Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Yo Geigs did you guys send any Snack Attack to Gainesville? BTW: Hi thread, I haven't posted in you in over a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I went to the LoKal and drank John Wakefield's Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner and Miami Madness. It was like the fourth time I've had each, and they're loving insanely good, and my two non-beergeek friends are still talking about them several days later.

Drank from a Narke Tulip. Frothing head.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
So which goons amongst you are going to Night of the Barrels/Extreme Beer Fest, and is there any sort of post-tasting planned for Friday or Saturday Night? I am extremely excited, as I missed last year's festival for Hunahpu but get to do both this year.

Oh, I drank a Cascade Blueberry a couple days ago and was actually kind of disappointed in the 2012 batch. It was pretty good I guess but not 20 dollars a bottle good and certainly worse than Apricot.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Duck Rabbit Milk Stout is awesome but tends to get infected at about a 75% rate so you should feel extremely fortunate that you tried one that didn't taste like yogurt. I don't have PMs but I'll probably just post in the thread on the eve of the Festival, I'm in a similar situation with friends I see very infrequently and unfortunately I'm in the day session and not the evening session.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
As I sit here in a Boston hotel looking out the window at streets that have a fair amount of snow but with temperatures not even reaching 25 degrees, I can think of only one thing.

gently caress the Alstrom Brothers. Seriously, this is so hosed. Literally yesterday they sent an e-mail saying that the festival wasn't going to be cancelled under any circumstances, so I opted not to cancel my flight, planned my entire weekend around this trip, and kept my hotel reservation. I arrived in Boston this morning and SURPRISE NO EBF FOR YOU BUT WE ARE RESCHEDULING as if I'm going to spend another 200 dollars on plane tickets and another 100 dollars on a hotel. gently caress.

Anyways, I went and bought a bunch of beer to make up for it, started with Wookey Jack, it's pretty OK but I hate this style and the beer reminds me why, nose is pretty with some cocoa and roast and that dank hoppy pine aroma but the taste is just this weird mashing of flavors that comes off as overwhelmingly bitter. Meh.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I had a truly vile beer a few weeks ago. Dark Horse Three Guys Off the Scale Sour. Holy gently caress, that beer was terrible. It tasted like rotten vegetables thrown into a bag of melted caramel candies soaked in bourbon with vinegar and nail polish remover.

My friend got it sent to him in a trade when DH hosed up the actual Bourbon Barrel version of the beer. Poor guy.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Bruery is such a disappointment because even their "affordable" beers aren't really affordable. Hottenroth is delicious but I am not paying 9 bucks for a bottle of Berliner on a regular basis.

I ended up doing nothing last night Geigs so I'm very upset I didn't go to the Buddha :(

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Just had a Stillwater Existant, it was wholly unremarkable. I wish Cellar Door was in 4-packs, that's one I'd buy.

I am going to be driving from Florida up to Bar Harbor, Maine by way of Raleigh area as well as NYC and others next week. Anything really noteworthy along the way up to Raleigh I should know about? I'm familiar with the NYC scene, will probably just hit up Torst as I'm only gonna have a day or so there. Hoping to hit up Ebnezers while I'm in Maine.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

air- posted:

Did anyone actually go to The Festival in Portland? It looked like it kicked rear end, but this article says otherwise.
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/06/24/business/portland-beer-fest-regulations-leave-sour-taste-in-organizers-mouth/

Happened to be in town for a wedding so I went friday night. Lack of volunteers being a problem and inability of pourers to drink dampened things but for quality of selection it was the best fest I have ever been to. And ive been to stone sour fest and extreme beer fest a few times a piece.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Drank some beers with a couple friends last night, a brief rundown:

Tired Hands Eye 4A Face Growler: I had this in PA and brought back a growler to show my friend how amazing their beer is. It still tasted great after a week of travel, grassy notes that are strangely pleasant and some nice citrus on top. Really great stuff.

Brewery Vivant Tart Side of the Moon: Overrated garbage, tasted like someone took a strong dark belgian or stout or something and hosed up and it got a light dusting of rotten vegetable sourness. The three of us got maybe 1/3 of the can down before drainpouring, not disgustingly awful but certainly not good enough to be worth finishing.

Dark Horse Citra IPA: From the 4-beer sampler, it was weirdly not all that citra heavy, kind of had a honeydew sweet character, plenty drinkable and not bad but not what I expected.

Ommegang Biere De Mars (from I think...2008?): Has aged fairly well, although it was a good bit oxidized because the store I found it at is lovely and keeps all their beer overexposed to light. Nice hints of sweet fruits almost like strawberries kind of "deep" in the palate, doesn't have the great bretty character it had a few years ago though. This used to be one of my favorite beers, the bottle I had last night wasn't anywhere near as good as when I first had it.

Mikkeller Mexas Ranger: Holy poo poo, this beer is actually really good. I don't even know how to describe some of the flavors, you smell the beer and it has distinctly sweet stout aromas of a kind of milky chocolate but then also this...weirdness...that is clearly from some of the random herbs and almond milks and stuff. Surprisingly drinkable for a beer with such a weird ingredient list.

Sixpoint 3Beans: Way past its prime, IMHO. Fresh this beer had excellent coffee notes, now it's just a kind of bland and dull chocolate stout. A shame.

Hair of the Dog/Deschutes Conflux 1: A sloppy, but pretty tasty beer. Tastes like a whole bunch of different poo poo was put together in a bunch of barrels. Notes of the leathery/tarry character from the HotD beers was appreciated, with a little sour from Dissident. Overall, something I wouldn't bother getting again but found good enough to be worth trying once.

Bells BB Cherry Stout (batch 7777): I've held onto this one for a while, not knowing if it would get better or worse with time. Finally cracked it last night, and it was pretty goddamn good. Rather tart cherry juice, a noticeable but not overwhelming bourbon character, really easy on the palate and totally drinkable.

It was a pretty good evening of beer.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, throw out whatever you've got (assuming you mean the river that runs through Portland, not the Columbia; Vancouver is probably further than I'll go), I don't actually know where I'm staying yet.

Also I should probably add that I'm Canadian, so I have zero familiarity with American craft beers.

Go to Cascade Barrel House, they do amazing sour beers and have tons of cool poo poo on draft all the time. Also, Hair of the Dog is one of the unique breweries of America, their core beers Fred and Adam are pretty much unlike anything else anyone is making, with really rich dark flavors and leathery character that is surprisingly delicious. Neither will probably have much in the way of Hefeweizen but they are two breweries that I think you'd be a fool to miss out on.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I only know Untappd as that thing that people incorrectly enter CCB beers into.

Dude on Sunday there were some megabros from Funky Buddha raving about how Cali Hunahpu was God's gift to man. I imagine that they are the majority of untappd users, triumphantly quasi-instagramming their newest wale ticks. That beer is significantly worse than apple brandy Hunahpu, btw.

The brewpub is fantastic and that horchata neer is wayyyy better than the first cervesa fresca was.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

SketchyNick posted:

Haha I love CCB but thats not saying much.

Yeah Cervesa Fresca 1 was terribly boring. Horchata is interesting if not something I'd drink even an entire snifter of.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I loving loved Cali Brandy Hunahpu's. I think because it had more spice than regular Hunahpu's ever had, and every single time I've ever had Hunahpu's I've told Wayne it needs more spice.

It definitely had the most detectable spice of any Hunah variant, but the brandy was just kind of this bland sweet boozy flavor clogging up the entire front of the beer. Almost none of the great chocolate maltiness of the base beer.

That Oktoberfest is fantastic though, and Strawberry Cracker was pretty good. Was not a fan of Imperial Cognac Sweet or Gates of Hell, way too sweet on the former and way too bourbony on the latter.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The entire thing is silly as gently caress but its alternative is equally silly if not moreso. I hate the idea of these clubs/societies because they just further the "beer as commodity" mentality but as someone who has driven two hours to CCB only to literally be the first person in line to not get bottles of Double Barrel Zhukov it's even worse when you feel like a four hour trip plus a one hour or longer stand in line was completely pointless. People bringing their entire family along to get five bottles of everything is dumb as gently caress and I really wish there were some way around it but right now I don't know that there is.

The entire whale hunt thing these days is loving idiotic and it was idiotic four years ago when I first became interested in this stuff and had to drive to Orlando to find Zhukov. Everyone is looking for their CCB, be it Hill Farmstead or Ale Apothecary or Toppling Goliath or Crooked Stave or whoever, some fancy dudes that put stouts/sours in barrels and make tiny batches to create further hype. I'm sure all of these places make good or even great beer, but god is it loving tiring hearing about the fortieth brewery to have a new saison/citra ipa/maple stout that just so happens to be a limited release with 4.6 average score on RB.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Any Orlando beergoons wanna hang out in the next few days and hit up Cask and Larder or RLRL?

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

wattershed posted:

Oh also ISO: Forgotten Island. That poo poo sounds deelish. Surely one of you Floridians wants something we cook up down here in SoCal?

It is quite likely I will be trading my bottle of this, as I am not a fan of Quads or most 12+% abv beers. We'll see in a few months.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
The Ezsett is gonna be absolutely ridiculous if I had to guess. We're talking 1k plus for a single bottle.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm guessing that Founders Spite is gimmicky based on the name, right? Or do I just have zero tolerance for chili beer?

No, Spite was absolutely loving horrible. And I like some spice to my spiced beers.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

confonnit posted:

Well it's official, I'm moving back to the beer wasteland that is Atlanta from Chicago. I've been spoiled loving rotten for the last three years and am already getting sad thinking about all the good poo poo I'm going to miss out on. Maybe I'll still being able to score some of the year round stuff from West Lakeview since their online shop is up now.

Atlanta, while obviously not as good as Chicago, is hardly a beer wasteland. There are some excellent bars and solid stores in the area, and while I'm not their biggest fan there are also two pretty big-time breweries in the area between Sweetwater and Terrapin.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

swickles posted:

Jonathan Wakefield is having a tap takeover in Miami tonight. Everything is donation based, $5 bucks a pour for all the beers. All of the money is going towards starting up his brewery and becoming official. If you haven't heard of him, he makes some really good berlinners like Miami Madness and Passion Fruit Dragon Fruit Berlinnerweiss. He also has collaborated with Cigar City and has done some treatments of their beers like Hopped Up Johnny (a barrel treatment of Marshall Zhukov with Johnny Walker Blue). It should be a good time tonight and if anyone is in Miami, you should go check it out at LoKal in the Grove.

The atmosphere at the last one was pretty much a clusterfuck and really crowded, but LoKal makes some loving AMAZING burgers so I'd definitely recommend going even if you've had some of JW's beers.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I too enjoyed Frangelic for what it was, basically hazelnut coffee creamer in beer form.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

crazyfish posted:

Next year, I hope someone brews a pumpkin oktoberfest and releases it in July. Just to be that much of a dick.

I already saw Pumpkinfest on shelves yesterday, so it might have been there since July.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Calvados and Port Lees have almost always been terrible for me. But my god, the older vintages are amazing. I've had 2000-2006 or so and they're all really great. And a tasting that I went to with girlkisser had someone open a 1988 that was just beautiful, brown sugar and like a cinnamon oatmeal quality.

But Calvados tasted and smelled like cat food.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I had like 6 bottles of BCBCS 2010 because I was actively trading then and holy poo poo that was the best BCS I've ever had by a decent margin. I thought Rare was really good but at the time I didn't love regular BCS all that much so Rare was basically just a better version of BCS, I gave it a 4.3 which is great but not nearly the same level as something like Black Note.

Black Note was my single most wanted stout for so drat long and then I finally got to try it and it was legitimately the best straight -bal stout I've ever had. It's really awesome when a beer is actually better than the hype.

e: wow, and my 2nd highest rated -bal stouts are a tie between KBS, Parabola, and...Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition, which feels so out of place given that I think Jackie O's is one of the most stupidly overrated breweries in the country (but that beer was loving fantastic).

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 22, 2013

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I have been out of the trading game awhile I guess, I remember Jackie O's being pretty heavily sought after. Their sours are incredibly boring IMO, I've probably had 5-10 of them and they all basically tasted the same, similar to how I think most Bruery sours are boring. Not BAD, just boring.

Mikkeller sours basically all suck in my experiences, but maybe those two are good? I've never had them. The Spontans are terrible though.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Finally tried/trying the Wheaton beer (I'm not going to dignify its full name) and it's OK I guess but not something I'll be buying more of. Really heavy alcohol note in the nose that is off putting, an interesting flavor blend and I can definitely draw the pecan flavor but it's a pretty sweet beer and the rye spiciness is a bit overwhelming. Curious beer, certainly something I'd expect from Stone, but not as good as the normal IRS.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Drank a lot of stuff over the past few days, here are some notables:

Almanac 1 & 2: 1 was really good, very noticeable plum character, lightly tart, kind of a little sweet, not too complex. 2 was good but not as good, had a weird sort of earthy savory character, presumably the pumpkin.

Prairie Bomb!: Nice coffee aroma but has that aged coffee beer green pepper earthy quality that I am not a fan of. Not very drinkable but pretty tasty for a few sips.

Cisco Pedaler Blueberry: Really awesome, a nice blueberry aroma and a sort of berliner-like mild tartness on a more classic American wheat beer body. Definitely a pleasant surprise since I've disliked most other Cisco large format beers.

Sour in the Rye w/ Kumquats: Completely flat. Terrible. Disgraceful, but apparently bottle variation on this one isn't very high and we just got extremely unlucky.

TH Guillemot Nebula: Not nearly as good as base Guillemot, the whiskey character muddles the nose and then the back end is way more acetic than the original beer was. Still goodish but I loving LOVED Guillemot so this was disappointing.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

WaffleStomp posted:

Goons, I'm heading to Atlanta later this week for DragonCon and will be staying downtown on Peachtree street. What can't miss beer stops, besides the Porter bar, should I be on the look out for?

Brickstore pub and I think the best shop in town is still Hop City but I may be wrong.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
BA Boris is a fantastic beer, I can easily see it rating highly in a blind competition where cost isn't a factor.

Imagine a world where beer traders ran GABF, every single award winner would be a 1-off Hill Farmstead Barrel-Aged *insert style* or would have Kopi Luwak/Persimmon/Apricots from Tomme Arthur's backyard.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/surly-surlyfest/64349/

If you live in Minnesota and this isn't the beer that comes to mind immediately you are high out of your mind.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
John Wakefield's berliners are really tasty but sour as gently caress and hard to drink a lot of. His other beers, with the exception of his coconut porter, have been mediocre in my experiences (and I've been drinking his beers since like one of his earliest batches). That being said the crowdsource thing is a pretty cool idea, though I'm not sure a guy like him really needs to "fundraise" as much money as he says he does.

But hey, he's got legions of high-powered friends in the BA and RB communities so he's guaranteed to be a hit regardless of what he does from here on out.

e: And to be fair he basically single-handedly pushed the fruited berliner style. I just dislike his BA beers and IPAs.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I will be going to Zwanze day in Orlando. I am tall, skinnyish, and will probably be hanging around Mr. Girlkisser.

I will probably wear basketball shorts.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Smuttynose Baltic is literally the best I've ever had, it's incredible. I don't like Big A, it has that extreme grapefruit pith bitterness that overpowers any amount of great flavor.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Zwanze at Redlight was very fun overall, though I'm guessing our taplist was much worse than anywhere else since we had a lot of Florida beers that were pretty blah (although some were quite good). The thing that put it over the top is that Florida probably has some of the best bottleshares in the country considering the relatively small number of great/tradeworthy brewers we have.

On tap noteworthy stuff (KBS excluded):

Cask and Larder Cherry Berliner was horrible, tasted like robotussin+rice krispies.

Seventh Sun Gose was bizarre, smelled a lot like cucumber but had the nice salty/sour combo I like in the style, the nose was actually kind of pleasant after I adjusted to what I was smelling, certainly better than FB's Cucumber beer.

Koutsky 12 is a really nice Czech Pils, though it's a bit on the sweet/heavy/cloudy side for my expectation of the style. Easy to drink.

FB Passionfruit Berliner: Whatever, sort of falls between JW's version and a good straight berliner, a bit on the fruit juicy sweet side but without the nice rich fruit flavor, on the other hand it also lacked the interesting grainy, light tartness of something like Hottenroth.

Seventh Sun Radler: Rice krispies and HFCS lemonade. Bleh.

Cantillon Iris GC and Zwanze: Iris GC was completely still. I hate Broucsella, this was basically the same thing, an interesting beer with a wood-heavy flavor presence, but I hate tart+flat. Zwanze was weird, sweeter than I expected, not the hoppy light tartness I hoped for, a bit heavy on the palate, overall not my thing.

Bottles were an entirely different monster:

Cable Car 12, fresh DDG: Both awesome, the best I've had of either beer IMO, the DDG especially was way better than batch 1 DDG in my opinion. Cable Car remains a unique American wild, sort of like a gueuze but with a nice vanilla note and fullness of body that actually works really well.

07 (batch 1) Blabaer: Hasn't really held up, as I suspected the blueberry flavor has mostly faded even though the aroma is still somewhat presence. A perfect beer fresh, merely a great beer with this much age.

Abraxas: Haven't tried BA Abraxas, but this beer is remarkable and IMO the best Hunahpu-like, precisely because it's not all that much like Hunahpu. Very cinnamon-forward with less of the rich sweetness I expect from these beers. Great stuff.

Lots of other stuff, Armand 4 Seasons got opened but I only noticed when they were finishing off Winter, Bo & Luke, lots of Reserve Society stuff, Bourbon BA Genealogy of Morals, Cerasus, BCBCS Growler, other cool things. Great atmosphere, everyone being extremely generous, tasty beers all-around. Shame that Zwanze wasn't particularly great, but I honestly haven't loved any of the Zwanzes so I'm not all that surprised.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

SketchyNick posted:

Must have seen you daunte cause I had some of that blaebar and most of the bruery rs releases (beauegarde, sans pagaie), vlad the imp aler, duck duck gooze and cable car. I thought cask and larder white oak saison was wonderful.

I was the tall skinnyish dude wearing the Hebrew shirt with long hair. I probably was talking loudly within feet of you.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Nelson Sauvignon or whatever it's called these days is awesome enough that it's worth the 25 dollar price tag as an occasional treat.

Breakfast is good, Beer Hop Breakfast is pretty good, Frelser is good. The IPAs I could mostly take or leave, though fresh they tend to be pretty solid, it's hard to guarantee freshness.

e: The original 4 barrel aged Black Holes were literally the worst money I've ever spent on beer. The Peat Whiskey one tasted like burning tire rubber, ammonia, and molasses. Fantastic 13 dollar 375.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 19, 2013

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Beertrading looks like it will be lovely except for the part where you trade beer with people. I am in the ISO:FT group on Facebook and it's a bunch of unfunny 30-somethings talking about their wales and posting fake trades or mocking people for wanting to trade shelf beers for not-shelf-beers.

The beer trading community has really gone to poo poo in like three years, and it wasn't amazing to begin with.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Lies and I'll swear it till I die!

Heady Topper is the pinnacle of the Johnny-come-lately hype train in my opinion. There are like 10 IPAs in California alone that I would take over it. It's not bad by any stretch, but to see it put it in the same sentence as Kern Double Citra, which I had at the brewery the day it was tapped in 2010, makes me want to wretch.

The people that think Allagash non-sours are mediocre are equally foolish, Allagash White is like the pinnacle of the style in America and Bourbon Black is quite good. Also, Curieux is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Sorry, it was pretty much all hyperbole and I didn't mean to actually offend anyone. Heady Topper is a perfectly fine beer that I happen to like less than others. My post was meant as satire attached to my actual opinion, sorry if it came across otherwise. I would never wretch over someone's opinion on beer, except maybe the people that liked Sour 3 Guy Off the Scale.

In other news, Stillwater Classique is like a perfect 6-pack beer.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 4, 2013