic loving beer lists. Essen Haus, just off the square, has a good selection of German beers, plus boot-drinking. Honestly, here's all the preparty spots. They're all super beer-friendly. If you have to be at Madison's for pouring, that's a pretty nice spot to be. (Except for when you guys were giving away beer last year and you could neither enter nor leave the bar.)

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My friend's getting married in San Diego near the Gaslamp District early October. I'm guessing that the Best drat Beer Shop is the closest and bestest to pick up beers. Which San Diego / California breweries and beers are the ones I should look for? Especially ones that we can't get in Wisconsin or Chicago.
Also, if any can recommend a bar that has a good tap list in the Gaslamp, that would be great.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

For fans of New Glarus's fruit beers: blame the weather. Due to the horrible weather this summer, there's not nearly enough Door County cherries to make a batch of Belgian Red, or apples to make another round of the Apple Ale. They're making due with a new beer, Serendipity, for the time being.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My friends got married in early August, and they were both in the Greek system at Wisconsin so there was a large amount of people from around the country flying back to Madison for it. The Spotted Cow supply was cashed 75 minutes in. It really does remind people of Wisconsin, and their first time binging on something that wasn't from a keg that they paid 5 bucks a cup for.

Also, it's useful to have a beer that nobody'll complain about having. My friend gets a case for tailgating as 'backup.'

Having said that, I honestly can't remember the last time I got a Spotted Cow at a bar or liquor store.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

swickles posted:

If you guys like ciders, I suggest checking out B. Nektar. They are a meadery, but they make a lot of varied styles. Zombie Killer is an excellent Cyser (mead blended with cider), and Evil Genius is literally a work of mad science. They make a mead that has the finish of a solid IPA. They also make some straight up ciders and meads that are delicious.

I had their Vanilla Cinnamon mead at Great Taste of the Midwest a few years ago, and I absolutely lost my mind. A fantastic beverage, and made sure to pick up a bottle as soon as they distributed to Madison.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

nuncle jimbo posted:

countdown to rogue or dogfish head putting that stupid tree in a beer

Harvey Hopdyke IPA.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

umop apisdn posted:

I got invited to tag along with my friend whose band is playing music at Hops and Props in Oshkosh, WI this weekend. A decent list of breweries, and I can't turn down a free brewfest.
Any breweries on This Tap List that I should try? I'm from Chicago, so most of the stuff that gets distributed here, I've tried. I'm excited for some of the smaller Wisconsin breweries, but there are a few I haven't heard of before.

Ale Asylum's Hopalicious, Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Horny Goat Exposed, New Glarus Serendipity, and Lake Louie Warped Speed are all ones I'd recommend. Stone Arch's Vanilla Stout, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is a must-try.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

That is ...excessive.

Man did you guys see the new Sofie?
"A new variant of our barrel-aged saison, Sofie. Sofie Pardisi uses grapefruit peel and juice in the barrel instead of the usual orange peel."

I need to try this as I like Sofie and grapefruits are my favorite fruit.

Then you will love this beer. I had it yesterday, and I think it's better than Sofie.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

New Glarus's 20th Anniversary Ale might be a tough one to get your hands on, even if you're in Wisconsin. Their Facebook page says it's a 'very limited release,' only selling 2 bottles per person, which my local store was mirroring.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

crazyfish posted:

Also, word is out that New Glarus's next thumbprint is "Wild Sour":

I'm also hearing that their next fruit beer is strawberry rhubarb.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

For those wanting to pick up New Glarus's Wild Sour Ale, you'll want to get this one too.
I am pumped to try that.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

broom posted:

Deal.

What! I don't work on Fridays.

I almost picked up one of those Central Waters. Let me know how it is. The last couple coffee beers I've had - 3 Sheeps My Name is Joe and the one at Alterra in Madison - have been awesome.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

global tetrahedron posted:

Republic has a pretty diverse taplist with a lot of American and local craft representation, and is pretty close to downtown. I'd hit up their happy hour (4-6pm, 3 8oz pours of *anything* you want for :10bux:, plus 3 dollar American pints), and then you can hit up Town Hall across the street after. They've got a "Royal" DIPA on right now that's killer, and I think they do the bar food thing better than Republic.

A few years ago, Minneapolis Town Hall was one of my favorite booths at Great Taste. I'm nthing all the recommendations for that place.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

For Christmas Eve dinner I made a 50/50 mixture of New Glarus's Serendipity and champagne. I can not wait to do that again.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Inaction Jackson posted:

I'm actually planning on taking a trip with my wife up to Wisconsin, so I'd be interested in hearing what they are.

2nd what broom recommended, although I'd probably put Old Fashioned first - all Wisconsin beers, knowlegeable staff, and you can sample 4 taps for $4 and they come on a wooden platter in the shape of Wisconsin. There's also a pair of small brewpubs on the near east side near the Malt House, Next Door and One Barrell. One Barrell I can vouch for as being fantastic, haven't been to Next Door yet. Or, if you come late March / April, put on another layer and hang out at the Memorial Union terrace. Probably the prettiest place you can get hammered.
In Milwaukee, if you go on a Friday I'd recommend the fish fry / tour combo. The tour is more fun than other's I've been on, and the fish fry is pretty damned Wisconsin itself.

Also if you pick up some extra Toppling I'll trade it for some New Glarus one-offs.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Minneapolis Town Hall and Fulton come to mind. Town Hall has a strong food game, and Fulton's close to Target Field if you're into bad baseball.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

krustster posted:

I'm considering going to the Great Taste of the Midwest fest this year. Is it a big poo poo show with people rushing around to get the "good" stuff or usually pretty well under control and organized? Brother in law is camping out with some dudes on Sunday to get tickets.

Aside from the initial waiting for the gates to open period, the only lines are really for super gigantic releases - Toppling Goliaths Morning Delight line was 100+ people deep and went through a skate park (loving stupid idea). There's too many booths and too many beers to possibly worry about getting every beer on your bucket list. You don't like the line for Surely 7? Grab a sample from the booth next door. I highly recommend it, if you can snag a ticket. Come early the Friday before, if possible. Last year New Glarus released a brewery-exclusive sour that day, and there's a slew of tap takeovers by visiting breweries all over Madison. I was getting lit up on barrell-aged Bells 9000 at 11 AM, then Founders KBS, then Goose Island whatever.

Also, price went up to $60 this year, if your in-law didn't know.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Yesterday the Vintage had 6 firkins with different additions. Titletowns Johnny Red Ale with smoked oak was mindbendingly tasty and different. Super smooth with a lovely aftertaste.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

New Glarus Berliner Weiss is in the wild again.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else in Wisconsin enjoying scream IPA? Sorry everyone out of state.
That is indeed a mighty tasty brew. I shared some with friends that were visiting for a wedding, and they all really liked it too.
Good wedding too - Spotted Cow, Hopalicious, and Bedlam! I was still hungover this morning.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

FYI, get New Glarus's Oud Bruin sooner than later. It's only the second time I've seen a release have a limit at Riley's, first being their 20th anniversary.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

How is Alesmith's My Bloody Valentine? The grocery store nearby has bombers at $2 each.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Zam posted:

Great when fresh, but I've never had 6 month old Bloody Valentine. Hops will be long gone, but it has quite a bit of malt. I'd buy one at $2 just to see how bad it aged, but I wouldn't expect much.

Cracked one open. I'd say it's a B- after being aged. It's now just a red ale with the lightest bitterness on the back end. Nothing really special, aside from the price tag which makes it a fantastic beer to bring to tailgates or other people's houses.

lodie posted:

One of my friends is going to Chicago and I'm looking for beers for him to bring back for me to drink. I like pretty much everything but wheat beers (especially IPAs and sours). We're from Texas. I don't know how to link to this to where it's filled out but here is seekabrew: http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/compare.html

Hopalicious and Bedlam! from Madison's Ale Asylum should be easy to find in Chicago. Hopalicious is the default IPA in most Madison bars. Bedlam! is a Belgian IPA, and one of my favorites.
Also seconding Pipeworks, what I've had & heard of them has been quite good.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

broom posted:

I assume you are leaving Maduro's at 3 to go to this...

Madison’s
Goose Island Party! 3:00pm

Many of Goose Island’s rarest, biggest, and funkiest beers are served at this pre-party, including multiple offerings from the coveted Bourbon County Stout series of extremely limited releases.

...Translation, free BCBS Variants! (shhhh)
gently caress. This. Event. I'd rather pay for beer anywhere else then try to slog through the massive crowd to get the 5 inches of counter space I need to get a free one here. Last year I was unemployed and I still cut out with 2 tokens left because I was sick of it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I'm positive the times I went you got some sort of bottle cap which you could trade for a free beer. If you have to pay, don't even make eye contact with that place.
You should plan around Toppling Goliath, they are putting out some fantastic beers now. My friends and I are planning on getting the Morning Glory at Dexter's Friday.

I'd bet that Surly will have Darkness at Great Taste as a 'timed' release - those tap lists should be released very soon, probably by Tuesday. Tipsy Cow will probably be packed, but it's a smaller bar so the amount of lard mass you have to cross to get to the bar is much smaller.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Welp my productivity is shot for the rest of the day.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Fuuuuck that

Yerp. Although, there's worse places to get some day drinking in than New Glarus. That is a mighty pretty countryside the photo isn't showing.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

UK goons, what with football season starting back up, what's the typical beer selection at a match (PL, Championship, lower divisions, non-league)? obviously Liverpool is going to serve Carling and whatnot, but is it like the US where most large venues are in the clutches of companies like InBev? local craft beer is making inroads, but that's largely the exception to my knowledge.

(and no scores, please- i watch most games on a delay!)

Important and relevant: which MLB ballparks have the best craft beer lists?

Like in everything else, the Yankees suck.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I'm headed to Houston this weekend. Any suggestions for beers or breweries I should try out?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

air- posted:

Mostly updated:
http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Houston

Specific part of town where you are staying/visiting and your modes of transportation (as well as how far you're willing to go) would help a lot.

Downtown, Crowne Plaza hotel, close to a Spec's and the red line. No car (because I plan on drinking!), but I got a metro card and can hail a cab just fine. Something with breakfast/brunch options, or TVs to watch college football.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

New Glarus made a pumpkin beer, 'Pumpkin Pie Lust.' It's pretty good, especially when it's priced the same as Spotted Cow or Moon Man, instead of their Thumbprint series. Just a light pumpkin flavor, no overwhelming cinnamon or something obnoxious. Really drinkable, which is important when you're on the bus home after watching your favorite team lose and you just don't want to feel feelings.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Vertigo posted:

1x New Glarus Serendipity (what's the story with this one, reviews seem solid but say it's not really a sour?)

Nope, Serendipity is one of their excellent fruit beers. Enigma is their sour out now. Unless you really wanted a sour, I think you got the better of the two.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

The Schwa posted:

are there many non-US posters in this thread? I'm moving to Ireland later in the year and have no idea what to look out for in terms of local breweries.
I spent a few weeks there recently. Galway Bay Brewery was the best I found. There were some bars that had a bunch of taps, but not a lot.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Lyon posted:

Cran-bic is amazing. New Glarus needs to ramp up production and get over this whole Wisconsin only thing. I think they are one of the most underrated breweries in the country. You never see people posting looking for NG and even their R&D stuff doesn't seem to trade well for some reason. I need to find someone in Wisconsin with a lot of spare time to ship me beer. Their fruited beers are all awesome and their "standard" beers are spot on as well, e.g. Spotted Cow and Scream.

Wisconsin has a loving professional sports team named after people who make beer. Maybe the issue isn't with New Glarus, it's with the other 49 states.

This is old but very relevant to why you should come to Wisconsin to drink. I am listening to this in my apartment literally 3 blocks from the Wisconsin State Capital and I'm getting wistful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlwumGkSec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

Going to be in the Twin Cities next weekend and I have a holiday/bottle share party at the end of the month.

Anything should I look for up there? I've heard OK things about the non-Surly breweries in brief conversations (Insight, Modist) but no firsthand experience.

Minneapolis Town Hall might be brewpub only but worth checking out.