Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I tend to like Path too... except colic horse necropsies. :gonk:

I can't get that rotting onion smell out of my nose for days.

SO STINKY :gonk: Not much makes me turn green, but colitis and necrotic colic intestines are awful. I don't know how it smells like 900 times worse than the reflux coming out of those horses, but I guess that's a blessing for me.

Hmmm vet student stories. Today in urinalysis lab, one chick brought in her own pee (and offered it to us when the hospital pee samples ran out - thanks, but no thanks). Our clin path residents are cute with adorable accents, so some of the females have a difficult time restraining themselves (I always feel bad for the residents - I figure they go home and drink and tell their buddies about these desperate students). Anyways, this chick was trying to flirt with the poor guy and then made him look at her pee. All he said was "If you were a cat this would be abnormal." Resident 1, creepy vet student 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

The resident on our side of the lab said that they discouraged people from bringing in their own pee, because it got a bit awkward when there was sperm in some girl's sample and she didn't know what it was and asked.

That would have made my year to have been there for that. Alas :(

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Asstro Van posted:

For anyone wondering what vet school is like, I think this is a fairly accurate account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictqCRakTIY

I feel like it misses out on having that one person who always asks annoying questions that no one cares about. I hate that person, especially as she sits right in front of me and screams "QWESCHUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!" to get the prof's attention. Also the person who rephrases what the prof just said to be able to try and sound smart, but then the prof just goes "....that's what I just said" which always makes me giggle.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

(enelrahc is about the same age as me ok actually a little older).
WOW IT'S FOUR MONTHS.

Get off my lawn.
E:

Khelmar posted:

"Starter topics" for conversation:

1. How many tries did it take you to get in?

2. What weight did your school place on different components of the application?

3. Did you interview? What were the questions like?

4. What do you like LEAST about vet school?

5. What do you wish you would have known before starting?

6. If you could start over with undergrad, what would you do differently?
1. I got in first try. I have a pretty strange background (I actually have an MSME from a top tier engineering school and worked in the automotive and medical device industries for a good while), but it was apparently desirable enough. I did have to go back and do part of a post-bacc to fulfill prereqs, so I did that at a local school. I applied to 6 schools, got in to 4, waitlisted to 1, and UPenn didn't interview me. My GPA was pretty good, my GRE was good, and I had lots of experiences I guarantee no one else had on their application.

2. I actually have no idea, but since topoisomerase already answered it and seems to know what she's talking about, I'll go with whatever she said.

3. There are two basic kinds of interviews: the open file and the behavioral. I did both with different schools. I hate the behavioral ones, I don't mind the open file. I got questions about the career change mostly, and then the run of the mill ones about ethics and such. I prepared with the sdn interview questions bank, which worked out well for me.

4. I have a difficult time working with a lot of the people in vet school. I am not a very patient person with certain types of people, and I know that I struggle with dealing with that. My anatomy group was one of the worst experiences of my life. They couldn't have picked worse people to partner me with, but I made it work in a way for me in the end, so whatevs.

5. More biochem. I was definitely at a disadvantage the first year as I didn't have a lot of the preparation the bio majors had had. It's pretty even keel now, but my class rank suffered for it. And yes, grades are dumb, but sadly for the very competitive residencies (which is my current intention, although I'm not sure how feasible it is) the programs care about overall class rank, so we'll see how that ends up. I think that judging us on our 4th year performance and internship performance would be a better metric, but I don't make those decisions.

6. I don't know that I'd change anything. My choices made me the person I am today, and I'm proud of all that I have done. I'll probably never be rich, but whatever, I made a lot of money as an engineer and I was miserable. I'm happier now.

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 6, 2012

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Baika posted:

For all those who have gotten in and if you can remember, what were some of the curve ball questions thrown at you?

"If you were to redesign a cow milking machine to be able to test levels of different substances in the milk, how would you do it?" I knew nothing about cattle, milking machines, or milk components (still don't, really).

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

"I don't remember whether it's strep or staph that is gram negative."

"That's the femororadial joint." "...what?" "Oh sorry, I meant the radiopatellar joint." "...."

"...and that's why you need to be aware of the danger of a thromboembolism to the aortic bifurcation in cats."
"Question - Why haven't you addressed saddle thrombus in this lecture? Isn't it relevant as well?"

I also submit the following phrase I may have emailed to topoisomerase the other day. I should probably get counseling.

"One of these days I'm going to oval office punch *stupid idiot vet student* so hard her whiny bobble head will fly off."

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Pathology descriptions:
Nutmeg liver, tapioca pudding, moroccan leather...

Enelrahc, you just made me burst out laughing in the middle of the Medicine room. I got some weird looks. I told them I was reading VIN. (The Clinical Nutrition message board has some hilarious discussions now and then)

Braki, I was a class officer for awhile, so I heard some more things though that.

Oh I love the clinical nutrition forum. That guy who has been showing up lately who is a giant fan of that crazy RMB australian guy is my FAVORITE. I crack up every time the consultants ignore what he says :3:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh man, the "Balanced Raw Diet?" thread is my current favorite. Is that the same guy? He has been popping up in several threads... I've been reading the boards for awhile now and I don't remember him before last week.

Yeah! I don't know where he came from, but I love him. I would be thrilled if he made a RMB thread like the original trainwreck. That's easily the best thread in the whole site, ever.

E: In true live feed form, I'm adding in the quote "Can you please explain what squams are and why you keep talking about them?" REALLY?!

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 7, 2012

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

YourCreation posted:

Have to love how rabid people get about their favorite food. I remember one of my old colleagues talking about the crazy Australian guy and what a shitstorm VIN became.

You should also check out the Issues and Arguments board for all of your political commentary needs!

Yeah that thread was glorious. I sent it to Braki a couple of months ago...somehow she missed the glory.

Adding in "This is normal placenta in the rhino, but not in the horse." Why would I ever need to know that, EVER. If that's a board question in 2 years, I'm going to be loving pissed.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm not aware of the original thread! I've been trying to search for it and got sidelined by a thread in Alternative Medicine.

Holy crap, I&Arguments is bonkers. It's like D&D but with people using their real names and knowing who everyone else really is. There are several times I've wanted to jump in...

... and then realize I should get a job first and THEN burn my bridges.

Here you go. Sorry for non-vet people - it's restricted access. You have to go to vet school to get access (probably isn't worth it).

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

^ true story. Who does that? What a friggin weirdo.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Didn't your class JUST make a video with that as a scene?

The 2013s were reaching into the future. (Our class isn't nearly that creative)

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Purple laying the smack down. Lioness takes no prisoners.

It's not like we haven't been doing path non-stop since September or anything.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

haha, that's me. congrats on getting in too, was very pleased to see it. :ssh:

HSS:
1) omg that poor dog
2) one of your classmates didn't know cats had anal sacs
3) it was large animal radiology which wasn't open notes. but i don't really get A's in open notes small animal radiology either, mostly because of the musculoskeletal portion every time - I'm pretty good with thoracic and abdominal.

edit: also that girl in the above facebook convo tried to backpedal by saying she meant that it was benign cancer. yep, benign cancer. :downs:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Braki posted:

Today is the last clin path lecture. We are doing our last case. Dear classmate, what do you think of this CBC?

"Um... is this a degenerative left shift?"

Oh classmate, it's been 3 months and you still do not know what a degenerative left shift is even though it's been repeated dozens of times! How the professor has the patience to kindly explain, once again, a very basic concept that we should all know by now, I have no idea, because you are so stupid. Oh look, class is over, there you go, running off, because you always skip class if there is a presentation or something that is not a lecture (never mind how disrespectful it is to your fellow classmates for you to skip out on their presentation). I assume you're skipping to go study, but honestly, if you don't understand the concept of a degenerative left shift after 3 months of constant repetition, I really don't how much that will help you.
One of the people at my table still doesn't get it either and I have to re-explain it every week. I don't get why it's such a hard concept. Are neuts > bands? Check yes or no.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Today someone in class asked if fungi were plants, so the professor had to explain over 5 minutes that they were in a different kingdom.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

No you see she made it a point to turn around and tell me that she was asking if they were on the plant TAKE HOME EXAM because she KNOWS they aren't plants okay...

She is such a shitheel.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Chaco posted:

Also relating to surgery labs, clinics, and future jobs: when you are told not to post pictures, especially gory bloody ones, on facebook they actually mean don't do that. So many of my classmates do it anyway, from bloody surgery pictures from labs to pictures of patients in clinics. I have one friend who graduated last year who posts tons of cases and pictures on facebook, including a recent necropsy of all things.
My favorite was when we were having orientation (ugh) and someone gave a presentation on poo poo that doesn't belong on facebook. Someone from your class took a picture of us watching that presentation with the highly inappropriate fb post on the overhead (of some people at another school smiling through a disemboweled large animal of some sort) in full view in the picture....and posted it to their public fb album.

On another note, I know we have some dudes here. Let's get there.

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 13, 2012

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Can't we just agree that anyone who didn't grow up in a place with a winter is a terrible driver? Cause that's what my highly precise research has shown!

I don't mind Davis (although I don't love it either). I think our roaches are smaller than those in Florida, which is a bonus!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Braki posted:

I can't even agree with that. We have a pretty solid winter here, and the people in this city are absolutely terrible drivers.

Edit: Oh, I'm also now leaning towards a behaviour externship. Is that weird? It just feels like we don't get much of that here; our behaviour segment in first year was all large animal stuff. We fly in a behaviourist for our small animal behaviour elective, but all the elective courses are pretty short. There's no rotation, internal or external, for behaviour, and I feel it's something that'll be useful.
Braki, the first mild rain of winter in the bay means at least 8 cars off the exit ramp before 9am from 85 to 280 in the bay. It's the most simultaneously hilarious and sad thing because it happens EVERY YEAR. I used to think New England drivers were horrible compared to Midwestern (we learn on ice, hardcore), but the Californian drivers are ridiculously awful.

Behavior is fun. If you go to a place with a high caseload it would be a good time.

Chaco, I had to pee the other day and the janitors were cleaning MPT, so I went into VM3 to use one of the resident rooms across from anatomy. Ever one I opened had giant roaches that ran down the drain when I turned on the light....I can't pee with that, so I went home. I also hate walking to the lot at night. Shudder. Roaches terrify me.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I'm not sure there are places with necessarily high behavior caseloads...the appointments are so long!

Gotta be sure to bring all 15 people who live in the house!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Braki, I thought about you today. Select quotes from clin path include "isn't lymphopenia automatically an inflammatory leukogram?" and "Why is a left shift an inflammatory leukogram?" It's our last week of clin path.....for the love...

I'm doing an externship this summer for a month at a big equine practice in SoCal-ish area. I'm super pumped about it as it's where I'd like to do an internship. I have them scheduled for 2 weeks for 4th year too, so hopefully I won't make an rear end of myself this summer and be able to get my foot in the door :)

Enelrahc fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 18, 2012

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I'm in this equine locomotor class that is really cool and had great labs. We're allowed to keep the bones from our lab specimens for teaching specimens when we become ~*real doctors*~, which is awesome cause every person gets a thoracic limb and a pelvic limb by the end of the quarter. After pulling the first leg out of the lye tank after a week of working in the lye, I have never so appreciated our anatomy dept for all the specimens that they made us. This is easily the closest I've come to hurling in vet school. It beats out colitis guts on the path floor by about 100x based on scent and texture. If I can get through this without losing my lunch over the next 5.5 legs, I'm pretty sure I can get through anything.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

"Sooooooo you're doing the nasal swab so that you can identify which antibiotics you will use on the virus, right?"

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Today Topoisomerase and I fisted cows. I can't say I felt all the things we were theoretically supposed to and it was scary to dive in (basically literally) and just do it, but it was still awesome and I know I'll get better with practice. LIVING THE DREAM.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, I gave up. :effort:

To be fair, they had irrefutable evidence from a google search that you were wrong :nyd:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

3rd year is awesome. The worst quarter (in terms of tests and pure :smith:) was Winter quarter 2nd year. I loving loved third year - but was also done with lectures (as in sat in the back playing videogames not listening because gently caress LECTURES) at that point. You guys don't have to do SAVMA Symposium, so you'll have even less to do!

Surgery practical wasn't bad at all - people talk it up a lot but people just like to complain (if you haven't already figured that out).

Thank god cause right now I want to leap off a loving cliff, but only after pushing off all the people who annoy the poo poo out of me first (there are a lot of those).

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Just make sure you have your elective requirements in check prior to third year - having to take like 16 units when other people are taking 8 because the classes you wanted to take earlier didn't exist anymore isn't fun.
Yeah, I'm a little short because I only took one medicine this spring - going to figure it out with the dean next week, but I think I'm going to have to take some random herd health and wildlife poo poo that's supposed to be easy. I think we'll be in moderate trouble too because they're really not offering as many electives next year due to the curriculum changes. Woooooooo being the last class in the old curriculum is awesome.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I've never slept through my pager, but I'm always terrified that I will. I sleep really hard and have to take some meds before I sleep that really don't help either. I clip it to my shirt when I sleep. I tried to find a stand to put it on that would detect it vibrating and set off a siren, but what I got just didn't work :(

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Yep, still in classes. I hate you guys. Care factor is exponentially decreasing.

Topoisomerase and I made horse sperm art yesterday. I dub this new art form "splart." I think this art form should help defray our massive looming debt.

I definitely need a better splart camera than my lovely phone.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

No, I took one ortho and one ST case that were going home Sat morning, but then Sat night got called in at 11:30 for a BDLD with a wound that communicated with the rectum. Yeah, emergency went to flush the wound (on the dog's left flank) and the saline went out the rectum. So at 1 am I was scrubbing into surgery so I could hold up the dog's tail and push on the dog's butthole so the surgeon could access the defect to close it. Ended up getting out around 3:30. Sometimes in situations like that, you stand there and reevaluate where your life went wrong...

I hope you called it the Jenna surgical approach.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Goodbye sunlight, home-made food, cats, TV, video games, socializing outside the hospital, etc. etc.

Hello, Neurology rotation.

Two and a half weeks. Going out with a bang.

Neuro is fun! Except for bitey dachshunds. No one likes those.

Someone who worked for years as an ICU tech just thought plasma volume was TP quantities and questioned why TP was going down from 22.5 to 18.2 during exercise. She didn't question the enormous magnitude of these numbers, just wondered why the TP was going down during exercise when he had said in the previous slide that they went up.

I'm so ready to be done with this quarter.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

It's so refreshing to see the young ones still with vim and vigor.

Me, I get excited when OMG IT'S TIME TO GO HOME I CAN DRINK WATER AND MY URINARY SYSTEM JUST *MIGHT* NOT TURN INTO A ROCK. Although I do have a much bigger appreciation for dehydrated patients. Fluid planning is important!

Or YAY I can take my famotidine my four ulcers are fighting each other at the moment and gently caress they really just need to stop being douches and live with each other.

My legs and back... oh god... the awkward surgery positions...

Also alcohol. Elixir of life. No, no I'm not an alcoholic. You're only an alcoholic if you go to the meetings. There is no time in vet school for meetings.

The only reason I've been able to study this quarter is through the help of cost plus raspberry sparkletini. $4.99 a bottle, it makes lovely 2nd year marginally tolerable. I'm going to have end stage liver by 4th year.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Congrats on getting out of the hellhole, Dr Chaco and Dr HelloSailorSign! Way to escape! I'm jealous...two more long, long years :(

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I'm doing two weeks of clinics. The medicine week was good and my super sick horse that we thought we were going to have to kill perked up and went home. I am very happy about that. This horse had a terrible life and some terrible things happen to her, and she deserves the chance to get better and be some nice little girl's dream horse. The surgery week I was excited for because I really love surgery, but I haven't gotten to cut anything and my 4th year keeps tossing me under the bus to cover her own insecurities, so I'm looking forward to the end of this week. I'm getting really frustrated with myself as well. I've lost some confidence in some skills I thought that I did pretty well and worked hard to learn, and it's very frustrating/embarrassing. All in all, kinda a sucky week so far. I'm on call tonight so I'll probably get called in at 3am for a non-emergency. It's just that kind of week.

After that, I'm working for a solid month then going on externship for 4 weeks. Should be good.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Diablo III. It was my graduation gift to myself.

Fake edit: Jeez Enelrahc, that sucks about the fourth year. Just keep your head up and be the better person. They'll end up worse off in it anyway. Sad to say, but it does happen - even with people your own year during fourth year. One guy did it almost everyday to *someone* he was working with - I was the brunt of some, I even walked in on a couple times while he was throwing me under the bus.

I want to play D3 so badly, but I just don't have time or a machine to play it on.

I'm just trying to let it roll off my back, but it's really hard at times because that's just not really my personality. I've worked really hard to help acclimate the new 4th years (and the summer clinics people) to our part of the vmth and I work really hard in general, and it really sorta hurts to have residents/faculty come ask me why I haven't done things that I wasn't asked to do/weren't my responsibility. I'm the person who is first there and last to go, every day, and I'm always happy to lend a hand to someone who needs some help. All they have to do is ask because I'm not a mind reader. Ah well. I need to get more sleep so I'm less emotional and just get through the next few days without people thinking I'm a tragic case of someone who ate lead paint as a child and managed to get into vet school.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Pladdy posted:

I'm in College Station this summer and I have a few questions:

1. How do you guys who go to Texas A&M stand this heat? This place is ridiculous.
2. I'm going to be a senior in college this year and trying to see if I can apply to vet school this cycle. This is a somewhat recent idea for me, so I have no vet experience, but I do have a lot of other animal experience. I've got a position lined up for when I get home in August, but does anyone know a place where I could get some experience before then? I've called all the veterinary offices in the area but couldn't find anything. It would be nice to get some hours in before then because the deadline to apply is quickly approaching and I want to see if I really want to go to vet school.
1) Texas.
2) I got lots of my vet experience through volunteering at the vet clinic in an animal shelter. It was hard work and free work and often depressing work, but I learned a lot.

Not having any vet experience so late in the game might make it a little tough for you for this year's cycle unless you have a lot of research experience with animals. They want to make sure you know what you're getting into. Make sure you address that in your personal statement.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Crooked Booty posted:

After 3 months of clinicians telling me I was being a paranoid vet student, it turns out my puppy (GSD mix :argh:) probably either has a sliding hiatal hernia or a vascular ring anomaly. Fluoroscopy next week. :(

Vet student curse is a motherfucker. I'm sorry!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I basically live in the Cherokee cargo scrubs. They are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Is most everyone back in school except for me and topo? We start late...

I'm currently on a 4 weeks externship at a really nice equine practice. It's been really fun. I've gotten a lot of good practice on anesthesia, radiography, ultrasound, and some tech skills I don't always get to do in my regular job, so that's been great. I am looking forward to diving into 3nd year though - Team Nyan needs to chop some balls and uteri out of some dogs and cats!

• Locked thread