Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I swear by canine choice if you can get hold of it (I'm in the UK) or equivalent. We rescue, foster, help rehome and rehab all kinds of pups and get good healthy movements and skin/coat with the stuff. I'm not an all meat feeder but I don't think grains are important for canines and there's little evidence to suggest otherwise. There's some non grain carbs in CC.

I'd feed raw if I could but I rent and don't have a good space that I can easily hose down. So I compromise with what I believe to be reasonable dry food and use rope toys to replace the raw chewing.

Hello btw first Pet Island post, time at home is much welcomed pooch time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

In addition to the above question, how is the dog when your wife shows you affection?

Is there a pattern settled into now where one is doing more of the walks or play than the other?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

No vet ruling by any means but "worry if persistently runny" has served us well for over 15 years

e:

My apologies I keep meaning to reply to this and then forgetting.

DeceasedHorse posted:

That's a possibility. I wouldn't say she's noticeably nervous in terms of showing fear about the dog, but ever since the dog became less affectionate, she has been striving to get more attention. However, she told me the other day that she plans to back off these efforts. I suppose, more generally, that I might come off as more confident, although I am not sure how the dog would gauge that. I am certainly less diffident when it comes to people.

Overthinking things can certainly create tension which dogs absolutely pick up on, which depending on the dog can result in reticence to interact. The single most valuable thing you can do before an interaction with any dog is a deep breath and ensuring you're going in calm but confident.

DeceasedHorse posted:

He doesn't care at all when she shows affection for me or vice versa.

I asked that in case the affection/climbing on you was claiming you/being dominant, which would be evident in interactions between you and others.

DeceasedHorse posted:

In terms of walks, she has been waking up early and taking him for a brief 10 to 15 minute walk before work, I take him outside to eliminate around twice a day, so five to ten minute walks then, and then we walk him together in the evening after work for at least an hour. Since we work from home for now, he is generally napping next to one of us--more often me than her, although that could also be a function of the good furniture being close to my computer.

In terms of play, he and I play "fetch" (really, more me chasing him) and tug of rope more often than she plays fetch with him. I don't believe that she play tug of rope with him at all. However, she has been taking the lead re: training, which right now consists of shake and our mostly failed attempts to get him to pull on his leash less. His shake training right now is getting him to paw at her hand to get treats, which strikes me as play, but maybe the dog views this as work?

There's not really that granular a differentiation with dogs, it's stimulation, pure and simple. Do be sure if playing tug of rope, you end up the winner/owner of the rope. You're competing for a prize which is instinctively a game of dominance. Absolutely fine if the dog does not win, can lead to problems if it can overpower you.

Without seeing the interactions I don't see anything from your eloquent description that's cause for alarm, other than perhaps there's a tension with your wife overthinking the interaction which you've already identified. It's not unusual for a dog to bond to an individual while still being happy as part of the "pack". It may be a respectful distance from your wife that has been recognised as the pack leader. My staffy is "my dog" in the family of four, but for pure affection it's all between him and the girls because I'm his pack leader and he maintains a respectful distance. There's also a different dynamic between each of our dogs and each of the humans of the family. Dogs gravitate to certain "energies" (I don't know of a better word for it and I like Cesar's), and your dog seems to particularly like yours. It doesn't need to be an issue and a relationship between your pooch and your wife all of its own can grow organically and entirely separately. Some take time. I love dogs, my fiancee and I together and separately have adopted, fostered and helped rehabbed many different pups, but even there some I warm to and some take a lot more time.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 9, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Absolutely. Night time is when I get close time with Staffy when it's time to relax, during the day he's all about the high energy kids.

Dogs are wonderful creatures.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Listen to your breeder, they know more about dogs than you do
- Talk to your vet

I am not taking the blame if you let your puppy outside and they get sick.

Yeah this. Would you be asking the same if dealing with an infant and their shots if the advice was the same? You've taken on a puppy, you're effectively a parent.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mothers correct with a nip or a growl and will remove a misbehaving puppy from the pack. Try a pinch to the scruff or hind area to correct the bite, if this doesn't work move the puppy away from you (do not move away from them) every time the bite occurs. Social exclusion is more impactful than a corrective touch so I wouldn't go to that immediately. Instincts are working now, so you can take advantage of that while getting commands like "no" to take.

Source: we're a couple that have had dogs of all shapes and sizes over the years, vast majority rescues and some unwanted pups with local RSPCA volunteering as well. Do let me know if the above isn't helpful, I'll ask my partner who has more hands on puppy experience than I do.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Not at all silly if you can hit the right sort of pitch. A short hit on a ref's whistle has been helpful in the past. I usually try and work with things that I can have/use anywhere first and hands are usually on that list whether it's a touch or thankfully a decent click.

Anyway I am being terribly rude barging in and not sharing. Our latest rescue and my boy Bruce:

Our Jack Russell Florence and an old fella we have stay with us whenever the owner is away

Speaking of dog sitting, this occasional stray is from my partner's aunt and uncle and goes by the name of Paddy. Spoiled rotten at home but he gets it here and is a very good boy

There's a pug that we have too that's very hard to get a good picture of as he is entirely black and light seems to not escape at all:

:)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

MF_James posted:

I would like to steal WALK Bruce, where can I find him?

Almost always within a few feet of me haha

He's the gentlest soul despite what he's been through and gets bossed by the other two all the time. It was a weird adoption as we were originally just fostering so we picked him up from being neutered at the vets and that was it he's not left since. He just gazed at me from out of this massive floppy cone of shame the entire ride home

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Help.

Help me.

Help me and my puppy.

What is the preferred method for teaching puppy to be ok with a nap, or alone time?

I put her down for an hour, and the whole hour she is crying, barking, howling. Very upset.

Then, unrested, she's extra cranky when i come back, to try and train.

Please advise. 12 weeks old.

This is training, don't try and train other things until this is right. Separation anxiety is normal, leave something that smells of you with the pup and just be in a room together and come and go for a few seconds at a time, gradually building up the time you're gone.

E: Don't extend the time until it's a total non issue that you left for 10 seconds then returned.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shebrew posted:

I’m about to adopt a dog who’s approximately 2 years old, from Romania, and with an unknown background. According to his foster mom (who will have had him for about a week when we pick him up) he‘a afraid of men. I’m prepping my flat as much as possible to help set him up for success when he arrives, and other than having my boyfriend be in charge of feeding and otherwise be extra quiet around him and give him space, I’m looking for any tips. Any other ideas to set things up so my pup will be be able to be able to be comfortable around men?

I've been thinking about this post for a while. Is it at all possible for you to spend time alone to build up trust with the dog before introducing a trigger? You'll be much better set up for success if the introduction to your boyfriend is done from a state of calm trust. You don't mention how severe the problem is, "afraid" could be anything from nervous to potentially aggressive.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Doesn't sound too bad then, make that first encounter as positive as possible and don't make a big fuss when the dog shuts down, just don't let them avoid or flee (certainly don't entice with chicken while avoiding, that will reinforce that response). With a nervous dog, "this is normal and you are safe" (this being your usual environment) is an important early understanding.

I'd certainly try and have the first thing the dog notices when entering the home for the first time is boyfriend hand with raw chicken in it, ready right at nose level.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yeah just accept it now, hope you have a good vacuum cleaner!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Nothing recently (he did have a bad run in with a dog around there a year ago, but the dog and the dog's owner moved out a while back so that isn't an issue anymore), but maybe it is an issue with the lobby? There's a side entrance I can use to get in the building, I can give that a shot with the next walk to see how it goes.

Don't avoid, deal. If you start avoiding the lobby you'll reinforce that the dog should. It's normal to go through the lobby so make sure you're as calm as possible when returning. Don't push on through returning home until the dog is calm at the threshold to the lobby, then you walk in. If pooch kicks off as you go to walk in, repeat. The message is that progression (and treats) occur when calm pup is calm and trusting the leader (you).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Also ditch the harness and when they're settled use something that sits well at the top of the neck so you can communicate effectively via the leash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Update on this, I've been going this direction with the lobby issue, and he's back to walking happily through the front door of the building again.

Thanks!

Delighted to hear it!

The Bananana posted:

No suggestions RE my Thrashing Puppy?
Or am i over reacting?

You're not overreacting, it's unwanted/unhealthy behaviour and should be addressed, assuming pup can fit ok in the carrier (too confined and it's a valid legit reaction). I'm guessing at some point pup went into the carrier in a not good calm state and now associates that state of mind with that situation. Pooch needs to be calm before you shut the door (use treats to encourage) and crucially also doesn't get to come out unless calm.