Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Enelrahc posted:

Today in urinalysis lab, one chick brought in her own pee (and offered it to us when the hospital pee samples ran out - thanks, but no thanks). Our clin path residents are cute with adorable accents, so some of the females have a difficult time restraining themselves (I always feel bad for the residents - I figure they go home and drink and tell their buddies about these desperate students). Anyways, this chick was trying to flirt with the poor guy and then made him look at her pee. All he said was "If you were a cat this would be abnormal." Resident 1, creepy vet student 0.

The resident on our side of the lab said that they discouraged people from bringing in their own pee, because it got a bit awkward when there was sperm in some girl's sample and she didn't know what it was and asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

YourCreation posted:

terrifying exams...

Those exams sound awful.

Also I thought pizzle rot in sheep was due to urine scald with high protein diet & corynebacterium infection?

Perhaps it might predispose them to fly strike or be associated with it somehow though..

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Asstro Van posted:

For anyone wondering what vet school is like, I think this is a fairly accurate account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictqCRakTIY

Pretty accurate, except replace the pictures at the end of family with those of pets. Or sometimes their kids with the pets. Also with or without the inclusion of "joke about how the class is >75% women."

edit: I'm the girl in the beginning who never goes to class though.

It's mostly because I honestly can't stand the questions people ask and it makes me lose focus if I can even focus on the lecture in the first place.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 4, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

YourCreation posted:

It appears you are right. It was something a lecturer mentioned in passing in a parasitology lecture but I wrote it down because it sounded ridiculous.

production species have the best and most descriptive disease names

blue bag
bumblefoot
wooden tongue
red water
blackleg

etc

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Are the other years similar or is yours special?

Ours is something like 80% female.

I think she's in a tech program.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

"Starter topics" for conversation:

1. How many tries did it take you to get in?

2. What weight did your school place on different components of the application?

3. Did you interview? What were the questions like?

4. What do you like LEAST about vet school?

5. What do you wish you would have known before starting?

6. If you could start over with undergrad, what would you do differently?

I got in after 2 times. I got an interview both times but the first time I thought I sucked so obv the interviewers did too. The second time I was baller and I got in. I only got an interview because I have a real high GRE score and UCDavis weights the GRE and GPA equally. My undergrad GPA sucked nuts. I continue to give not a single poo poo about grades. At my interview we talked about hockey and my Masters research, and then I told them that the school would be lucky to have me as an alumni and then I walked out and nearly poo poo myself thinking "holy gently caress I didn't actually say that did I?" but it must have worked.

I hate 90% of the classes. Real bad. I knew I would though. Most of my classmates kind of annoy me but in a pinch I could work with the majority of them. I'm older than the average student, but there are others in my class that are as well (enelrahc is about the same age as me ok actually a little older). I would never want to start over with undergrad in a million years. gently caress that poo poo.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Baika posted:

For all those who have gotten in and if you can remember, what were some of the curve ball questions thrown at you?

I honestly didn't get anything that was unexpected, except I guess in my first interview they asked me about a recent lunar event or something really off the wall at the end. (there was an eclipse a week beforehand or something)

Otherwise it was pretty standard questions about how I worked with others and what I did for fun and some questions about my research and why a DVM since I'm interested in research, etc.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
It is my general opinion that by and large VIN is full of those people in our classes that we hate, 10/15/25 years later.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Travic posted:

Is it against the rules to say what school we're at?

I hope not because I already mentioned my school. :v:

and so did YourCreation

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Explosion Sauce posted:

Really thought it was cool OVC has an intramural hockey team; I just started playing hockey last winter with my friends, and although I'm absolutely terrible at it would be cool to play hockey with my classmates in vet school.

Haha, I'm the opposite - I've played hockey since I was a little kid and I love playing even more right now because it is my escape from vet school and my classmates.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We have the same, as well as a lot of other IM teams and a vet school bowling league. I was IM flag football captain first year! But I kind of found that I prefer my sports to be sort of away from playing with my classmates, a separate thing that I can do where nobody wants to think or talk about school. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

But... but... the delicious gossip. I've found out lovely things while getting buddy-buddy with people over a frisbee.

Actually I played Ultimate first year too, but one quarter they had to join the league that was on a day where I had hockey every week so I couldn't play anymore.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Just treated to a girl who sits in front of us usually coming in late and there was somebody in the seat she normally sits in, and she literally kneeled down next to the person to tell them they were in her seat and watched for a moment to see if the person would get up.

This really happened. enelrahc is my witness.

vetschool.txt

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
She didn't mention the best part - that this girl posted earlier today on her facebook about her A's in pharmacology and radiology!!!!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

YourCreation posted:

Lioness is a badass. She gave me a lot of advice while I was applying to school the first time around. She must be in the UC Davis program by now?

haha, that's me. congrats on getting in too, was very pleased to see it. :ssh:

HSS:
1) omg that poor dog
2) one of your classmates didn't know cats had anal sacs
3) it was large animal radiology which wasn't open notes. but i don't really get A's in open notes small animal radiology either, mostly because of the musculoskeletal portion every time - I'm pretty good with thoracic and abdominal.

edit: also that girl in the above facebook convo tried to backpedal by saying she meant that it was benign cancer. yep, benign cancer. :downs:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 22, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

wtftastic posted:

Maybe she's confused by the use of benign to describe certain tumors? And just extrapolated that to mean cancer?

(IANAV but that seems plausible.)

Yes, I am sure that she meant benign neoplasia (which this particular condition still isn't, but at least it exists). But she used the word "cancer," which is fine if you are not a veterinary student who has been in pathology courses all year long where the first thing I'm pretty sure we learned was hyperplasia vs neoplasia, and then benign vs malignant w/r/t neoplasia. It would be fine and understandable if a layperson said it, but not so much for a vet student in a pathology course who has also been in 2 oncology courses in the past 7 months.

edit: and who I'm pretty sure just posted that so she could try to sound smart to her facebook friends...

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 23, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

(Friend of mine saw this one) Brachycephalic breed came in with a traumatic eye injury for enucleation. It was reproductively intact. Client was informed that if they got surgery through CS then the dog would have to be altered.

Their response? "Wolves aren't neutered." The dog didn't get the surgery.

The best response to this is clearly "Well, wolves don't get enucleation surgery when they have a traumatic eye injury either."

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsoape posted:

I guess I'm really curious on whether PI vets/prospective vets would consider this overkill? What are the bare minimum tests you'd recommend doing with a dog of this breed mix? What about thyroid panels and testing for Brucellosis? I'm going to discuss all this with my own vet once Mouse turns 1 year, I'm just really interested to learn other opinions :).

To be honest, I would probably narrow down what tests I would want to do by what you're considering breeding to rather than vice versa - at least the DNA ones which can wait (because the DNA doesn't change). Additionally, eye testing and hip tests and other phenotypic ones you might do first, if you wanted to prioritize.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Enelrahc posted:

Today someone in class asked if fungi were plants, so the professor had to explain over 5 minutes that they were in a different kingdom.

No you see she made it a point to turn around and tell me that she was asking if they were on the plant TAKE HOME EXAM because she KNOWS they aren't plants okay...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

I know a lot of your path department, and I like them. I just loathe California in general and Davis in particular. :) Your path floor is new and amazing. No one in the drat state can drive worth a drat.

You are literally posting this from Florida. Look I have driven on I-4 plenty of times. It's no better.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Enelrahc posted:

Behavior is fun. If you go to a place with a high caseload it would be a good time.

I'm not sure there are places with necessarily high behavior caseloads...the appointments are so long!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Crooked Booty posted:

Oh god my classmates are retarded about behavior. I got a puppy recently and in the last 48 hours I've been told:
1) It's cruel to make my puppy do tricks for kibble.
2) If I feed him treats around my cats (rewarding him for being calm, not chasing) he will learn that cats are food.

We've a classmate who has 2 dogs and has literally admitted to having no idea how to train a dog to do anything.

edit: and she got mad when her roommate had a friend over and the friend taught her dog to sit or something.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

To all the other vet students: anyone have any cool externships lined up? I went to Edinburgh in Scotland while I was in vet school, which was amazing. Also, Plum Island is an incredible place, so check if your school is part of the Smith-Kilborne program. The FADL course was the best CE I've ever done, and I wish I could go back every year. My wife really enjoyed doing an externship to UF's wildlife program and Minnesota's raptor program.

Actually I'm using a 2 week Neurology/Neurosurgery summer externship at a large specialty practice as an excuse to go back to Pittsburgh and visit family. Not sure that counts. :cool:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

That brings up an interesting topic - how do you think vets SHOULD be educated? Should we focus more on problem solving, and less on memorizing facts? Would you rather have a more vague question that makes you think, or something that is concrete?

While many people say they want the former, my experiences with teaching have told me that students would rather barf out facts. :)

I'd say 90%+ of my class would rather barf out facts, because it is easier for them to get an A when it's just like it was in undergrad for them and they just have to memorize things.

But honestly it seems like sometimes we are actively penalized for thinking. I'm still butthurt about a clin path case I missed a bunch of points on though. :rolleyes:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

YourCreation posted:

1) An incredibly small teacher:student ratio during dissections. I think all professors should stop what they are doing so that they can assist during dissections. We only get to do each body part once and it would be amazing if we had someone there asking questions and guiding us towards applications.

Unfortunately this isn't really possible in most cases. Faculty have a lot of commitments (clinical, research, service and teaching) and first years have a lot of anatomy. Also I guarantee you that most faculty don't remember the vast majority of the anatomy they make you learn first year and would need to do a lot of prep in order to be able to effectively teach it like that. I think the best they could really do is hire a bunch of anatomist techs for it, and that's cost prohibitive for most schools.

The solution people have come up with at our school is to take video (both school produced and student produced) of a faculty member or tech doing the dissection and explaining a lot of clinical applications as they go. I found that when I had time to watch these videos prior to lab (probably less than 50% of the time unfortunately) I felt really well prepared for the dissections and got a lot more out of them.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Some do in varying degrees. Western CVM in Pomona, CA is PBL, Cornell uses some, UCDavis's new curriculum (the one the class after mine started in) uses some. Many older faculty are reluctant to change their teaching styles and methods, I can tell you this from being on the curriculum committee at my school and trying to get everyone all-in on this. A lot of them think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" because the boards pass rate is high and students don't generally commit too much suicide. :rolleyes:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

However, I'm convinced we need to do a better job in examining applicants to vet school to determine their ability to integrate information into a whole picture.

I 100% agree with you, but don't know how you'd go about measuring something like this. For me, I can often see the big picture really well but have problems articulating with enough detail how I got there, or I got there through some different approach than expected. It's sort of frustrating for someone like me to have to break it down into so many little facts and pieces that the first time you hear them out of context seem so irrelevant and arbitrary.

I know a lot of people really like the repetition aspect of a traditional curriculum with normal then abnormal then let's walk us through how to integrate it, but honestly it drives me insane to hear things multiple times like that.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Solis posted:

I can truthfully say I did this once for the experience, then promptly decided I was never going to do it again. Thank god for optional labs.

It's an elective for us too. I figured my vet school experience was not complete without this time honored tradition.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Solis posted:

I can't see an online course being anywhere near as good as a program with hands on experience... There's just so many skills a tech needs that require actually doing them to learn. That's just my opinion though, I obviously haven't dealt with anyone who's gone through that particular course.

The people I know who have done online courses have been people who were already working at vet clinics as (unlicensed) assistants doing most of the hands-on stuff when they started. I could see an online program being beneficial for someone like that. But for somebody starting from scratch...ehh....

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Asstro Van posted:

Seconded. I know someone who is planning on doing an online course because she has been working in a clinic for somewhere over five years but lives in the middle of nowhere, without access to a tech school. The program she was looking at also required her to do certain tasks and have the vet sign off that she did them successfully. That was for being a tech, not an assistant though.

My super biased probably uninformed opinion is that a lot of an assistant's job is "go do this for me," which you are better prepared for by doing things than by solely reading stuff.

oohhh, I can't read words - the poster was asking about an "assistant" course and I was totally jumping to assuming it was a technician course. :downs:

Yeah, I don't really get the utility of an online course for an "assistant" certification. Honestly, I'm not sure I even get the utility of a certification as an assistant at all. Though CA is taking some initiative involving certification of assistants as "technician assistants" mostly from what I can tell.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Underclassfolks go on to explain where thiamine is found in foods. There were a few other comments made that on their own weren't any "ZING" moments (regarding taurine and nutrient utilization), but opened up holes in the arguments by the Facebook group. At that point, however, people stopped posting.

Yeah, I gave up. :effort:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Today I heard about a vet student who named his Boxer puppy Ruby (short for doxorubicin).

I felt the need to share.

Good luck on finals everyone still in classes and early congratulations to our seniors who will be doctors soon!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Solis posted:

I don't mean to crow here but I survived and I am totally in for my clinical year! I don't know about other schools but OVC tries to kill us all at the end of third year...

It seems like here the crazy mostly takes place the last 2 quarters of second year. Last quarter of 3rd year seems pretty decent except for the surgery practical which a lot of people were pretty rattled by. Chaco and HSS can correct me if I'm wrong (and then I will kill myself because second year really, really sucks and if third is worse then uhhhh...).

Congratulations though!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Just make sure you have your elective requirements in check prior to third year - having to take like 16 units when other people are taking 8 because the classes you wanted to take earlier didn't exist anymore isn't fun.

I'm taking both SA and FA Medicine, probably 3 quarters of both so I'll probably end up being okay.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

If it's one thing you guys will learn to hate... it's your pager. Trying to plan what you're gonna be doing for the evening (food, chores, etc., nothing fun... because you're on call) while keeping this tiny device in your pocket... or on your belt... or on your nightstand while you're trying to get some sleep...

I tempted fate and went to play hockey in Vacaville last year when I was on call for SA Med SATC. I only had one inpatient and she was a relatively stable pancreatitis patient, and I figured the SA Med service didn't really do much as far as taking in patients on emergency at 11 pm. I brought the pager out on the bench with me, haha. No page though!

edit: If I were paged I would've still been able to get to the VMTH in less than 30 mins likely, with some speeding, but man I would have smelled awful. :v:

Also I did learn to hate the pager during Neuro summer clinics. On-call sleep was the worst sleep. Maybe it gets better as you get used to it?

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 22, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

:ohdear: something is coming in with a painful abdomen and vomiting PLEASE let it be pancreatitis and not surgical :gonk:

Are you on SA Surgery right now? I'll be doing SATC this weekend for surgery so you can transfer me any cases you have on Friday at 4, haha.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

The puppy was hit by a car in utero?

Glad I'm not the only one still trying to figure that one out.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Did you have to pick up that EMG/muscle biopsy/bilateral FHO that was going on? They were just getting it ready for the FHOs when I left around 4pm. That thing literally was induced at 8am.

No, I took one ortho and one ST case that were going home Sat morning, but then Sat night got called in at 11:30 for a BDLD with a wound that communicated with the rectum. Yeah, emergency went to flush the wound (on the dog's left flank) and the saline went out the rectum. So at 1 am I was scrubbing into surgery so I could hold up the dog's tail and push on the dog's butthole so the surgeon could access the defect to close it. Ended up getting out around 3:30. Sometimes in situations like that, you stand there and reevaluate where your life went wrong...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Goodbye sunlight, home-made food, cats, TV, video games, socializing outside the hospital, etc. etc.

Hello, Neurology rotation.

Two and a half weeks. Going out with a bang.

Well this time you can pass your cases off to me for sure, because I'm on NNS for graduation week treatment crew. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^No, it's not reversible, and why would you want to put the dog through ANOTHER surgery for something it doesn't even notice at this point? :psyduck:

HelloSailorSign posted:

Man, you guys have some EPIC quotes from your classmates.

There are a few who I'd be reluctant to trust the care of a pet rock to, to be honest.

quote:

Oh, I know how Neuro is (I like it too, just not the hours) - I did it as summer clinics twice. Also, one of my friends was on it the rotation before me and was giving me updates on how ridiculously busy they were (I think the most inpatients someone had was... 6? 7? at a time)

Topo, I can even scout out the cases for ya - are you as much of a fan of tedious/tiring treatments (q2 meatball feedings, sling walking the 50kg Mastiff, etc.) as I am? I can be your eyes on the inside. I could also scout out the SUPER CUTE patients or the super awesome clients.

I did NNS summer clinics last year and am doing it again this year too. :)

I like brain cases better than spinal cord cases, but there always seem to be more spinal cord cases! Also cats seem to be at a premium. I got to take exactly 1 cat patient the whole 2 weeks I was there.

quote:

One of the techs was telling us about a case they had awhile back. The topic had been brought up of toxin/illicit substance exposure, and apparently a dog came in for compulsive walking. Otherwise normal examination, but the dog simply would not stop walking. It was also very twitchy and reacting to seemingly nothing. Eventually it did sit, but for short periods of time and always looking around quickly.

My neuro dog acts like that all the time. :saddowns:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 31, 2012

• Locked thread