Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Anyone else here had Founders' Double Trouble IPA? Got a 4 pack and I'm on my third, at 9.4% the alcohol is masked really well by lots of hops and orange/pineapple citrus going on. Golden amber color, not much lacing, pretty well balanced, solid DIPA.

Honestly, Double Trouble is one of Founders weaker beers. Not that it's outright bad, but there are definitely better options for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Prima is my favorite, but I like Troegs Sunshine Pils a lot too. The one time I had Mama Yella I wasn't a fan, but that was a few years back.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Midorka posted:

Been seeing Deviant Dale's pictures everywhere, but not in New Jersey. I would love to try it, how much is it?

I got one 16oz can in Manhattan for around $3 at Whole Foods.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Midorka posted:

Big Eye IPA is fantastic, Calico Amber was decent but for the price I wouldn't buy it again. Victory at Sea is probably the best imperial porter in the world (opinion) and Sea Monster is the thickest beer I've ever drank.

As for White Birch, their labels are wonderful, but nothing seems to be worth buying.

Calico is a pretty fantastic amber ale, if you ask me. Agree on White Birch though, I've had a bunch of them recently and they were all pretty underwhelming.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

I just moved into a new apartment with two friends, and one of them brought along a kegerator that he inherited from his brother, but has never used.

Last night I cleaned everything out, refilled the CO2, and picked up a sixtel of Troegs Hopback. Oh baby.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

ShaneB posted:

That's a loving price gouge.

yeah. I got XV for ~20 and sucuba for ~15 in NJ

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Vertigo posted:

This is tonite's tap list

drink yuengling the whole time and call everyone hippies

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sixpoint is solid. I like Diesel and Sweet Action a lot.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of random spirits+beer related stuff, I was talking to the instructor at a homebrewing workshop, who is also the head brewer at Ballast Point and he said they're doing "reverse barrel aging" now by taking a barrel that they aged an imperial stout in and then aging bourbon in it. That's going to be strange.

it's gonna be aged first in new charred oak, or it's only getting the aging treatment from a twice used barrel?

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Phanatic posted:

If it's not aged in new charred oak they can't legally call it bourbon. Some other sort of whiskey, but not bourbon.

Yeah, but we don't have Ballast Point calling it bourbon, we have Angry Grimace's story about talking to the head brewer. Which is why I asked.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

I've had Nugget Nectar 9 months out and it was still delicious. Of course it's made to be consumed immediately, but you don't need to freak out if a hop forward beer has a few months on it.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

What are your folks' attitudes on adjunct brewing?

Was having a discussion about Churchkey pilsner and there was a remark made to the effect of "if I wanted adjunct beer, I'd drink a Pabst." Interesting because Churchkey is an all-malt craft beer. I implied there may be some expectation issues with their judgement of the style, and was informed by the same guy that Fort George 1811 is a preferred craft lager. Interesting because it IS an adjunct lager.

Seems like a silly thing to make a line in the sand for, to me. I've used rice as adjunct in a couple homebrews, and I definitely enjoy corn and non-corn beer, as long as it tastes like beer.

"Pliny the Elder uses corn syrup. Bam you are dumb."

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Alternatively,

"Who cares who makes it and what's in it as long as it tastes good?"

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Yuns posted:

Once I finally decide to actually drink them I'll put out a note to beer goons in the NYC area who might be interested in trying them with me.

But what if we want to travel far distances to try gross old beer???

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

I had some of that St Bernardus Wit this weekend. That beer is so freakin good.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Midorka posted:

My point is that it would be ideal to get Weihenstaphen's Krystallweizen to compare, since it's the same style. I don't know the differences between the styles since I'm not familiar with a krystallweizen outside of Apollo, but it just seems fair.

Sometimes people do tastings to see differences between the same style, and sometimes people do tastings to see differences between different styles. Neither way is more ideal.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

blue moon is brewed by coors

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

I don't know why, but over the last few years I've been enjoying those super hoppy DIPAs less and less. At this point the price and effort are just not worth it.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Is Dreadnaught worth the price when I'm able to get Hop Stoopid for half the price? I love FFF Gumball Head (wish I could find it again) Is Dreadnaught close to that or more like Hop Stoopid?

Worth buying if you've never had it before, but once was enough for me.

edit: Granted, I'm not a hoppier=better guy.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Harminoff posted:

No, but I am able to get pretty much all of them around here and they all sound good .I'm a big coffee fan so javha and mokah are on my list to try. Are they all really sweet? I'd figure a pumpkin beer would be more spicy then sweet.

save your money, there are better/cheaper coffee stouts that don't give you diabetes

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Casual Yogurt posted:

I'm going to be all round upstate NY this week/end...what's good that I can't get here in southern California? Founders doesn't do bottles but they do kegs, does Bells distribute in NY? I've gotten Cigar city stuff in NYC before but I don't know thats regular. Southern Tier for sure...anything else?

No Bells. Victory, Troegs, Weyerbacher, Southampton, Captain Lawrence, Sixpoint, Ommegang

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Midorka posted:

If I'm not mistaken the Deviant Dales is pretty old by now.

Please stop posting.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

RiggenBlaque posted:

I wish people would stop bypassing my ignore list by quoting Midorka

Because great posting isn't the important thing here; It's who the poster is. Got it.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I'm partial to Porkslap, personally. I haven't had the beer in a million years, don't even remember if it was any good. But the can owns.

My friends and I camp every summer at his uncle's farm up near Cooperstown, and apparently the uncle knows the owner, because one year he showed up with a cooler full of porkslap and the fish IPA. Not the greatest beers ever, but the guy was cool.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

crazyfish posted:

The easiest-to-obtain straight lambic that I know of is Lambickx, and it's quite nice and a good representation of the style.

Yeah, it's just expensive as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Glottis posted:

Just to state the obvious, 2013 Sucaba is amazing as usual. Don't feel the need to sit on this one unless you are doing it purely for fun, it's already got great character and smoothness.

I just opened my 2012 Sucaba a week ago and it was fantastic.