Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I guess if you have a kid to drag around the traditional methods of travel could be annoying, but gently caress I really can't think of any place in Taiwan that I'd want to go that a bus/train/mrt/taxi wouldn't get me to cheaper and quicker than dragging my own drat car there. Like I know people in Taiwan have cars but I always just assumed that they were some kind of dumb status symbol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Skodas have a wait list somewhere. This is why you have to talk to everyone. The things you learn!

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
It's all because of that drat dance.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dance in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZzmNojdoE

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Holy gently caress lmao.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

amazing

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Handsome dancer.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

At least we got the main parking around our apartment sorted out, even if it is like a 20% increase in rent. We're getting a Suzuki Ignis, hopefully on Wednesday now. Wanted a smaller car, but something we could pay in full for a new car. And Skodas had a 5 month waitlist.

Seems decent; I drive a Honda Fit, which is another subcompact, and the size does make driving around and parking here way easier. FYI: a way to quickly know whether a car has a bad, aggressive, or badgressive driver is to see if the car’s logo is an L

Spanish Matlock posted:

I guess if you have a kid to drag around the traditional methods of travel could be annoying, but gently caress I really can't think of any place in Taiwan that I'd want to go that a bus/train/mrt/taxi wouldn't get me to cheaper and quicker than dragging my own drat car there. Like I know people in Taiwan have cars but I always just assumed that they were some kind of dumb status symbol.

Depends what you need to do and where you need to go; commuting to work would be an hour to an hour twenty by bus for me, there’s no guarantee that I get a seat, and chances are the A/C will be set to “cryogenic”, whereas it’d be like half an hour to forty minutes driving in a car with climate controls you can set to something humane. It’s also good for minor travel to the other cities and regions on the island p easy. If you’re already in the city and tend to stay there, I’d totally just use public transit or use a scooter at most.

And of course cars are still some kind of dumb status symbol for a lot of people. Not even just the Benzes BMWs and Ferraris, but the basic cars that have been modded with vinyl stickers and LED light strips in a clashing eye-challenging design that only children could possibly think of as “this is a good idea, this looks good and cool”.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What, you mean you don't belong to the Honda Fit Club of Northern Taiwan, nor have stickers all over your car identifying how cool you are for being a Fit driver? What kind of monster are you??

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duckfarts posted:

Seems decent; I drive a Honda Fit, which is another subcompact, and the size does make driving around and parking here way easier. FYI: a way to quickly know whether a car has a bad, aggressive, or badgressive driver is to see if the car’s logo is an L

I think you mean a diamond with a line in it, and its blue.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I drive a Nissan Sentra and while not being tiny, it's small enough that driving is easy and big enough to fit a bunch of stuff in it. Parking has gotten way way way better in Kaohsiung. There are lots everywhere now. I pay 1500/month at my apartment. 1600/month at my school.

AC is awesome. Clean inside car air is awesome. Safety is awesome. Sacrificing a little time travelling in a car vs a scooter / public transport is worth it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lol of course of all the countries in the world taiwan would be the one where skodas aren't a synonym for trash

~~~ oof ~~~

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well, when you get a car its always time to go on a trip. So on our maiden voyage my wife and I went to see the Wufeng Lin Family Chinese House that is actually just 20 minutes away and we could have done it by scooter but shut up car is nice and air conditioned. Big parts of it were destroyed in the 9/21 earthquake, and very few signs were in English, but there were some cool artifacts in there. I wanted to try and learn a bit more about Lin Hsien-Tang, who was important during the colonial era. Basically most of the major secondary education schools in Taichung and Taipei were started by him and his family. I believe this part of the family started Changhua bank, so if you've seen those around (and you have) then you see some kind of influence still left by them. Lin Hsien-tang was a big proponent of Taiwan "self-rule" during the era and started several different "Taiwanese culture" organizations, which were kind of a cover to say "see, we're not anti-Japanese, we're just very pro Taiwanese!"

Here is a big gun and how to use it. Must suck for the guy in front.

Lin really hated the ROC after 2/28, and alot of his friends/supporters were jailed during it. Alot of the leniency that was shown his way in the 1920s and 1930s about self-government quickly went away once the Nationalists took over. It was kind of amazing what Lin and a couple other lil' rich boys got away with during the colonial era. Reminds me of the American founding fathers all being rich slave-owning businesses men who got away with alot of poo poo while if the poor in the country protested against that kind of treatment they got massacred, several times over, in that 50 year span. Reading up on the topic, it seemed like every other year up until 1934 there was a case of Japanese soldiers going into a village (Han or Aboriginal) and just killing everyone inside.

It was interesting to see a bit more about this era of Taiwan. I live very close to Taichung train station and the center of the city, and I never stopped to think about all the things that are still around during the colonial era. Most of the architecture in the central district is still from that time period. I'm real lucky in my high school history class to be teaching about Taiwanese history 1945-2000, and this was kind of the backstory to what went on.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
AIT sent me an email about the earthquake at 3:50. Thanks guys... I guess.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I'm going to be studying in Taipei for two or three months over the summer. Does anyone have any advice for finding affordable short-term housing?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Laocius posted:

I'm going to be studying in Taipei for two or three months over the summer. Does anyone have any advice for finding affordable short-term housing?

Try the Facebook groups for Taipei foreigners—people showing up for short periods is pretty common and there are other students and associated people with flexible housing situations available.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Congratulations Taiwan on achieving Marriage equality. 🇹🇼🌈

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Negative Entropy posted:

Congratulations Taiwan on achieving Marriage equality. 🇹🇼🌈

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Congratulations Taiwan on flooding yet again.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm going to Taiwan for about a week in late September/early October, but I don't know a lot about the place. At that time of year, what kind of weather should I expect? And are there are any places that particularly are/aren't worth going to at this time of year (as opposed to other times)?

I thought about spending 3 days in Taipei and then checking out a couple of other places, but I'm not sure if that would be rushing things. Or if Taipei is interesting enough to spend a lot more time in. I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations, I really know very little at the moment

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 28, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paperhouse posted:

I'm going to Taiwan for about a week in late September/early October, but I don't know a lot about the place. At that time of year, what kind of weather should I expect? And are there are any places that particularly are/aren't worth going to at this time of year (as opposed to other times)?

I thought about spending 3 days in Taipei and then checking out a couple of other places, but I'm not sure if that would be rushing things. Or if Taipei is interesting enough to spend a lot more time in. I would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations, I really know very little at the moment

It'll have started to cool off by Sept/Oct but it'll still be hot. 3 days in Taipei is probably a good short tour depending on what you're interested in--seeing Taipei 101, the National Palace Museum, the tea farms up in the Maokong area?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Paperhouse posted:

Taipei is a cool modern city. The weather is warm all year and sometimes you can wear a jacket for like a week in February. As was said museums, maokong, and night markets should make for a good three day tour. If your into it there's a solid nightlife scene in Taipei so it's pretty easy to just hit a bar and make friends.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Every year I give my older students the political compass test for fun. Fun is mostly had by me.
I was trying to explain the Political Compass quarters and once I get to the Libertarian Right quarter, I go into the Rothbeard "free market of children" and pedophilia jokes, and one my students says "Han Guo-Yu is probably there, he looks like he has sex with kids."

It's funny to be because I know alot of their parents are big KMT people but all their kids don't like the KMT and hate Han.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can someone give me a brief rundown of the Taiwanese political parties and/or candidates?

I've seen that you've an upcoming election over there in Jan 2020 but I've no idea about who's who when I read about it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

simplefish posted:

Can someone give me a brief rundown of the Taiwanese political parties and/or candidates?

I've seen that you've an upcoming election over there in Jan 2020 but I've no idea about who's who when I read about it

The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP, Green) is in power right now. Tsai Ing-wen 蔡英文 is running for re-election.

The Kuomintang (KMT, blue) is challenging. Their candidate is Kaohsiung mayor Han Kuo-yu 韓國瑜 or “Korean Fish”, who was elected in an upset last year—Kaohsiung usually being green territory. Some people think he’s running for President because he’s not confident he can get re-elected in Kaohsiung. He was challenged by Foxconn founder Terry Gou 郭台銘, who claimed that the sea goddess Mazu came to him in a dream and told him to run for President of the ROC. He lost. There’s still the possibility that he’ll split off from the KMT and form his own party, though, which would hurt Han a lot more than it would hurt Tsai.

There’s also Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je 柯文哲, who has formed his own party and left the door open to running for President. I don’t think he’s considered a serious challenger but he would probably drain more from Tsai than Han.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pirate Radar posted:

He was challenged by Foxconn founder Terry Gou 郭台銘, who claimed that the sea goddess Mazu came to him in a dream and told him to run for President of the ROC.

That's a pretty fuckin mint origin stor-

Oh well.

Thanks for the info, what are the general directions they lean on key issues? Come to mention it, what are the general key issues for Taiwan?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

simplefish posted:

That's a pretty fuckin mint origin stor-

Oh well.

Thanks for the info, what are the general directions they lean on key issues? Come to mention it, what are the general key issues for Taiwan?

Cross-Strait relations mean almost everything. There are a couple other differences between the KMT and DPP (nuclear power being a big one, LGBT rights to some extent as well but that is more based on a young/old divide) but almost everything big comes down to the big neighbor next door.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The power plant divide is so loving frustrating because you want to support the DPP on basically everything else but that is so dumb.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Any goons in Taichung? I'm here for another two weeks, and I realized I'm going to be all alone during 中秋節 and I'm not sure how to celebrate it. :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Any goons in Taichung? I'm here for another two weeks, and I realized I'm going to be all alone during 中秋節 and I'm not sure how to celebrate it. :(

Go get some BBQ. I'm with in-laws this weekend (and the next) but that's basically it. It is the closest to a "just chill and grill" holiday you can find. If you can't do it outside try and find some people who want to go to one of those "grill your own stuff" places.

https://www.facebook.com/WowCool1618/

This is an excellent one but would set you back a couple thousand each per person.

And I guess learn how to open up a pomelo (or just get a pomelo tea.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hey since china stopped giving out tourist visas to chinese people taiwan is cheap as hell for this year's golden week so I am probably gonna pop over.

i havent been to taiwan since i lived in taipei as a student in 2008 to i will mostly just be wandering around and eating food. is going down to tainan/gaoxiong worth it if i've never been?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

hey since china stopped giving out tourist visas to chinese people taiwan is cheap as hell for this year's golden week so I am probably gonna pop over.

i havent been to taiwan since i lived in taipei as a student in 2008 to i will mostly just be wandering around and eating food. is going down to tainan/gaoxiong worth it if i've never been?

Kaohsiung was votes like 5th most up and coming tourist city in Asia by someone somewhere man you can’t miss it

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Kaohsiung was votes like 5th most up and coming tourist city in Asia by someone somewhere man you can’t miss it

today i learned kaohsiung is gaoxiong lmao what romanization system is that

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Magna Kaser posted:

It’s just W-G I’m pretty sure

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s just W-G I’m pretty sure

I feel like a lot of Taiwan has some inconsistent romanization but I dunno

Magna Kaser posted:

From now on just refer to it as Takao, the Japanese name, to make everyone happy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

I feel like a lot of Taiwan has some inconsistent romanization but I dunno

From now on just refer to it as Takao, the Japanese name, to make everyone happy

It got that name because its Chinese name used to be 打狗

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

It got that name because its Chinese name used to be 打狗

So is it that it used to be 打狗 then the Japanese changed it to Takao written as 高雄 which sounds similar, and it stuck?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

So is it that it used to be 打狗 then the Japanese changed it to Takao written as 高雄 which sounds similar, and it stuck?

Yeah. The Japanese thought 打狗 was an undignified name for a city. The name originally meant something like “bamboo forest” in the local aboriginal language and the Chinese settlers thought it sounded like 打狗.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/foxconns-gou-quits-opposition-kmt-033518753.html

Kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Broke: Gou will divide the vote and allow the Greens to slide to a win.

Woke: Gou will win and hand over the country to the PRC because most his factories are in the PRC and his US deal seems to be DOA.